Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate VFX - Massive Visual Effects and Particle System Collection

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MirzaBeig, Aug 22, 2015.

1. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

All new effects, new shaders, textures, materials, all of it new!

Aetherial87 and JG-Denver like this.
  2. uglymug

uglymug

Hello everyone,

First of all apologies if this is the wrong forum. This is a question about the shuriken to spritesheet asset but the support link on the product page links here.

The asset works great, in fact it has saved my project that wasnt capable of handling all the partice effects I wanted.

Anyway I'm trying to get this tool to do something it wasnt designed to do. I'm trying to capture a moving 3D object as a spritesheet and I'm almost there. I've got the object rotating in the editor (not runtime) and I've just moved the particle effect out of the camera vision. And it kind of works.

However the only thing stopping it working properly is that it seems the asset takes the 'SNAPSHOT' of each frame image as quickly as it can by jumping to each point in time when it needs to capture the image. In other words if it needs to take frame grab every second it would take the first image, set the particle system to advance to the 1 second mark (immediately) and then take the second snapshot.

I totally get why it does this for better speed of capture. Hosever its a problem for what I want to do. If I set the asset to capture frames over, say, 5 seconds, it will a actually do it much, much quicker. That's fine for capturing the particle but I'd like to capture the full 5 seconds of my object spinning.

I was wondering if there was any way toget the asset to record in 'real time please? I.e. if a set the asset to start at 0 seconds and end at 5 seconds that's what it really does at capture timme

Once again, I am asking for something the asset was not designed to do so please, a anyone reading this, there is no issue with the asset (its fantastic).

Thanks in advance for ang assistance.

3. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi there! Yes, this is the right place to ask. :)

Unfortunately, as you've guessed, this isn't really the intended focus for S2S, and I think it'd require a bit of hacking around to get it to work that way. I can suggest something to try, though!

Have you used Unity's Recorder? You can grab it from the package manager and set it to record from any given starting frame or time during playmode. Set your output to an image sequence. You can then use Unity's VFX Toolbox to assemble the image sequence into a spritesheet.

4. JG-Denver

JG-Denver

This is great to hear! Very much looking forward to this.

MirzaBeig likes this.
  5. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Just a heads up for people, so far I've actually been posting updates on my Twitter. Down the line I should make a new thread for UVFX II which properly confirms the features, shaders, and effects that are headed for the release.

Here are some of the developments:

- Procedural Shader 1
    - Procedural Shader 2
    - Procedural Shockwave
    - Particle-Based Trails 1
    - Particle-Based Trails 2
    - Pseudo-Volumetric Lit Particles (Smoke, Point Lights, Directional Light)
    - SDF Particle Force Fields (can seamlessly combined rounded cubes and spheres)

And of course, the good old textured stuff...

- Kingdom Hearts Ultima Keyblade Hit

Twitter is super useful for these kinds of posts, but I can link them from back here as well! Right now there's a lot of focus on the more "hardcore" technical side for UVFX-II. Once I lock down all the neat shaders I can start churning out unique effects.

I've also been seriously thinking about how to help upgrade UVFX for (one or both) URP and HDRP. Maybe a tool specific for the asset that'll crawl the directory and replace materials with custom shaders for the SRPs.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Sabso, jeromeWork, chelnok and 2 others like this.
  6. ranaUK

ranaUK

Hi Mirza, long time user here; recently got back into unity development and with UltimateVFX, there are couple of shaders that are not working with URP. "Mirza Beig/Particles/Distortion/Alpha Blended" is one of those. Any plans of updating those shaders?

7. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hey, it's been a while! There's nothing locked down regarding SRP support for UVFX. In the same post quoted, I mentioned I may work on a tool to replace shaders for SRPs, but it's only an idea at the moment.

8. JG-Denver

JG-Denver

I am wondering about the compatibility of the particle shaders used in Ultimate VFX with URP. I worked through the Galaxy Tutorial and so far all the particle shaders seem to be working fine. However, I am not sure if using these legacy types of shaders has any drawbacks. For example, when it is currently set to using a legacy particle additive shader could URP be falling back to something else.

9. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Yeah, some of them may work. I forgot exactly what it was, but the ones that *do* work are probably all the ones that used the built-in shaders, not the custom ones. I haven't really touched URP, but I've began working with HDRP, and UVFX II is all being developed in HDRP so far.

10. JG-Denver

JG-Denver

Thank you, Mirza. Yeah, the built-in/legacy shaders you used seem to work, but there is zero documentation on how the legacy particle shaders play in URP. Hopefully, someone in the URP forum will know. I have your textures, so I could try switching them to the new URP particle shaders, but even that isn't mapped in the documentation anywhere.

11. unity_K8_ZuW3UTqxw-A

unity_K8_ZuW3UTqxw-A

I would like to also ask about this asset. We're considering purchasing it but we are using HDRP and we don't wish to spend money on this only for the asset not to work in HDRP. Could we get any information if it is possible to use it with HDRP. I know it says it doesn't support SRP.. But I still want to ask about it

Verne33 likes this.
  12. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi! Thanks for asking. UVFX does not work with HDRP out of the box.

13. MobinYaqoob

MobinYaqoob

Is this work with URP and HDRP in Unity3d 2020

14. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Hiya I wish to purchase this asset, but I'm really confused with what it works with. The store page says

NOTE: SRPs are not supported. And here you're saying it doesn't work with HDRP? And the post above you said "I haven't really touched URP" = Very confused.

I'm using the Standard / Built in Renderer atm. Can you please clarify? THx

15. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi!

Ultimate VFX does not support HDRP or URP.
    It works with the standard / built-in pipeline.

----------------

SRPs (scriptable render pipelines) = HDRP and URP (these are both scriptable render pipelines).
    Store page is saying it doesn't work with these (which is correct).

16. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Thank you

17. kompanions

kompanions

Hi @MirzaBeig ,

"TextureDistortion-Add" shader is not working on mobile. Can you please quickly provide the solution for this.

Thanks.

18. AlexisInco

AlexisInco

Looks fabulous! Any update on your progress? I checked your Twitter but couldn't find any post related to UVFX II.

Keep up the good work.

19. unity_H1sWXDM-gBXhtA

unity_H1sWXDM-gBXhtA

HI
    i buy package today from unity asset store
    need support for shuriken to spritesheet
    my particles are not coming in renders

20. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi @unity_H1sWXDM-gBXhtA,

Sorry to hear there are problems. I'd like to figure this out with you. Can you please send me an e-mail on the official support address with some more details? Make sure to include the Unity version you're using along with a sample package if possible so I can run some tests.

21. tigerss

tigerss

Hi @MirzaBeig,

I am using some of the effects inside a live wallpaper application

Lately I get this crash

Code (CSharp):
    2. libunity.so (DebugStringToFilePostprocessedStacktrace(DebugStringToFileData const&))
    3. libunity.so (DebugStringToFile(DebugStringToFileData const&))
    4. libunity.so (MemoryManager::Reallocate(void*, unsigned long, unsigned long, MemLabelId, AllocateOptions, char const*, int))
    5. libunity.so (dynamic_array_detail::dynamic_array_data::resize_buffer(unsigned long, ResizePolicy, unsigned long, unsigned long))
    6. libunity.so (ParticleSystemParticles::array_resize(unsigned long))
    7. libunity.so (ParticleSystem::CopyParticlesToUnalignedDst(ParticleSystemUpdateData const&, ParticleSystemParticles&, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long))
    8. libunity.so (ParticleSystem::StartParticles(ParticleSystemUpdateData&, ParticleSystemParticles&, float, float, unsigned long, unsigned long, float))
    9. libunity.so (ParticleSystem::Update1Incremental(ParticleSystemUpdateData&, ParticleSystemParticles&, float))
    10. libunity.so (ParticleSystem::Update1b(ParticleSystemUpdateData&, int))
    11. libunity.so (ParticleSystem::UpdateFunction(ParticleSystemUpdateData*))
    12. libunity.so (JobQueue::Steal(JobGroup*, JobInfo*, long long, int, bool))
    13. libunity.so (JobQueue::WaitForJobGroupID(JobGroupID, JobQueue::JobQueueWorkStealFlags))
    14. libunity.so (CompleteFenceInternal(JobFence&, WorkStealFlags))
    15. libunity.so (ParticleSystem::SyncJobs(bool))
    16. libunity.so (ParticleSystem_CUSTOM_GetParticles(ScriptingBackendNativeObjectPtrOpaque*, ScriptingBackendNativeArrayPtrOpaque*, int, int))
    17. libil2cpp.so (ParticleAffector_LateUpdate_mD0AB0F52DA97EF15A83909FDB0C1F0445C7CE6AD)
    Seems to start from ParticleAffector LateUpdate function

Do you have any idea what is happening?

Thanks!

22. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi there. I'm not sure what's happening. It seems to be generic to particle systems, since ParticleAffector is not multi-threaded.

23. tigerss

tigerss

To me it seems like it's something about memory (array_resize, Reallocate). Looking into the code of ParticleAffector.LateUpdate() there is this comment

If first frame (array is null) or length is less than the number of systems, initialize size of array.
    I never shrink the array. Not sure if that's potentially super bad? I could always throw in a public bool as an option to allow shrinking since there's a performance benefit for each, but depends on the implementation case.

Could it be that there is an array that is growing forever?

24. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

I can certainly look into it. Can you send me a small project that produces this issue to the support e-mail? IIRC the affector classes are the old versions of the ForceField components, but both have this comment. Please include some additional details:

What is the live wallpaper application?
    Is this a mobile project?
    What version of Unity and UVFX are you using?

25. tigerss

tigerss

Yes this is a mobile project, Unity version 2019.2.17f1, how do I find the UVFX version?

Ok I will email you a sample and additional details if needed

26. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

If you downloaded the asset using Unity 2019, you should have the latest version, so that's enough for me. But if you wanted to know for sure, the readme will have it as well.

27. tigerss

tigerss

Sorry for the delay, I have tested without the Particle Affector scripts and the same crashes show. In conclusion I think it's Unity related and does not have anything to do with UVFX

28. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

That's a relief for me. Thank you for reporting back! If there are issues though, do let me know.

tigerss likes this.
  29. Weblox

Weblox

Hi @MirzaBeig - I am trying to optimize performance for my project. Does the Shuriken to Spritesheet Asset still work as expected on Unity 2020.3 LTS Versions? Including render sub emitters? Thnx in advance ...

30. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi there! I've deprecated S2S for now, it'll need to be updated and go through some QA as Unity made some changes to the Particle System API that I wasn't able to keep track of.

If anyone has purchased S2S recently, and it doesn't work for them the way they want, please reach out for a refund, no questions asked.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    Quast and Weblox like this.
  31. Weblox

Weblox

Hi Mirza - thnx a lot for your quick response. Much appreciated! :p

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    MirzaBeig likes this.
  32. FuriousRamsay

FuriousRamsay

Hi Mirza,

I just bought the package, trying to make it work in Unity 2019.2.

I'd need some guidance as to how to set up the main project as you mention requiring post processing and global fog, which I've managed to find but then would require documentation but your links on the first page are pretty much all broken.

Would it be possible to point me to a tutorial video on how to set up the base or the documentation as right now the effects do not look at all like what you have in the videos.

Thanks!

33. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi @FuriousRamsay,

Sorry to hear about the issues.

I didn't realize the links to download the packages at the bottom of the new documentation weren't working correctly as a result of Google requiring them to be updated (something about a security update apparently...).

upload_2021-11-29_3-6-25.png

Are you able to download the package now?
    > Post-Processing Stack + Global Fog

The link has also been updated in the documentation.

I've tested a fresh install of UVFX from the asset store using Unity 2019.4.33f1 (2019 LTS) in the default pipeline. Everything should hook up correctly if you download and install the linked package above first, then import UVFX.

If there are any other problems, please let me know.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  34. FuriousRamsay

FuriousRamsay

Wonderful, thank you.

FYI, I was attempting to click on the documentation link on page 1 of this thread and the link is still broken

MirzaBeig likes this.
  35. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Annnd fixed those, too. I appreciate you bringing those to my attention!

36. FuriousRamsay

FuriousRamsay

Works great, thanks again.

If I might suggest including the part on the requirements (post-processing stack and Global fog) before your section on importing VFX as VFX appears to require them to be installed first.

I had done things the other way around, VFX then those dependencies and even tried reload VFX after, no go.

37. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

That makes sense. I've moved over the post-processing block to before the import details.

I had originally left this at the bottom since by the time the new docs were made Unity had already switched over their post-processing effects multiple times, and it was tedious remaking videos, promos, and scenes. They used to have a collection of "image effects", then had cinematic image effects, then they got to stack v1, and then stack v2, and now they've moved over to URP and HDRP-specific post-processing stacks for each one.

The profiles are there if people want to use them for reference, but otherwise I wouldn't want multiple post-processing versions in my project and I recommend that people use their own profiles with whichever post-processing stack they want.

38. FuriousRamsay

FuriousRamsay

Thanks for the details.

For my own education, should someone wish to use another stack, how would we make sure VFX was properly "connected" to it?

39. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

By connected, I mean that the script/component reference for post-processing doesn't get lost and the profile is loaded as it should be, matching the state when I exported the package for the asset store.

If you're using another version of the post-processing stack (ex. v2, or you're porting to URP manually, etc.) you'll need to setup that stack separately and make/use your own profiles, since they aren't compatible with v1.

Realistically, every game and scene will have their own profiles, using whichever version of the post-processing stack you want. The included profiles for stack v1 are for showing the potential of what you can do combining UVFX and post-processing, and as a starting point to understanding how they can be used for the purposes of making your scenes look good.

Are you new to Unity and/or game dev? Not asking to be rude, only to understand the context and so I can help explain further if needed. If you'd like, I can make a video on how one would go about using stack v2 in a fresh scene and UVFX.

To see the difference post-processing can make, you can check out this short clip I made in Unity's HDRP:

> https://twitter.com/TheMirzaBeig/status/1462530936705331208

There are some subtle point particles in the background.

40. FuriousRamsay

FuriousRamsay

Yup, fairly new to Unity. Currently modding a game and I've dabbled in importing assets (entities, weapons) and having them show up, thought I'd move on to attaching particles to some of them, whether directly or through an action, so this part is all new.

Not developing a game myself, wouldn't have the time :)

Wow, that's quite the difference.

MirzaBeig likes this.
  41. nopacc

nopacc

Hi! is there any news about HDRP UVFX?

42. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

No plans for that, sorry.

43. KrunchAttack

KrunchAttack

Hey everyone! I'm contemplating buying this VFX package as it looks like the best thing out there, but I have a concern. I don't know a lot about the render pipelines and how they impact this asset, but from what I understand the URP and HDRP are not supported. I feel like if this was a super big deal it wouldn't be as popular, but I'm not sure how it really matters specifically. I'm really just interested in the particles, with everything else being a bonus. What am I losing out on for this URP project I have if I purchase and implement this asset? Thank you in advance!

44. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hello!

Most of the particle prefabs in UVFX will work with URP without any issues, but some will render with magenta (due to shader errors).

For reference, please have a look at this thread on Twitter:
    > https://twitter.com/stbloomfield/status/1554186743112425472

There's a video showing what you can expect opening UVFX in a URP environment, followed by a video of UVFX intact in the built-in pipeline. You can also still use the entire texture library for VFX, as URP has no effect on that.

For those prefabs that render with magenta, you can disable those specific particle systems in the hierarchy of the effect. Post-processing also doesn't transfer between built-in and URP, so that's something to consider, although you'd likely be creating your own profiles anyway so it's not too big of a deal there except for previewing the effects with all the visual bells and whistles you'd typically find in video games.

Verne33, chelnok and KrunchAttack like this.
  45. KrunchAttack

KrunchAttack

Thank you for clearing that up. I think that's fine for what I need.

MirzaBeig likes this.
  46. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

And just to clarify in case there's any confusion:

Post-processing effects (full screen bloom, colour grading) won't carry over from built-in -> URP. You can remake these in URP, and typically they are specific to your unique scenes.

Some of the component particle systems that make an entire effect (because a single effect may contain multiple particle systems) may render with magenta due to shader errors. That's all. You can disable these specific sub-particle systems and most effects will look fine as-is. You can also replace the shader on any problematic effect materials with existing URP particle shaders, mostly fixing the entire effect in a few clicks.

Lars-Steenhoff and Verne33 like this.
  47. imjusthere

imjusthere

I'm interested in the logo effect that is baked. Is there a tool for converting the logo image into a Sprite sheet? Or how do you go about doing this?

48. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

There used to be a separate asset for that, but repeat breaking changes required it's removal. You would have to record each frame of playback of the effect and then assemble that into a flipbook. Unity does have it's own Recorder solution from the Package Manager that you may be able to use.

49. ninuxw

ninuxw

Hi @MirzaBeing I bought this asset a long time ago when it was compatible with unity 2017. The project in the meantime got update unity version wise. I am wondering if there is any way I can either update the package (I know you explicitly say not to) or add it along side its old version.

50. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi! The most simple answer is I don't think it would work.

The reason I put that notice was because UVFX went through major changes between versions, and instead of releasing things as a separate content pack, I updated UVFX directly. If you try and upgrade from an older version, please make sure to keep thorough backups, as it may cause material links to be lost.

The most stable version, however, has not had major restructuring for years, since by then it had matured and I better understood how to organize it internally. For older users, I know it's not ideal. You can certainly try an upgrade if you keep backups. Maybe it's not so much work to link some effects or find similar materials in newer versions.