Search Unity

Ultimate Water System - The most depreciated realtime water simulation [Depreciated Support thread]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Moonlit-Games-Studio, Sep 7, 2017.

1. MarcopoloR

MarcopoloR

One good thing about computer graphics is it is always getting better, and probably will for the foreseeable future. I do know that Unity is capable of producing these volumetric effects for water because I have seen it done. The game Subnautica is made in Unity and their water has a lot of these effects. It can also change color and lighting when you swim/dive to different areas. Unfortunately it seems they made these effects in house and this water is not available for public purchase anywhere.

2. MCPGNZ

MCPGNZ

Some more answers for you:

@skaughtx0r those displacements are purely visual, but i think it shouldn't be to complicated to add them to the queries (from the top of my head: cache height info of the height map textures cpu-side, given the point for the query, check what height maps are influencing it, and sample the generated height info). It's not implemented at this point, cause the effects created by them are usually small (detail-stuff), so their physical influence is omissible.

@MarcopoloR Hi! You can see the surface from underwater (screenshot below), unfortunately no builtin support for god rays / light shafts as for now.
    But you can dynamically change all the water parameters through profile blending (shown in one of the previous videos). Additionally, almost all parameters can be modified at run-time (if you can't create profiles statically to blend between them) so you can change how the water looks based on any external source (i.e. player mood controls water saturation, etc.)

dasda.png

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  3. MarcopoloR

MarcopoloR

Hi,
    Thank you for your response. I will probably get this because I already have playway water and I will soon need one that does single pass VR rendering. I have a question about underwater light shafts. No water asset on unity has ever had this feature. Is it that it is really technically difficult or impossible to do this in Unity or is it that water asset developers never considered this an important feature to have? IMHO it is the final step to get realistic underwater effects.

4. starfoxy

starfoxy

Why cant I purchase this? The link to the asset store says the product has been removed.

5. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

MCPGNZ likes this.
  6. recon0303

recon0303

a new developer from the asset store can't do an upgrade...So he has to do it under the old Play Water..... that is how the store works..

MCPGNZ likes this.
  7. Galahad

Galahad

Our company, Technomar, acquired Playway Water System a few months ago and we've been using it in our nautical simulation engine. It seems that your branch of it, Ultimate Water System will be more advanced and will receive updates regurlary (one of the problems we faced with Playway).

However as we aim to deliver the most realistic experience to our users, it is important for us to clarify it the following feateres are included in your system before upgrading to it:

• Swell waves
    • Shoreline
    • Kelvin wake
    • Spray at the bow and along the hull
    • Rotor wash effect
    • Water decals

Aside those, being able to edit the source to add functions like, pausing the ocean for example, would be a big plus for us.

Regards

8. derkoi

derkoi

Looks good.

MCPGNZ likes this.
  9. starfoxy

starfoxy

Yes. I don't own the previous iteration of this but I would like to purchase a new version for full price. I think this looks pretty awesome. Will it be back up on the store?

10. recon0303

recon0303

It will be an upgrade, off of, Play Water.

Moonlit-Games-Studio likes this.
  11. sadicus

sadicus

"Ultimate" implies pro quality. The Decals and Dynamic Displacement look interesting.
    1. Will the underwater use real world units and change color with depth?
    2. Will the caustics be updated to something that looks more realistic?

ftejada likes this.
  12. skaughtx0r

skaughtx0r

Thanks, the physical influence would likely make quite a large impact in my boat racing game. I would love it if there was an option to enable height queries on the water displacements.

One last question, does UWS support D3D12 and Vulkan renders? Currently, building PlayWay Water errors if you try to add support for these.

13. Danirey

Danirey

Hi, is it included a boat movement example? And how is it driven? Physics movement?

Thanks!

14. Drowning-Monkeys

Drowning-Monkeys

Man they sure are taking their time over there on the Asset Store huh?

15. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Our last model took 16 days to get approved... :rolleyes:

16. Moonlit-Games-Studio

Moonlit-Games-Studio

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately, Unity didn't want to help us with moving package from Ultimate Games accout to PlayWay account - we had to deprecate current package and submit it again on PW account.
    This action is required to enable upgrades from PWS to UWS.

Current package status is still in review, we hope that I'll be ready for sale at the beginning of the next week.
    All users that bought UWS will receive free voucher when package is ready on PlayWay account.

Sorry for your inconvenience.
    Stay tuned :)

ftejada, Fera_KM and iddqd like this.
  17. MCPGNZ

MCPGNZ

The effect alone shouldn't be that difficult to implement (unless I'm forgetting something) but the amount of possible features is huge for a water system (even looking at requests in this thread :)) and all the features interact with each other, sometime in strange ways, so there is a fair amount of work to ensure that everything works correctly (add to that optimisations, api design etc). And as i mentioned earlier, when we will be ready to start working on new features,
    we will prioritize the features based on user demand.

Hi!
    Starting from the end. Water decals are implemented, and they allow to add diffuse overlays on the water as well as custom displacement maps (animated ones as well), those could be used to create Rotor wash effect, but the effect itself is not embedded in UWS; Kelvin wake can be dynamically simulated or "faked" using custom displacement maps along with particle generator. Swell waves, unfortunately, are not implemented right now. Spray at the bow and hull can easily be achieved using particle systems with the water decals mentioned earlier, but there is no automatic solution as for now. As for the source, it's included, and I'll try to explain the principles behind it, when you decide to modify some parts of it. (be sure to check out the videos posted in this thread and out YT channel)

1. Underwater changes color with depth based on created gradient. As for the real world units, can you elaborate on the question, cause I'm not sure if i understand it correctly?
    2. Answered above.

There is a simple demo showing the barrels using Water Physics component to stay afloat.
    The setup is extremely simple and described in documentation. It's based on adding forces to rigidbody objects considering the object mass, water density, and the object shape defined by a collider.

Thank you all for the responses, suggestions and questions.
    Much appreciated!

Galahad likes this.
  18. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

Have you guys tried testing it with the Realistic Water Physics Asset?
    I was using that in conjunction with Ceto, and I thought those guys did a pretty good job with buoyancy.

19. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

20. Exeneva

Exeneva

I'm confused. Does this mean if I purchase PlayWay I am basically purchasing UWS?

Or is UWS still going to be released as a separate asset?

21. elbows

elbows

As far as I'm aware it is still a separate asset. But they had to switch their account to the PlayWay account to be able to give existing PlayWay customers an option to upgrade to UWS (for $50 as far as I remember).

Moonlit-Games-Studio and derkoi like this.
  22. Moonlit-Games-Studio

Moonlit-Games-Studio

It will be a new package available for purchase on Asset Store. PlayWay Water System will not be needed in order to use it.
    Users who previously bought PlayWay Water will be able to upgrade it to UWS for an additional price.

23. Reiner

Reiner

when is UWS back in the store?

24. Drowning-Monkeys

Drowning-Monkeys

no one knows that except Unity. It's like asking when a game will be finished. "When it's done". ;-)

25. MarcopoloR

MarcopoloR

Hi thanks for your detailed reply. I totally get that water is a really complex thing to make, probably why so many water packages end up depreciated on the asset store. As a feature, I do think it should be more important than any other requests if you are going for realistic water, because realistic water has lightshafts. Without lightshafts, it just isn't realistic, no matter how many other requests there are.

26. Ravane

Ravane

Regarding Physics:
    Does UWS offer PlayWays "Improved Drag and Flow Forces" by use of a rigidbody mesh collider? Your manual does not explicitly mention this.

If yes, is it essentially the same algorithm because I am very pleased by my ships and submarines physical behavior in PlayWay over the use of just primitive colliders.

27. mrPRAZ

mrPRAZ

Waiting as patiently as possible for this. Excited to see the release~

28. MCPGNZ

MCPGNZ

Yes and yes, the physics behaviour (including Improved Drag and Flow Forces) is the same as in PW.

29. mrPRAZ

mrPRAZ

Any updates on availability this week?

30. sadicus

sadicus

While waiting to Upgrade decided to read the manual. Thank you for color coding the PDF manual, looks good, easy to read!

31. MCPGNZ

MCPGNZ

As mentioned above, the package is under the Unity review process.
    As soon as it goes through, we'll post an update here.

Thanks! About the manual, I'll try to update it "as we go", based on questions that emerge.
    If you stumble upon a topic that is not well described, PM me about it and I'll expand it.

ftejada likes this.
  32. meje

meje

Any word on how the approval process is going?

33. Funkeys

Funkeys

Hi,
    i was using PW WS until i recognized that the height function (either the WaterSample or water.GetWaterHeight function) are not delivering accurate values. And the error gets bigger, when increasing wind speed.
    The issue was brought to the dev´s attention, but after giving him prove (demo scene with a grid spheres 1 unit apart) he went mute.
    Has this issue been recognized and will it be fixed in UWS?

ftejada likes this.
  34. fatality674

fatality674

Hi MCPGNZ/Moonlit Games,

I’m working as part of a team on a maritime simulation project and we have been scanning the unity water asset scene for years.

We started off with Triton (which was like £400 may I add) as it had everything we needed, but with that asset going down the S***ter and no future development being done on it, we have been in a bit of a rut. We are currently stuck on Unity 5.4 because of it.

We had looked at Scrawks ocean which then turned into Ceto, but it didn’t have the features we needed at the time as it was a WIP. Ceto had those features promised though which is why we bought the asset and worked on some integration. Then that asset turned out to be a cash grab from the developer and we were left out of pocket. We stuck with Triton.

Playway looked good and seemed to have a good team behind it, but as far as things like ship wakes, currents etc it was lacking the features we needed so we never took the plunge.

With UWS, is there a timeframe for a demo? The main areas we need to know about are ship wakes (seen the video but need to play around with them), If there is any consideration for things like breakwaters, If currents are considered and how large-scale simulation is handled.

Triton will only simulate correctly if you are within 1000 units of the camera. We have tried to circumvent this as we planned to run triton on a server and then clients would take transform input from that. How does UWS deal with modeling the physics? Is it tied to an area around the camera and if so is there a way to say add multiple cameras to have multiple areas of simulation inside of a scene?

If you can shed a light on any of these points that would be great. Very excited about the asset and I bid you godspeed!

Adam

35. derkoi

derkoi

It's a bit worrying that the developers are not replying to posts more than they are.....

36. MCPGNZ

MCPGNZ

@meje
    About the release - package is under Unity's review, when they process it, it will be listed on asset store (and of course we'll inform you about that). Unfortunately, we cannot really gave you any "updates" on how's the approval process going, because we ourselves do not get any updates.

Hi! The physics part of the UWS is pretty much identical with the older version so the problem probably still exists.
    It would be great if you could PM me the demo scene, so i can check what's wrong and how hard it will be to solve.

@derkoi
    I try to respond within a reasonable time-frame, i like to "batch" a few questions and respond to them all at once (given that they are not bug-fix request etc. (note that the last unanswered posts are from Friday.)) If someone has any questions that are especially important, you can always PM me, i will try to answer them as soon as possible.

@fatality674
    As for now, demo was not a part of our plan. Currents and breakwaters are not the part of the UWS. The currents (the graphical and physical representation of them) would be very difficult to add at this point but the breakwaters should be relatively simple to add. As for the physics, it's not bound to the area of the camera. If you could PM me with the details of your requirements i can create simple demos for you to check the physics behaviour.

37. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to the release!

Moonlit-Games-Studio and MCPGNZ like this.
  38. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Hopefully now that the Unite Austin conference is over the folks at Unity will get cracking and complete the review.

39. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

It can take a long time to get through asset store review process especially before conferences (e.g. Unite 2017) because developers want to have the latest updates in the unity asset store for a particular event. It can take several weeks sometimes to get approved ( I have seen 30 days mentioned by a few other publishers). You can always send a e-mail to support to find the status.

Based on this thread publishers can always to make sure their file is not a zero length file as mentioned in this post.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/aut...ck-in-pending-for-3-days.492474/#post-3228672

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  40. syscrusher

syscrusher

A bunch of assets I've purchased just got updated today, so I believe the Asset Store folks are working their way through a backlog.

trilobyteme and elbows like this.
  41. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

trilobyteme and ftejada like this.
  42. pat_trick

pat_trick

It's great to see the new folks picking up this asset and moving forward with it!

@MCPGNZ I think one thing that folks are looking for is that in PlayWay Water, there were specific assets provided in form of a boat which showed an example of how you could set up buoyancy in your own project. I did read through the documentation provided, and I think UWS will provide this functionality, but a demo scene is likely what folks are looking for at this point. I can appreciate, though, that UWS is meant to be a more generalized water asset and may not specifically offer the same features as PlayWay out of the box.

I also want to counterpoint @snacktime and state that I would very much prefer more realism. In my own work, I'm trying to make a realistic simulation, and this fulfills that nicely.

Teila likes this.
  43. syscrusher

syscrusher

Seconded. I'm working in archviz/simulation, and photorealistic is preferred for my apps. There are plenty of post FX that can stylize realistic assets, but it's difficult or impossible to go the other way. :)

I have to say, though, that one of the things I love about Unity and the Unity developer community is that there are so many different creative approaches in use, all with their own appeal.

hopeful likes this.
  44. gibmation

gibmation

When will it be available to upgrade from Playway to this?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    electric_jesus, Reiner and ftejada like this.
  45. ftejada

ftejada

+1

46. Teila

Teila

Hopefully soon. I do not have PW, but waiting to see what you guys think about this before I buy. :) I have a distrust of water assets these days and need to be convinced.

PeterB, ForgedChaos, Funkeys and 2 others like this.
  47. Aquaminator

Aquaminator

need upgrade too ...

48. stevenwanhk

stevenwanhk

Does this have better performance than PlaywayWater or they are just similar? Thank you.

49. Danirey

Danirey

Hi all,
    It is again available at the old asset store link, but no upgrade option... any news about that. We’re dying for it ;)

50. Moonlit-Games-Studio

Moonlit-Games-Studio

We're terribly sorry - as stated before we were instructed by Unity to re-submit the package to other account to make it available for upgrade.

Unity stuff must have mistakenly activated again the package on the old account and made it available for download. We have already addressed the issue and are waiting for the review on the account where PlayWay Water System is.

Stay tuned! ;)