Search Unity

Ultimate Water System - The most depreciated realtime water simulation [Depreciated Support thread]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Moonlit-Games-Studio, Sep 7, 2017.

1. ibbybn

ibbybn

Don't get the negative comments. Didn't encounter any bugs so far,only user error setting it up wrong type stuff.
    Ok actually one bug, the jittering when looking up to the water at just the right angle.

Considering switching to unity 2018. Anyone tried UWS with it yet?

Is there an easy way to get rid of the transparency circle above the camera? Imho it looks too fake.
    Just point me in the right direction in the shader code if anyone knows where.

Also, has anyone found a good way to add your own underwater godrays? Only tried volumetric spot lights yet with aura but it looks bad with camera movements(ghosting).

2. stickybz

stickybz

I think the comment was useful though, as for £156.33 one could reasonably expect some support

recon0303 and ftejada like this.
  3. skaughtx0r

skaughtx0r

@ibbybn I played around with using 2018.1, I'm not using the latest released version of UWS though. I'm on the last hotfix prior to the last release on the Asset store with a fix for 2017.3 that someone posted on the forums. This works in 2018.1, however I am getting some rendering bugs, the water color appears to change or flicker sometimes. I'll probably try testing with the latest version sometime this week, I'll report back.

@stickybz I agree, for how expensive the asset is, you'd expect more support.

@MCPGNZ Which issues are currently being worked on if any? The last thing I saw you post was that you were working on OpenGL issues, whats the status with these?

4. luekio

luekio

Is it bad idea to buy this asset at this point? Seems like the dev has checked out...

Any alternatives that can handle big waves and boats?

5. Efril

Efril

It's definitely a bad idea. As to alternatives probably Suimono is the best. Of course it looks not so amazing. But it works, not lags and have very responsive developer who can help in case of any difficulties. Also note that out of box buoyancy system of Suimono is not perfect and you may have to buy something like Dynamic Water Physics also (especially if you have big ships in your game).
    You can also try Hydroform. As to me it looks more beautiful than Suimono but don't have underwater effects and seems have some technical problems. I didn't tried it myself. It would be better for you to read their forum thread.

6. emrys90

emrys90

When running my game server as headless without graphics, I get the following warnings/errors. Is there anything I can do to fix these?
    upload_2018-6-8_10-14-44.png

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Did you try to add the latest patch and disable DX9 support?

8. emrys90

emrys90

Yes, I have. It only has issues when I run the game with the command line arguments "-batchmode -nographics" for my server.

9. seanybaby2

seanybaby2

Maybe you're not using your UWS in a large game environment? My experience has been the polar opposite of simple.

The scripts are riddled with bugs. I've had to implement hot fixes several times just to get the water to render well as dig into the source code for hours. It also causes the game to crash on VR with planar reflections very frequently. Additionally, it adds generated corrupted duplicated files into the repository on occasion. This has caused our teams entire version control to crash and stop working for days at a time. It was a nightmare to resolve and remove from the project.

Lastly I just spent the last two days trying to make a build and I have 2000 people waiting for an alpha tonight. The UWS system out of the box doesn't make builds about 80% of the time for VR. I finally pinpointed the error in the source code so I can make one tonight.

I think it's pretty fair to say this it's janky as hell. But damn does it look good. Or else I wouldn't waste my time trying to get it to work.

10. ftejada

ftejada

Is there still support for this asset ???

regards

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  11. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

Not currently, and that is very disappointing considering most customers here paid an upgrade fee only a short while ago.

Efril likes this.
  12. ftejada

ftejada

Now !!! ... I am among them ... I think that Unity should intervene in this kind of concrete cases and regulate this in some way ... I am already getting tired of being left behind by the developers of assets a few months after of release your product. There is no right to this.

@Moonlit-Games-Studio I do not want to offend anyone and I apologize in advance if I'm doing it because it's not my intention, but I think it's not our fault, that you as developers, do not evaluate correctly the viability of their product and abandon it within a few months without reporting anything, and with products that have things that do not work well or fail in certain plots.

I think the most correct thing is to at least inform about what is happening. It's the minimum they should do. We are all people and I think if they have a difficult situation with your product developers or personal problems, sure that most of us would understand ... whenever you go ahead with the truth.

As it happened with Sonic Ether ... He was overwhelmed by personal problems and could not continue with his SEGI. He was an honest uncle and finally ended up doing his free assets so that the community could improve it and use it.

This does not mean that all developers must free their product, simply that it is always better to inform us and go with the truth ahead ...

@MCPGNZ how I can get the data of the position of the crests of the waves that form in the water ...??

It can be obtained because from PlayWayWater in the crests of the waves we have spray of particles that came out in these crests of the waves ...

A greetting

13. 3DSim

3DSim

Hi - I have just purchased the UWS today for a project I am working on. I had been using unity's particle FX system to render a number of marine life underwater, as well as custom bubble and particle FX these no longer seem to be working with the UWS underwater. I can see the particles above water but not below the surface. Is there a way to render Unity's inbuilt particle shaders with UWS.

14. Stickeyd

Stickeyd

I have graphical artifacts at the border of the screen while in moving. Does anyone know how to fix it?
    7e33aa7f049b27a8cf4838af69580360.png

15. ibbybn

ibbybn

It currently only works with the UWS marine snow shader which only renders under the water.
    I've been looking a bit at the shaders lately but also haven't found a better solution yet.
    Other shaders work when geometry is near behind them but not with open water.

16. EceLStyle

EceLStyle

Could anyone make ship physics work big waves? Old Playway works on big waves, but UWS not responding big waves, check demo scene, change water wind to higher value, and see barrels flying.

Why "Physics demo" do not work? Documentation says 'Breeze water profile recommended', It's funny cause if you select calm, breeze or gale, they respond same, it's not about profile. Something broken watersample code, i could not find the issue.

Note: I don't want to buy 3rd party physics library. Do not direct me there please.

physics_flying.PNG
    barrel.PNG

17. EceLStyle

EceLStyle

Ok, i figure it out, enable allow CPU FFT from Water Project Settings. And Physics start to working. No need to buy a 3rd party library.

18. recon0303

recon0303

this is disgraceful, that people buy an asset, and one that costs so much, only to be IGNORED from day 1 and have a broken product, Unity needs to get involved as this is going to make people rethink buying anything anymore, I know I have nearly STOPPED as I get sick of seeing this.. Yes there are many good developers who keep supporting paid or not, I don't care I don't mind paying for upgrades, but NOT when they are broke, and not supported........That is what we call a scam... period....I feel this person bought it to make some quick money and didn't have a clue ....so he just collects money, and ignore us...because he knows Unity does nothing....Steam had the same issue and finally they did something....Unity I suggest you do the same, before you lose more customers.....

I have supported Unity for over 9 years and assets for many, tested many, helped many assets devs etc..........I won't defend this...This is a disgrace..... That is my 2 cents....

4 months and NO SUPPORT. for us either. Since the day we bought, we had to remove from our game.....wasted a few hundred bucks for nothing...... I won't do it again from a dev I do not know... Unity start getting rid of assets THAT DO not support there base..... This is unacceptable.. from these developers and yes we know they aren't yours..but you should get involved and have a policy regarding this....the asset STORE is full of this nonsense....

DO NOT BUY, if you plan on needing support EVER, you won't get it period.....If you do not care about support ever, then , it does look great but MOST people do have issues....

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Funkeys, ftejada, Efril and 4 others like this.
  19. Lohrion

Lohrion

I agree with @recon0303. The support is non-existent, and the price tag quite high. If this behaviour is tolerated it will hinder sales on the asset store in the short term, and thereby cripple new and existing asset developers in the long term. I've already taken a step back from buying things from the store, I know of some others that did the same

Maybe we should involve a mod here to have at least some indirect channel to Unity. @hippocoder, what's your opinion on this, if I may ask?

20. Marando

Marando

upload_2018-6-24_0-16-24.png
    any one know what should I do in this situation?
    I use UWS 2.1.0 with Enviro 2.0.3
    the surface is not showing, but underwater is working

upload_2018-6-24_0-16-38.png

upload_2018-6-24_0-18-42.png
    \

21. Efril

Efril

You can report this asset through the new asset store interface. It should be removed so people would not waste money on it anymore.

recon0303 likes this.
  22. ibbybn

ibbybn

I'm using both UWS and enviro with no problem. Not sure why it can't open certain files. Delete/Reimport? Disable DX9/Only allow DX11?

23. Marando

Marando

Hi!!
    yes!!when I delete and reimport UWS, it works!!!!!!!!!!!thank you very much !

24. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

Is this plugin alive? If yes what are your plans with HDRP?

25. recon0303

recon0303

please read threads above. about support...good luck getting help. or anything for 2018..

26. ftejada

ftejada

+1

Funkeys and Napoleon_Blownapart like this.
  27. emrys90

emrys90

Does anyone know how to fix the underwater effect not being affected by lighting? Could really use some help on this. When its pitch black at night it still looks like bright day underwater.

28. mrPRAZ

mrPRAZ

It is frustrating to see no developer updates.

ftejada likes this.
  29. emrys90

emrys90

I'm having issues with fog in Enviro. It only renders the fog if I set the water camera render mode from Default to Deferred. Unfortunately, that makes the quality of the water quite horrible. Any ideas how to solve either issue?

30. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

31. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

What steps did you take to fix the error?

32. sadicus

sadicus

this thread is depressing. The only reason I purchedUnity Pro years ago was for a realistic ocean system. luckily I don't make games, but did spend mega $$$ on assets that are not supported. Ceto was our only hope.

33. Aquaminator

Aquaminator

Hello,
    my choice fell on Unity because of a realistic ocean system, too. First, I had bought Ceto and after the project was unfortunately not continued, I switched to the Playway Water System. I was so frustrated and upset at the time that there was almost no serious support. Well, as we all know, hope dies last and so I decided to upgrade to the Ultimate Water System. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be seriously developed (at least not the purchase version in the asset store) and that with the support is somehow like a Déjà-vu experience. Finally, it is enough for me with the eternal waiting and I will probably develop my own water system. A prototype already exists (not yet in Unity and also without shaders, but first I was only interested in the wave motion). This water system is programmed with Processing (Java) and is based on a modified Phillips Spectrum for more control over the waves and their direction. The example uses my own FFT routine that has not yet been heavily optimized at this moment.

Here is a Youtube link:

You are welcome to write me what you think about it. The next planned steps are the implementation in Unity with shaders. Many Thanks.

34. ftejada

ftejada

Looks great.
    If you work well for the performance, you add details like breaking waves in the bank and give a good support you will sell a lot in the store I think ... Because we are many who are not happy with the realistic water assets of Unity.

a greeting

Liminal-Ridges likes this.
  35. Stingo

Stingo

How long is it deprecated in asset store? Did I miss something?

36. sadicus

sadicus

@Aquaminator I suggest you start your own thread, I'm sure woul will have many followers.

37. Aquaminator

Aquaminator

38. skaughtx0r

skaughtx0r

This is ridiculous, they should be forced to refund everyone that purchased this BS. It was just a money grab. Its just PlayWay Water, re-sold for more money and then not supported and now deprecated.

The only reason to buy it was the promise of support and updates and they provided none.

nirvanajie, Bart_, Tommily69 and 2 others like this.
  39. Thermos

Thermos

I bought playway water two years ago, and I bought ultimate water system half years ago. The full story seems to be:

a busy developer, hand over all the rights and code to another busy developer, that charges $75.

who is the next busy developer?

Epimolophant and ftejada like this.
  40. ftejada

ftejada

Frankly the performance of the new developers seems a total and absolute scam. Depreciated ???? really??? is that I'm seeing it and it's the unfortunate

Unity should take action in cases as clear and bleeding as this. And that force the developers of the asset to reimburse all the money to customers ... It has not been a year I think ... And since they stopped informing the developers in the forum only a few months.

Does anyone know of any way to file a formal complaint for this case to Unity? At least so that something similar does not happen again with other developers of assets

regards

41. Epimolophant

Epimolophant

That patch is no longer fixing the issue for Unity 2018. Anyone got a solution?

EDIT: I went back all the way to 2017.2 and it still does not build. Gives the same error on Blur.cs line 44. Anyone got luck building a standalone version? What version of Unity are you using?

EDIT2: I re-download the asset on a new clean project on Unity 5.6.6f2 and had the same error on the standalone build. I'm kinda worried here, been working for some time on the editor and just found out my project can't build. Did anyone manage to get a build for PC working? What Unity version did you use? Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  42. Stickeyd

Stickeyd

I am perfectly building the UWS with version Unity 2017.4.5.f1. I don't remember for sure if I applied the hotfix though

43. Danirey

Danirey

Hi Guys,

Please, post the last version of UWS and Unity you are working on without problems. Since this is a dead product for now, the only chance is to use it in his last stable version. But it is a bit hard to know which one is. If anyone knows a working combination, it would be awesome to know it.

Thanks a lot people!!

44. skaughtx0r

skaughtx0r

I currently have UWS 2.0.0 + hotfix b3 (not latest) working in 2018.2.0f1, it has several random tweaks + I have some shader fixes for opengl / metal / vulkan I've been trying to sort out over the past few weeks, I'm only using forward rendering path. I think deferred works on Windows, but it doesn't work right on anything else. I may try grabbing the latest version 2.1.0 and latest hotfix and see if I can get that working. Metal / Vulkan had some weird issues with the depth buffer being inverted, neither seem to support tesselation correctly, so I just disabled that for them also. Mac OSX doesn't support geometry shaders, so the GPU particle effects don't work. I pretty much just disabled the shader model 5 features for opengl, metal, and vulkan.

ftejada and Danirey like this.
  45. Danirey

Danirey

Hey, thanks a lot for the info. Very useful. Do you guys know how to set up correctly buoyancy with the last releases? Is it working ok? I see the demo scenes too laggy with physics.

I'm using the last versión with the last hotfix and the very last oficial Unity reléase. It Works without problems i think. But since we don't have developers to ask to, if you guys could share this kind of stuff it would be awesome.

Thanks a lot again!

46. b1gry4n

b1gry4n

can anyone pm me a link to the hotfix. I am not getting any response from the dev.

47. Danirey

Danirey

HOTFIX DOWNLOADS: http://goo.gl/nBx7dS

It is in the first page of this thread. It will ask for the invoice number.

Cheers!

48. seanybaby2

seanybaby2

Strange, I'm now getting the same error as well on 2017.3. The hotfix seemed to stop working on it but I haven't updated to a newer version of Unity. This is a really odd issue. It would be great if the creator started supporting this asset again and it became un deprecated. It's visually the best water asset on the store.

49. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

ftejada and hippocoder like this.
  50. snacktime

snacktime

Ya pretty bad form to just disappear. Hell I still answer emails on open source projects that I deprecated years ago, and put it in bold on the repo.

That said completely not surprised. The market for a premium priced water asset is a niche. Sure it's better, but most people don't need better, they can get by with something like Aquas. Complete fail at understanding business.

nirvanajie, recon0303 and hippocoder like this.