Search Unity

Um... is this even legal?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by POLYGAMe, Apr 3, 2012.

1. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe

2. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

Probably. Most of the tutorials can be used royalty-free, including both code and media.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Legal, yes. Lame, also yes.

--Eric

4. bingobeawr

bingobeawr

This is sort of customer exploitation and that app store really needs a quality check for this kind of stuff.

5. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

loool.

winning!

6. drewradley

drewradley

Oh that's weak. As a side note, look for my original android game. It's about a little girl named Penelope. :)

7. SteveJ

SteveJ

There was a guy selling the old Warehouse demo for iOS too at one point. I think that's gone now though - not sure if he was forced to remove it, but it's not on the App Store anymore.

8. QFS

QFS

The sad thing is he/she made over $2000 by doing little to nothing.

9. henry96

henry96

That's lame!!! People should do anything commercial to the stuff that's not belong to them.

10. RingOfStorms

RingOfStorms

If its legal and its profitable people will jump at the opportunity, yes this is very lame but some people need a quick buck, and this was their easy cash.

I myself think this would be to lame to even display under my name, just not cool at all.

11. RyuMaster

RyuMaster

The one who did it doesn't even care, so should we. But that is good example - next time I'll think twice before releasing some big stuff under fully unrestricted license

12. blurededge

blurededge

Perhaps the cure is to fight fire with fire here? Since it's legal, release exactly the same thing for free with no ads or anything. That will bring his "business" to a sudden and (hopefully) permanent halt. This guy just managed to take the lame-o-meter and crank it up to 11.

13. stimarco

stimarco

Oh look, it's on the App Store too: http://itunes.apple.com/it/app/race-gear-feel-3d-car-racing/id422804153?mt=8

(NOTE: I live in Italy. Remove the "/it" part to see the US version of the link.)

To be fair, he did do some work on it: there's a front-end menu GUI if the screenshots are any indication.

You've got to admit, this guy has a great future in either marketing or politics.

14. henry96

henry96

If he/she did ask permission from Unity, then it's fair. But if he/she didn't, then it's not cool. I know we are allowed to use the asset. I heard from one of the video in Unite10 which said so. However, It's better to create game starting from scratch and use assets that everybody use.

15. Meltdown

Meltdown

16. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

I'll tell you what is not legal: his use of an Acura stearing wheel with logo and all. I bet he/she did not get a license from Honda to use that logo in his game.

17. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe

Hehe,good idea ;-)

18. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe

This reminds me of my GameSalad days... so many idiots were releasing crappy templates as "games"... that's the problem with tools that allow practically anyone to release an app... Apple and Google need better quality control... those many crAPPS ruined the reputation of a tool that has been used for some incredible titles (Grisly Manor, Bumps etc). At least with Unity it's a BIT harder to do...

19. TehWut

TehWut

If this was any more LAME I think I would have to LAME his walking ability with a hammer

This is the downside of Unity giving free nice things >_<

20. DayyanSisson

DayyanSisson

Wow....this is sad....I kinda want to show this guy this thread....or even better, find his contact info and spam the hell out of him :p

21. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

I don't see a reason to be offended or be aggressive against the author. It doesn't hurt or affect you and anyone can make the same. Of course its somewhat lame, however this is something the author ( or better distributer ;-) ) has to live with and not your problem.
    Also there is still some work involved.

22. adaman

adaman

It's ok guys. It's a fan game.

23. DayyanSisson

DayyanSisson

Agreed, but it's still not right :-/

24. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Actually it can hurt. It may influence Unity to stamp an overly restrictive license in upcoming sample codes in the future.

25. Trinda

Trinda

I've gone through the files, can't see any license that would say one way or the other if this is legal or not.

Only way to counter this kind of douchbaggery is to release a competing product with the same code, for cheaper

26. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Unity Tech is quite aware of people doing this, which is why they release their demo projects as apps themselves (for free). For example, Angry Bots.

--Eric

27. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

http://unity3d.com/unity/faq.html

"Yes, all assets in our tutorial and example projects may be used in both commercial and non-commercial use in Unity-based projects. The assets themselves may not be resold, however."

28. Trinda

Trinda

Ahh, was looking in the downloaded files themselves, not the online faq.
    That would explain a few things

29. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I fear soon games will be so easy to make, that it'll be impossible to make a living!

30. Meltdown

Meltdown

Aaah I wait for that day. Then we can all put a link to an MMO in our signature :D

31. softwizz

softwizz

I don't, I feel the way computers are evolving the general user will be buying things like netbooks, smartphones and tablets that won't have the ability to create games (can you imagine trying to use Blender on a tablet or netbook) and people like us will be using desktops and traditional laptops as development machines.

32. Trinda

Trinda

Doubt it.

It always seems to go in cycles. Games become better, more people make games to try cash in, the better games sell more, the worse games sell less, the failed developers give up on the cash cow, repeat.

33. drewradley

drewradley

Everyone with a computer can write a novel.
    Everyone with a can of paint can paint a picture.
    Everyone with a baseball can pitch a game.
    That doesn't mean they're good at it or can make money from it. In order to make money at anything, you have to be good at it and when you are better at it than most people, you can make money off it.

That and a good amount of luck anyway.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  34. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Once upon a time ...

Only nobility could read/write.
    Only the elite could publish a book.
    Entire families plowed fields with a horse.
    Men were paid to pump gas into your cars.
    Secretaries were hired to type dictation.
    Kids from high school could make 6-figures setting up a web server.
    Only big-budget films included digital animation.
    It cost millions to build a quality game.

Gigi.