Search Unity

UMA - 3dScan realistic textures

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Jan 9, 2014.

1. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    Converting the texture to JPEG is not a good move, as it´s compression isn´t lossless.
    I´ve been testing UMA on IOS, but don´t work on android devices yet, though I imagine this might be an isolated case as I didn´t heard other devs with the same problem.
    Can you share a print screen of one of the sin textures selected, and showing all import settings?

Cheers

2. Dirrogate

Dirrogate

Good Morning.
    I've attached a screenshot, though i'm not quite sure if this is what you meant. ( i didn't understand the "showing all import settings" part)
    $uma_android_error2.jpg

I tried different settings in UMA,
    • Unchecked compressed textures
    • reduced atlas size to 1024
    • Convert render texture checked, convert mip maps checked
    • then, with convert Render texture unchecked, convert mip maps unchecked
    • I also tried one of the mobile render friendly options as the little prompt shows to do so in the screenshot in the texture panel... no luck.
    All the above with different tries, and saving as a prefab via UMA power tools, yields an avatar that is perfect in texture as long as Unity is running in PC mode.

Once you switch unity to Android mode, the textures show up in the editor screen on the PCas like in the screen-shot and the previous images I included in this thread.
    Of-course compiling to Android device shows the same banded/messed up texture.

Actually, it's easy to replicate this error if you want to try:
    1) Create a UMA character. (no need to even save it as a prefab via UMA powertools)
    2) Switch Unity to android development mode
    3) You'll see the textures messed up

However, if it doesnt happen to you, then I'll know it's unique to my setup.
    My setup is Unity 4.3.4f1 (Pro)
    Latest UMA from the asset store
    Latest UMA Powertools from asset store.

Kind Regards.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  3. Dirrogate

Dirrogate

Ok, the texture problem seems to be solved. I followed your clue and switched project from PC to Iphone and the textures were fine.
    But when I switched to Android they were getting compressed/messed up.

I then clicked each texture (in android development mode) and chose true color, which has fixed it.
    (I'm still learning so, thank you for the help and the time taken to convert the Infinite Realities scan. It is worth the $10 price)

Kind Regards.

4. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    Great to hear it worked =)
    I was about to explain where to look for the import settings =D
    Cheers

5. Tryz

Tryz

Assets look great, but I've run into a problem. I'm getting the following error:
    UMAResourceNotFoundException: SlotLibrary: Unable to find: MaleEyes
    SlotLibrary.InstantiateSlot (System.String name) (at Assets/UMA/Example/Scripts/SlotLibrary.cs:81)

Reproduce:
    1. Create new Unity project (4.5)
    2. Import UMA
    3. Import High Poly Mesh
    4. Import Dionysus
    5. Run DionysusExampleScene.unity

I'm just starting to play with it. So, I may be able to figure this out, but any help would be appreciated. :)

[Edit]
    Found out the problem was that a lot of the slot items in the Slot Library vanished. The slot fields were there, but they were empty. Once I put all the slots from "UMA/UMA_Assets/Slots/" in the empty fields, I was fine.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  6. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    Sorry for this error, as you´ve noticed, the library on the example scene had slots missing, this probably happened after changes on UMA 1.21. I´ll check all my assets with UMA 1.21 and Unity 4.5 again to be sure if there are more references missing on libraries.
    Thanks!

7. iamtanmay

iamtanmay

Hey Fernando, your website is down. I can't try any of the webplayers :(

Do you mind putting the Dionysus and High Poly webplayers on dropbox or smthg ?

8. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

The server should be back in a matter of one or two hours, if that´s not the case I´ll get a webplayer link for you ;)

9. iamtanmay

iamtanmay

Allright, but just so you know, I did try Huika site quite a few times this week to get the Content Creation stuff. Found it on your GitHub afterwards.

Its probably a good idea to host these things on a 3rd party like GitHub / Dropbox and just embed on your site. That way you save a ton on bandwidth bills, and they are available even if your site crashes.

10. iamtanmay

iamtanmay

I personally hosted a lot of Webplayers on Github, Its called Github pages, and it works really well. Its great for a quick demo for friends or colleagues. You just push your Webplayer Git and presto its available online without needing FTP or smthg.

I'll shut up now.

11. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hey =)
    I had most of my content on dropbox, but they have a limit of how much data can be downloaded per day by users, and I managed to hit this limit with frequency, so I ended up deciding to host the webplayers myself while keeping the content data and the project itself on Git.

12. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

That´s a great feedback, and I´ve never heard about Github pages before =) Thanks a LOT =D

Edit:
    I ended up redirecting UMA Beta test website to the UMA WIKI, so that all information and content can be kept on a more public area where other devs can contribute.

13. iamtanmay

iamtanmay

BTW, Github pages does not have a bandwidth/frequency limit, just like normal Github repos don't have bandwidth limits (they are both basically the same thing).

I actually put a webplayer for a school, with a visitor counter that reached 10k in a week -_- Github didn't care, and the webplayer is still running even with the massive amount of tiny kids using it.

And there Terms of Agreement allows for Commercial Usage. So you can put your company website or even Ads, and that's fine.

So, if you are worried about Dropbox limits - GitHub-Pages is unbeatable. Its better even than Google's or Microsoft's services. The only comparison would be Baidu - which also doesn't have bandwidth limits.

.... i'll shut up now XD

14. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

The webplayers should be back online, sorry for taking longer than I expected.
    You might need to clear cache in case they don´t work immediately.
    Cheers

15. iamtanmay

iamtanmay

You know, I have to thank you and your Unity sponsor. I have heavily modified your framework and done all sorts of fantastic AAA magic character creation with it.

I attached all sorts of things to your characters, IBL, TextToSpeech with facial animation, ragdoll/IK, Action camera, RPG framework. I have random terrain, foliage, monsters etc in my levels, and I am about to make a random NPC generator to populate my levels also. YOU MADE IT SO EASY !!!**

** only if the user knows C# well XD

I think you would make money if you had a more beginner oriented commercial asset (UMAzing was in the right direction). There is no other character generation package, and a "Customize character kit" that non programmers could use would seriously sell. It would be the NGUI of character design XD

Your engine is so powerful, but it lacks a nice 'Wizard' that would make it a killer app. Considering how hard you worked on this, it really is a shame if more people don't use this because of learning curve. This should be a gold mine for you XD

Really, the potential with UMA is endless !

JoeStrout likes this.
  16. iamtanmay

iamtanmay

Ah, sorry for talking so much. I actually was curious how your changed the IRScan UV Texture to the UMA UV Texture (I used their Odysseus model, so I know their Texture is much weirder than the nice texture you made.)

I am guessing, this is a Blender trick with UV Unwrap somehow ? Is it the UV unwrap from View ?

17. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hey =)
    Actually the model volume and color information is completely projected into UMA default base mesh, that´s probably a crazy process that I´ve been improved since I´ve created UMA to manage getting the fine detail from complex meshes and to help sculpting new detail.

I´ve also been playing with photogrammetry some months ago for some interesting combinations, here´s my mother head Umanized (not real time as well) =)

18. iamtanmay

iamtanmay

Yeah, I use that quite a lot for a lot of small object generation. Results are just so good, compared to paying artists 1000's of $.

I understand the projection from one mesh to the other is also done in Blender ? Is there a word for this process, so I can google and research myself ?

19. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

This video tutorial provides a great overview of all the process:

I don´t use their software for that, but the concept is the same.
    Cheers

20. hopeful

hopeful

Feel free to share your secrets! :)

21. iamtanmay

iamtanmay

@hopeful - You mean for the TextToSpeech ? IBL is available via Lux which is free, ragdoll/IK, camera, etc, there's plenty of free and good stuff available that you can just drop onto UMA.

For the TTS, I just got the URL for the TTS engine, say Google Translate, and then WWW to download the audio file. I use Speecher with UMA, and I play the audio, and that's it. You would still need to buy speecher to do the facial animation on UMA. There is Targarela, that is free, but doesn't use bones, so you would have to make changes.

If you want to know how to get Google to produce TTS for you, just go to google translate, type a text, hit the play button. Then look at the page source to find the mp3 file. The URL to the mp3 file will contain the text you typed in. So for different text, just change the URL to whatever text you like. Its magic !

22. iamtanmay

iamtanmay

@FernandoRibeiro - So you transformed the IR mesh to the UMA mesh. Is there a step 2 after that ? I mean, how do you then transfer the UV from Mesh1 to Mesh2, even if they are superimposed ?

23. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Only texture data have to be projected, you can keep the original uv and UMA base mesh UV. The texture projection can be done in any 3d software.

24. palaxe

palaxe

Hi Fernado,
    Btw your Dionysus works great in my project. Thanks for putting him up for sale.
    So my question is they have the UMA FB1/MB1 Mage Refit ( Robe ) for sale and it
    says it requires Unity 4.5.3.
    I'm using Unity 4.3.4 --- with Atavism.
    So you have your slot, overlay, fbx mesh and textures. I can't see any reason why the robes wouldn't work in unity 4.3.4.
    But I wouldn't want to buy them if they didn't.

You would know most about this. I wrote the author he didn't know as well.

So what do you think?

25. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

hey =)
    The required version of unity listed at the asset is based on the unity version the content creator was using for sending the files.
    I usually keep an old Unity version so that my assets can work with UMA minimum version requirement.

26. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

Hi, firstly you are a legend.

Secondly, after purchasing are we able to load the model in to blender or zbrush and modify the male character model?
    What file type is provided?

Thanks,

27. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hey hi there =) Lol thanks!
    The provided files for "3dScan realistic textures" are only textures, I don´t include the geometry itself. You can customize the resulting body by editing the textures or merging them with different files.
    If you would like to sculpt your own detail, the source files for the base mesh are available here:
    https://github.com/huika/UMA-Extrafiles

Cheers

28. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

Thanks. Does the high poly uma model for close ups includes the files for the base mesh?

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

Fernando... I downloaded the Twood armor set for UMA from the asset store and the "Random Pool" demo scene works great, but trying to get it to work via code is twisting and gnarling the arms and fingers..

My code for the arms and other armor parts is like this:
    umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList[12] = slotLibrary.InstantiateSlot("TwoodArmorA_Arms");
    umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList[12].AddOverlay(overlayLibrary.InstantiateOverlay("TwoodArmorA_Arms", shirtColors[selectedMaleShirtColor]));

And this is the result:

Just for this picture, I included the original legs and torso, so you could see where the body "should be". But just so you know, if I turn off the legs and torso, the armor is still messed up. The purple armor is the Twood armor. Notice the belt is perfectly placed. The Twood legs / feet swing freely from side to side as he turns (not fixed to the ground). The arms are twisted and stretched. And that huge glob on his left cheek, that's one of his gloves. And you can't see it in this pic, but the back side of his chest is sticking out weird.

My first thought would be that the armor isn't attached to the bones properly (would explain his feet not sticking to the ground), or the bones are messed up. But that's not true, this is the standard "HumanMale" race, and this is a working character designer (UMAzing), and other clothes I have work fine. Also, I know this particular armor set works, because the demo scene for it works (it uses the random pool though). I assume the problem therefore is because my code isn't doing it the exact same way as the random pool. Problem is, I don't understand how to convert the Random Pool's "Requirement" and "Overlay List Source" to my code. In fact, I understand very little about the random pool other than I can see which slots and which overlays it uses.

1) Is the order of items (top to bottom) important in the random pool?
    2) where in code exactly do I put the "Requirement" and the "Overlay List Source"?

I looked EVERYWHERE online, even in tutorial videos, and a few people mention the requirement and overlay list source, but nobody explains what these two things mean, or how to duplicate the behavior in code.

I would really appreciate it so much if you have time, to make a tutorial explaining how to take a random pool settings, and duplicate the same thing using only code. That would save my life, because I bought a lot of UMA models and nearly all of them have demo scenes which nearly always use random pools and I'm really struggling to get those translated into code.

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Fixed it.. the above issue was caused by me using the LegacyMeshCombiner in my UnityGenerator. I had to use the UMADefaultMeshCombiner and the problem went away. Hope this helps someone!

twobob and hopeful like this.
  31. Hummy_Seed

Hummy_Seed

Hello Fernando, Thanks so much for UMA!

I have a question about the dionysus model. I am creating custom meshes and following the video for 3ds max. My content comes in fine for the regular UMA characters, but I have trouble with the dionysus model. My model comes in attached, but appears to have no skin weights..

Using Kirby's UMA helper pack, the slot appears to attach fine (ignore texture).

Is there something different about the process for custom content for dionysus? Or perhaps I am doing one step wrong. I appreciate any help. Thanks!

-Hummy_Seed

32. Hummy_Seed

Hummy_Seed

Nevermind, I did not see the post directly above me.

Thanks AaronBrownLM. The problem was solved when I switched to using UMADefaultMeshCombiner and not LegacyMeshCombiner. Thanks.

33. l0cke

l0cke

Did you consider to prepare more 3dscan textures (races, age...)? Current two in asset store are really great.

FernandoRibeiro likes this.
  34. neff11

neff11

fernando need a bit of help
    Human high poly slots can combinate with dyonisius?
    what i understand is that high poly are better models and dyonisius better textures, correct me.

35. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there! Sure, the example webplayer actually uses the dyonisius overlays.
    Just keep in mind the high poly slots require extra processing power, so it's better suited for situations with a small number of avatars.

36. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    Sorry, I didn't saw your post!
    I still have more 3 3dscans I've bought but didn't integrated. If I have some extra time, I might get beck into them.
    Cheers =)

37. l0cke

l0cke

That would be great!

38. neff11

neff11

not understanding :/ my idea is to have a high poly model but with the hig quality textures of dyonisius

39. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

What I explained is that you can combine them, you will have High quality mesh + texture, just keep in mind those require more powerful machines.
    Cheers

40. neff11

neff11

aaaaaah okeeey hahaha u are great fernando :D my pc is very op hhaha, thanks for all i'll try your assets

41. Non Hic

Non Hic

What does this mean? (5.x) o_O

"Assets/UMA/Tutorials/FernandoRibeiro/Save_Load files/Scripts/UMAReducedCustomization.cs(77,44): warning CS0618: `UMA.UMAData.UMARecipe.umaDna' is obsolete: `UMARecipe.umaDna will be hidden, use access methods instead.'"

I'm not sure how to "solve" it?

(I'm using UMA from here: http://uma.unity3d.com/wiki/index.php/UMA2x)

EDIT: Here are some more weird errors. Please see the picture.

Attached Files:

42. Scanlab

Scanlab

Looks cool,
    The detail on scans is nice, but overall proportions look oversized.
    We're trying to find a way to integrate our scans into Unity, but not certain about using UMA just yet.

43. Plutoman

Plutoman

Now that UMA 2 is out on the asset store, will these be updated properly? I've had quite a few issues in trying to implement these + your scans into an actual usage and gameplay.

44. l0cke

l0cke

Are there any changes in the mesh and rig in UMA 2.0?

45. hopeful

hopeful

Pretty sure it's all just coding changes, adjustment to PBR, and so on, with no mesh or rig changes.

46. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

Hey Hopeful, what do you mean by "adjustment to PBR". I haven't seen that option anywhere and my overlays look...weird.

dionysus.png

So with the Dionysus overlay, I add the two head maps to the material builder and repeat the steps to the body maps. I then add to the overlay library and change the "random set" for dionysus to include these new overlays. The above is the result. I also keep getting a message "Atlas resolution is too small, Textures will be reduced."

Edit:

Just purchased Athena and I get the exact same result

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  47. hopeful

hopeful

I'm just reflecting (or trying to) what was said in the main UMA thread.

On further thought, I'm not sure Fernando will get this done (whatever needs to be done) before his baby arrives. So it's possible there could be an unexpected delay in getting this fully compliant with UMA2.

Richardm1985 and boysenberry like this.
  48. hopeful

hopeful

@Richardm1985 - Try baking the lighting for the scene.

I don't know what's going on, but I have continuous baking off. When I turn it on and bake the scene, UMAs that used to look patchy now look smooth.

Also, when I switch from the UMA shader to the standard U5 shader, the patchiness goes away.

EDIT: And if I have the Sunshine plugin in my project, it is very unhappy with UMA.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    Richardm1985 likes this.
  49. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

Thanks Hopeful, I'll try that soon and I'll let you know how it goes for me :)

50. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    Sorry taking long to answer, my wife gave birth to our little baby this month and we are still getting used to the new routine =)
    As soon I have some time, I'll check all my assets and update them to UMA 2.0 at AssetStore. the high quality scans had already been updated, but I need to double check everything and update the example scenes as well before uploading.
    Cheers!

Richardm1985 and boysenberry like this.