Search Unity

Ultimate Water System - The most depreciated realtime water simulation [Depreciated Support thread]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Moonlit-Games-Studio, Sep 7, 2017.

1. syscrusher

syscrusher

ROFL! I actually thought of that same thing when I did the test!

Teila likes this.
  2. syscrusher

syscrusher

No worries; I only reported that as a data point for completeness. :)

I agree with that choice in general, but I think in the future you might want to add at least one more complete demo showing how the features work together, and implementing a free camera. For example, the only demo with the galleon doesn't have the ship rolling with the water, just making a wake.

I have to respectfully disagree with you that the direction of mass vs. buoyancy is not a bug. It's the opposite of how things work in the real world. The volume is constant, determined by the collider. The Archimedes principle says the ship will rise or sink until it displaces water equal to its own mass, or of that point cannot be reached, it will sink to the bottom. If volume is constant, and mass increases, buoyancy is lower, not higher.

I'm also a little concerned seeing mass numbers in the 100000 kg and higher range, because in some cases having extremely high mass RigidBodies colliding with lower mass objects can cause projectile behavior. But I haven't yet observed this, so I won't make a "thing" of it for now. :)

3. stevenwanhk

stevenwanhk

Hi,

I got this error in every sample scene.

Code (csharp):
    2. Texture has out of range width / height
    3. UnityEngine.Texture2D:.ctor(Int32, Int32, TextureFormat, Boolean, Boolean)
    4. UltimateWater.Internal.GpuFFT:CreateButterflyTexture() (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Spectra/FFT/GpuFFT.cs:99)
    5. UltimateWater.Internal.GpuFFT:CreateTextures() (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Spectra/FFT/GpuFFT.cs:56)
    6. UltimateWater.Internal.GpuFFT:.ctor(Int32, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Spectra/FFT/GpuFFT.cs:29)
    7. UltimateWater.Internal.Dx11FFT:.ctor(ComputeShader, Int32, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Spectra/FFT/Dx11FFT.cs:13)
    8. UltimateWater.WavesRendererFFT:ChooseBestFFTAlgorithm(Boolean) (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:318)
    9. UltimateWater.WavesRendererFFT:ValidateFFT(GpuFFT&, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:301)
    10. UltimateWater.WavesRendererFFT:ValidateResources() (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:182)
    11. UltimateWater.WavesRendererFFT:Enable() (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:124)
    12. UltimateWater.WindWaves:ResolveFinalSettings(WaterQualityLevel) (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WindWaves/WindWaves.cs:430)
    13. UltimateWater.WindWaves:.ctor(Water, Data) (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WindWaves/WindWaves.cs:261)
    14. UltimateWater.Water:CreateWaterComponents() (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Water.cs:614)
    15. UltimateWater.Water:OnEnable() (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Water.cs:272)
    Code (csharp):
    2. UnityException: Failed to create texture because of invalid parameters.
    3. UnityEngine.Texture2D..ctor (Int32 width, Int32 height, TextureFormat format, Boolean mipmap, Boolean linear) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/TextureBindings.gen.cs:180)
    4. UltimateWater.Internal.GpuFFT.CreateButterflyTexture () (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Spectra/FFT/GpuFFT.cs:99)
    5. UltimateWater.Internal.GpuFFT.CreateTextures () (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Spectra/FFT/GpuFFT.cs:56)
    6. UltimateWater.Internal.GpuFFT..ctor (Int32 resolution, Boolean highPrecision, Boolean twoChannels, Boolean usesUAV) (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Spectra/FFT/GpuFFT.cs:29)
    7. UltimateWater.Internal.Dx11FFT..ctor (UnityEngine.ComputeShader shader, Int32 resolution, Boolean highPrecision, Boolean twoChannels) (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Spectra/FFT/Dx11FFT.cs:13)
    8. UltimateWater.WavesRendererFFT.ChooseBestFFTAlgorithm (Boolean twoChannels) (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:318)
    9. UltimateWater.WavesRendererFFT.ValidateFFT (UltimateWater.Internal.GpuFFT& fft, Boolean present, Boolean twoChannels) (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:301)
    10. UltimateWater.WavesRendererFFT.ValidateResources () (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:182)
    11. UltimateWater.WavesRendererFFT.Enable () (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:124)
    12. UltimateWater.WindWaves.ResolveFinalSettings (WaterQualityLevel quality) (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WindWaves/WindWaves.cs:430)
    13. UltimateWater.WindWaves..ctor (UltimateWater.Water water, UltimateWater.Data data) (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WindWaves/WindWaves.cs:261)
    14. UltimateWater.Water.CreateWaterComponents () (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Water.cs:614)
    15. UltimateWater.Water.OnEnable () (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Water.cs:272)
    My Unity version: 2017.1.2f1

Thanks.

4. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @Moonlit-Games-Studio or @MCPGNZ

Maybe this is a stupid request, so I apologize in advance if it is.

Would not it be nice to edit the first UWS post and include the link of github there?

regards

Moonlit-Games-Studio and MCPGNZ like this.
  5. MCPGNZ

MCPGNZ

@syscrusher
    I was referring to the snappiness ("bug") of the boat with some combinations of WaterPhysics parameters. The mass-buoyancy thing is strange and I'll add it to Issues and will check whats happening.

@stevenwanhk
    I've created an Issue for this, could you provide your hardware specs (in the created issue)?

@ftejada
    Of course, done, it was stupid of me to not to it in the first place ;)

syscrusher and ftejada like this.
  6. Moonlit-Games-Studio

Moonlit-Games-Studio

Done :)

All new users coming here: please read the first post with links to documentation, demons and especially bug tracking.

It would help us much if all of users experiencing problems would log bugs here: https://github.com/Moonlit-Games/Ultimate-Water-System

Thanks in advance!

ftejada and trilobyteme like this.
  7. syscrusher

syscrusher

Thank you for clarifying. I had misunderstood. :)

In case you missed my other post (understandable given how many there have been), I consider the snappiness issue fully resolved. I just needed to bump the angular drag in the RigidBody properties upward.

8. Tommily69

Tommily69

I had the same problem, but found out how to solve it.

This 'flashlight effect' is caused by black reflections because there is no Reflection Probe in the scene.

This is how it looks without a Reflection Probe in the Scene:

You can see ugly black reflections on the borders of the screen which look like a Vignette effect.

And this is how it looks after adding a Reflection Probe to the scene:
    Much better now. :)

If you dont want to use Reflection Probes in your scene, you can edit the 'Shader Set' of your 'Water' component, and switch off the setting for 'Reflection Probe Usage'.

Best regards,
    Thomas

Edit:
    Here it can be seen much better:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Stickeyd, MCPGNZ and ftejada like this.
  9. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

For me the profile blend is a bit confusing. With the windspeedslider.cs from the PlayWay beta versions it's possible to blend the profiles with only one slider. Would it be possible to change the water profile blend script to the Playway version? I need to control the wave height from the water profiles with only one slider. Because the slider controls also the wind speed of weather asset.

10. MCPGNZ

MCPGNZ

I'm currently working on all the problems listed on the github issue list.
    It will be a while to get through the initial wave ( :)) ) of them so I'm asking for a bit of patience.

One problem that have came up, is that i want to give you an access to the hot-fixes immediately, but cannot just publicly post the code. So for a day or two (until i arrange for a better solution) it will be pretty ugly/tedious way for the hot-fixing - I'll post only the paths and code lines to change. Sorry for that inconvenience. (i know it's bad, but the options for the few days are: tedious or none).

I've also created changelog to easily see, what was done already (along with links to the Issues),
    and added FAQ and Troubleshooting sections to readme.

@Tommily69
    Thank you very much for spending your own time helping others (and me!).
    I'll add it to the issues for completeness and fix the code behind the issue so that default behaviour would work as expected.

@Bartolomeus755
    Hi! I'll create simple version of (or add another mode to) the WaterProfileBlend so it could be controller with just one value. Note that issues are my priority right now (but this is small enough that I'll probably do it in the time between the issues).

11. TheFoundation

TheFoundation

In "Project Settings -> Water" under "Ultimate Water System version 1.0.0" is the setting "Asset Files Creation" which I can set to "Manual".

How do I then manually create this unique water asset file (needed per scene apparently)?

The automatic generation of such an asset file seems to be broken in my current project for some reason. This results in: "InvalidOperationException: Water in a scene '...' doesn't contain necessary shaders to function properly. Please open this scene in editor and simply select the water to update its shaders." .. which I did. (It works in a clean new project though.)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  12. MCPGNZ

MCPGNZ

ftejada likes this.
  13. TheFoundation

TheFoundation

I appreciate your help. It will take me some time to find a proper reproduction before I can create an issue worth working on.

I would still like to know how to trigger the generation of such a scene asset manually (since there is an extra option for it)?

14. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Thank you for adding this. But I have an another request. Would it be also possible to include the ShipBowWaveEmitter and WaveEmitter scripts from the Playway beta versions? I'm currently working on a ship simulator and I'm not able to create a realistic looking bow or stern wave effect with Ultimate Water.

With the three script from the Playway beta (also the PlayWay Water Ship script) it's very easy to create bow and stern waves.

Marko

15. zuzzu

zuzzu

Hey, I'm an author of the PlayWay Water. I will do my best to help with some issues to ease some burden off @MCPGNZ ;)

These files had been deprecated in PWS 2.0 beta and this setting currently doesn't have any effect. You can safely ignore this until its imminent removal.

It's caused by the water quality settings file being damaged. That file is located at "Ultimate Water System\Resources\WaterQualitySettings.asset" and the issue can be fixed by importing that file again from the original asset files.

I've seen issues with reflections very often. Your post clarifies reflection probes part very well with good shots, but I've decided to write a short guide about reflections in general, because I've seen most confusion in these areas.

1. If forward or default queue water render mode is used on the Water Camera, then be sure to have a single reflection probe with extremely large bounding box in the open that will contain the overall environment and nothing more. Be sure to link the transform of that reflection probe into the proper field on Water component.

upload_2017-10-17_21-24-10.png

Forward render mode isn't good for blending multiple reflection probes on such large surfaces, so it's not recommended to try such approaches.

2. If deferred water render mode is used on the Water Camera, then all probes in the scene will be blended just fine on the whole surface of the water. Just be sure to cover all your visible areas with reflection probes. Usually, it's desired to have a large environment probe in this case too to cover all the lower priority areas in the open. You can set its priority to be low, to make it a fallback when there are no other probes around.

3. If you intentionally don't use the reflection probes and just want the planar reflections alone, then be sure to set "Reflection Probes Usage" to Off in the shader set file. Water won't mix them with planar reflections from now on and you won't see the vignette effect, but reflections won't be as good, because planar reflections don't contain data about scene behind the camera.

4. If you are pursuing a more modern approach with screen space reflections, follow this checklist:

- Disable planar reflections in the shader set file.

- Reflection probes are still recommended.

- Water rendering mode on Water Camera should be set to deferred.

- If SSR effect executes normally as an opaque image effect then be sure to place it lower in hierarchy than Water Camera IME component. No other actions are necessary.

- If SSR effect of your choice is executed by command buffers, like the latest versions of Unity Postprocessing Stack (v1 and v2), then you will have to manually find all occurences of CameraEvent.BeforeImageEffectsOpaque in the effect scripts and replace them with CameraEvent.AfterImageEffectsOpaque. It's theoretically a bit less correct, but in practice this doesn't have any consequences in almost all practical cases and that's the only way without the use of scriptable render loops that are coming to Unity soon. This applies to other effects too like SSAO and occasionally some atmospheric scattering effects.

16. Galahad

Galahad

You're an awesome person zuzzu. =D

17. MCPGNZ

MCPGNZ

Good news everyone!

For the people that want the fixes as soon as possible, I've created a way to download all of them.
    After inputting invoice/order number you'll be able to download newest hot-fix (as a package containing just the changed files). I've also updated the readme on github to include informations about the hot-fixes.
    (as some of you probably know, creating asset store updates for each and every one of the issues is a no-no)

18. sadicus

sadicus

Now that's a useful way to download!

Moonlit-Games-Studio likes this.
  19. zuzzu

zuzzu

I just spotted some issues that have recurred a few times during my support requests.

@MCPGNZ is doing the real work here.

Moonlit-Games-Studio and Galahad like this.
  20. Efril

Efril

Will the upgrade option be unlimited in time? I want to try PWS beta first and upgrade to Ultimate Water System only if PWS not satisfy my needs.

21. bigbrainz

bigbrainz

Hello! Could you please comment on WebGL performance. We're owners of PlayWay and WebGL quality and performance is quite a bit worse. Can you please chat about how the new version is better? Or will be? WebGL is critical for us. Thank you!

WebGL
    upload_2017-10-18_14-48-19.png

Same computer in Editor
    upload_2017-10-18_14-49-12.png

22. Moonlit-Games-Studio

Moonlit-Games-Studio

Option to upgrade will be available in future, however current upgrade price ($50) will be only available till the end of October. After that price will jump to $75 for upgrade.

I've added @MCPGNZ link to "Hotfix Download" to the first post: http://goo.gl/nBx7dS

ftejada and MCPGNZ like this.
  23. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_

While I'm looking forward to having a look at the water physics included with this asset, it would be easiest for my initial integration to continue to rely on water height queries and my own voxel-based buoyancy system based on the community script. As I understand it, I need to create a WaterSample object and then essentially use GetAndReset and/or GetAndResetFast for water height at a given x, z coordinate in world space. I'm not following when to use each, however. The latter's summary says, "Faster version of GetAndReset. Assumes HeightAndForces displacement mode and that computations were started earlier with a Start call." The displacement mode I can probably dig deeper on, but I'm not following the concept of, "computations being started earlier."

I have a global method at present where all my height queries go throughout the whole project. Can I re-use the same water sample over and over again there with different x, z coordinates coming in? Again, which method should I be using in a setup like this?

To answer my own question for anyone else curious, I now have two entries in my asset store downloads for PWS and UWS.

syscrusher likes this.
  24. cvadiablo

cvadiablo

How can I reduce the cost of the Water Camera?

25. Galahad

Galahad

Had this issue a while ago. I use 4 cameras per machine on a big setup of 4 machines to emulate a ship bridge (the windows and the instruments are various monitors), so the WaterCamera performance was really hitting hard.

I just disabled the planar reflections. It made the scene a lot less realistic, but was a valid compromise for it running on an acceptable FPS.

26. zuzzu

zuzzu

To supplement Galahad answer:

• Cost of this method is usually overestimated by the profiler, especially if planar reflections are enabled. It's because planar reflections are usually rendered before everything else and trigger some Unity operations that are executed once per frame, on things like the terrain. If you will remove the water from the project, some of this overhead will move to other places.
    • Planar reflections are pretty heavy, nonetheless. You can decrease their resolution and disable some layers from being rendered into the reflections to save some GPU time.
    • Screen space reflections effects are usually less dependent on the scene complexity. You can read this post to find tips how to use them with water.

syscrusher, MCPGNZ and Galahad like this.
  27. Galahad

Galahad

Yeah, I think that SSR is the way to go with PWS or UWS, unless you are targetting a high-end platform, were the realism of planar reflections can be fully enjoyed.

syscrusher likes this.
  28. zuzzu

zuzzu

Planar reflections are a good solution for calm water as they contain reflection data for a perfect plane, but they aren't that good for water with big waves. For example - ship on a big wave may be not reflected at all. It's something that's worth to remember. SSR is generally more reliable across weathers and quality is usually good enough too.

29. cvadiablo

cvadiablo

How can I disable planar reflections?
    Change the profile and set the Intensity to 0 ?

30. cvadiablo

cvadiablo

I meet a issue about the "water IME" script. When I enable this script, all the object which render in transparent queue will appear at the top of camera. It seems like your script clean the Z buffer. Can you fix this?

31. MCPGNZ

MCPGNZ

@syscrusher
    I've created a demo scene with two ships that differ only in mass, and the heavier one is clearly less buoyant.
    (the gravity balance is much lower, and the ship sinks). Can you PM me a scene with the example of the mass - buoyancy problem?

@cvadiablo
    Hi! You can disable the Planar Reflections, by selecting the Shader-Set (in the Water component, on the right side of Shader-Set field is the Edit button) and in the Reflection & Refraction setting Planar Reflections to disable.
    As for the z-buffer - I will look into it.

upload_2017-10-20_13-15-9.png

upload_2017-10-20_13-15-40.png

syscrusher and Galahad like this.
  32. Funkeys

Funkeys

Hi,
    because I wanted to test that too, I have made a quick and dirty transfer of this scripts from PlayWay beta to UWS.

WaveEmitterUpdate

The namespaces and some of the scripts are changed accordingly (quick and dirty), and the .zip file only contains the missing scripts/textures in the correct folders.

It works in my project and i hope i did not forget any files to copy to the .zip.
    upload_2017-10-20_14-34-43.png

SquadraCorse, ftejada, John-G and 2 others like this.
  33. Funkeys

Funkeys

I did some testing about buoyancy/water height precision, because i had some problems with it in one of the last PlayWay beta releases.
    It turned out, that this precision problems are solved in UWS and in the latest PlayWay beta! Well i experience a bit slower performance now, but that´s a fair price for good quality I guess.

It is great to see things are going forward again with this, in my opinion, awesome Water asset!

34. fatality674

fatality674

On the asset store page it says the asset is deprecated. This is via clicking the asset in our assets library. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

35. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

I will try that, thank you very much! :)

Funkeys and GeorgeKaramaGR like this.
  36. Tommily69

Tommily69

I am also very confused.

At the beginning of this year I purchased the "PlayWay Water System", because the water system "Ceto" was deprecated (okay, this was another story).

Then, one month ago, on September 20, 2017, I purchased the new 'Ultimate Water System" for the full price of € 156,33 (total € 187,60 incl. VAT). I still have the invoice of it. And was shocked a few days later, whan I saw that also this new water system was deprecated.

Okay, now the 'Ultimate Water System" is back again on the Asset Store. But all looks as if I never purchased it. A few days ago, the deprecated version of 'Ultimate Water System" could be seen in my Purchased Assets List. But yesterday it suddenly disappeared from that list.

So what shall I do now? Do I really have to purchase it a second time to get updates in future?!?
    Or shall I purchase it again, and get a voucher for the € 187,60 that I paid for the first (deprecated) version of 'Ultimate Water System"?
    I also read here that it is possible to make an upgrade from "PlayWay Water System" to 'Ultimate Water System". But I can't find a possibility to make that upgrade.

So what shall I do?

37. elbows

elbows

Do this, from an earlier post in this forum thread:

Tommily69 likes this.
  38. syscrusher

syscrusher

Well.....I tried, but now I can't replicate the problem any more! I wonder if it was a fluke of the last 2017.2 Unity beta, because now I'm running the 2017.2 released version.

The mass numbers still seem high to me, to get reasonable buoyancy. For me, the ship has to have a mass of about 400 megagrams (!) to get a ratio of 161% at buoyancy factor of 1.0. That's not a bug, but it might suggest a decimal point slipped somewhere in the simulation math (maybe a formula written for Kg was used in a grams context?).

All that being said, though, the physics are looking really good visually now that I adjusted the rotational drag.

EDIT: I did some background research, and I am now coming forward to, proverbially speaking, eat some crow!

I found that galleons in one notable fleet averaged 600 imperial tons displacement. That is roughly 545,000 kg, using an approximation of 2.2 pounds/kilogram for conversion.

So the mass actually is right inline, no matter how odd it seems to me. I apologize for my error, and am herewith posting publicly to set the record straight.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Teila likes this.
  39. cvadiablo

cvadiablo

Z-buffer problem happens in "Image Effect Forward" mode , when I switch to "Default Queue" the issue is gone.

40. iddqd

iddqd

Are you working on removing the Playway Reviews from the UWS page?

41. Aquaminator

Aquaminator

Hello there, does anyone know if it is possible to have several simulation areas on top of each other, which respond to different effects (e.g. to simulate rain and ship wake at the same time, but with different settings in the profiles)?

42. superjayman

superjayman

Why are the Playway Reviews still on there? It's a little misleading..

43. iddqd

iddqd

Especially i can imagine that it will impact sales - if I didn't know about this thread and was just somebody looking for a water asset, i would skip UWS after reading the first few reviews.

Teila likes this.
  44. nomax5

nomax5

Am I right in thinking if you buy playway water for €89.33 then upgrade to UWS for €44.67 = €134.00 then you are saving €22.33 and you get 2 water systems?

45. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hi Funkeys,

thanks for yor transfer of the scripts, works great so far. Here is the my result with Ultimate Water and your converted scripts.

Marko

46. skaughtx0r

skaughtx0r

Awesome! This was the only thing holding me back from upgrading, hopefully it just gets included into the next patch.

47. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I'm willing to give you a shot even though I was burned by Playway. Just purchased. :)

Moonlit-Games-Studio likes this.
  48. Nexusmaster

Nexusmaster

Hi, I tried UWS with the latest unity beta, but some shaders were broken, so I added:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. static WaterData globalWaterData;
    in the WaterLib.cginc.
    This fixed the errors, but the water is still not visible, maybe somebody can help me out here, I know it's unity beta, but sooner or later we have to tackle this issue...

49. brave_mike

brave_mike

Can someone push me in the right direction with the underwater effect?

I have an ocean (radial grid) that is set to boundless. Underwater effect works as expected.

Now I would like to have a lake at a different height above the ocean.

Ok - I am generating a water surface with a custem mesh for the lake. Everything clear so far.

But I do not find out how I can apply the underwater effect to the lake.

Do I have to create a collider for the lake and then trigger the script "Underwater IME" with it?

Or is there another way?

ftejada likes this.
  50. brave_mike

brave_mike

Ok, after some research I can answer my question myself. I have to use an additive volume and have to set the appropriate water volume (in my case the lake) to "puddle" (boundless switched off). Then everything works as expected.

MCPGNZ and ftejada like this.