Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Water System - The most depreciated realtime water simulation [Depreciated Support thread]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Moonlit-Games-Studio, Sep 7, 2017.

1. MINJU-KANG

MINJU-KANG

I am developing a VR(vive) rollercoaster game
    in the Underwater scenes..(UWS 2.0 b3)
    I want to be seen farther..
    I also want to reduce noise Desktop 2017.12.15 - 21.53.09.01.mp4_20180112_164733.496.jpg .

Is there a solution? plz..

2. blitzvb

blitzvb

For calm water : in term of performance how it compare to aquas ?

Thanks in advance

3. ibbybn

ibbybn

In Shaders/IMEs/Underwater - Base IME.cginc
    Line 81
    change it to something like: depth = LinearEyeDepth(depth*2.5);
    The multiplier let's you see that much further.

4. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_

Can you elaborate on this a bit with an example? I had to step away from my project for a while, but I was looking for a straightforward way to calculate water heights the most efficient way possible. Since I'm transitioning from another system, I'm only after the heights at the moment, and not interested in any of the built-in tracking that UWS has for its buoyancy or physics. With the old system, I was doing all of this myself with just height queries, and picking up here would be easiest for transition. I've got quite a few queries to make every frame since objects not yet near the water are still querying to see if they are.

5. antey3064

antey3064

When will support ScriptableRenderPipeline - HDRenderPipeline?

6. MCPGNZ

MCPGNZ

Hi!

The UWS 2.1.0 is up (as you've probably seen), there is one bug that I've found after the release and I'll create and post a hotfix (so if the dynamic areas are becoming invisible after scene switch - don't panic :))
    Also there were some minor fixes in PlayWay Water, and I'll try to integrate them. between versions.

@Corby-Interactive
    Hi, I'm aware that there are still some problems with VR; this and OpenGL related problems are a priority for me right now.

@Stickeyd
    I'll look into it and get back to you with results. You can add it to the github issues so we can discuss it further there.

@MINJU-KANG
    You can change the underwater visibility by toggling the Custom Underwater Transmission in the Water Profile, and then adjusting the color. The easiest way to reduce the noise is to add dithering (i.e. from Unity Post Processing Stack, available on Asset Store)

@snacktime
    As the threading code is straight for PlayWay, you can probably ask @zuzzu about it.

@antey3064
    I'd love to port the existing code to the ScriptableRenderPipeline, but at this point I cannot guarantee it as it's a big change (and the decisions about how we proceed with UWS development are not mine - i'm just responsible for the coding side)

7. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @MCPGNZ

I understand what you're saying. And obviously it seems a lot of video memory. But in the medium term, maybe not so much.
    Currently in UWS there is no wave solution breaking on the shore.

Maybe I do not do something like in the videos I post (although I think that a similar quality should be the goal to be achieved), but why not something that is of less quality ... Currently there is nothing, so I guess as a beginning You could prepare something decent in performance and simulate the waves breaking on the shore.

I leave several videos for examples, even some of Unity:
    https://youtu.be/_sFCPfc7mDU

https://youtu.be/HBgbIJpuY0I

I hope it helps ...
    regards

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  8. arisvang

arisvang

The water does not render when I try to build my project. I've set the color space to linear, and deleted the d3d9 from the graphics API (unchecked automatic API and removed d3d9 leaving only d3d11 on the list).

Any other settings I have to configure?
    Thanks in advance.

9. arisvang

arisvang

Also, mind explaining how to blend between profiles in runtime. I've tried animating the sliders, but the water doesn't update with the change.
    I also tried to access the _weights through scripts, but the variables are private. How am I supposed to change them through code then?
    Again, thanks.

10. Corby-Interactive

Corby-Interactive

@MCPGNZ Thanks for the reply! Please be as quick as you can. My app is ready to be published but I can't make a build. I reallly need that fix or I will get no money.

11. MINJU-KANG

MINJU-KANG

in the underwater scene..
    my ui button.. does not look right.
    i try..increase..canvas's "Order in layer" and attach "render priority" component
    but It does not work
    Is there a solution?

[Water Off]
    water_off1.jpg
    [Water On]
    water_on1.jpg

12. Migueljb

Migueljb

Is there any demo scene downloads to test out if its working in 2017 single pass VR in either oculus or vive headsets?

13. MCPGNZ

MCPGNZ

Hi,

@ftejada
    The waves you posted are definetly doable and not so hard to implement right now, so when the time comes for new features, this probably will be one of the first.

@arisvang
    Hi, can you create an issue on github and post as many details as possible (minimum being hardware spec, unity and UWS versions, ideally sample scene that reproduces the problem).

@Corby-Interactive
    Got it. It's important for me too.

@MINJU-KANG
    This is due to how the depth-color calculations are performed, transparent objects to not store the depth information in the depth texture, and when the color is computed, the "algorithm thinks" that the current pixel is far away. The best solution to this problem would be to create UI-camera that renders only UI after the main scene.

@Migueljb
    Unfortunately no, there are still some problems with VR, I'm working on the solution currently.

Corby-Interactive and ftejada like this.
  14. ftejada

ftejada

Very happy to hear this. I hope it is not a long time

regards

15. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Is there a way to mask the water so that it smooths out in certain shapes? I recall doing it with Ceto a long time back where I could export the water depth or similar and cause the water to smooth out near my shore so that I could layer particles over the smooth areas to create breaking wave type looks. Essentially it would be like applying a profile to a certain area but doing it using a mask for the strength of the profile application.

ftejada likes this.
  16. JonasPersson

JonasPersson

Hi!
    ( im running Ultimate water 2.0.0b3 in unity 2017.1.1)

I cant get spray to work, in any of the profiles. Is there anywhere you need to turn it on exept from the water quality settings?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  17. creat327

creat327

I would love to see some kind of shorelines like Unreal assets. So waves come into the shore and not just some plastic looking water with depth.

18. arisvang

arisvang

Hi, thanks for the reply. Actually I've got it to work (even in gamma color space), but only if I use the objects included in the sample scenes. So I can prefab the "Scene" objects which have the water and camera as children, and use that in my own scenes. If I don't do it this way, it won't build.
    It's weird, as all the components on the camera and water are the same (same depth, rendering path, culling layers, etc.).
    Thanks though!

19. Flurgle

Flurgle

Edit: For Deepsky, you need to set the render mode of "Water Camera" script (on the camera of course), to "Image Effects Deferred"

Hi, I read that this works with post proc fog effects like Deepsky, but I can't seem to get it playing together. Is there a specific setting to get it to work?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  20. MINJU-KANG

MINJU-KANG

@MINJU-KANG
    This is due to how the depth-color calculations are performed, transparent objects to not store the depth information in the depth texture, and when the color is computed, the "algorithm thinks" that the current pixel is far away. The best solution to this problem would be to create UI-camera that renders only UI after the main scene.

Is it possible in VR(htc vive) environment?

21. bentunnadine

bentunnadine

@VictoryWorks You mentioned that you wanted to get the tile size for the water, did you manage to find a way to get this?

It would be very handy for me too as I have some very large scenes and will need to shift the water to avoid rendering artefacts at extreme distances.

22. Stickeyd

Stickeyd

@MCPGNZ

Is it possible to combine UWS with Mega Fiers to make mesh deformation possible? This effect

It seems because mesh is a part of the shader it's impossible to work with mesh like with an individual object and I'm afraid it means that it will not be working. And it seems that physics are also working on scripts, not on mesh, so mesh is only for graphics. Is it possible to somehow fix it? I've seen Mega-Fiers combined with different water asset and as I know it's working there because there is a mesh object which it is possible to modify.

Lucid-Amusement, Flurgle and ftejada like this.
  23. 21312313123321

I the "Water Camera" script that is attached to a camera, you can click a button to enable rendering in the editor.

24. arisvang

arisvang

Hey again. Any news on this hotfix? Currently the dynamic water does not work after a scene change in my builds. I've tried downloading the b3 hotfix, but that did not work. My version of UWS is 2.1.0.
    Thanks again!

25. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

I get this annoying error when I try to build my game for windows with UWS 2.1.0 and U3D 2017.3p3.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  26. skaughtx0r

skaughtx0r

Yeah, I tried updating to 2017.3 and got the same error, ended up just reverting to 2017.2 for now. I'm hoping shader errors get fixed for 2017.3/2018.1 (I haven't tried the beta yet, but someone else said there were shader errors in that also). There's features I'd like to use in 2018 like the IL2CPP compiler.

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  27. daibutsu

daibutsu

Preformance problem.

Wheni run water WaterCamera.OnPreCull() is 35,7% of the performance. I use Unity profile. What i can do to fix it?

thanks

28. Fraconte

Fraconte

Apparently I solved the building error problem just editing the shader set in the Water script and clicking the "Apply changes" button.

29. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

What have you changed in the script? At the UWS github site I found only a solution for version below UWS 2.1.0. Only rebuilding the UWS shader set didn't help for me.

30. Fraconte

Fraconte

I did some more tests trying to recreate the problem, but it seems to be somewhat random. Last time, just switching camera rendering from deferred to forward and building, recreated the problem. Subsequent build, changing nothing, just succeded.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  31. skaughtx0r

skaughtx0r

Yeah, it seems like, the first time you build it will fail, then the 2nd time the build succeeds.

32. chainsawpenguin

chainsawpenguin

I'm looking to make the water MOSTLY clear with a tint of greenish blue, very much as seen in the very first video in this thread. However, this is not one of the preset water profiles, and I'm having a devil of a time.

Does anyone have any convenient prefabs for this kind of water, or suggestions for settings to make this?

Basically, I want the water to be clear enough to swim through for the first 20 meters or so, if that helps at all...

Jim

33. daibutsu

daibutsu

Did you try to change water color? I didn't like water too so i changed the base color and it worked for me. Now it looks like the Carribean one

34. Fraconte

Fraconte

I added this to the ShipBowWavesEmitter.cs script to correct artifacts at the transition from disabled to enabled (I.E. when used with the PlayWayWaterShip.cs script).

Code (CSharp):
    2.        // This is needed after disabling the script for too many frames
    3.         private void OnEnable ()
    4.         {
    5.             if (_WaterComponent)
    6.             {
    7.                 Vector2 bowPosition = GetVector2 (transform.position);
    8.                 Vector2 bowPositionWithOffset = bowPosition + _WaterComponent.SurfaceOffset;
    9.                 _PreviousFrameBowPosition = bowPositionWithOffset;
    10.             }
    11.         }

35. vahag_im

vahag_im

Hi,

I'm trying to create custom area colored water with water projection feature. The area part is being covered with custom meshes. But ocean color differs from the one that I'm setting for the material. Seems ocean base color is not being fully overridden (see attachment). As a texture I've selected semitransparent or opaque png (only alpha channel).

Please assist.
    Thanks in advance,

Regards.

Attached Files:

36. chainsawpenguin

chainsawpenguin

Hmm... I'm not sure what you mean by the "base" color. Is that the diffuse, or the transmission, or something else? And what did you change it to?

Is there an example profile somewhere? It's weird that the examples in the video are not included as a preset, especially given how many variables affect the look of the water.

Does the publisher still monitor this thread?

Jim

37. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

I get the same errors.

Everything plays fine in the Editor despite the errors, but it won't build.

If you remove the shaders in question, it will build but you won't get any water.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  38. creat327

creat327

i'm trying to create 2 lakes, anyone got it to work? so far my experience has been horrible with this asset and the high price is definitely not representative of the documentation/usage

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  39. Flurgle

Flurgle

The "Toggle SceneView rendering" button?
    upload_2018-1-30_17-30-4.png

Seems to not be working for me

40. MCPGNZ

MCPGNZ

Hi!

Sorry for the delay.
    The hotfix is already up: http://mgardela.udl.pl/uws/
    (I've updated readme to reflect that)

@creat327
    I've responded to your problems at github

@Flurgle
    Can you create a thread in github issues, this is strange as it appears that it does not work only for you. (Note that you must be in playmode to view the water, that includes scene editor too)

@Fraconte
    Thanks for the input, I'll look into that and integrate it/improve the current code.

@roberteker , @Bartolomeus755
    This errors appear only in p3 version or did you experience them in previous ones also?

@chainsawpenguin
    Yes, i do monitor the thread, the UWS is not my only responsibility so sometimes it takes a while until i manage to respond, sorry for that. The basic overview of the water parameters is included in documentation. Including tens of presets is really not what we want to do. The parameters are there to tune the water to your needs, and it only takes an hour or so to play with the water profile settings and get an understanding how it influences water looks.

Flurgle likes this.
  41. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

I must admit that we jumped from 5.6.x to 2017.3 so I can't answer if it worked in an earlier 2017 version or not.

42. daibutsu

daibutsu

Hey Jim,

i'm not sure that they're monitor thread, maybe they're busy on developing new version. Who knows.

anyway Go to this folder https://gyazo.com/c896f778a36e78b9c537f15fdd1cde68
    and choose water profile that you want use (or duplicate it). then i have changed diffuse color in the profile https://gyazo.com/fee167a8964e80424f56fe4d47dbc495 to the water color that i want and here what i get https://gyazo.com/5e26292bafa9bb841f9e8f62fe621aec

Hope it helps. anywa let me know exact task maybe i'll be able to help you.

Thanks

43. chainsawpenguin

chainsawpenguin

No worries! Thanks for the feedback!

Cool! Thanks very much! I'll play around with these tonight and let you know how I get on.

44. creat327

creat327

Well, the documentation has a few missing parts.

For instance:
    - Spray option. What's that? what does it do? It's nowhere to be found on the doc.
    - How do I change the shaders so that it doesn't render the water on top of all my tree billboards and transparent objects? I think it's a pretty common problem. I don't see it on the doc either.
    - SIMD optimization. It says to copy a dll on it. On the doc there is nothing explaining what that thing is.

Also, using Unity 2017.2.1p3 here, forward rendering. Demo scenes:
    -The Sea profile 5 or 6 is messed up. It displays a hyper bright blue. At least on a container shader set, i didn't try the others.
    - Raindrops scene: nothing. I see no raindrops. Do i have to do anything?
    - Profile Blend. What does it do? I hit play, nothing happens. I found out I have to change it on Water settings to see it but there is nothing on the doc that explains it.
    - Water Particles. Same thing. I just see a pretty fake wake. What am I supposed to see? I was expecting "particles" like a splashes on top of the wakes or the front of the boat like it was moving. I wasn't expecting a "plastic" V moving away from the boat.

Also a reply to @Stickeyd and @CaptainMurphy would be nice, because the existing shore waves system is horrible. It's the most important aspect to fix right now. To have some kind of at least semi-realistic shore waves.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  45. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Unfortunately, no. I have this issue with 2017.3 and also with the four patch versions. In previous versions is all fine.

46. creat327

creat327

Anyone figured out how to change the render queue of the shader so that it doesn't render on top of my terrain billboard trees?

47. chainsawpenguin

chainsawpenguin

If trees are rendering behind the water, change the "Billboard Start" property in the Terrain editor to be something higher than the default of 50.

48. creat327

creat327

The billboard start is just the distance where it begins switching from 3d objects to billboards. I have it to 250 already. That doesn't solve the problem. It slows your game tremendously because now it will render millions of additional triangles and on top of that it still looks like crap if the lake overlaps your billboards. That's not a solution. The only solution is to be able to change the renderqueue order somehow but i can't figure out where in the code it happens because changing the order on the shader has no impact.

49. C_p_H

C_p_H

"By default, all water colliders are placed on Layer 1 (TransparentFX). You can change this in Edit/Project Settings/Water."

Hope this was helpful.

50. creat327

creat327

uh? that has nothing to do with rendering order :?