Search Unity

1. Full schedule for #UniteBerlin is now available! Featuring talks on our roadmap, hands-on labs and much more! Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.1 has arrived! Read about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Scriptable Render Pipeline improvements, Texture Mipmap Streaming, and more! Check out what we have in store for you in the 2018.2 Beta.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Water System - The most advanced realtime water simulation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Moonlit-Games-Studio, Sep 7, 2017.

1. isar

isar

Damn UWS keeps breaking and overrides every change we make to prevent a ship to capsize. UWS is a smoke screen. Stay away.

2. DaanPol

DaanPol

We had the same problem, fixed it by making the hull manifold. If you use the polygon reduction for your water collider it tends to make holes. If you use a closed mesh this does not happen.

Immediately discrediting the maker of this plugin because you don't understand it sounds like the thing a sh*tty person does.

3. GXMark

GXMark

Still not sorted out
    Hot fix dont work
    Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Dynamic/WaterForce.cs(22,38): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `WaterForceData' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

4. Ishizuke

Ishizuke

Hello. Studying this water system now from the start. Created grid of 64 cubes and tryed to make them interact the water (added WaterInteractive component). On game start follwing error messages appeared:

RenderTexture.Create failed: requested size is too large.
    UnityEngine.RenderTexture:Create()
    UltimateWater.Internal.TextureUtility:CreateRenderTexture(RenderTextureDesc) (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Utilities/TextureUtility.cs:222)
    UltimateWater.WaterSimulationArea:CreateTextures() (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Dynamic/WaterSimulationArea.cs:631)
    UltimateWater.WaterSimulationArea:OnEnable() (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Dynamic/WaterSimulationArea.cs:180)

UnityEngine.Graphics:SetRenderTarget(RenderTexture)
    UltimateWater.Internal.TextureUtility:Clear(RenderTexture, Color, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Utilities/TextureUtility.cs:128)
    UltimateWater.WaterSimulationArea:CreateTextures() (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Dynamic/WaterSimulationArea.cs:633)
    UltimateWater.WaterSimulationArea:OnEnable() (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Dynamic/WaterSimulationArea.cs:180)

UnityEngine.Graphics:SetRenderTarget(RenderTexture)
    UltimateWater.Internal.TextureUtility:Clear(RenderTexture, Color, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Utilities/TextureUtility.cs:128)
    UltimateWater.WaterSimulationArea:CreateTextures() (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Dynamic/WaterSimulationArea.cs:633)

ArgumentException: Graphics.SetRenderTarget called with bad depth RenderBuffer.
    UnityEngine.Graphics.SetRenderTargetImpl (RenderBuffer colorBuffer, RenderBuffer depthBuffer, Int32 mipLevel, CubemapFace face, Int32 depthSlice) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Graphics.cs:215)
    UnityEngine.Graphics.SetRenderTargetImpl (UnityEngine.RenderTexture rt, Int32 mipLevel, CubemapFace face, Int32 depthSlice) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Graphics.cs:220)
    UnityEngine.Graphics.SetRenderTarget (UnityEngine.RenderTexture rt) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Graphics.cs:236)
    UltimateWater.Internal.TextureUtility.Clear (UnityEngine.RenderTexture texture, Color color, Boolean clearDepth, Boolean clearColor) (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Utilities/TextureUtility.cs:128)
    UltimateWater.WaterSimulationArea.CreateTextures () (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Dynamic/WaterSimulationArea.cs:633)
    UltimateWater.WaterSimulationArea.OnEnable () (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Dynamic/WaterSimulationArea.cs:180)

5. Ishizuke

Ishizuke

WaterPhysics script added to cube produce big number of exception each time I try to inspect this component.

UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.PropertyField (UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUIContent label, Boolean includeChildren, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:8109)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.PropertyField (UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, Boolean includeChildren, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:8103)
    UltimateWater.Editors.WaterEditorBase.PropertyField (System.String name) (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Editor/WaterEditorBase.cs:320)
    UltimateWater.Editors.WaterPhysicsEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/Editor/WaterPhysicsEditor.cs:29)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1253)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

6. HP

HP

I can't get the fog of Enviro 2.0.3 working with UWS 2.1.0.

UWS Shader Set "Ocean (Fully featured)", no reflection probe or light probe.
    Enviro Profile 2.0, weather preset "Foggy".

Is there any option I missed?

7. isar

isar

He has had MONTHS to fix the issues with this plugin. I dont know about you but for almost 200$ for an asset, I expect stuff to work.

8. emrys90

emrys90

@MCPGNZ
    I'm having an issue where in fresh clones of the project I am unable to open scenes that have UWS in them. Unity just freezes trying to load those scenes when I attempt to open them in the editor. If I remove UWS from the clone project then the scene will open without issue. These scenes also have Vegetation Studio for grass, CTS for a painted Unity terrain, and Enviro for time of day. Not sure if there's any conflicts going on between any of these assets and yours, but my problems didn't start until after adding UWS to the project. Do you have any ideas what could be going on?

9. Ishizuke

Ishizuke

Hotfix on main paige solves some of the problems. But customer support in general is obviously bad, as PlayWay was. The version on asset store is from 10 of January. Now it's almost May, but author did not applyed hotfix to main download page. So, after downloading asset, customer immediately encounter bugs, go to forum and find two thing:

1. Author want all bugs to be reported on github, not in forum. I don't use github and don't want to figure out where to report.

2. There is a hotfix exists, which need to be downloaded separately and problematically, searching invoice number in asset store, loosing time.

PlayWay had bad reputation because of bugs and bad support. UWS is technically more advanced and seems to work more stable but support problems are the same.

10. Eraxion

Eraxion

We have 50 mb outputlogs on our latest builds :

NullReferenceException
    at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Material:Internal_CreateWithShader (UnityEngine.Material,UnityEngine.Shader)
    at UnityEngine.Material..ctor (UnityEngine.Shader shader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at UltimateWater.Internal.Blur.get_BlurMaterial () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at UltimateWater.WaterSubsurfaceScattering.OnWaterRender (UltimateWater.WaterCamera waterCamera) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at UltimateWater.Water.OnWaterRender (UltimateWater.WaterCamera waterCamera) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at UltimateWater.WaterRenderer.RenderEffects (UltimateWater.WaterCamera waterCamera) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at UltimateWater.WaterCamera.RenderWaterEffects () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at UltimateWater.WaterCamera.OnPreCull () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

What exactly is the problem?

11. Eraxion

Eraxion

You have to switch to the deferred rendering queue in the water cam if you want the water to reflect the fog.

12. Efril

Efril

@MCPGNZ, I started to migrate from old PlayWay water system to UWS and need an advice.
    I found that WaterPhysics script requires Rigidbody attached to the same game object now. I think it is a bad design decision because I have only one Rigidbody but multiple Water Physics (for more realistic sinking) per ship. In PlayWay water it worked fine but in UWS few important questions arose:
    • Should I remove Rigidbody of root game object of the ship?
      • If so how should I move ship now? Which Rigidbodies should I apply force to?
      • How can I keep ship speed between turns (since game is turn based)?
      • Should I distribute mass of the old Rigidbody between these new Rigidbodies in according to their collider volumes?
    • Can I use FastWaterPhysics instead of WaterPhysics? It is not listed in documentation and I was unable to successfully use it in test scene.
    • Should I try WaterFloat? Will it work fine with large ships?
    I also have the same issue as @Ishizuke - many NullReferenceExceptions in UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.PropertyField but hope it is fixed in latest beta.
    Thanks in advance.

13. Ishizuke

Ishizuke

I need to know the height of the water in specified xz-positionto implement custom floating. WaterPhysics produces choppy displacement, which follows water surface inacurately with some delay.

14. HP

HP

Thanks, I did not think about the water camera script. But it makes sense, as it is a image effect issue.
    Now it works. :)

15. Efril

Efril

@MCPGNZ, another issue I faced you can see on the screenshot below:
    TroubledWaters_LookAtShipCamera_2018-04-26-17-04-19_1024x768.png
    You can see completely cloudy sky and sun reflections on the water at the same time. I'm using TENKOKU Dynamic Sky for nicely looking sky and weather. Can it be fixed with playing with settings of UWS? Or I should contact author of TENKOKU Dynamic Sky for support?

16. Ishizuke

Ishizuke

Water works when inposrted into clean project and hotfix applied. But when I tried to imposrt UWS in my main work project, it shows color flickring on distant water. This is happening in all scenes -created by me and original demos. How can I fix this?

ColorFlickering.jpg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  17. Ishizuke

Ishizuke

I found that water support only gamma color space. Lenear color space produce color flickering shown in picture above. But the problem is what some of our assets require linear color space, so mutually exclusive with UWS.

18. Efril

Efril

This is not true as I have UWS (and had previous PlayWay water) working in my project which have linear color space. Probably it depends on Water script configuration. Maybe shader set, not sure.

19. fleet15

fleet15

I'm getting a similar issue when using the Water.GetHeightAt method. After checking the problem with a grid of wave samples it is looking like the samples are smooth but are definitely not correct for rendered ocean at the gale ocean setting.

20. vahag_im

vahag_im

Hello,

Is it possible to create water stream with this asset (e.g. water cannon).

Thank you.

21. Ishizuke

Ishizuke

The water is not affected by fog, but we need it. Si it possible to add fog to water?

22. Ttravi

Ttravi

It depends on which fog you are using. I bought Azure[Sky] because their fog works with UWS.

23. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I've just chucked this in a project and started playing around with it. It's great to have large bodies of water that both look nice and can be interacted with. Interactivity in particular makes our world feel so much more responsive.

A couple of questions.
    First, how is the "radius" setting on the "Water Force" component supposed to work? It's undocumented and doesn't appear do to anything as far as I can tell.

I've got a hovercraft held up by a few discreet thrusters. So, what I'd ideally like to do is have a narrow, sharp effect on the water at very low altitude, and have it get broader and shallower as altitude increases. I was hoping that the "radius" would let me do that - increase radius and decrease force to get a broader, shallower effect on the water.

Second, when the camera rotates some water effects seem to lag behind. Can this be avoided? This is particularly noticeable with the Water Force when orbiting the camera around the vehicle, the effected areas of the water surface appear to move depending on the camera's rotation speed and direction.

24. Efril

Efril

Is anyone was able to contact authors via support website and get meaningful support last time? They seems to be not very interested in this asset and visiting forum rarely.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  25. AndroidMusic

AndroidMusic

Which version of Unity is best suited to work with UWS?

26. Zante

Zante

The water isn't showing in my build sadly. : [

Unity 2017.4.2f2

Edit: Tried with hotfix found on GitHub, and in a clean project, same issue. The water does not render at all in a windows build.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  27. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Mine was doing that last week, it turns out that the detail level kept getting set to the minimum which would make it disappear.

28. DaanPol

DaanPol

Hey Guys,

Me and my team have been working on a simulator to mimic the operation of our boats. I wanted a performant, as close to real simulator as I could get that allowed us to go from surface => submerged mode as well.

We implemented;

-NWH Coding's Dynamic Water Physics for the amazing buoyancy model.

-Hendrik Haupt's Enviro - Sky and Weather for the very fast but very beautiful clouds.

These systems were both very easy to integrate and UWS worked straight out of the box with these. The results are pretty amazing:

sim_1.jpg
    sim_3.jpg
    sim_2.jpg
    The sky actually moves and morphs very realistic, the performance hit in VR is minimal! The bouyancy model is so precise in combination with UWS that we can actually try out different weight distributions in the boat and immediately see the results. We are constructing a new type of Sub at the moment and found out that we need to get the weight distribution slightly different to get a better behaving boat in high waves.

This simulator allows us to do testing way more efficient now. We are developing some underwater things that can take weeks to trial underwater and now we can test a new concept within a couple of hours in the sim. I never expected it to work that well...

So a big thank you is in order to the UWS team for making such a great tool!

By the way, if you need some help in getting the underwater stuff to render even better, let me know! We also did some custom code on morphing realistically between above/underwater sound when close to the surface. We also found some pretty big performance gains as well.

29. snoops3d

snoops3d

Hello
    Firstly I love this plugin, I have been using it for a few weeks now and its amazing!!.
    I have a question Im working on a game where there is water at multiple heights and I want to add water sim to those heights so that I can have interactivity and physics at those heights.. but when i add the water sim area it seems fixed to one specific height. How can I set up water physics at multiple heights?

30. AurimasBlazulionis

AurimasBlazulionis

Hey, does the system work fine on unity 2018.1 or 2018.2 beta? It would be great to know.

31. Ascensi

Ascensi

Where can I upgrade? there is no option that I can see on the store.

32. skaughtx0r

skaughtx0r

Hey @DaanPol,

I'd be interested in the performance gains that you found. Also, your screenshots look pretty sweet, now I'm kind of wishing I bought the Enviro asset instead of TimeOfDay.

33. Stickeyd

Stickeyd

Is it possible to change foam texture? Trying to achieve stylized foam.

34. Stickeyd

Stickeyd

On high waves, my ship does not "conquer" high waves (I mean does not go up on them) but rather goes through them. That looks really strange and it should not behave like that at all. How can I fix that?

Last edited: May 22, 2018 at 12:40 PM
  35. Ttravi

Ttravi

UWS solution for physics is very basic. For a more accurate interaction maybe Dynamic Water Physics, available on Asset Store, would be more suited for your needs:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/physics/dynamic-water-physics-89928

36. Stickeyd

Stickeyd

It doesn't look nearly as good as UWS. And I already use UWS for my stylization and many other things. I need to fix it using UWS somehow. Would be glad to hear the answer of the developer

Last edited: May 22, 2018 at 1:41 PM
  37. Ttravi

Ttravi

What I heard is that this package works together with other ocean systems. So you can use the looks of UWS and the physics of DWP. Realistic Water Physics is another option and they specify that it works together with Realistic Water Physics:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/physics/realistic-water-physics-3-107126

I think it will be difficult to get an improvement on the physics aspect from UWS developers since they are burried with graphical bugs to fix and stopped answering questions on this topic a month ago.

38. skaughtx0r

skaughtx0r

I'm using Dynamic Water Physics with UWS, however if you don't want to pay for another asset. The code in this tutorial does a really good job at simulating boat physics (also can work with UWS): http://www.habrador.com/tutorials/unity-boat-tutorial/

Last edited: May 22, 2018 at 10:00 PM
    Ttravi likes this.
  39. seanybaby2

seanybaby2

I'm getting these two errors a lot and it is causing the game to crash. Any idea how to resolve this?

Code (CSharp):
    1. Screen position out of view frustum (screen pos 64.000000, 0.000000, 2000.000000) (Camera rect 0 0 64 64)
    2. UnityEngine.Camera:RenderWithShader(Shader, String)
    3. UltimateWater.WaterSubsurfaceScattering:OnWaterRender(WaterCamera) (at D:\Development\VBG\Virtual Battlegrounds\Assets\ThirdPartyAssets\Ultimate Water System\Scripts\WaterSubsurfaceScattering.cs:125)
    4. UltimateWater.Water:OnWaterRender(WaterCamera) (at D:\Development\VBG\Virtual Battlegrounds\Assets\ThirdPartyAssets\Ultimate Water System\Scripts\Water.cs:469)
    5. UltimateWater.WaterRenderer:RenderEffects(WaterCamera) (at D:\Development\VBG\Virtual Battlegrounds\Assets\ThirdPartyAssets\Ultimate Water System\Scripts\WaterRenderer.cs:71)
    6. UltimateWater.WaterCamera:RenderWaterEffects() (at D:\Development\VBG\Virtual Battlegrounds\Assets\ThirdPartyAssets\Ultimate Water System\Scripts\WaterCamera.cs:839)
    7. UltimateWater.WaterCamera:OnPreCull() (at D:\Development\VBG\Virtual Battlegrounds\Assets\ThirdPartyAssets\Ultimate Water System\Scripts\WaterCamera.cs:540)
    9. [C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Camera/Camera.cpp line 3124]
    10. (Filename: D:/Development/VBG/Virtual Battlegrounds/Assets/ThirdPartyAssets/Ultimate Water System/Scripts/WaterSubsurfaceScattering.cs Line: 125)
    12. Screen position out of view frustum (screen pos 0.000000, 0.000000, 1000.000000) (Camera rect 0 0 256 256)
    13. UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    14. UltimateWater.PlanarReflection:RenderReflection(Camera, Camera) (at D:\Development\VBG\Virtual Battlegrounds\Assets\ThirdPartyAssets\Ultimate Water System\Scripts\PlanarReflection.cs:225)
    15. UltimateWater.PlanarReflection:OnWaterRender(WaterCamera) (at D:\Development\VBG\Virtual Battlegrounds\Assets\ThirdPartyAssets\Ultimate Water System\Scripts\PlanarReflection.cs:151)
    16. UltimateWater.Water:OnWaterRender(WaterCamera) (at D:\Development\VBG\Virtual Battlegrounds\Assets\ThirdPartyAssets\Ultimate Water System\Scripts\Water.cs:469)
    17. UltimateWater.WaterRenderer:RenderEffects(WaterCamera) (at D:\Development\VBG\Virtual Battlegrounds\Assets\ThirdPartyAssets\Ultimate Water System\Scripts\WaterRenderer.cs:71)
    18. UltimateWater.WaterCamera:RenderWaterEffects() (at D:\Development\VBG\Virtual Battlegrounds\Assets\ThirdPartyAssets\Ultimate Water System\Scripts\WaterCamera.cs:839)
    19. UltimateWater.WaterCamera:OnPreCull() (at D:\Development\VBG\Virtual Battlegrounds\Assets\ThirdPartyAssets\Ultimate Water System\Scripts\WaterCamera.cs:540)

40. sadicus

sadicus

Will someone please post a simple working "Island demo"?
    nothing fancy just ocean + underwater effects. (like the one in PlayWay)

41. thestrongskye

thestrongskye

Hi everyone ! I have a question I use Time Of Day as Day/Night cycle system and when is sunset an Aquas water changes the color to nice warm "orange". When I use UWS there aren't any reflections like that, someone knows how to make similar effect ? Thank you.

42. Aress28

Aress28

hi im getting build error in unity Unity 2018.1.1f1 (64-bit) when i try to Build my game :

Shader error in 'UltimateWater/Variations/Water Volume _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _WATER_RECEIVE_SHADOWS _WATER_REFRACTION _WATER_OVERLAYS _WAVES_FFT _PROJECTION_GRID': invalid subscript 'vec' at Assets/Ultimate Water System/Shaders/Includes/UnityStandardShadow.cginc(120) (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_PASS_SHADOWCASTER SHADOWS_CUBE _WATER_OVERLAYS _WAVES_FFT
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING

EDIT : Ok its fixed now with HOTFIX..

And i cant see water when i Build Game..Any one know how to fix it?

I now Have Water after Build BUT ITS looks different than in PlayMode anyone know how to FIX it?To have same water like in PlayMode?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2018 at 10:35 PM
  43. Fraconte

Fraconte

The included WaterPhysics.cs works better than that with just default settings, provided you set the proper balance between collider size and rigidbody mass: in this case it seems you have too much mass.
    If you check the "Use improved drag and flow forces" and provide the right mesh collider, you can have more accurate results like those in the habrador website mentioned above. Just set the Drag Coefficient and Flow Intensity to 0.

44. Fraconte

Fraconte

Have you tried rebuilding the water shaders? From Water edit the Shader Set and apply changes.

45. Aress28

Aress28

I tried rebuild them now and still water after Build Game looks bad...

Last edited: May 24, 2018 at 7:17 AM