Search Unity

Ultimate Water System - The most depreciated realtime water simulation [Depreciated Support thread]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Moonlit-Games-Studio, Sep 7, 2017.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Looks like it's time for me to pop up on this thread as I've done with so many other threads before:

1. Assets bought from asset store should be purchased with the concept that there will never be support and that it will be depreciated. Unity probably doesn't agree with this, but my opinions are my own.

2. It doesn't work to rant and rave on the forum. Please allow your asset store review stars to reflect your opinion of the asset and support you are given. This would signal to the developer if they're interested, to address this (too late now but...)

Getting angry is pointless, you all know asset store is going to be a really mixed bag :)

I also changed the title of this thread and took the time to make a note on the first page.
    Use the thread to support each other.

I can't say I didn't see this coming. Note there are a handful of assets I think truly shine on the asset store but if it's something complex that does lots of things - it'll probably get depreciated. Because big things don't survive unity updates well enough for tiny teams or lone devs to support. Logical.

2. skaughtx0r

skaughtx0r

I just grabbed 2.1.0 with the last hotfix. I was going to see if I could pull in all the changes I made to 2.0.0 + hotfix b3. Unfortunately the diff was pretty substantial, I probably won't have time to do it right now.

The framerate in my game dropped from 115fps to 75fps when updating to 2.1.0, so I guess I have some performance improvements that didn't make it into the released version.

I fixed several shader bugs with OpenGL with inverted depth buffer and refraction weirdness. Not sure if I'm allowed to distribute any of this. Can I just upload it to github, since the devs threw in the towel?

ftejada likes this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Note: had to move a lot of replies. You can only reply here to support each other with bug fixes and chat about UWS.
    You cannot chat about asset store, or depreciation. I will delete those.

4. Pvt_Hudson

Pvt_Hudson

where can we download the main package ?

I am logged in and deprecation page says:
    If you've already purchased it and need to download a copy, you can do so here
    which goes nowhere.

can get the hotfix no problems, using invoice number.

thanks

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

You can download deprecated assets from within Unity, then import them directly from the same page with the assets catalog.

6. seanybaby2

seanybaby2

Mind sharing those OpenGL fixes with me? The error I'm currently having is the Blur.cs line 44 bug that was previously hot fixed. It's really odd that this issue came back without changing the base code. I've been making stable builds for months but now this is back. I actually deleted the entire UWS project import, re-imported, and re-applied the hotfix and this error was still coming up. Just to be clear I can make a build and play in editor without a problem. But when playing in the build the water is invisible and that error code keeps re-appearing. It's as if the Unity CG code changed without me changing my version of Unity.

7. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_

I know it won't do any good, and I'm not saying you're wrong. Unity should really consider this a little more, however. It is impossible to baseline on the current Unity version that works well when an asset like this is released or still actively supported. You've got to make it all the way through development and then support of your project. There are those of us that still believe we owe our paying customers at least a little bit of life as Windows and drivers continue to change over time. It may become necessary to update the Unity engine you're building your project on, and if you have a project that centers around the ocean like mine and an asset like this - you're sunk.

This has caused me to completely stall out on my project. I was very serious about creating it and promoting the Unity engine as well. Not to mention I would be purchasing the upgraded Unity versions as well. Now none of that seems achievable with the fourth ocean asset I've invested in going belly up. I'm so disgusted.

I realize an asset developer can do as they like, but perhaps Unity should be looking at why developers walk away from assets like this. Especially ones that seem to fill a major gap in capability.

8. Epimolophant

Epimolophant

My (desperate) solution was to comment line 44 and then proceed to comment whatever other lines caused errors, until it built. So far I don't recall any feature missing.

9. skaughtx0r

skaughtx0r

Sure, I'm not sure what the Blur.cs line 44 bug is that you're talking about.

Changes I made to get the water working in opengl on mac/linux

Depth.shader - This pretty much turns off tesselation, for me it was just showing up as weird white triangles.
    Code (CSharp):
    2. line 27 #pragma only_renderers d3d11
    Depth Copy.shader
    These flip the depth buffer for vulkan/metal

Also use min instead of max for opengl. This fixed an issue with shadows not rendering correctly.
    Code (CSharp):
    2. ... ... @@ -33,15 +33,22 @@ Shader "UltimateWater/Depth/Depth Copy" {
    3. float fragDepthBuffer(v2f i) : SV_Depth
    4. {
    5.     #if SHADER_API_VULKAN || SHADER_API_METAL
    6.     i.texcoord.y = 1-i.texcoord.y;
    7.     #endif
    8.     return tex2D(_CameraDepthTexture, UnityStereoTransformScreenSpaceTex(i.texcoord));
    9. }
    11. float fragMixDepthBuffer(v2f i) : SV_Depth
    12. {
    13.     #if SHADER_API_VULKAN || SHADER_API_METAL
    14.     i.texcoord.y = 1-i.texcoord.y;
    15.     #endif
    16.     float d1 = tex2D(_CameraDepthTexture, UnityStereoTransformScreenSpaceTex(i.texcoord));
    17.     float d2 = tex2D(_WaterDepthTexture, UnityStereoTransformScreenSpaceTex(i.texcoord));
    18.     // Forcing min fixes rendering issues in OpenGL on Linux
    19.     #if UNITY_VERSION < 550 || SHADER_API_GLCORE
    20.     return min(d1, d2);
    21.     #else
    22.     return max(d1, d2);
    24. ... ... @@ -62,15 +69,21 @@ Shader "UltimateWater/Depth/Depth Copy" {
    25. float4 fragFloat(v2f i) : SV_Target
    26. {
    27.     #if SHADER_API_VULKAN || SHADER_API_METAL
    28.     i.texcoord.y = 1-i.texcoord.y;
    29.     #endif
    30.     return tex2D(_CameraDepthTexture, i.texcoord);
    31. }
    32. float4 fragMixFloat(v2f i) : SV_Target
    33. {
    34.     #if SHADER_API_VULKAN || SHADER_API_METAL
    35.     i.texcoord.y = 1-i.texcoord.y;
    36.     #endif
    37.     float d1 = tex2D(_CameraDepthTexture, i.texcoord);
    38.     float d2 = tex2D(_WaterDepthTexture, i.texcoord);
    39.     #if UNITY_VERSION < 550 || SHADER_API_GLCORE
    40.     return min(d1, d2);
    41.     #else
    42.     return max(d1, d2);
    WaterLib.cginc
    Make globalWaterData static to make 2018.x errors go away.

Multiplied LinearEyeDepthHalf(screenPos.z / screenPos.w) by 2. This is to fix weirdness with refraction. Not sure why this works, it was the result of lots of guessing and checking.

Renamed SHADER_API_OPENGL to SHADER_API_GLCORE
    Code (CSharp):
    2. // I've isolated most of the water data here to not touch Standard shader code structure too much
    3. ... ... @@ -136,7 +135,7 @@ struct WaterData
    4. half shoreMask;
    5. };
    6. static WaterData globalWaterData;
    7. #if !defined(UNITY_BRDF_PBS)
    8. #if (SHADER_TARGET < 30) || defined(SHADER_API_PSP2)
    9. ... ... @@ -210,7 +209,11 @@ inline void WaterFragmentSetupPre(half2 fftUV, half2 fftUV2, float3 worldPos, ha
    10. {
    11.     globalWaterData.fftUV = fftUV;
    12.     globalWaterData.fftUV2 = fftUV2;
    13.     #if SHADER_API_GLCORE
    14.     globalWaterData.depth = 2 * LinearEyeDepthHalf(screenPos.z / screenPos.w);
    15.     #else
    16.     globalWaterData.depth = LinearEyeDepthHalf(screenPos.z / screenPos.w);
    17.     #endif
    18.     globalWaterData.sceneDepth =  LinearEyeDepthHalf(SAMPLE_DEPTH_TEXTURE_PROJ(_WaterlessDepthTexture, UNITY_PROJ_COORD(screenPos)));
    19.     globalWaterData.projectorViewPos = projectorViewPos;
    20. ... ... @@ -423,7 +426,7 @@ inline half4 SamplePlanarReflectionSimple(sampler2D tex, half4 screenPos, half r
    21. // Used by 'UnityGlobalIllumination' in 'UnityGlobalIllumination.cginc'
    22. inline void PlanarReflection(inout UnityGI gi, half4 screenPos, half roughness, half2 dirRoughness, half3 worldNormal)
    23. {
    24.     #if SHADER_API_GLES || SHADER_API_GLCORE || SHADER_API_GLES3 || SHADER_API_METAL || SHADER_API_PSSL || SHADER_API_PS3 || SHADER_API_PSP2 || SHADER_API_PSM
    25.     screenPos = mul(_PlanarReflectionProj, half4(worldNormal, 0));
    26.     #else
    27.     screenPos = mul((half4x3)_PlanarReflectionProj, worldNormal);
    28. ... ...
    NormalMapper.shader
    Code (CSharp):
    2. line 27 #pragma only_renderers d3d11

seanybaby2 and ibbybn like this.
  10. seanybaby2

seanybaby2

Thanks for sharing! Hopefully this fixes my issue.

11. seanybaby2

seanybaby2

Haha okay... I'm going for this. Thanks!

12. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hey guys, I'm trying to optimize my project with UWS, I see its PreCull method is occupying almoe 6 ms on my computer, and it's over one third of the 16ms limit for 60 FPS requirement. Anyone know how to adjust the settings to optimize it?

13. twobob

twobob

14. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

15. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Oh, I see. It is not you who is missing a letter. It's someone else who has an extra.

twobob likes this.
  16. wood333

wood333

I would use a completely different word. I would use"fizzled." Attention Ultimate Water customers. UWS has fizzled! No, I have something clearer. "Dropped" Unity asset store has dropped UWS. It's sad, no matter what we call it or how we spell it.

Anyway, some of the less ambitious water assets have better integration with weather assets. Back to the tried and true.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  17. Migueljb

Migueljb

I've used this water twice in my scenes and its does such an amazing job I love it. If the dev that works on this is reading this thread then at least provide the 2018 fixes everyone is requesting then move on from it if thats what you choose to do. This thing is way to expensive to just drop off like that.

I think everyone would be fine with that I know I would get it working great in 2018 let everyone know this is what your doing get it done then leave that way. I could respect that not just abandon it like what your doing now.

18. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

So, user zuzzu who three years ago developed Playway water sold some sort of license to Moonlit-Games-Studio / MCPGNZ in january to continue develop his asset, and they charged an upgrade fee for existing users which many (including me) paid, yet gave only about four months of extra support (and I never got my long standing bug from even the Playway days fixed).

I think Unity should refund all Ultimate water sales and possibly ban Moonlit Games Studio from the asset store. This smells very close to a scam, since the price of the asset was in the upper tier. Even if it wasn't, it still feels like being scammed.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    recon0303, ftejada and Harekelas like this.
  19. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

It doesn't feel like a scam. It is a scam. If all I have to do is sell my asset 'license' to another developer for them to add 1 feature and then charge people again for a product that is just a new name for the same item, then that is pretty scammy. I have sunk far too much money into water assets these past few years and every time they fall short.

Tommily69, pat_trick, ftejada and 2 others like this.
  20. MrBeros

MrBeros

I need the Hotfix but i cant download it because i get an error on the download page that my invoice number isnt correct or i got a refund... i know the invoice is correct and i have NO refund because i dont want. can anyone help me ?

21. LookAt11

LookAt11

Hello, I have the same problem. Do you have a solution?

22. Nutaaq

Nutaaq

23. Nutaaq

Nutaaq

UWS Broken when import on Unity 2018.2.6f1? (using UWS Version 2.1.0)

I tried to add shader manually unsuccessfully, they disapear after running the game.

InvalidOperationException: Water in a scene 'Open Waters' doesn't contain necessary shaders to function properly. Please open this scene in editor and simply select the water to update its shaders.
    UltimateWater.WaterMaterials.CreateMaterials () (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WaterMaterials.cs:415)
    UltimateWater.WaterMaterials.Awake (UltimateWater.Water water) (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WaterMaterials.cs:319)
    UltimateWater.Water.Awake () (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Water.cs:316)

24. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Mine was fixed by opening the water component and changing the shader from refractive to solid, having it rebuild the shader list, then it all worked correctly.

ftejada and Nutaaq like this.
  25. Nutaaq

Nutaaq

It worked perfectly, thank you very much!

CaptainMurphy likes this.
  26. Nutaaq

Nutaaq

Same here, ¿any news about this issue? I sended an email to the address shown on GitHub.... But no answers yet.

27. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

I think Unity deprecating the asset has invalidated all of our invoice numbers. They were using the API integration to verify them for download, and when the asset was taken down it removed the connection for us. @hippocoder is that a possibility? I know you have someone on the inside you might be able to ask.

Nutaaq and hippocoder like this.
  28. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I will dig. Or.... in this case... swim.

ftejada and Nutaaq like this.
  29. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hey, I can't even add the Water component to a gameobject, any fixing instructions on 2018.2.6f1?

30. Harekelas

Harekelas

Found the water system is conflicting with unity's Entity package, any ideas how to fix it?

Here is the compiling error:

UNetWeaver error: Exception :System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.
    at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadSymbols (Mono.Cecil.Cil.ISymbolReader reader) [0x0002f] in <28cdca1704d2491781795499c297b78b>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.ModuleReader.ReadSymbols (Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition module, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x0004a] in <28cdca1704d2491781795499c297b78b>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.ModuleReader.CreateModule (Mono.Cecil.PE.Image image, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00081] in <28cdca1704d2491781795499c297b78b>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (Mono.Disposable`1[T] stream, System.String fileName, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x0000d] in <28cdca1704d2491781795499c297b78b>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.String fileName, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x0006c] in <28cdca1704d2491781795499c297b78b>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition.ReadAssembly (System.String fileName, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <28cdca1704d2491781795499c297b78b>:0
    at Unity.UNetWeaver.Weaver.Weave (System.String assName, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] dependencies, Mono.Cecil.IAssemblyResolver assemblyResolver, System.String unityEngineDLLPath, System.String unityUNetDLLPath, System.String outputDir) [0x0000f] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Extensions\Networking\Weaver\UNetWeaver.cs:1763
    at Unity.UNetWeaver.Weaver.WeaveAssemblies (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] assemblies, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] dependencies, Mono.Cecil.IAssemblyResolver assemblyResolver, System.String outputDir, System.String unityEngineDLLPath, System.String unityUNetDLLPath) [0x0004c] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Extensions\Networking\Weaver\UNetWeaver.cs:1888
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    Unity.UNetWeaver.Log:Error(String) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Weaver/Program.cs:20)
    Unity.UNetWeaver.Weaver:WeaveAssemblies(IEnumerable`1, IEnumerable`1, IAssemblyResolver, String, String, String) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Weaver/UNetWeaver.cs:1896)
    Unity.UNetWeaver.Program:process(String, String, String, String[], String[], IAssemblyResolver, Action`1, Action`1) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Weaver/Program.cs:34)
    UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilationInterface:TickCompilationPipeline(EditorScriptCompilationOptions, BuildTargetGroup, BuildTarget)

31. Nutaaq

Nutaaq

Can you execute sample scenes? Here I can compile "Open Waters" sample scene at Unity 2018.2.6f1 without any problems (Using UWS 2.1.0) for Windows

32. Harekelas

Harekelas

What's the unity store version of UWS? I only downloaded the store version.
    I've solved the compiling issue, but now sometimes the underwater effect flashes rapidly, like it's been enabled and disabled each frame, anyone has encountered this issue?

33. Nutaaq

Nutaaq

The Unity Asset Store version of UWS is 2.1.0. You can check it in the changelog.txt inside the asset main folder.

34. twobob

twobob

he fixed this one with https://gist.github.com/twobob/ae7eef02c6946ee6c09e47224aab81d6 for those that come after

ftejada and Harekelas like this.
  35. Harekelas

Harekelas

Another issue: I'm using mapmagic with UWS, and I found a very strange issue in 2018:
    The underwater effect flashes continuously until MapMagic finishes terrain generating.
    This behavior only appears when enabled mapmagic's multithread function, and only when the water level is higher than 0 and the camera is also higher than 0.
    Seems it's the calculation of its submersion state got wrong when multi-threaded workers are working, and ideas?

36. LookAt11

LookAt11

37. recon0303

recon0303

Has anyone ever had issues with Foam not appearing? I had this issue since I bought it, and never got any support... Maybe I will buy this asset, and sell it and not give support then disappear, Unity don't seem to mind..

Joking aside if anyone has seen this happen and knows of a fix, by all means let me know. I noticed this in the demo as well. Thanks.

38. recon0303

recon0303

I tend to agree with you with assets that have been around a year or so. This happens. it will. I tell people don't expect them to last for years and for free.

This is part of development, but this asset, was very shady at best. no support and the dev bought from another...So I can't agree with you sir. and yes I plan to watch if this guy makes any assets in the future , (Games, which he has...and stay away. ) But this is happening to much in Unity, and frankly it will HURT Unity in at the end of the day, people have stopped and will slow down or stop, due to allowing this shady behavior... the first developer I had no issues with him leaving that happens...... but the second, was totally, a scam. period.:)

anyways, for now we can just try and help one another or move on. I won't buy another water asset again. Glad I can make my own in Unreal.. need to start doing that here.. :)

ftejada and twobob like this.
  39. HaBe

HaBe

This error is common currently when having any class that's deriving from NetworkBehaviour in your project together with the incremental compiler (see https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-incremental-c-compiler.523993/). All you have to do in this case is delete NetworkWater.cs and comment line 284 in WaterEditor.cs -> //AddMenuItem(menu, "Network Water", typeof(NetworkWater));
    and it should compile successfully. I had to restart the editor after that and it did a complete recompile, no problems since then.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Harekelas and twobob like this.
  40. twobob

twobob

That is indeed another solution

41. HaBe

HaBe

Oh sorry, didn't notice your answer there before, and stubbing the unet dll is another way of doing it of course. Anyway, personally I always prefer taking the keys away from someone that shouldn't drive with a particular car instead of replacing the car's engine with a cardboard box, for maintainability reasons. Personal taste of course.

42. twobob

twobob

welp. it depends. If I keep having to take away those keys.. Okay enough analogy torturing...
    Both ways work, assuming unet is unrequired for the project and multiple assets start to give this error stubbing can make sense. In this instance yours is the cleaner solution.

recon0303 and HaBe like this.
  43. ftejada

ftejada

Hi!!!

Well I have a couple of quibbles and I do not know what to do or how to solve them ... Let's see if anyone can help me. I run under Unity 2018.2.0f2

I have the latest UWS hotfix and when I compile in the build the water is not displayed correctly. It's like you do not see the reflections or something like that. I leave photos so you can see the difference between what you see in the Unity editor before and what you see in the build:

UWS EditorUnity:
    UWS_UnityEditor.jpg

UWS Build:
    UWS_Build.jpg

The other problem, is with PlayWay Water got a dispersion of the sun's illumination on the surface of the water that I can not get with UWS for many parameters that change ... I imagine that Monolit worsened this in some way Or I'm missing something I do not know ...
    The parameters of the photos in the Water are identical in the variables that both systems have. And the rest I have adjusted so that it looks as much as possible to what I had in PWW System.
    Someone knows how I can get UWS, the results I got with PlyWay Water in the dispersion of light on water. I say light scattering by calling it somehow, because I do not know exactly what it is. I leave photos so you can see the difference:

PlayWayWater:
    PlayWayWaterDispersionLuz.jpg

UWS:
    UWSDispersionLuz1.jpg

regards

44. KarelA

KarelA

Hi. Sry i cant help you since i dont own UWS. But i just have to ask a quick question. That playway picture sample. Is it also from unity 2018? Or is it on older version? I own playway water but for me it's broke on 2018.

45. ftejada

ftejada

@KerIA Unity 5.6.2p2. I don´t test PlayWayWater on Unity2018

46. murt30

murt30

Is it possible to see an example of Water Profile Blend Simple changing the sea state in realtime

47. ffertigo

ffertigo

Hi, is there a way to still get the Hotfix for 2018?. My Invoice nr doesnt't get accepted in the hotfix link? The water renders shadows on the water like it's not transparent. Is there a way to fix this or to just turn off shadow casting on the water? Thanks

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  48. pojoih

pojoih

same here, invoice number does not get recognized :(

49. Stanchion

Stanchion

50. skaughtx0r

skaughtx0r

I recently stumbled across this new open source ocean renderer for Unity 2018.2 https://github.com/huwb/crest-oceanrender

Looks pretty nice, I will probably look into switching over to that and dumping UWS.