Search Unity

Ultimate VFX - Massive Visual Effects and Particle System Collection

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MirzaBeig, Aug 22, 2015.

1. ocimpean

ocimpean

Thanks for the link, I will check it out and if I can use it I will buy it. I bought Mirza's beautiful UVFX pack long ago, unfortunately, it stays unused because I am working on another kind of projects.

hopeful likes this.
  2. Barritico

Barritico

I'm doing an all-terrain car racing game. I need effects and particles of gravel and sand to appear when the car moves, skid, etc. and I have not found anything that I like.

Are there effects and particles ready to achieve this?

Thanks!!!

3. a_rts

a_rts

Hi,

I'm trying to play particles while the timescale is set to 0 and I have only gotten that to work by using the TimeScaleIndependentParticleSystem script which you can see at the bottom of this article http://www.asteroidbase.com/devlog/9-pausing-without-pausing

However, even though the particles play while the time is paused, Particle Affector scripts from Ultimate VFX do not.

How can I make these effect scripts run when the timescale is set to 0 or be directly run by the TimeScaleIndependentParticleSystem script?

4. hopeful

hopeful

I believe time scale is used for controlling physics FX. So if you want to in essence turn off physics but still have the FX, I'd guess that you would need to pre-record the effect to a sprite sheet ...?

5. Barritico

Barritico

There's no answer?

6. a_rts

a_rts

What I want to do is to be able to manually trigger the update on Affector scripts and such from other scripts.

7. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hey, sorry it took a while to get back to you. Aside from skid, there are textures in UVFX you can use to simulate sand and gravel, but I can't say for sure whether they'd match the style of your game without seeing it.

Barritico likes this.
  8. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi! Which version of Unity are you using? Particles have had the ability to be timescale independent for a while now. Just change the delta time simulation mode to Unscaled:

upload_2019-3-9_15-9-48.png

To support unscaled delta time, change line 198 in ParticleForceField.cs to use time.unscaledDeltaTime:

upload_2019-3-9_15-15-11.png

9. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Alright, I've added an update to the force field behaviours so that they automatically grab the same scaling mode as the particle system being affected. It'll be part of the next release!

hopeful likes this.
  10. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Update:

Particle Plexus is getting another free update as part of both UVFX and the standalone version. The newest feature is UV-mapped proximity mesh triangles. You can check it out there:

The video demonstrates the triangle mesh generation using one of the built-in particle shader materials (you can use any material you want for the triangles), and I then apply a texture which appears on each triangle seperately. The mesh triangles can inherit the colour of the particles so long as the shader supports it (the built-in particle shaders, both standard and legacy, support this feature).

These are the settings you can control:

upload_2019-3-9_16-52-55.png

I'll work on the documentation soon and try to push the update tomorrow so it's live during the week. The entirety of the triangles for a single plexus effect are drawn using only one mesh.

shredingskin likes this.
  11. a_rts

a_rts

I'm using Unity 2018.3. I tried unscaled time on Particle System but it certainly does not run when timeScale is set to 0! If you have any idea why, please tell me, because my Google searches have only told me to set that option to Unscaled even though it doesn't work.

Thanks for the other bit, it works! Although I made that change on line 184 in ParticleAffector.cs as well. Would it be a good idea for you to include a checkbox for scaled/unscaled time in these scripts in a future update?

12. Chaz32621

Chaz32621

When will we have srp support? Really wanna add to my lwr project

13. InfiniteMonkey

InfiniteMonkey

I've just bought and started using UVFX, and I must say it's pretty exciting what it can do! But I've got something I just can't work out how to improve (it was like this with other particle systems too, so I suspect it's just my lack of understanding - apologies for the noob question, but I've been trying to get this looking right for days):

I'm wanting chimney smoke type particles, and everything works fine except the smoke looks like it's mostly 'behind' the chimney:

upload_2019-4-18_15-39-27.png

Note that I've greatly exaggerated the size and darkness of the particles in attempting to get it to look right, I don't actually want them this big/dark. But if I reduce the size so that they 'fit' inside the chimney I wind up with this:

upload_2019-4-18_15-44-32.png

which is more like what I want in terms of the particles, but then they *really* look like they're coming from behind the chimney

If i change the material to one of the demo_black ones I get:
    upload_2019-4-18_15-40-9.png
    So you can see that they're definitely 'in front' of the chimney! I'm guessing this is something to do with the amount of empty/transparent space in the smoke texture, but I'm not sure, and I'm not sure what I can best do to make it look right. All I want is for the smoke to look likes it's really coming out of the chimney!

14. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hey! This looks like it may have to do with the Render Mode (billboard vs. something like vertical aligment in the Renderer module). Does it look better if you adjust the pivots in the same module?

15. Quast

Quast

How to get an orbit for tank fire like this one ?

16. InfiniteMonkey

InfiniteMonkey

So it looks like the issue is something to do with transparency/depth sorting... Here's another example where the smoke doesn't look right:
    upload_2019-4-23_9-44-44.png
    The particle emitter is right in the centre of the top of the roof. If I change the rendering mode of material of the BUILDING to Transparent, I get:
    upload_2019-4-23_9-45-31.png

Which, barring some tweaking, is exactly what I want. After a bit more experimenting I've found that if I change the particle materials shader from "Legacy shaders/Particles/Alpha Blended" to "Particles/Standard Surface" and it's rendering mode to "fade" I get:
    upload_2019-4-23_9-51-59.png
    Which will do for now :)

17. maxaud

maxaud

Any quick way to make all the billboards change to worldview rather then align to camera? I’ve pulled this up in VR and played around with it and some of them are pretty awesome until I tilt or move my head and the particle’s billboards move with my head.

I know I can change them individually but that’s a bunch of work I’d like to avoid if I can.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  18. GameDevDustin

GameDevDustin

@MirzaBeig
    Are there any plans to upgrade this package to be compatible w/ SRP?

Will this integrate with Shader Graph at some point?

If not, can you explain why?
    I'm not very well informed on the particle systems changes as the new SRP is being implemented and thus, whether this is a deal breaker or not.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  19. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi there!

There are no plans currently to integrate with SRPs. It's been several months since I last did particle tests with HDRP, and I ran into (what I think were) bugs.

I'm more likely to integrate new (and new versions of-) existing shaders using Amplify since it supports the default rendering pipeline as well as SRPs. Last time I used Unity's shader editor I actually ran into a few limitations (specifically with custom particle vertex streams, which Unity acknowledged at the time), bugs, and a general lack of being in tune with my preferred workflow.

hopeful likes this.
  20. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

You can multi-select particle systems, but there's no built-in way to change that specific setting across particle systems without a custom script, sorry!

21. GameDevDustin

GameDevDustin

@MirzaBeig

I do have Amplify shader as well, though I have yet to play with it.

I guess, bottom line, will there be guaranteed support /compatibility for Ultimate VFX in Unity 2019?
    Is this support likely to continue on into Unity 2020?

W/ Amplify shader, how much of the assets will be available to modify in Amplify shader or implement through Amplify shader for SRP pipeline?

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  22. Stickeyd

Stickeyd

Hello! Is there any way to download older version of the asset? I bought it on Unity Asset Store and really excited to use it, but unfortunately our project runs on Unity 2017.4.5f1 because of one deprecated asset that's vital to our project and doesn't work on newest versions. I would really like to use older version.

23. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

To prevent breaking compatibility with the existing shaders, newer shaders will be made with Amplify. The new rain terrain shaders, for example, can be opened and edited with ASE. I can't speak for the future in definite terms, but I have no plans to stop supporting Ultimate VFX. It's been on-going since 2015!

rrahim likes this.
  24. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi! The oldest version on the store is the most recent one:

upload_2019-5-15_17-31-13.png

I base this on metrics for most used version of Unity as reported by Unity to publishers and my own version usage. I tried looking just now for an older local copy, but unfortunately don't have one available close to the version of Unity you're on. The ones I do have date back to 2016 and Unity 5.x.

25. Stickeyd

Stickeyd

Maybe it would be possible for me to export prefabs with effects I need to older version? As I understand some effects will not be working? If that's not possible I will be glad to at least have 2016 version

26. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

It may be worth a go to try and re-export the package the most recent version of the package back to Unity 2017, but in my past experience it tends to "null" the prefabs. If it doesn't work out, feel free to PM me your invoice and I can send you a link to download the 2016 version (although be warned, it's a few years worth of updates old and a lot of stuff will be missing, as you can probably guess!).

27. jochoa

jochoa

What can i do for mobile devices games? How i can reduce the size of the VFX prefabs ? thanks.

28. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi there!

You can reduce the size of the textures used by the prefab in the texture importer to control how much space each one will take. You can see the build/output log to see the allocation of build size.

The following is a screenshot from the old documentation that explains it a bit more:

upload_2019-5-28_19-40-23.png

29. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

is there a possibility to do this by script (with Compiler directive)?
    Have high Detail for PC platforms and low Detail for mobile?

30. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi! You can set the override for each platform in the editor:

upload_2019-5-30_2-5-48.png

Firlefanz73 and hopeful like this.
  31. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

32. jakobchr

jakobchr

Hey Mirza, this looks really awesome! Do you have any plans on supporting HDRP in the near future? You've mentioned it about half a year ago but I'm not sure if it's still something you are planning to do?

Thanks!

33. KandoozStudio

KandoozStudio

Greetings,

I've been trying to use the asset in a VR game and all of them feel a off, they have this billboard effect, is there a way to edit the particle system, tip or a hack to make them work in VR?

Thanks

34. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hey! Sorry, but I still don't have any plans for custom SRP support. Here's why.

35. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hello! Have you tried changing the particle's rendering mode to worldview?

36. KandoozStudio

KandoozStudio

Thank you, converting render alignment to world fixed it.

MirzaBeig likes this.
  37. jakobchr

jakobchr

Got it, thanks for the reply!

38. Sam512

Sam512

Hey, your system support xbox one and ps4?

39. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi there! UVFX uses Unity's particle system, so it will work with all platforms supported by Unity, including Xbox One and PS4.

Sam512 likes this.
  40. maxaud

maxaud

I use it on PS4 without issues. PSVR requires some tweaking.

Sam512 and MirzaBeig like this.
  41. gamerko

gamerko

Purchased "Shuriken to Spritesheet" 3 days ago.

When I tried to convert the effect to a sprite, I noticed a blurry image like a photo.

Is there a way to solve this when this happens?

Contains a GIF for the original effect. A screenshot of the settings screen is also attached.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

42. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi there! What are you resolution settings in S2S? Looks like you may need to turn up those settings to get the details from that effect.

43. Jon_Brant

Jon_Brant

Hopefully this isn't as dead as it looks... I'm trying to use some of the effects for weapons. Specifically the flamethrower particle effect. I can't seem to be able to "direct" it in the direction the weapon is facing. I've tried setting the particle positions to local, world, and various combinations and it almost seems to work, but there's some sort of billboarding going on that's messing with it. There are others I'd like to use, but I need to be able to "aim" them and can't seem to figure it out. HALP?

44. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

@Jon_Brant

Hi! Do you have a video of what this looks like currently in your project and a game reference for what you're trying to achieve?

Here's what I have going on with that prefab with two quick edits (extrude along Y-axis to get offset and add emission Rate over Distance):

upload_2019-8-31_7-2-54.png

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  45. hopeful

hopeful

Not dead, just sleeping. :)

MirzaBeig likes this.
  46. Jon_Brant

Jon_Brant

Ah! That video is exactly what I'm trying to do. Thanks! I will try it out when I get a few, thanks for the reply! I just need to be able to aim it. I'm a shadernoob which is why I bought the pack. I have no idea what I'm doing lol

Edit: Also I keep looking at peoples' joined date instead of the date of the post, this isn't dead. lol

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    MirzaBeig likes this.
  47. lorddesu

lorddesu

Hello! After import Ultimate VFX into unity Unity Particle Pack project the main demo of Ultimate VFX try to fire all particles together resulting in 100% gpu load and nearly 1 fps. It feels like it should be some chekboxs option somewere. Can you help with that?

48. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi! That shouldn't be happening. Are you able to show a video (even if you record with your phone). Only a single system should be active by default once you hit play.

49. enginarer

enginarer

Hi! First, thank you for the great work you've put in for this asset, this looks very nice!

I have a question for the plexus effect. Is it possible to have interaction among seperate particle systems? Let's say one particle system is stationary and the other is mobile, like the cursor trail you have in the demo videos (can be same variant of the same particle system) and when the mobile one passes by the stationary one, I want them to have like a metaball kind of interaction, casting connections to the other particles in the other system when close enough. Is it possible to achieve this kind of effect? If so, can we layer/seperate/configure this effect according to the ones we'd like to interact together and those to be isolated?

Thanks in advance!

50. lorddesu

lorddesu

Never mind already fix it myself. The problem was Simulation Layer "Everything" so in Edit Mode Unity try to run all particle systems together.

MirzaBeig likes this.