Search Unity

Ultimate VFX - Massive Visual Effects and Particle System Collection

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MirzaBeig, Aug 22, 2015.

1. zoltanBorbas

zoltanBorbas

Thank you for your response, i will sure keep an eye on anything new you come up with even if its not for any scifi weapons. :p

Also thanks for the suggestion of follow player semi global weather effect, it looks promising.

MirzaBeig likes this.
  2. Kriszo91

Kriszo91

Hello!

I'm working on a space shooter, can you help me to make a playable whorm hole? or do you have any idea how to start to create flexible playable whorm hole whit collider?

3. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

@sybere

Hey again! Do you have any references? I'm not sure what you have in mind regarding a playable worm hole. Are you thinking of Everspace?

4. Kriszo91

Kriszo91

Sorry i not mentioned correctly, yes like in everspace but i like to use this wormhol as a palyable wormhol which means, when you are in the wormhole it has a path inside which is ribbon and you need to follow the path also collision needed to detect if the ship affect the edge of the path maybe the path can be a tube mesh or something

5. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

I think you'd really like this: https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/swirly-pipe/. You can use it to generate a tube procedurally.

6. sarynth

sarynth

How do you recommend using the storm particles? I.E. Stretching the "perfect storm" over a lake. Or, applying the groundFog to an entire town.

7. skyLark9

skyLark9

Is there any blood effect ? Like that one Rainbow six: Siege ?

8. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

What sort of perspective will the player have? It does depend somewhat on how the lake will be used. You could get away with linking the prefab with the player position, or you may need to have multiple copies over the town (but this may cause performance issues).

9. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Like in this video?

There are some blood effects, but not like in that game.

blackbird likes this.
  10. sarynth

sarynth

Third person perspective similar to WoW/PoE/Witcher.

Adding the light/medium/heavy rain to the player is okay because the drops move fast enough that you don't notice anything strange. But, adding the perfect storm to the player of course as the player moves, the drops move with them. The drops also look great on water. Same thing with many of the other storm/weather particles. They look great in the little fixed location demo area, but how would you recommend going about including them in a game.

11. JBR-games

JBR-games

May i suggest a handful of instances like a cube grid of the particle system around the player but not attached to the player that are turned on and off as the player moves around.

12. sarynth

sarynth

Certainly an option. All the particle FX are pretty cool. But, I'll say, the weather effects are quite impressive. They are quite realistic. I figured since they're such high quality that there must be some existing usages of them. I was just curious what sort of approach would be recommended.

Building a system that handles grids of adding/removing particles is certainly feasible, but also a non-trivial effort to achieve. Plus, I added a 2x2 grid of particles and it is just a small part of the lake. (Screenshot shows a 1x1 in the front, and a 2x2 on the left.

storm.png

13. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

To get the particles to not be fixed with the emitter transform, set them to simulate in world space.

upload_2018-9-23_19-36-3.png

You can then have the splashes as a subemitter that spawns on contact with terrain.

There's an example of this in The Last Particle demo (included with UVFX), but it's not included with Storm VFX because it uses other things from Ultimate VFX.

I'll work on a new sample using just Storm and post it here when I'm done.

JBR-games likes this.
  14. sarynth

sarynth

I purchased Ultimate VFX so I'll checkout the last particle demo. Thanks for linking that demo video, I hadn't seen that, you might consider adding it as a video here: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/particles/ultimate-vfx-26701

I did click on the last particle but it wanted to extract it as a new package, and I opted not to do that when I noticed it the first time. My bad. The storm looks promising and encompassing. So I'll certainly dive into it.

I am familiar with switching to world space, that may solve some of this. And, yes having the particles impact on terrain is a good idea. I can probably figure that out. However I am still unclear if there are any other options to making the storm appear larger, like the entire lake as shown in my screenshot.

May need a grid of 9 of the particles such as snowstorm since if my character is sprinting, he leaves the area of snowcover. Walking though it does improve the experience as the snow continues to fall appropriately. Jumping though creates clouds higher and lower based on where he was in the air.... Anyways, thanks for the help. I'll check out the last particle and see how it goes.

15. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

I've made a new prefab for Storm VFX, which will be part of the next update (the scene and everything in it will be included, minus the sounds). It handles collision with the world, has distortion, etc...

I don't know when the next update will actually be, but If you need it right now can you send me either a PM or e-mail with your invoice?

16. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

I've checked out how some games (L4D2, XCOM Declassified, and Shadow of Mordor to name a few) simulate rain, including for large areas. They all fake it by having a smaller system follow the player/camera arround and then various techniques for the rest of the world.

I have a lot of videos recorded from last year for XCOM Declassified, and I've uploaded a few for reference:

This one shows that the rain is rendered using sheets with streaks.

This one shows off the shader they're using for the water to simulate ripples.

And this one takes a closer look at the terrain distortion texture for wet surfaces.

They have a few more interesting techniques for other surfaces like wood and shingles not shows in these videos. Overall I was just impressed by the aesthetic of this game.

You've probably noticed that they don't ever use particles for the rain on surfaces, and instead opted to use surface shaders which is unlike other games like L4D2 and Shadow of Mordor.

In your case, I'd opt to either use a modified shader for the water (or another plane on top with a ripple shader), or isolate the particles for collision only (ripples, splashes) so that you can leave the heaviest rendering for the prefab following the camera, which has a smaller range. This should allow you to throw in more simple particles which won't kill performance while still encompassing the player's view.

17. sarynth

sarynth

Cool, definitely interested in the rain on terrain demo scene, I'll shoot you a PM.

I hadn't thought about using a different shader for the water, that's a good idea. The rain/snow you've got already works great for following the player using worldspace. Certainly nicer than the sheets. Hah, I take a lot of videos and screenshots of some of the AAA titles that I aspire to. Got multiple folders of them on my drive.

Thanks for the assistance, ideas, and feedback. Very helpful. Amazing asset.

MirzaBeig likes this.
  18. skyLark9

skyLark9

Not the blood on the ground or walls.I meant by blood effect that blood which come-up when bullet hit body. Look atthis please.

What blood effect you have ?

19. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

That video doesn't play for me, but here is a video of the blood effects currently. Not all of the effects in UVFX are mobile friendly, but these ones are, and only use 4 particles per instance.

More can be made using the library. I've added a new effect (also super performant) that'll be part of the next update:

You can combine these for an even nicer effect, like this:

Quast, DrOcto and skyLark9 like this.
  20. skyLark9

skyLark9

This what i'm looking for. ;)

21. melonhead

melonhead

this might be a silly question but i need to know if the results from using the shuriken to spritesheet are vr compatible

22. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

It produces a spritesheet that you can re-assign to a particle system to reduce the number of particles used to 1. I haven't worked with VR for a while now, but you should try building a seperate particle system with a spritesheet texture, disable rolling and billboarding to face the camera position, and then see if an effect looks good in VR that way.

upload_2018-10-2_5-33-22.png

23. Kriszo91

Kriszo91

Hello!

Any idea how to upgrade shaders and the whole asset to work with HDRP?

24. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hey! Yeah, I was thinking about this recently, but kept remembering that HDRP is still experimental (I think?) and I'm worried about starting a full port that will break again later. Have you tried importing UVFX into a project with the HDRP package? You can probably get some of the effects you want to work by starting to replace the shaders on the materials with the built-in equivalents for HDRP.

25. Livealot

Livealot

Piling on to say don't forget about LWRP, and LWRP for VR, and, and, and. As a happy user of your assets, I understand you won't be able to support everything, especially before its ready. But I'd also suggest that you're probably in a good position to set some standard SRP templates (HD, LW, VR, etc) that DO work with your future packages. Because I'm likely to adopt whatever SRP template that works for you and your awesome VFX packages.

Personally, I do hope you create a VFX set for the Oculus Quest, which will probably be closer to Mobile/Oculus Go than PC/Oculus Rift. And that means I'd prefer to see you do something for LWRP before you do something for HDRP

DrOcto and MirzaBeig like this.
  26. Quast

Quast

Is there different type of bullet trail effect inside Uvfx ?

27. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi Quast. I'm not sure I understand. Did you have something specific in mind?

28. Quast

Quast

Yes, something like this

29. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi Quast,

Yes, you can search for "trail" and you'll get a few different trail materials. You can attach a trail to your projectiles with that material to get a similar look to the first and third screenshots you posted.

Then, if you attach a particle system to the moving projectile and set the emission to world + set the emitter to use particles per distance, you'll get an even distribution of particles. You can set the renderer to use a quad mesh with the facing set to local, and that should give you cards of particles aligned to the projectile direction when they were emitted. You can set the material to a ring or shockwave to get something like in the second screenshot with the "bullet-time" rings.

Let me know if you need more info. :)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Quast and JBR-games like this.
  30. Quast

Quast

Great. Could you show us some examples please.

31. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Sure! I'm currently working on an example using UVFX. I'll post a preview here when it's done.

EDIT:

upload_2018-11-1_7-11-32.png

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    chelnok, Quast and hopeful like this.
  32. sniffle63

sniffle63

Wo when you find you were mention in a post and dont know why :eek:

33. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Here's a video of the improved effect (literally used a clip from The Matrix as a reference).

chelnok, Quast and hopeful like this.
  34. Kriszo91

Kriszo91

Hello!

I'm working on a spaceshooter, and i would like to do an effect around my ship, here are the sample from everspace:

this effect like stars but when you move with the ship they became lines, any idea?

35. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Yup! You can use stretched billboard mode on the particle system renderer module and use the camera speed property to simulate motion blur.

36. Kriszo91

Kriszo91

Thank you!
    i need to attach the particle system to the ship?

37. Kriszo91

Kriszo91

In everspace, when the ship not moving particles seems to not move, the move ang stretching only when the ship move or turn, now my particles are streching when i move but, the are come from a cone base and not looks like a stars

38. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

I'm not sure I understand this part. Have you changed the emitter shape? The system should not be attached to the ship, but it should follow the camera and emit in world space to make sure they're always visible.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  39. Quast

Quast

Great effect. Thank you.

40. thunderdawn

thunderdawn

Hi! Just wanted to ask about the other particle effects in the video, particularly the moving cloud thing with glow dust inside it, are they also in the asset?

41. hitmanchoi

hitmanchoi

hey @MirzaBeig,
    i just bought your ultimate vfx. i'm wondering if something like this is possible?
    jinimpact.gif
    i have some experience in c# but nothing in vfx. i'm guessing this would be a combination of camera shake, blood, sparks, and a small explosion? (excluding electricity and text)

for the camera shake, i've seen your video so there's no problem there. but the effects i have no idea even where to start.

it would be really helpful if you could give me some tips or general direction as to how i should approach this. thanks.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  42. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi there. Are you referring to the particle effect when the character fires his rifle? I made that effect custom for the demo, but it was made entirely using materials and textures from UVFX.

43. Kriszo91

Kriszo91

Hello!

I would like to create a 3d minimao for my upcoming space shooter, any idea, its can be done with particle system or other way, its need to be 3d.

44. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hello!

For a starter reference, you can check out the blood and atomic prefabs in the main demo.

Actually, that entire effect (minus the camera shake) can be done with particles (even the text if you render it out as a texture).

The easiest way to mimic the electricity would be to create a mesh particle system with one of the lighting spritesheet materials and use the texture sheet animation module.

You can use a red gradient texture for the little "ball" of red in the center of the electricity where the hit happened. For the text just use a pre-rendered texture with the word "HIGH" and have a particle system that emits a single particle that stays in place for a while, and then goes up and fades out at the very end.

You can do that using the velocity over lifetime and colour over lifetime modules. Finally the blood splatter that goes in the direction of the punch can be another particle system with a spritesheet that has particles going off in a certain direction. You can then instance the object with the correct rotation so they fly away opposite from the punch.

Note: For the camera shake I'd actually suggest you use Cinemachine now.

45. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hey! I don't know what a minimao is. Do you have a reference?

46. Kriszo91

Kriszo91

sorry, minimap*

47. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Ah, thanks for the clarification! A 3D minimap would be best not as a particle system. You could certainly have particle effects as part of it, but it requires different techniques.

48. thunderdawn

thunderdawn

That one is great too, but I meant the ambient fireflies behind his back. The camera goes around and we can see green ones floating near a green neon sign, then white ones, then blue ones, and they seem to be either lit or floating inside colorful fog. I saw the usual volumetric dust a hundred times but those are large and glowing and the fog is so nicely animated too.

49. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Oh, those ones. I made those for the scene to simulate volumetric lighting. I added smoke particles from UVFX, and then used a box emitter to spew out small point sprite particles in the direction the sign was facing. Each sign had a coloured particle system to match so it looked like they were lit (sort of). The exact system isn't included as a prefab, but those were also made with UVFX.

50. hitmanchoi

hitmanchoi

awesome! thanks for the quick reply!