Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate VFX - Massive Visual Effects and Particle System Collection

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MirzaBeig, Aug 22, 2015.

1. MOSTY

MOSTY

Awesome asset! Very good developer support! Thanks for your work!

MirzaBeig likes this.
  2. juhikaushik21

juhikaushik21

I have designed a train compartment. I want to initiate a fire inside the coach and then spread it gradually through the length of the compartment. How do I go ahead with it?

3. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

There are multiple ways of doing this. The easiest and most straightforward would be to place multiple instances of the fire particles around the compartment, then change the start delay times in the main module.

That way, the fire begins to spread at a controlled rate as the emitters "light up" based on the delay time you've set.

Animated GIF (no scripts required):
    - http://gfycat.com/GlisteningCourageousBaldeagle

You can also set game object/transform spawn points and then instantiate prefabs wherever you want to the fire to begin to spread. It's much easier to change later this way, and you have a lot more control, but it requires some (very basic) scripting.

juhikaushik21 and Manny Calavera like this.
  4. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hi Mirza,

some suggestions: maybe some Kind of blob hit and blob Explosion or dust hit and dust Explosion would be nice.
    My Background would be for Monster and sceleton and Magic combat. Maybe others could make use of that too :)

Just an idea :) Happy X-Mas!

5. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Added a test tutorial for UVFX (although non-UVFX owners can follow along, too). It also shows off some of the upcoming stuff from v2.0.

Another cringe-worthy tutorial:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    hopeful likes this.
  6. subho0406

subho0406

Just bought your asset, very excited to try it out. Just wanted to know how is performance in mobile devices. Is there customization option available because I will be using it mainly for android and ios games.
    Thanks

7. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi there!

UVFX is not optimized for mobile and the texture sizes, by default, are massive. This actually produces several advantages for end-users.

Also, Unity provides mobile versions of the common particle shaders which you can use instead. I would highly recommend you disable the point lights inside the particle effect prefabs for a significant increase in performance if you're targeting lower-end systems or make your own. Also remember to change the texture import settings to the lowest resolution that works for you. Optimizations are planned (and already in the works) for the v2 release of UVFX.

Here's something posted earlier in this thread that may help you:

Also, if you send me your invoice number through email, I can send you the latest version being worked on (v2.0) which currently has around 180 prefabs (compared to v1.5's 125+).

8. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

Hi there ! I've purchased your asset, and when I'm trying to download it from the asset store it indicates that the latest version is 1.5 but once I download it I have the 1.1 version -_-'

It's weird because I download this file "Ultimate VFX Particle Pack v15.unitypackage"

Do you know why I can't grab the latest one?

Thanks !

9. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

It's probably because you're using an older version of Unity. With the next version I've removed all older copies from the Asset Store and submitted using only 5.1.0f3 (although I've tested it up to 5.3.1p1) to prevent this issue from coming up again.

But no worries! I actually just submitted v2.0 for approval on the asset store, and it's available now (free upgrade!) for anyone who's already purchased v1.5. It's a huge improvement, has way more prefabs, expansion packs, demos, etc.

Please send me an email with your invoice number and I'll have you set up with that right away as it may be a week or two before it gets approved for the store.

You can download and preview v2.0 here.

Manny Calavera and hopeful like this.
  10. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

Unity should indicates that I will receive an older version of the plugin rather than letting me download it...
    We are still using 5.0.4f right now, we are planning to upgrade to 5.3.x but recent issues with this version is scaring me a bit.

I'll send you a mail/PM ;)

Thanks !

11. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Finally got around to updating the previews with new, glorious 1080p, 60fps HD videos!

Still waiting on approval from the store...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    hopeful likes this.
  12. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

VFX has been featured again today, btw :)

MirzaBeig likes this.
  13. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

I will download the update now. thanks a lot Mirza :)

14. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

The new ones are extremly nice, thanks!

The bulletstorm, rain, snow and that universe particles will be very useful in my case :D

MirzaBeig likes this.
  15. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

v2.0 is out as of January 16th for anyone who didn't see the update, and it actually managed to be released on time as I planned for (mid-January).

More good news: I literally JUST finished working on that Shuriken -> Spritesheet tool (S2S) and it's ready for release. In the screenshot below you'll see the ultra missile prefab from UVFX v2.0 baked with S2S so that it's just one particle. It'll be handy for creating highly optimized effects using UVFX, other particle system packages on the store, and even your own assets - especially for mobile platforms.

I made it very straightforward to use such that you setup your camera however you want it (you can even add post effects/image effects if you feel like it, render in either orthographic or perspective mode, etc.), select the particle system(s) you want to bake into a spritesheet, and just save all of that to a file. :)

upload_2016-1-19_2-17-47.png

hopeful and Manny Calavera like this.
  16. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

Awesome! Can't wait!

17. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Also, I forgot to mention this earlier, UVFX is on sale for $12.50 (regular price $25 - $35) as part of the v2.0 release! The new key images, videos, etc. were approved earlier today.

Hormic likes this.
  18. hopeful

hopeful

Doesn't everybody own this already? They should. ;)

MirzaBeig likes this.
  19. PsyDev

PsyDev

Just a heads up that I am experiencing very long import and project open times. I purchased the 2.0 asset yesterday, and it took nearly 45 minutes to import. It seems to sit on each png for several minutes. After it did finish importing, I was able to preview the effects, and everything looks great. Now today, when I tried to open the project, it would hang for a few minutes, then Unity crashes. The decompressed package folder under assets is over 1GB, and the Library folder is 3GB+. I deleted the Library folder to try to get the project to open at least, and now it is reimporting again. So another 45 minute wait. I haven't had any problems with importing packages before, but haven't dealt with one this large. I am on Unity 5.2.1f1. Are these slow imports and crashes seen by anyone else? I'd love to get cracking on using some of these great looking effects, but as of now, it is not in a useable state for me.

20. hopeful

hopeful

@PsyDev - I thought I'd check on your situation, since I had loaded the previous version of UVFX with no problem. But yeah, something about his new version is making it take a long, long time to import on 5.3.1f1. I've been waiting 10 minutes so far, and it looks like it is only 1/3 done, if that.

I'm not convinced that the problem is the size of the asset, since I don't recall this being so slow in the recent past. But it could be.

If it does turn out that the size of the textures is too big, what Mirza could do is stuff all those big textures into one or more compressed files that don't get automatically opened on import - like a zip file - and have the demos and so forth run using much smaller textures, like 512 - 1024. In that situation, the download would take a tiny fraction longer, and the project would be slightly bigger, but the import - if it is indeed being held up by the big textures - should be a snap.

Then if you want to unpack a higher res texture for an effect, you'd browse the catalog and unzip the one you need. Something like that.

It's now been 20 minutes on import, and it looks to be 2/5 done. That's a problem. :(

UPDATE: About ten minutes after I posted, it finished. So for me the import was about 30 minutes.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  21. PsyDev

PsyDev

@hopeful thanks for verifying it's reproducible. I see the owners response earlier in this thread about wanting to provide the highest quality textures, and allow users to reduce import size as needed. On a maybe related note, I did find this note from a Unity blog from 1 year ago about how slow texture loading was inadvertently introduced. I have not looked into whether the issue mentioned has had an attempted fix released.

As a workaround, I waited 45 minutes for the import to finish, then created a minimal scene with only the fx prefabs I wanted to start with, saved the scene, then right-click in the Project view on that scene->Export Package, and tick Include Dependencies. Then you can create a new project and import that smaller package with only the subset of prefabs you want. Also if you only want the particle systems, and not any of the infrastructure scripts, remove the ParticleSystem script from each of the prefabs before saving and exporting the scene, and none of the code will be exported.

22. hopeful

hopeful

@PsyDev - I also like the idea of the zip file causing the project to take up far less library space (which I think would be the case). I'm going to have to delete that test project I just made, because I don't have space for it at the moment.

23. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Just for future reference, these are my laptop's specs (the same machine I work on for UVFX):

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    GPU: NVIDIA NVS 4200M
    RAM: 8192MB

I think the issue here is both with the texture import settings, and the available memory on the end-user machine. Don't delete the Library folder, since that's what's being built during the long load time and deleting it will cause Unity to go through the whole process again.

With Unity 5.1, after the initial import, opening up a clean project with only UVFX 2.0 loaded in takes up around 200MB in memory for me since Unity won't load the assets not being used.

I'll change the import options for the textures to be as fast as possible (smallest texture sizes, no mipmaps, etc.), do some tests with that, and report back in a bit. I suspect that mipmaps are a huge issue. They make the particles nicer, but greatly increase the import time and memory footprint for the textures because of the smaller version created.

EDIT:

You can definitely test this yourself. Try selecting one of the textures (just click it in the project view) that's 8192px, and it should take a while (several seconds) for Unity to respond again as it loads up.

Now change the import settings for the texture to only be 32px and without any mipmapping and it should be an instant selection. If you do this for every texture, you can re-package the entire asset and use that as an alternative, then change the import settings whenever you want to up the visual quality.

I'll also make an alternative version available so you don't have to do this yourself! :)

upload_2016-1-21_16-21-9.png

upload_2016-1-21_16-22-2.png

In this case, you can keep two versions of the projects. One where you have the full texture import options so you can preview effects from the demo scenes, and another with cut-down import settings for quick-imports into other projects. That way, side-by-side, you can preview the final effect in one project, and change the texture import settings in your target project with the alt-package.

Attached Files:

DMeville likes this.
  24. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Done! With the new package, the import takes about 2-3 minutes on my laptop. I'm thinking I may be able to throw in a .zip (or .7z) containing only the import settings metadata. The default will be the lower settings, and if the user wants, they can unpack the import settings for the gloriously high-res imports.

Please send me an email with your invoice number if you'd like this version of the package.

Here's what some of the effects look like with the reduced texture import settings on Unity 5.1.0f3:

upload_2016-1-21_17-37-23.png

upload_2016-1-21_17-38-22.png

upload_2016-1-21_17-38-40.png

upload_2016-1-21_17-39-7.png

upload_2016-1-21_17-41-2.png

25. hopeful

hopeful

Well, just getting started with this new version, and ... it took about 3 minutes to import: a huuuuuge improvement! :)

UPDATE: After some fiddling, raising the resolution of the textures from 32 to 512, 1024, and to 2048, I'm thinking that you can't really even tell what many of these are at a resolution lower than 2048. And there's still pixelization at 2048.

I'm thinking customers will be turned off by the super low resolution and maybe many of them not understand that they can raise the res. They'll think it's broken, or too much trouble to mess with. That's my concern.

UPDATE2: Hmm. So I exported UVFX with the textures set at 2048 resolution, and it only took 4 minutes to import that into a new project under 5.2.2. I ran the demo, and everything looks like it truly is at 2048.

Maybe something unexpected is going on.

UPDATE3: Okay, it only took me about 5 minutes to import UVFX with the textures at 4096 resolution. At this size, almost everything looks suitably luscious. So if Mirza gets the same results on his computer, and if the larger textures really are the culprit behind the long import times, then I recommend running with a resolution of 4096. It's not perfect for all of the effects, but it's very close, and for me the 5 minute import time is acceptable (especially when compared to a 3 minute import time for unusable 32 resolution textures).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    MirzaBeig likes this.
  26. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Ideally, you'd have different texture sizes for the single sprites and the spritesheets. But I tried out a version without mipmapping while having the full 8192px settings, and I have an 8-10 minute import time with that.

hopeful likes this.
  27. hopeful

hopeful

Okay, so we nix the mips?

28. plagas36

plagas36

Hey guys.
    I'm currently trying the V2.0 with my 2D game.

Could anyone tell me how to change the "order in layer" in the "renderer" particleSystem at runtime?

Edit:
    Found it ^^
    For those who wants to change all children order in layer at runtime.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Renderer[] renderers = transform.gameObject.GetComponentsInChildren<Renderer> (true);
    3. int layer = Util.GetOrderInLayer ((int)transform.position.z);
    5. for (int i =0; i < renderers.Length; i ++) {
    6.       renderers [i].sortingOrder = layer;
    7. }

29. tng2903

tng2903

hello, how long will this sale last? I really love this asset and want to try it, but my budget is a little too tight this month, until next weekend. Just want to know if the sale will still be up at that point :D

30. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Down with mipmaps! :)

I want to release a few more packages during the sale so it'll still be going for next weekend. I've already submitted one and I'm waiting for approval. That, and the standalone versions of the expansion packs included in v2 (Action/Storm VFX).

tng2903 likes this.
  31. tng2903

tng2903

I bought it, and it was awesome. Please keep it update with more cool stuff ;)

MirzaBeig and hopeful like this.
  32. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

I'm always open to more suggestions for the pack. I'll be adding more prefabs for Action VFX as I get it ready for a standalone release on the asset store.

Aaand, Shuriken to Spritesheet was approved for the store today!
    You can watch this video to see how it works:

Store link: http://u3d.as/nG8

hopeful, Manny Calavera and DMeville like this.
  33. hopeful

hopeful

Super awesome! :D

34. sowatnow

sowatnow

I am tempted to buy it, but looking at the reviews regarding the unorganised structure of asset, hmm i am thinking that should i buy it or not....

35. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

Depends. Would it take you more time to reorganize the folders into a structure of your liking than it would to recreate the effects you need on your own?

MirzaBeig likes this.
  36. hopeful

hopeful

This is one of those building blocks type assets. You're going to rip stuff out of it and make your own.

MirzaBeig likes this.
  37. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

If you go to the package on the asset store, you can see its entire contents listed. Here is what it will look like with a fresh import into your own project:

upload_2016-2-5_15-9-52.png

Those two highlighted folders contain all the prefabs (in sub-folders named "prefabs") for the showcase, demos, and expansions. They also contain all the textures and materials for UVFX.

Opening up the "1 - Assets" folder, this is what you will see:

upload_2016-2-5_15-15-14.png

The entire package is self-contained in a single folder. Check out the content listing, review these screenshots, look at what others have suggested, and you can decide if this is right for you.

I'm always open to suggestions that will improve the end-user experience. :)

As it is now, my other products on the store integrate into the same structure. For example, Shuriken to Spritesheet will drop itself into the Utilities folder without any modifications.

Since people are having issues with this layout, I'm thinking that I'll provide the demos as a separate package that anyone can download and integrate with the asset any time. For those who already have UVFX in their project, this separate package will mix in without any issues and the main download from the store will be cleaner.

The sale will be going on for a while as I prepare the expansion packs. There's no rush!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  38. dogfacedesign

dogfacedesign

Hi there. Just bought this package and it is amazing! Great job! Two quick questions, though.

For some reason, whenever I try to apply a rotation or adjust the rotation via transform, it takes it for one frame, then quickly snaps back to the way it was before. Any ideas?

I am also running into a similar issue when trying to "scale" the transform. The effects look great when I am zoomed in on my map, but as I zoom out, I would like the effects to scale down along with the map. Currently, they continue to take up a lot of space on the screen when I zoom out.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Just gave you a great review, BTW .... I'm loving this!

EDIT #2: I think another plugin I am using might be conflicting and causing the problem. I will test some more. But I would welcome any ideas on the scaling when zooming hurdle I have :)

EDIT #3: If I have one of your effects active in the scene, I get this in the console:

"GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)"

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  39. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Thanks for purchasing UVFX. Glad you're enjoying it! Is there anyway you can provide a video of what the problem looks like? Or even an animated GIF. I can't think of anything specific that would cause this behaviour.

If possible, I can also take a look at your project in its entirety.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  40. dogfacedesign

dogfacedesign

Hi there, Mirza. Thanks for the response, mate!

After doing some more digging, I'm pretty sure the issue is being caused by another package I'm messing around it to provide some unrelated functionality. I'll dig into it some more. Thanks again!

Cheers.

MirzaBeig likes this.
  41. dogfacedesign

dogfacedesign

I got my previous issue sorted out - it was indeed the other package I was using. At any rate, I have another question. Is there a way to ignore the timescale and have the effects play at normal speed all the time, or no?

Killer package and support - keep up the great work!

Cheers.

42. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

I hadn't thought about it before, but it's actually easy with the ParticleSystems (note the plural "s") script included with the package and (by default) assigned to all prefab root GameObjects that contain particle systems.

You just need a simple three-line script to get it to work. Assuming you haven't changed the playback speed of the particle systems, you get the inverse of the current time scale and apply that as the new playback speed.

Code (CSharp):
    1. ParticleSystems particleSystems;
    2. particleSystems = GetComponent<ParticleSystems>();
    4. particleSystems.setPlaybackSpeed(1.0f / Time.timeScale);
    Here's a script wrapped up as a Unity package (see attached) that will do it for you and will be included for everyone in the next update.

Just add the component, "IgnoreTimeScale" to the prefab/effect you want it to work on. It can be any particle system effect, not just ones from my package.

upload_2016-2-7_14-23-17.png

It'll do the rest for you by automatically adding the other required component.

upload_2016-2-7_14-23-40.png

Attached Files:

hopeful likes this.
  43. dogfacedesign

dogfacedesign

Oh cool - thanks for putting that together. I'll give it a go!

Cheers.

44. dogfacedesign

dogfacedesign

Hi Mirza/everyone - does anyone have any tips on how to scale the particle effect larger or smaller when zooming in and out of a map mechanism? Ideally when the player zooms out to see more of the map, the effect would be scaled down a bit so as not to look like the whole map has the effect heheh. Thanks in advance for any insights!

Cheers.

45. dogfacedesign

dogfacedesign

Well, looks like I figured it out on my own by using the Scaling Mode property of ParticleSystem. :D

hopeful likes this.
  46. MrRoberts024

MrRoberts024

The attached image shows a folder named oneshot-mobile. I just purchased your VFX2.0 asset a few days ago and that folder is not part of the asset. I am trying to use one of the one shot prefab effects (the ultimate missile one) and am experiencing an odd bug on iOS. It works fine in the editor but when the particle effect plays on iOS there is a screen artifact where the screen changes and shows the prior scene. Once the effect finishes the screen reverts to showing what it is supposed to. I used the looping mobile fire without any problems so I suspect it is one of the effects in the ultimate missile prefab. Any suggestions on which effect in the prefab it could be? I haven't had time to remove one effect at a time from the prefab yet because I ran out of time working on it before I had to go to work.

47. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

That folder is empty (in the screenshot there's no arrow next to it). It's a placeholder I have on my end for whenever I'm able to start building mobile-specific prefabs. When exporting a package from Unity, empty folders are ignored even if you have them selected which is why it's not there for you.

That being said, if you do have suggestion for that (mobile particles), this is the best place to let me know and I'll see what I can cook up. :)

For the artifact, can you try disabling the distortion particle system in the hierarchy for ultra missile? It's the only one that could even remotely cause something like that to happen.

upload_2016-2-10_21-56-25.png

As you're developing for iOS I'll assume you're aware of the optimizations you'll need for mobile platforms.

48. MrRoberts024

MrRoberts024

Thank you for your quick reply! I disabled the distortion effect and that fixed the artifact. And yes, I made some changes to the point light to optimize it for mobile. My test device is my 6S Plus and it handles multiple point lights handily with shadows from those point lights turned off and the range turned down. I suspect I will have to make further optimizations once I test on some other, older devices.

As far as suggestions for mobile oneshot effects I do have some. My current project and my planned next one use various explosion types (air and ground) so any effects similar to the ultimate missile one would be helpful.

49. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Nice! Have you had a chance to go through the Action VFX expansion prefabs? There may be some stuff in those folders relevant to your project. I'll try getting around to adding more prefabs to the expansion pack.

50. MrRoberts024

MrRoberts024

I had completely missed the Action VFX prefabs. Thank you for mentioning them! They worked perfectly for my current project.