Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate VFX - Massive Visual Effects and Particle System Collection

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MirzaBeig, Aug 22, 2015.

1. AlcyonGames

AlcyonGames

Thanks for the fast response!
    I'm asking if its possible to directly distort the image without duplicating what's behind and then distorting that duplicate image. Like this!:

Your shader distorts the image but keeps what's behind unaffected so you can see what's being distorted behind like this:

So, as you can see the difference is that in yours the effect applies over a duplicate of what's behind and you can see both, the distorted image and behind the unaffected image (wow is really hard for me to explain this haha, sorry, I'm not english speaker). And in the example that I mentioned above the distortion effect fully affects the image and you can't see how it look without being distorted.

I'm asking this because I would love to have an effect that does this. I want to re-create a black hole distortion, and so far with the distortion shader I have good results, but not as inteded because it doesn't fully distort the image. Take a look:

I think I know how to explain it. -> I don't want to see through the distortion and be able to see how it look non-distorted behind the effect, I want the distortion to be more or less powerful based on the opacity, but not be able to see through,
    to achieve this:

Maybe there is a workaround that I'm not seeing.

[EDIT]: I just noticed that in your shader there is a slider bar for opacity that goes from 0 to 2. Default is 1, so that's why you could see through the distortion, is that how it works? and then there is a slider labeled "distortion" that in your prefabs goes from 0, 10, 100... ...up to 1000, is there a way to control that via the particle shuriken as the alpha?. But anyways, is there a way to achieve what you can see in the image above, the black hole? I'm using the default particle sprite as distortion, maybe another sprite could achieve this effect.

Thank your for the fast support by the way! ;)

[EDIT]: I reached something similar using a simple circle fading from white to black in photoshop, but the effect is resolution dependant. When I use the 16:9 aspect ratio in my game view (because the window is little it looks like this:

But if I force always 1920 x 1080 the effect is reduced like this:

Thanks again, I hope you could answer the whole thread post haha. Sorry for it being so long! I still want to know if I can achieve full distortion without transparency.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  2. AlcyonGames

AlcyonGames

I wanto to achieve something like this:

3. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Aha, I get what you're trying to do. The reason you see some of the undistorted, original background through the distortion is because of the mixing/opacity/alpha (whatever you want to call it).

The alpha of the particle texture on the distortion material (fed to the shader) determines the opacity, whereas the normal values of the distortion texture determines the actual amount of distortion.

The distortion slider simply multiplies that distortion, whereas the opacity slider simply multiplies the opacity of the input particle texture.

To get the effect you want, you'll want to use a solid (hard alpha only, no fading!) texture for the particle, and a heavily distorted normal map for the second texture slot. I'll experiment with this soon, I just need to sort out some stuff first.

I think for the future it would be cool if I could add another shader that could also recieve custom input using the new data stream module in Shuriken to be able to control the distortion per-particle by passing in some arbitrary data using the module (right now it's per-material, hence per-system).

AlcyonGames likes this.
  4. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Here we go!

One thing I didn't show is that rotation works just fine, too. In the video overlapping looks weird because they are on the same plane, so it would look better if I had bothered to adjust the Y-offset of one over the other.

upload_2017-9-15_21-43-30.png

upload_2017-9-15_21-42-27.png

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    AlcyonGames likes this.
  5. AlcyonGames

AlcyonGames

OMG!, you just explained and uploaded an entire video!!!, as soon as I opened youtube I saw your vid and ran towards this forum. Mister, you deserve everything. THANKS!

Best support ever by the way, congrats. You really deserve the price of this asset. I can't thank you enough. Many thanks!

hopeful likes this.
  6. AlcyonGames

AlcyonGames

So are you going to upload the new shader or is it one that already is in the asset?.
    And the last question. How did you create the normal map? via grayscale with unity?. Don't know how to create them, (I watched the video). THANKS!

7. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

It's using the included shader that's in the latest version on the asset store, so if you were already using v2.7.1 and up, you'll have it in your folder. :)

I've uploaded the package which has the prefab (under the folder "_Tests"), along with the alpha texture mask and the normal map using the original Photoshop PSD. As long as you haven't moved any of the UVFX folders around, it should just work.

> Download Prefab!

8. AlcyonGames

AlcyonGames

Thanks again!!. You're awesome! ;)

MirzaBeig and hopeful like this.
  9. ocholicious

ocholicious

@MirzaBeig
    Hey again! I finally got around to testing some of the things you suggested for attracting particles. When I used your file (Magnet.unitypackage), I was able to get the attractor to work with the particles, no problem! But, I'm trying to recreate a 2D scene and try the same setup but the particles aren't being attracted to an object with the attractor script. I think I might be doing something wrong? I tried tweaking a bunch of the parameters, but still haven't been able to figure it out.

10. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

@ocholicious

Hey there! Can you send me that scene for testing? Just the scene file should be enough.

11. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

@ocholicious

Just tested out your scene! The particles and the attractor are working in the example you sent me. In the screenshot you posted, while the scene looks okay in 2D, your particle system is set up as a default 3D cone, meaning it's ejecting the particles into Z-space outside the range of the attractor. You can set the range on the attractor to infinity to test it out and/or switch the shape to a sphere with a Z of 0 so it only emits in 2D XY.

It doesn't really affect the specific setup you have, but I did notice some erratic behaviour with the radius values being scaled when they're parented to a canvas and have rect transforms. I'll need to look into this a bit later when I have time, but the most straightforward solution would be to move everything into regular, non-canvas objects in the hierarchy and re-position them where the target canvas objects would be.

EDIT: Just figured out the second issue as well. It's as simple as changing the two instances of the line, "float uniformTransformScale = transform.lossyScale.x" to "float uniformTransformScale = 1.0f" and the same for changing "radius * transform.lossyScale.x" to multiply by 1.0f.

I was still using the actual transform values rather than the scale on the rect transform so even though it would work correctly, it would show the wrong scales, making it difficult to configure visually.

Just to clarify, you can still proceed using the setup you have now. Just be wary of scaling the main, arrival, and arrived radii or change the lines to what I posted above because otherwise they may show incorrect ranges (the green, yellow, and red wire sphere gizmos). I'll try having a proper fix using rect transforms in the next update. :)

The specific lines are 76 and 121 in AttractionParticleAffector.cs, and line 59 in ParticleAffector.cs.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    ocholicious likes this.
  12. AlcyonGames

AlcyonGames

Hi!, do you have any plans on making a tutorial on your attractor and/or magnets functionality for your asset? I want to learn how to use them! :)
    THANKS!

13. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Yes, eventually. But I've been pretty busy for a while now working on other things, so it's hard to find the time to really make some quality tutorials. There's an old video that's still mostly relevant you can watch until then:

Unity may be posting something I wrote in their blog that goes into a summary of starting up with Ultimate VFX as well.

I know this isn't ideal, and I want to re-vamp the documentation as well. Sorry about that!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    AlcyonGames likes this.
  14. ocholicious

ocholicious

@MirzaBeig

Ah! Thank you! I also figured out what was causing some additional confusion was that in the scene preview it wasn't attracting the particles, but in play mode it did. When it didn't show up in the preview, I instantly assumed it wasn't working in play mode.

MirzaBeig likes this.
  15. AlcyonGames

AlcyonGames

Thanks for your time, don't worry! ;)

16. sybere

sybere

HI,

Is there a way to use your mouse follow with Xbox one controller? Maybe any idea? I can't figouring out how to ding this :/

17. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

@sybere

Hi!

This isn't something specific to UVFX, but yes, it's easily possible to use an Xbox One controller to move the mouse. It depends on what API you're using, but you would simply move a game object (acting as a mouse) by some increment based on values read in from either the thumbstick and/or d-pad.

The mouse follow script included in the package is more or less just an example to demonstrate some effects.

18. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi all!

Ultimate VFX is about to get another major update! Some great texture updates and new prefabs abound, of course.
    This update focuses on more realistic smoke and fire effects, which can also be adapted for liquids.

Here are a few screenshots featuring a waterfall, explosions, fire, and smokey goodness (split into two posts, because there's a five image limit upload per post)!

upload_2017-10-9_19-48-3.png

upload_2017-10-9_19-49-42.png

upload_2017-10-9_19-50-12.png

upload_2017-10-9_19-50-56.png

upload_2017-10-9_19-51-19.png

rrahim and hopeful like this.
  19. hopeful

hopeful

Lovely! :D

MirzaBeig likes this.
  20. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

upload_2017-10-9_19-53-42.png

upload_2017-10-9_19-52-59.png

upload_2017-10-9_19-54-58.png

Attached Files:

21. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Try out the latest demo!

> http://www.mirzabeig.com/products/ultimate-vfx/demos/

This video shows off the newest additions, as well as the texture updates:

The old hearts were meant to be replaced, but I never got around to doing that until yesterday. Now they're in the "hand painted" (mouse painted) style rather than ugly flat shapes.

upload_2017-10-9_20-3-17.png

I've already pushed the update to the store, so it should be live within a week or two.

EDIT: LOL. Scratch that. Update is live NOW! Seems like it was approved really fast.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  22. lightmont

lightmont

@MirzaBeig
    Thanks for Ultimate VFX, it's really a great and well polished asset!

We just imported Ultimate VFX 3.0 in a new empty project, and it gives an error regarding a script named GlobalFog which extends PostEffectBase. They are scripts included the Unity package "Legacy Image Effects".

To solve the exception we either delete GlobalFog, or we import the Legacy Image Effects package. It seems GlobalFog is being used on the camera object in each demo scene of Ultimate VFX.

What should we do? Should we just need to import the Unity "Legacy Image Effect" asset?
    Thanks!

23. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

@lightmont

Hello! There shouldn't be any errors, but you may receive some harmless warnings about two missing scripts on the demo scene cameras which are related to post-processing effects. There's a small note at the end of description on the store page about replicating the look of the promo media (screenshots, videos).

> Post-Processing Stack (Official Asset Store Link)
    > Global Fog (Official Asset Store Link - Part of the Legacy Image Effects)

If you'd like to have the exact same look as what you see in the latest videos I've posted, you'll need to have the Post-Processing Stack and Global Fog image effect (both free by Unity), which you can download from asset store directly, or... very conveniently through this link which has the stack and the isolated image effect:

> Post-Processing Stack + Global Fog (Google Drive)

You can import the post-processing stack at any time, but I think if you want Global Fog to link correctly you'll need to have it in your project before importing Ultimate VFX. I've attached the image effect in case you want to download the stack from the store, and then only import the image effect separately. It's the same as just using the second link which includes both.

I've also added a note for this on the front page since I understand this can be confusing.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: I just checked the store package and once again it seems the uploader tool included files that were NOT supposed to be part of the download for all users. I'm really sorry about this, since it does in fact produce an error like you mentioned. The solution is the same, however. If you import the global fog .unitypackage attached to this post it should fix it, or you can delete the Standard Assets folder that was part of the import.

I've already pushed an update, and I'm hoping it will be approved as quickly as the last one.

EDIT 2: Update is live now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    lightmont and hopeful like this.
  24. DrInternet

DrInternet

Hello,

I've a problem with downloading the Ultimate VFX (v3.0). Although the file is named Ultimate "VFX v30.unitypackage", it still has the same size as version 2.7 ( 787 863 589 bytes) and there is no new files after import. I'm using Unity 5. I have no idea whether its some new feature and version 3.0 is just for Unity 2017, or there was some mistake during upload, or maybe servers are going crazy.

Kind regards,
    Dr Internet

25. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi DrInternet (great name, by the way!),

v3.0 is for Unity 2017.1.1 and up only, so using an older version will give you some previous version compatable with whichever version I used for uploading at the time, such as UVFX v2.7.3 or older.

For reference, here are the version bindings:

upload_2017-10-12_15-19-0.png

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  26. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hi Mirza,

Does it work with 2017.2.0f3? Should I make an update now or is there another ultimate vfx update in range soon?

Thanks. The new stuff looks great as always. :)

27. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

@Firlefanz73

Hi! I haven't updated to 2017.2 yet because of some other bugs (not related to particles), but it should work as I'm not aware of any breaking changes and I've tested the package with the 2017.3 beta. I'd recommend testing it before updating any major projects.

hopeful and Firlefanz73 like this.
  28. LastMonopoly

LastMonopoly

Hi Mirza,

Where can I find animated menu scene mentioned
    Really need your help here.

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 8.49.47 AM.png

29. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

@LastMonopoly

Hey there! The video shows a very old version of Inferno VFX (my free package on the store). I don't have that version with the animated menu as I removed it long ago while cleaning up the hierarchy for the project.

If you have Ultimate VFX, you can check out the XP Titles demo scene which has similar effects for backdrops.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  30. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Update!

Force affectors have finally received some much needed written documentation.

As of the next update, they will be known as "force fields" rather than the incorrect term, "force affectors". The old affector scripts will remain for backwards compatibility, but starting with the new update you should start to use the newer components.

Large.png

I'm about to launch the force field components as an entirely new product. The good news for Ultimate VFX users is that it's included (and will be in the future as well - along with updates).

> Particle Force Fields Documentation

A new demo is also available for download to test out some of new force field components. The demo is only for Windows and Android, but the components are compatible with all platforms that Unity supports, including consoles.

upload_2017-10-19_20-27-48.png

> Particle Force Fields Demo (WINDOWS)

> Particle Force Fields Demo (ANDROID)

I don't want to throw up too many screenshots, but I've also re-worked the realistic fire textures for higher resolution and made improvements to the explosions, along with new prefabs for Action VFX.

ex.png

I don't know when I can push this update to the store, but it's on its way! :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    hopeful likes this.
  31. hopeful

hopeful

I really love the high res FX! Sure, depending on an application, a person might have to scale it down for efficiency. But when you can use the larger textures and more particles, it's beautiful. :)

MirzaBeig likes this.
  32. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello Mirza,

my game has a very large procedural generated landscape.

I have a large scene with a lot of firebasins and torches in it. What would be better looking and more important better for Performance:

Attach the prefab to each firebasin and torch
    pf_vfx-ult_demo_psys_loop_fireDance
    and do not destroy it anymore. Perhaps enable and disable it for a higher distance?

Or instiantiate in an update method (maybe lateupdate) with a destroy time and instantiate again each 4 seconds if near?

Is there something for particles like LOD (Level of Detail) for meshes? Or some possibility to have them running more perfomant from a greater distance? That would be great :)

33. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

34. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

I changed my torches, they should only spawn one time a spawner, not every few Frames a particle.

So I call for every torch this Code:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public void AddSpawner (Transform parent, GameObject prefab, Vector3 position)
    2.     {
    3.         try {
    4.             prefab.SetActive (true);
    5.             GameObject newParticleSystem;
    6.             newParticleSystem = Instantiate (
    7.                 prefab,
    8.                 position,
    9.                 Quaternion.identity,
    10.                 parent
    11.             ) as GameObject;
    12.             newParticleSystem.isStatic = true;
    13.             // do I need this?
    14.             newParticleSystem.GetComponent<ParticleSystem>().Play();
    15.         }
    16.         catch (System.Exception ex) {
    17.             Debug.LogError ("Particle Gameobject Instantiate Add Error: " + ex.ToString());
    18.         }  
    19.     }
    I currently use your:
    pf_vfx-ult_demo_psys_loop_fireDance

When I add this one directly in the Scene (drag in inpector), it "burns" forever.

But when I add it with my script for maybe 10 torches, I see it only for a second.
    But sometimes 2 show longer, and one of them very long. All others "die" after a very short Moment.

What am I doing wrong?

35. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

It should be as straightforward as instantiating into the scene. You have a lot of code there that I'm not sure is needed, like the try-catch block, setting the game object to static, and playing the system.

Have you tried just the minimum required? Might help isolate the problem!

36. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Thanks for the hint.

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public void AddSpawner (Transform parent, GameObject prefab, Vector3 position)
    2.     {
    3.         Instantiate (
    4.             prefab,
    5.             position,
    6.             Quaternion.identity,
    7.             parent
    8.         );
    9.     }
    Same Problem. I thought it might be something in the script or particlesystem itself that let's it die if there are too much or something like that...

37. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

The script that's attached to all prefabs in Ultimate VFX, "ParticleSystems.cs" isn't actually required. It's just there for the demo, so you can try remove it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  38. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Thanks for the hint! But did not help.
    In order to have less "working" torches to LateUpdate I added this to just enable those in range:

Code (CSharp):
    1.                 if (Globals.PlayerGameObject != null) {
    2.                     this.enabled = Vector3.Distance (transform.position, Globals.PlayerGameObject.transform.position) < 16;
    3.                 }
    but also does not help. Strange. One torch is always on and keeping on. A second is one for some seconds, the others are not or only for a very short moment.

39. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Wouldn't LateUpdate stop being called once the component is disabled?

40. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Yes. Makes it worse. :)

But gave me some idea. Must have something to do with the parent (chunk).
    The particle System is not causing the Problem.

Thanks a lot for the help!

By the way: great update again!

41. ocholicious

ocholicious

@MirzaBeig Hey again!

I got a question regarding particle effects and different screen resolutions. I'm developing a pulsing particle effect to run along a UI timer bar. Everything looked ok, but then when I switched from iPad Wide (4:3) to iPhone 5 Wide (16:9), my particle effect was about 20% shorter on the iPhone 5 view. So on iPad it looks ok, but on the iPhone it looks short... gah. Any recommendations on how you would handle this case so the effects are consistent on both devices?

42. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

@ocholicious

Hi! Particle systems have different possible scaling settings. Try the shape enum on all systems so that only the emitter scaled.

43. Megasteakman

Megasteakman

I'm really loving these particles: they are bringing a ton of life to my project! Has anyone been able to make a script that will control the alpha of all the particle systems in the effect hierarchy? I tried using the script below, but it didn't seem to work. I'm really bad at scripting though, so it is most likely user error (although no console errors, which is good).

Basically, I have a portal effect, and I want its visibility to be based on the intensity of a character's movement in VR. I already have determined a float for the player's movement: just want to attach that to a script that will change all the particles.

Thanks!

44. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

@Megasteakman

Hi! Can you post the full script you have? The logic is correct, but it's not a full script as-is. For every particle for every system in the hierarchy, you would set the alpha of each one. The post you quoted only applies to a single system.

45. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Does the rain have a decent frame rate in VR???

46. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

@SoloChristian

Wouldn't that depend on your computer?

47. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Update!

I've submitted an update for Ultimate VFX (v3.1).

Release notes:

- Updated fire and explosion effects with sharper, higher resolution textures.
    - Added some new prefabs for Action VFX using the new textures.
    - Awesome new custom texture distortion and noise shader for particles (additive + alpha blended).

- New "Particle Force Field" asset now included.
    - New "Particle Plexus" asset now included.

With the new texture distortion particle shaders, you can create things like this:

upload_2017-11-15_7-21-52.png

upload_2017-11-15_7-21-3.png

I fully launched two new assets based on the force affector / force field and Plexus components from Ultimate VFX, which are the new assets included (with some minor updates - including full tooltips).

I've also submitted updates to Shuriken to Spritesheet, and the Action/Storm VFX standalone expansion packs.

And finally, I figured out how to offer a discount on Shuriken to Spritesheet to existing Ultimate VFX owners, so you can now pick that up for just $10. I saw UBER - Standard Shader Ultra and Relief Terrain Pack do it, but I wasn't sure how until now.

I'm assuming that they are completely different assets and the publisher did that as a bonus to customers (although I'm not sure). I'm really hoping this is okay, since there's no seemingly proper ("official") way to allow cross-asset discounts other than setting up multiple upgrades.

upload_2017-11-15_7-27-5.png

EDIT:

For anyone interested in purchasing Ultimate VFX and you don't mind waiting a little bit, it's going to be part of an official Unity sale for 50% off next week!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    hopeful and rrahim like this.
  48. hopeful

hopeful

As you can see, the drawback of setting up the upgrade is that all of the reviews for the "prerequisite" item now show up under the "upgrade" item. It's a flaw in the system that the UAS has been reluctant to address, because they want the feature to be used only for a strict upgrade path.

49. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

I know that myself and other publishers have brought this up (I just mentioned it in the publishers forum yesterday that being able to setup bundles would be useful). While the store front seems to be going through lots of revisions, the backend for publishers is really limited. Seems weird because if we have better tools for tracking proper analytics and organizing our assets, then everyone wins. I might revert the upgrade link after all.

50. hopeful

hopeful

Yeah, there are situations where the current upgrade logic just doesn't fit, and it would be good if they expanded it a little.

MirzaBeig likes this.
unityunity