Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Water System - The most depreciated realtime water simulation [Depreciated Support thread]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Moonlit-Games-Studio, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Rockroll

Rockroll

@MCPGNZ Thanks for your amazing asset, everythine is fine, but I really need the underwater particles such like the bubbles, splash wave and so on, but I find there are not perfect or invisible if I just use the normal particle with no uws underwater shader below the water, but the effect is so ugly when I use the uws marinesnow shader subtitude for the shader of normal particles. So, could you pls tell me how I can get an suitable partices for underwater?

2. daibutsu

daibutsu

Hi,

During compiling have this errors

Shader error in 'UltimateWater/Refraction/Collect Light': Internal error communicating with the shader compiler process

and

Shader error in 'UltimateWater/Refraction/Collect Light': Failed to find parameters of a compiled D3D9 shader (on d3d9)

Compiling Fragment program with DIRECTIONAL
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA

3. pdq72

pdq72

@daibutsu - I believe you have to disable the Auto Graphics API for Windows and remove Direct3D9 found in Player Settings>Other Settings.

MCPGNZ and daibutsu like this.
  4. mkgame

mkgame

Unity 5.6.3f1

Hi,

I have trouble to build in your water solution in my scene. Not sure what is wrong. Only the basic water profile shows the water in game mode, with the other profiles the water is not visible. The reflection and the water with basic profile looks terrible (no waves). But this just in my game scene. If I open your example scenes in the same project, they work fine. That means the project settings are okay. I also disabled all camera effects on the camera.

Do you have any idea what could be the reason for this incompatibility? Any hint, what could it be?

Edit: Maybe this helps a bit. If I move my camera under the invisible water, then I get this error message:

Shader error in 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _INCLUDE_SLOPE_VARIANCE _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS _WATER_FOAM_WS _WATER_RECEIVE_SHADOWS _WATER_REFRACTION _WAVES_FFT': failed to open source file: '../Includes/UnityStandardCore.cginc' at line 187 (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with DIRECTIONAL _WAVES_FFT _WATER_BACK
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP

Edit 2: The water is now visible, the scaling was over 80000... But the second problem is still available.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  5. mkgame

mkgame

Your water solution costs me 2 - 3.4 ms (mostly 3 ms) CPU time even, if I don't see any water, that is pretty much. AQUAS consumes 0.1ms CPU time. Is there a possibility to shutdown the CPU intensive features? 3 ms for water cannot be right, consuming GPU time is understandable, but not the high load on the CPU. I'm using it for an RTS and targeting desktop PC, not mobile.

6. mkgame

mkgame

Unity 5.6.3f1

Cannot create custom shader sets. I get various error messages after starting the scene... Pretty disapointed with this asset, too much errors, CPU hungry water solution and then for a high price. Another bug: changing the only one directional light source (day/night cycle) makes the water purpure.
    The water asset itself is a good idea, also looks good, but whenever I'm trying to play around with settings I get frustrated by the errors. E.g. at selecting puddle every 2 triangle is fully transparent. I can live with errors, because we are mostly indie developers, but when I cannot get around them, then it makes me frustrated. At least you should build up a scene before you launching a new release (create all features, e.g. shader set, profile and so on...).

- Toggle SceneView rendering is also broken.

- Somehow sometimes the wrong values (purpure water, sometimes dark water) are preserved and just with Unity restart can be reseted. Maybe a button for refreshing could be fix this issue.

One of the errors after setting up a shader set and starting the scene:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UltimateWater.WavesRendererFFT.RenderMaps (Single time, UnityEngine.RenderTexture[] displacementMaps, UnityEngine.RenderTexture[] normalMaps) (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:587)
    UltimateWater.WavesRendererFFT.ValidateWaveMaps () (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:480)
    UltimateWater.WavesRendererFFT.OnWaterRender (UnityEngine.Camera camera) (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:449)
    UltimateWater.WindWaves.OnWaterRender (UltimateWater.WaterCamera waterCamera) (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WindWaves/WindWaves.cs:579)
    UltimateWater.Water.OnWaterRender (UltimateWater.WaterCamera waterCamera) (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Water.cs:551)
    UltimateWater.WaterRenderer.RenderEffects (UltimateWater.WaterCamera waterCamera) (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WaterRenderer.cs:125)
    UltimateWater.WaterCamera.RenderWaterEffects () (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WaterCamera.cs:781)
    UltimateWater.WaterCamera.OnPreCull () (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WaterCamera.cs:501)
    UnityEngine.Camera:RenderWithShader(Shader, String)
    UltimateWater.WaterSubsurfaceScattering:OnWaterRender(WaterCamera) (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WaterSubsurfaceScattering.cs:125)
    UltimateWater.Water:OnWaterRender(WaterCamera) (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Water.cs:551)
    UltimateWater.WaterRenderer:RenderEffects(WaterCamera) (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WaterRenderer.cs:125)
    UltimateWater.WaterCamera:RenderWaterEffects() (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WaterCamera.cs:781)
    UltimateWater.WaterCamera:OnPreCull() (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WaterCamera.cs:501)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  7. daibutsu

daibutsu

One more question.

If i have a mesh (my boat) and don't use convex mesh collider, it is going through the textures. But, if i enable convex mesh collider and set it up, it is look like turning around http://screenshot.su/show.php?img=9470dcca0e62f2f20119d5ab2cee92d0.jpg

The center of the mass is in the bottom.

And one more question. When i add water to the scene i have issue with performance. Is there any way to solve it? Maybe some settings.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  8. C_p_H

C_p_H

Hi @MCPGNZ

I'm researching various water system assets for purchase consideration and the Ultimate Water System has my attention.

Is UWS fully compatible with Unity 2017 macOS Metal?

Can it coexist with other assets in the scene, are there any pitfalls when combining UWS with assets like Gaia, CTS, and UniStorm?

9. daibutsu

daibutsu

Gaia and CTS works fine to me with UWS

MCPGNZ and C_p_H like this.
  10. recon0303

recon0303

I can't see GAIA a terrain tool causing any issues..It uses Unity terrain. and its a tool for making terrains./Height Maps etc

....CTS is a terrain shader, Unistorm on the other hand , could cause issues with lighting. but I haven't tested it yet.....I own it, but I use Enviro.. and it works fine.

C_p_H and MCPGNZ like this.
  11. mkgame

mkgame

UniStorm and Enviro is a problem. The shader will have an error at day/night transition, I guess because sun and moon have different lights. What I see is, that UniStorm sets the light intensity to 0 to deactivate the sun or moon light. After the error I get dark water, seems to be light does not affects the warter anymore.

I would say, the price is incredible high for a so bad tested water solution, but If the bugs will be fixed, this will be an awesome water solution. The water itself looks very good, it has also 3D waves and much more features, but it needs a lot of CPU time. AQUAS needs 0.1 ms on my CPU (CPU not GPU), and after some tuning UWS need about 1.8 ms for the same flat water.

12. C_p_H

C_p_H

@mkgame,
    Very interesting, have you tried UWS with any streamer or clipping solutions (e.g. World Streamer or EasySpeedy) to see if the processing time/FPS improved? Based on what I've read throughout the forum thus far it appears that UWS utilizes both CPU & GPU to render and calculate its compute shaders/physics, @MCPGNZ I'm wondering also if it's a worth while investment in the long term when my Unity project becomes heavily filled with FX, etc. performance wise, has UWS been stress tested under low memory conditions? Which portions of UWS rely upon or can strictly be assigned to the GPU, does it have the capabilities to balance work loads within a bloated scene similar to Hydroform Ocean System?

Has anyone tested UWS in Unity macOS Metal API Editor only?
    Apple has capped support for OpenGL v4.1 in favor of Metal for macOS and its enabled via Unity's PlayerSettings/Graphics APIs for Mac.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  13. snacktime

snacktime

I haven't had any issues with CTS, Gaia, or Enviro. But that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any because all of these packages have so many options, plus the impact of whether you are using linear/gama vs forward/deferred. It's almost impossible to say some combination won't have issues.

C_p_H likes this.
  14. mkgame

mkgame

Im not using the tools you listed above. I'm pretty sure the CPU load can be optimized, maybe the code can be processed in a coroutine. The GPU load is 0.5 ms on NVIDIA 970. I'm at 3.5 GB RAM usage (scene not optimized for memory usage) and switching on/off UWS makes 30-40 MB difference. This calculation is not reliable, just a kind of test. Im making an RTS (http://www.metadesc.com/studio/) and my CPU with UWS grow from 5 ms (basic scene setup) to 7.3 ms load and my GPU 1.4 ms to 1.9 ms. I have a XEON E3 1231 (kind of I7 4770), which has a very good single thread data processing. The GPU and CPU load is always there, even if you don't see the water in the camera. But maybe I made a mistake at integrating the water in my scene.

Watching on this in the scene:

bandicam 2017-12-04 23-12-11-690.jpg

Hint: You don't have to drink this, I needed dirty water ;) You can make it much more beautiful!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  15. C_p_H

C_p_H

O.K., greatly appreciate your responses to my inquiry. I believe UWS has the capacity to play nice with my other assets based on my research thus far. Extraordinary that it's extremely vague though in regards to macOS Metal API support.

I've RTFM and didn't find any mention of Apple Metal API for macOS. My assumption is UWS isn't strictly coded in favor of a specific platform rather it appears to be coded with Unity physics and compute shading flexibility in mind.
    I'm sold on its feature settings and reassured its a very capable asset, however I'm still a bit perplexed about its HLSL (Cg) code implementations. What if I impulse buy UWS now only to find out the hard way that its compute shaders contain DX11 specific code that's incompatible to Metal's raw HLSL readability similar to Suimono's situation.

I really need to know this before hand if I pull the trigger now to get the current sale on the Asset Store. I'm hopeful I will receive an answer from someone (or @MCPGNZ) whom has tried UWS on macOS Metal environment (OpenGL is not future proof on long term Unity macOS projects so that's not an option for my development and even if it was it doesn't support tessellation waves because it's capped at v4.1).

Else on 2nd thought, I wouldn't mind being the first to try it out as long as @Moonlit-Games-Studio could guarantee me a full refund if it doesn't work.

16. C_p_H

C_p_H

@MCPGNZ

According to this documentation, Unity has built-in portability (Shader Compiler) for converting DX11-style HLSL (currently d3dcompiler_47) to Metal-(Microsoft’s HLSL followed by bytecode translation) using HLSLcc.

AFAIK there's no mention on the Asset Store that UWS is for Windows Only, that's why I'm a little persistent at trying it out on my MacBookPro(16GB-RAM, Nvidia 1GB_GDDR5_GPU, SSD, currently running macOS High Sierra 10.13.1).

I'd like to test UWS prior to purchase if that's even possible? Or maybe someone else with a mac that already own UWS could be kind enough to test it in Unity's Metal API, I'd be most grateful.

17. Moonlit-Games-Studio

Moonlit-Games-Studio

Yes, upgrade price is also on discount right now!

18. MCPGNZ

MCPGNZ

Hi all!

Firefox crashed and i have to write everything again :<

@Rockroll

The way the UWS calculates underwater color, restricts the underwater rendering in some manner, so for now only way to get particles is with the custom shader.

@daibutsu
    The solution given by @pdq72 should work fine, the fix is already in the unreleased version (that should be soon be available via asset store). The collider used for buoyancy should closely match the volume that normally would displace the water. If modifying the collider does not solve the issue, please send me a PM with the smallest possible project that reproduces the issue and I'll check it. As for the performance, I need more information about the issue to provide good solution (profiler output, hardware specs, unity version, etc - the more the better).

@mkgame
    Hi, the shader error problem could mean that something went wrong with importing the package, does the reimporting the shader folder/whole UWS package solves this? If not please feel free to add this to the UWS issue list and we can discuss everything in depth there. As for the performance - I've identified many areas which i can optimize, but for now i have to close all the submitted issues. The Toggle SceneView behaviour was changed in the new version (it was not broken but the behaviour was counter intuitive). Can you elaborate about the "wrong values"? I want to fix all the issues but it's easier for me if the descriptions are as precise as they could be. The same thing goes for the shader set errors. As i mentioned earlier, add the issues to the GitHub page and we can discuss them in depth. I think i have UniStorm somewhere so I'll test the problems you're talking about and get back to you. And one more thing - I'm using different Directional Lights without any problems so any tips on how to reproduce your problems would be great.

@C_p_H
    Hi, currently there are some issues with Metal (listed on GitHub page) that I'm working on right now. (the package was developed with DirectX in mind). So i would not recommend it as of yet if you have to have the Metal support right now. There issues are pretty complex so it will take me some time to get rid of them all. I would like you to PM me so we can discuss it more in depth.

As the @snacktime pointed out. The possibility that something goes wrong is unfortunately enormous. Number of possible states that can be set up makes it pretty much impossible to get rid of all the bugs before the release (as some bugs are i.e. specific-graphics-driver/vendor only, etc). So to grasp the numbers: there are 20+ Unity versions (.f, .p) and each and one of them contains version-specific bugs/fixes and changes multiply that times the number of possible settings (rendering paths, hdr, immage effects), times the packages that we want to be compatible with, ... and the fun goes on and on. The only way to make it bug-free and better is to constantly improve it, which I want as much as you.

19. PressEveryButton

PressEveryButton

@Moonlit-Games-Studio Upgrade price is showing as $75 for me. Isn't $75 the normal upgrade price?

20. C_p_H

C_p_H

@MCPGNZ
    Understood, and thanks for the response. Well while I'm still in research and development mode this doesn't surprise me the least bit or byte :p. PM'd you;).

Edit: Discovered this guide and it was demoed at WWDC 2016, I'm sure you're already aware of all of this but just in case others are a little curious why Metal matters for future macOS Unity builds.

Edit2: Using Metal 2 for Compute; 2017 Video Demonstrations.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  21. mkgame

mkgame

Hi, I couldn't give you any precise information, because there were too much issues. I defined the water and it looks good for now. If I don't play around with the settings the water shader does not throw any shader errors. Maybe I have to reimport your asset as you said, that helped for enviro too. The scene view is broken, no way to get the water to the scene.

My biggest concern is the high CPU load and that the GPU always renders the water, event if it is under the terrain. Both together about 2 ms CPU + 0.5 ms GPU will added directly to the main thread and that always. I guess, these issues are nothing that you cannot fix or improve. The water looks awesome, it's worth for waiting!

Edit: I tested for you, reimported UWS...

Triggered by setting the "wind waves mode" to "Gerstner and FFT Normals", then started the scene. I continously getting such errors (settings in the attached image):

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UltimateWater.WavesRendererFFT.RenderMaps (Single time, UnityEngine.RenderTexture[] displacementMaps, UnityEngine.RenderTexture[] normalMaps) (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:587)
    UltimateWater.WavesRendererFFT.ValidateWaveMaps () (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:480)
    UltimateWater.WavesRendererFFT.OnWaterRender (UnityEngine.Camera camera) (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:449)
    UltimateWater.WindWaves.OnWaterRender (UltimateWater.WaterCamera waterCamera) (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WindWaves/WindWaves.cs:579)
    UltimateWater.Water.OnWaterRender (UltimateWater.WaterCamera waterCamera) (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Water.cs:551)
    UltimateWater.WaterRenderer.RenderEffects (UltimateWater.WaterCamera waterCamera) (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WaterRenderer.cs:125)
    UltimateWater.WaterCamera.RenderWaterEffects () (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WaterCamera.cs:781)
    UltimateWater.WaterCamera.OnPreCull () (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WaterCamera.cs:501)
    UnityEngine.Camera:RenderWithShader(Shader, String)
    UltimateWater.WaterSubsurfaceScattering:OnWaterRender(WaterCamera) (at Assets/Standard Assets/[WATER]Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WaterSubsurfaceScattering.cs:125)

The only one improvement is, that the water doesn't stay dark anymore. But who knows what the reason for that was.

I'm sorry, I have not so much time to discuss the bugs somewhere else, I must maintain a lot of assets.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  22. VictoryWorks

VictoryWorks

I was just reading through this thread with a mind to buy UWS and was wondering on this same issue which will effect me as well - how to deal with the floating point precision problem with an infinite world. It struck me that water systems probably use a tiled approach(?) so the best "reset" would be rather than moving the ocean the entire distance with the player/scenery/etc it would be to move it to nearest matching point on the repeating tile. Is there any way in UWS to get that tile replication size at runtime (I'm assuming that the distance between repeats must change based on the wave parameters)?

@MCPGNZ
    I'm looking to have an ocean that can be anywhere in the world and can change constantly, consequently I need quite a large amount of dynamic control. I see in the documents there is a Wind Direction Pointer defined. I assume this can be rotated at anytime to affect the direction of the wind and how that affects the waves?
    My biggest concern is the profiles system and that it appears completely locked down to the editor only. I fully appreciate that you don't want users constantly editing profiles in use at runtime due to the overhead - they'll then complain that it all runs like garbage! However is there no way to create and add a new profile at runtime? For my set up this would only happen approximately once an hour so even a lengthy pause could be hidden in a menu or similar natural pause. I'm quite happy to edit the source to achieve this if it's possible?
    Creating and adding profiles and then controlling the blending at runtime would make it totally flexible and perfect for dynamic environments such as mine.

23. C_p_H

C_p_H

@MCPGNZ

Something came to mind while I was reviewing your UWS demo on my macOS High Sierra.
    Question: If your using DX11 style tessellation #pragma then is what I'm seeing already translated upon the Unity demo build, using OGL or Metal's compute shader automatically (How is it able to show or trick my eyes into seeing tessellated waves on macOS)?

According to Unity's Roadmap, Tessellation for Metal is coming in version 2018.1.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  24. HXCMAN

HXCMAN

For what it's worth, we've had great overall results with macOS as well as tvOS! The wake effect among others seen in demos have some problems but one does presume that @MCPGNZ is aware of those issues. Frame-rate is very smooth on both these devices, transitioning between under/over-water and Azure for sky effects. Performance is optimal with all testing so far, even with proper "soak-testing" etc

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016) with Radeon Pro 460 4 GB
    Apple TV [pre 4k model]!

25. C_p_H

C_p_H

o_O Whoa that sounds incredibly awesome & almost made me pull the trigger on purchasing UWS, but are you using the Metal API or OGL?

26. HXCMAN

HXCMAN

I'm sorry I cannot confirm that accurately right now, I just had to re-download the tvOS build target due to upgrading to the Unity 2017.3 beta. Looks like OGL. I will post here if I can re-build on this version!

27. C_p_H

C_p_H

I've purchased UWS, realizing it'll take me some time to master and there's no better way to show support towards future macOS Metal compatibilities :D.

28. daibutsu

daibutsu

Is it possible to change water color on the scene? I need one scene to be with one color and other on another

29. C_p_H

C_p_H

If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is possible by:
    • Right click in the Project View
    • Select Create/Ultimate Water/Profile
    • Return to your Water component and select newly created profile from Water/Profile dropdown,
    • & changing the Diffuse color of the water.

daibutsu likes this.
  30. daibutsu

daibutsu

Thanks,
    WIll try

31. smithy166

smithy166

Hi All,
    Could someone who owns UWS answer a few questions for me? I've tried to contact the dev through e-mail but had nothing back...
    Does UWS support or use the “fetch” distance to calculate wave height and period? IE the longer the fetch, the larger and longer the swell,
    Can the sea state be changed "on the fly", IE mid-way through a simulation as the weather changes?
    What does a "rough sea" look like in UWS? Is it possible to make something that looks like this?

If I wanted to have areas of "calm water" on a rough sea, would this be doable "out-of-the-box" with UWS? To simulate a calm harbour with a storm outside or something?

Thanks!

32. MCPGNZ

MCPGNZ

Hi!

We'll submit the new version of the UWS by the end of this week with the fixes included.

@HXCMAN
    Thanks for the feedback!

@C_p_H
    Thanks!

@mkgame
    I'll add it to the list and check what's going on.

@VictoryWorks
    Most of the parameters are adjustable at runtime. I'll PM you with a description how to bypass ScriptableObjects completly.

@smithy166
    Hi! You can PM me here on Unity forum if you have any questions.
    The sea state can be changed on the fly (by blending between two or more water profiles) but you cannot change the profiles by area. The fetch is supported, I'll send you some rough sea screenshots later today.

33. daibutsu

daibutsu

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  34. skaughtx0r

skaughtx0r

I'm curious, is there a way to apply the wet lens effect to the camera manually? I'd like to be able to enable it when water splash particles hit the camera.

35. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @MCPGNZ

I'm playing a bit with UWS and I do not know if what I'm going to say is a problem, if it's already reported, or if it's pending to be fixed ... or simply that there's something I'm not doing well

I leave video for you to see.
    The "Refraction Distortion" seems to only generate distortion in a single axis instead of in two .... That is, as if it only generates distortion from left to right but not forward and backward.
    Testing things, I have seen that putting render mode to image effect deferred in the Water Camera, the problem is corrected a bit, but it is still evident.

In the video I compare it with another water asset so you can notice the difference of what I mean.

Could you tell me how to get a refraction like the asset that I show in the second part of the video ???

First part of the UWS video and second part AQUAS

There is another aspect of minor importance and that is very subtle to see clearly ... When you have the Render Mode in Image Effect Deferred, the water seems to have no density "visually speaking" not in physics ...
    However when you put it in Image Effect Forward, the visual aspect of the water when moving is more real, as if it were something more dense and had more weight ...

As I said it is very difficult to appreciate because it is very subtle. And I understand that it is not a serious problem, but it would be good if you looked at it in case it has an easy solution.

a greeting

36. superjayman

superjayman

How can I get alpha blended particle shader to show up under the water?

37. ftejada

ftejada

Hi!!!

I just found this from a guy who is working on this asset for Unity ... These are the results we should aspire to for the shoreline and the waves breaking on the shore ... I think it is very important to implement these characteristics in order to have a realistic ocean. What plans are there for this ???

regards

38. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

Hi all! I'm running the latest Asset Store version of UWS, and my project stopped building in Unity 2017.3.

Shader error in 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _INCLUDE_SLOPE_VARIANCE _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS_HQ _WATER_RECEIVE_SHADOWS _WATER_REFRACTION _WATER_OVERLAYS _WAVES_FFT _PROJECTION_GRID': invalid subscript 'vec' at Assets/Plugins/Environment/Ultimate Water System/Shaders/Includes/UnityStandardShadow.cginc(118) (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program with SHADOWS_CUBE _WAVES_FFT _WATER_OVERLAYS _PROJECTION_GRID_OFF
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER2 UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING​

Any idea what might be the issue?

39. snacktime

snacktime

I get those shader compile errors also it's a real pain and haven't bothered tracking it down yet. Remove your game_Data folder before building definitely helps. It will sometimes still fail but usually builds on at least the 3rd try.

40. snacktime

snacktime

Hey please get rid of the stuff using threads for getting water height. The code comments encourage people to use that but it actually performs worse then just calling GetHeightAt/GetUncompensatedHeightAt on Water.

The threading code there is really an abomination, under actual load it just falls over and consistently gives stale results and it's locking the main thread.

41. C_p_H

C_p_H

I've also got similar errors utilizing the Metal API under Unity 2017.3, I've posted it on the UWS Github for @MCPGNZ to work his magic. I've also tried it in an unreleased Unity 2018.1.0b1 because that version suppose to offer support for tessellation shaders but it crashed too much and was very unstable so I reverted back to 2017.3 for now.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. /*
    2. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Utility/Map Local Displacements' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    3. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water Volume _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _WATER_REFRACTION _BOUNDED_WATER _TRIANGLES _WATER_OVERLAYS _WAVES_ALIGN _WAVES_FFT' - Pass 'DEPTH' has no vertex shader
    4. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water Volume _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _WATER_REFRACTION _BOUNDED_WATER _TRIANGLES _WATER_OVERLAYS _WAVES_ALIGN _WAVES_FFT' - Setting to default shader.
    5. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS _WATER_REFRACTION _BOUNDED_WATER _TRIANGLES _WATER_OVERLAYS _WAVES_ALIGN _WAVES_FFT' - Pass 'FORWARD' has no vertex shader
    6. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS _WATER_REFRACTION _BOUNDED_WATER _TRIANGLES _WATER_OVERLAYS _WAVES_ALIGN _WAVES_FFT' - Pass 'FORWARD_DELTA' has no vertex shader
    7. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS _WATER_REFRACTION _BOUNDED_WATER _TRIANGLES _WATER_OVERLAYS _WAVES_ALIGN _WAVES_FFT' - Pass 'SHADOWCASTER' has no vertex shader
    8. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS _WATER_REFRACTION _BOUNDED_WATER _TRIANGLES _WATER_OVERLAYS _WAVES_ALIGN _WAVES_FFT' - Pass 'DEFERRED' has no vertex shader
    9. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS _WATER_REFRACTION _BOUNDED_WATER _TRIANGLES _WATER_OVERLAYS _WAVES_ALIGN _WAVES_FFT' - Pass 'DEPTH' has no vertex shader
    10. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _INCLUDE_SLOPE_VARIANCE _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS_HQ _WATER_RECEIVE_SHADOWS _WATER_REFRACTION _WATER_OVERLAYS _WAVES_FFT _PROJECTION_GRID' - Pass 'FORWARD' has no vertex shader
    11. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _INCLUDE_SLOPE_VARIANCE _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS_HQ _WATER_RECEIVE_SHADOWS _WATER_REFRACTION _WATER_OVERLAYS _WAVES_FFT _PROJECTION_GRID' - Pass 'FORWARD_DELTA' has no vertex shader
    12. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _INCLUDE_SLOPE_VARIANCE _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS_HQ _WATER_RECEIVE_SHADOWS _WATER_REFRACTION _WATER_OVERLAYS _WAVES_FFT _PROJECTION_GRID' - Pass 'SHADOWCASTER' has no vertex shader
    13. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _INCLUDE_SLOPE_VARIANCE _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS_HQ _WATER_RECEIVE_SHADOWS _WATER_REFRACTION _WATER_OVERLAYS _WAVES_FFT _PROJECTION_GRID' - Pass 'DEFERRED' has no vertex shader
    14. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _INCLUDE_SLOPE_VARIANCE _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS_HQ _WATER_RECEIVE_SHADOWS _WATER_REFRACTION _WATER_OVERLAYS _WAVES_FFT _PROJECTION_GRID' - Pass 'DEPTH' has no vertex shader
    15. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water Volume _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _WATER_RECEIVE_SHADOWS _WATER_REFRACTION _WATER_OVERLAYS _WAVES_FFT _PROJECTION_GRID' - Pass 'DEPTH' has no vertex shader
    16. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water Volume _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _WATER_RECEIVE_SHADOWS _WATER_REFRACTION _WATER_OVERLAYS _WAVES_FFT _PROJECTION_GRID' - Setting to default shader.
    17. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _EMISSION _INCLUDE_SLOPE_VARIANCE _NORMALMAP _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS _WATER_REFRACTION' - Pass 'FORWARD' has no vertex shader
    18. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _EMISSION _INCLUDE_SLOPE_VARIANCE _NORMALMAP _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS _WATER_REFRACTION' - Pass 'FORWARD_DELTA' has no vertex shader
    19. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _EMISSION _INCLUDE_SLOPE_VARIANCE _NORMALMAP _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS _WATER_REFRACTION' - Pass 'SHADOWCASTER' has no vertex shader
    20. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _EMISSION _INCLUDE_SLOPE_VARIANCE _NORMALMAP _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS _WATER_REFRACTION' - Pass 'DEFERRED' has no vertex shader
    21. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _EMISSION _INCLUDE_SLOPE_VARIANCE _NORMALMAP _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS _WATER_REFRACTION' - Pass 'DEPTH' has no vertex shader
    22. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water Volume _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _EMISSION _WATER_REFRACTION' - Pass 'DEPTH' has no vertex shader
    23. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water Volume _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _EMISSION _WATER_REFRACTION' - Setting to default shader.
    24. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS _WATER_REFRACTION _TRIANGLES _WAVES_FFT' - Pass 'FORWARD' has no vertex shader
    25. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS _WATER_REFRACTION _TRIANGLES _WAVES_FFT' - Pass 'FORWARD_DELTA' has no vertex shader
    26. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS _WATER_REFRACTION _TRIANGLES _WAVES_FFT' - Pass 'SHADOWCASTER' has no vertex shader
    27. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS _WATER_REFRACTION _TRIANGLES _WAVES_FFT' - Pass 'DEFERRED' has no vertex shader
    28. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS _WATER_REFRACTION _TRIANGLES _WAVES_FFT' - Pass 'DEPTH' has no vertex shader
    29. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water Volume _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _WATER_REFRACTION _TRIANGLES _WAVES_FFT' - Pass 'DEPTH' has no vertex shader
    30. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water Volume _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _WATER_REFRACTION _TRIANGLES _WAVES_FFT' - Setting to default shader.
    31. */

42. Stickeyd

Stickeyd

I'm trying to work with this asset and ortographic camera mode to mix my 2D island assets with 3D water and water physics. Should I be ware of any underlying problems?

Also, how can I achieve this particular stylized look?

Should I try to project texture with "black smears" to achieve this effect of black smears? And should I also change foam texture to achieve stylized foam? Or should I do something else?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  43. isar

isar

When was that update coming @MCPGNZ ??

44. MCPGNZ

MCPGNZ

Hi all.

The UWS 2.1.0 is ready and i already forwarded it to publishing. So hopefully, it will be available soon. (There will be another post from @Moonlit-Games-Studio about that)

@daibutsu
    The colliders for Water Physics components should be convex, the mass calculated by clicking the "Set mass to obtain 100% gravity balance" takes the volume of the collider and matches the water density. If the object should float, the gravity balance should be above 100%. Another thing to remember, is that the center of mass in unity is geometrical, and in case of ships etc, does not fit the weight distribution, to change that you can move the center of mass (as explained in documentation)

@skaughtx0r
    Hi,
    I'm assuming that you're referring to the WaterDropsIME? This component generates masking texture based on water volume, and manual override is not implemented, but it's pretty simple to add this so if you can create enhancement issue on gihub i can implement it between bug-fixes (i think).

@ftejada
    I'll check it and get back to you on this tomorrow.
    As for the shores and videos you provided. Note that this simple demo uses 700MB of vram. Particle simulation will probably not be a part of UWS for a long time (if ever).

@superjayman
    Unfortunately, due the way the depth color is computed, transparent particles are currently not possible without visible visual artifacts.

@Aubrey-Falconer
    The one problem that people experience is the one mentioned here. If that does not help, you can try reimporting the package (it sometimes helps). If not - please create issue on github and we can discuss it there.

@C_p_H
    I'm still working on the metal-opengl related issues.

@Stickeyd
    This asset was created with realistic water simulation in mind, so creating very stylized looks can be quite challenging.
    The best way is to just try to experiment with all the profile settings and get a feel what they influence.

ftejada likes this.
  45. skaughtx0r

skaughtx0r

@MCPGNZ I actually ended up using the WaterRaindropIME instead for this effect.

46. Corby-Interactive

Corby-Interactive

Hi everyone I just Upgraded PWS to UWS hoping to see it working on my gearVR. Unluckily I've got the same problem I had with PWS: tons of shader errors so no valid builds.I found that changing some settings reduces the errors amount from 81 to 14 anyway I cannot reach 0. Now can you @MCPGNZ prepare a buildable project with just...WATER to share with us? It' s easier for everyone to have something specific to start for VR with samsung phones, I will then re-add all of my project's elements. I also have got 4 shader errors in "normal" android build but even if it tells "build failed with 4 errors" the app works fine. Please @MCPGNZ build a base for gear VR, as you can see also in PWS's forum other people is having issues.

47. Moonlit-Games-Studio

Moonlit-Games-Studio

Hello!

Latest version 2.1.0 was just uploaded to Asset Store -> awaiting review now.

## [2.1.0] - 2018-01-01

### Added
    - [#16](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/16) - WaveEmitters from PW2.0b13
    - [#30](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/30) - the _WaterVolumeBase_ takes collider.center into account
    - [#26](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/26) - _WaterProfileBlendSimple_ for easier integration
    - [#23](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/23) - customizable submersion detection
    - very basic demo scene showing ShipBowWaves

### Changed
    - merged fixes from _PlayWay Water v2.0b13_
    - _Water.GetHeightAt_ and other data sampling methods now compensate horizontal displacements by default.
    For the old behaviour, use _Water.GetHaightAtUncompensated_
    - _Toggle SceneView Rendering_ is now saved in _Water Project Settings_
    - all demo scenes now include reflection probes
    - renamed part of the API variables to new naming conventions
    - changed _WaterForceData_ to _WaterForce.Data_
    - GetAndResetFast now take _out_ instead of _ref_ parameters
    - changed _WaterGlobals_ to _WaterSystem_
    - moved _FindWater_ methods from _Water_ script to _WaterSystem_

### Fixed
    - [#12](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/12) - searching for the UWS folder causing errors when trying to create new _WaterQualitySettings_ asset
    - [#12](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/12) - lack of _WaterQualitySettings_ synchronization with Unity profiles after creating new WQS asset
    - [#12](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/12) - issue with _WaterQualitySettings_ not creating after entering playmode (when it was deleted earlier)
    - [#9](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/9) - removed black line caused by not cleared _WaterlessDepth_ texture
    - [#9](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/9) - fixed EdgeBlendFactor equation in _Deferred Module_
    - [#18](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/18) - "disco" effect with _Planar Reflections_ on AMD cards
    - [#19](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/19) - Image Effect Deferred problems with depth precision flicker
    - [#7](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/7) - hardcoded 1000 units clipping
    - [#1](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/1) - invisible water
    - [#28](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/28) - removed _Camera.Main_ check in _DynamicWater
    - [#28](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/28) - allocations in _VersionCompatibility_ check
    - [#25](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/25) - _RadialGrid_ matrix calculations when camera's facing down
    - [#5](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/5) - vertical dark lines with _deferred_
    - [#5](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/4) - transparency bug
    - [#15](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/15) - shader compilation error on Collect Light shader
    - [#16](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/35) - NRE in _WaterSample_ when we change scene from one that contains water to one that does not
    - [#38](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/38) - shader compiler error caused by lack of _static_ keyword on _WaterData_ variable definition
    - [#23](https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System/issues/23) - submersion state not behaving correctly

- errors in _CollectLight_ caused by unused shader variations
    - .NET 4.6 compatibility issues caused by different path separators
    - issue with growing dynamic wave amplitudes when timeScale == 0
    - gizmo showing currently selected _Custom mesh_ in _Water component_ is now multiplied by _water gameObject_ transform matrix
    - removed unnecessary _Graphics.Blit_ calls in _WaterSimulationArea_
    - removed linq foreach iteration in _Water_ to prevent memory allocations
    - removed unnecessary _string memcpy_ in _WaterParticleDislplacement_
    - mimap info in _WaterProjectSettings_ is now cached
    - exploding _WaterSimulationArea_
    - OpenGl: "Graphics.CopyTexture called on textures of different sizes" error in _WaterRaindropsIME_
    - OpenGl: inverted Raindrops texture in the _Final_ shader
    - render textures not being cleared between scene switches

SquadraCorse and blitzvb like this.
  48. snacktime

snacktime

I'm posting this in a couple of relevant water related asset threads. Mainly because while I want to share it, I have no desire to really support it, for it to have it's own thread.

Basically I created a simple Kinematic boat controller and buoyancy setup.
    https://github.com/gamemachine/kinematicBoatController

While fairly basic and rough around some edges, I think it's a good starting point and I couldn't find any existing kinematic controllers out there. It uses the new ComputePenetration call for handling interaction with other rigidibodies. Performance is going to be far better then a non kinematic solution, especially when say compared to the open source non kinematic buoyancy controller everyone is using.

MCPGNZ likes this.
  49. Stickeyd

Stickeyd

I can't render underwater objects with orthographic camera. Is it possible to somehow do it?It should be something like this(plane underwater).
    But I get this -

50. unicat

unicat

Should UWS be visible in the editor ? I can only see it in playmode. (Unity 1017.3.0p1)