Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate VFX - Massive Visual Effects and Particle System Collection

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MirzaBeig, Aug 22, 2015.

1. callen

callen

Hey, I'm loving this asset so far! Looking at this demo video, could you tell me if the effect at 0:58 is in a demo scene? (its the same one from the video's title image) Or what the path to its prefab would be? I see lots of firey effects, but not this specific one that we really liked:

Edit: finally found it! "realistic explosion" is a one-shot effect in the main demo 1 scene.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    MirzaBeig likes this.
  2. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

@callen

Sorry I couldn't reply to you in time. But it's good you found it anyway! :)

Update:

I'm currently working on porting to Unity 2018.1 and adding in some new effects that take advantage of the latest particle system features introduced in the beta. The base port was basically flawless, so now I'm just updating the package.

For example, I've removed all the custom scripts ("ParticleSystems.cs, "DestroyOnParticlesDead.cs") since Unity is capable of doing what these scripts helped do before, and I just need to make updates to the prefabs. I'll leave the scripts in the package for now, but I've taken them off the prefabs.

Based on some feedback, I'm also shortening the names and folder structure of the asset. I'll leave a warning on the store page release notes indicating that users should not update if they've already started using UVFX in their projects.

hopeful likes this.
  3. rathpanyowat

rathpanyowat

Problem with the Shuriken to Spritesheet asset.

The editor tool didn't display correctly, and I can't scroll to the right of the panel, so I can't change the duration value. I'm quite newbie to Unity so I don't know how to fix the editor tool. Please suggest me on how to fix it.

My system is Mac High Sierra, Unity 2017.3.1f1

Update: I've a workaround by changing the size in OnGUI method. However, the exported png still not work as expected. And, Unity also crash quite often when exported.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  4. Kuhpik

Kuhpik

Hello @MirzaBeig !

Is Shuriken to Spritesheet working with unity 2017.3? Really want to buy it. Great asset! Thanks you for making that!

5. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hey @rathpanyowat,

S2S should automatically resize and adjust the GUI (please see the video in the next post). I've tested it on the latest beta version of Unity (2018.1b10), and it's still working fine. Is Unity giving you any specific errors?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  6. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hey @C9Suu,

Yes, it's working even with the latest beta in 2018. :)

Here's a video for everyone showing a very complex effect with 5000+ particles (that uses some new particle system features in 2018) being rendered into a spritesheet directly from Unity with transparency:

The end result is a particle system with a single particle.

But do make sure to read up on the public documentation if you want to be sure about the limitations. Specifically some things concerning additive blending. The effect rendered in the video uses a lot of additive blending shaders, but it was still fairly accurate colour-wise.

7. rathpanyowat

rathpanyowat

Hi @MirzaBeig,

Even when I started the new project and S2S is the only asset, it's still not work. And there is no error showed in the console. In this image, it is impossible to see the right side of the panel no matter how hard you tried. The only way (as far as I can do) to see is changing the line 286 of the editor script:

GUILayout.BeginArea(new Rect(0.0f, 0.0f, Screen.width - 15.0f, Screen.height + 256.0f));

to:
    GUILayout.BeginArea(new Rect(0.0f, 0.0f, Screen.width - 300f, Screen.height + 256.0f));

But it's still not feel normal after the change, it's really laggy when scroll and navigate through the panel. In my real project, it's also have errors when exported the sprite.

But never mind, I've managed to workaround with another asset. I don't use S2S right now. I think it has potential to be a good asset so I'll keep it without the refund request. But I hope you could fix the problem in your next release :)

Feel free to let me know if you want more information.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  8. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Ah, I think I see why now. It looks as if you have a very small screen resolution on the Mac. So even if you resize the window's width, it's still hiding the controls? What are the errors that you received when exporting? I'd like to fix any problems if possible.

9. rathpanyowat

rathpanyowat

Hi @MirzaBeig

Actually, that is the maximum size of the screen (almost the same size as full screen app). My laptop is MacBook pro 13" 2015. And resizing the window didn't solve it.

About the error, in this case I use one second particle (with Sprite Sheet animation - I'm not sure if this is the cause of the errors or not). The length didn't matter. I've tried to change but it still didn't work. The particle asset I used is "3D Games Effects Bundle 1" by Creepy Cat. When I exported the sprite sheet. I set the parameter as in this image:

And this is an image I got:

The errors are as following:

GUI Window tried to begin rendering while something else had not finished rendering! Either you have a recursive OnGUI rendering, or the previous OnGUI did not clean up properly.

InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
    System.Collections.Stack.Pop () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections/Stack.cs:329)

GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

ArgumentException: Getting control 60's position in a group with only 60 controls when doing Repaint
    Aborting
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/LayoutGroup.cs:115)
    Hope this help :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    MirzaBeig likes this.
  10. castor76

castor76

This asset does work.. But ! It doesn't work well for very short explosion like effects because it's life time is short.

If I want to record something that is 0.8f seconds long, but most of the effects are during first 0.2 seconds or so then it is not capturing enough animation details.

However, making the timescale of the particle to something like 0.1 can fix this issue.

So, the tool needs to be able to temp, override time scale of the effect so it can capture the necessary details. This is much needed feature of the tool. And it should be relatively very easy to implement.

11. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

@castor76

Did you reduce the duration of the recording to 0.8? If you did, then it will record a certain number of frames over that time depending on the texture settings. Let's say 64 frames for a duration of 1.0s, which means that each frame is capturing at a steprate of 0.015625s. There shouldn't be a need to override the timescale of the particles to get the timestep details since an accurate duration and frame count will automatically do that.

With 64 frames, you're capturing more frames than will be rendered in a 60fps game, which has a timestep of 0.016s. It should actually be smoother and allow a slightly higher duration when you setup the final particle system to render the spritesheet.

12. castor76

castor76

I can't make the duration less than 0.3 seconds. And yes I have tried to make the duration to 0.8 seconds. The point is that for some effects, the majority details of the effect can be at the beginning of the effects which can only capture few frames no matter what I do. Ability to adjust the time scale of the effects overall, gives much better and flexible method to capture the details along with duration and capture frame counts.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  13. neoshaman

neoshaman

what if the game has slowmo? :eek:

hopeful likes this.
  14. OreoSplitter

OreoSplitter

I'm completely new to particle systems. I have an issue where if I put one of the portal prefabs .1 distance from a black plane behind it, it loses a lot of brightness. It looks fine the editor with the particle play button but with the actual play button or builds, it's much darker. I messed around a bit trying to make sure particles weren't going through the plane, even tried collisions. Nothing seems to improve it.

Nevermind. I exported everything into a new project. Now the brightness stays identical to editor even at .1 distance from an object.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  15. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

If this is the case, I'll have to investigate further. Increasing the frame count should result in more details being captured due to the smaller timesteps taken for simulation. The end result should still be the same as applying a timescale change. I'll try check this out next week to confirm.

16. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

S2S can render up to 65536 frames in a single spritesheet (18 minutes of animation at 60fps), but in realistic cases you'll have to balance/tradeoff texture frame sizes. In a lot of games, you'll sometimes notice spritesheet frame steps due to frame rate changes suddenly, or slow-motion effects.

There are techniques that can help you get smooth animations without needing more frames, which I talk about in a video I made:

I also made a custom shader which I haven't yet released that uses a seperate texture to move pixels over the course of a particle's lifetime rather than just blending frames with alpha (optical flow): https://twitter.com/TheMirzaBeig/status/945408513551077376.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    hopeful likes this.
  17. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Glad you got it working. :)
    For future reference, this is likely due to the shader soft particle settings on the particle material.

They're super great for blending particles into geometry for smoke/fog and fire:

Essentially it's a depth test with geometry.

You can change the soft particle factor on the materials for the effect, or you can disable soft particles from the quality settings. If you don't use deferred rendering, soft particles are also disabled. The new project probably has a camera set to render to forward by default, which is why you can get the portal plane close to walls without fading. If you'd like to keep soft particles, I'd recommend changing the shader values or using another material preset while still using deferred rendering.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  18. hopeful

hopeful

Thank you for reminding about the animation blending, as I think I knew about that at one point but forgot.

Looking forward to your ASE particle shaders! :)

MirzaBeig likes this.
  19. OreoSplitter

OreoSplitter

You are right. Turning off soft particles I can have the portal .1 distance from an object (flattened sphere shape oval) and can still see the particles. I tried messing with the particle softness slider and while it does help some, at that close of a distance it has no affect. I guess I'll be glad I don't need soft particles.

20. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Awesome! You can also use a different shader for whichever particle systems you don't want to have soft particles. That way you don't have to have them disabled globally and can pick and choose.

21. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hey castor! Just reporting back in. I've done some tests with S2S where I aritificially inflated the maximum smooth playback duration of a particle system effect by upping the number of frames rendered for a realtime playback of 1.0s on the effect.

The main part of the effect was around 0.2s, and the result was that the rendered spritesheet could be played back smoothly even when set to last for 2.0s because I had more frames which recorded the intermediate time (256 frames). I'd recommend using animation blending if you need smoother frames.

Adjusting the timescale of the particle system shouldn't make a difference since the end effect is still the same where you get more in-between frames. You can test this out by setting all your systems in the effect to play at half simulation speed after rendering out a spritesheet with double the number of frames required for the playback duration of the unscaled effect. The results should be the same.

22. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Thanks for the detailed feedback!

I just looked into this again. Yes, the laptop screen you mentioned looks like it has a very low resolution, or the DPI is much different as indicated by the relatively large size of everything. For comparison, here's what Unity looks like for me:

upload_2018-4-26_19-16-1.png

And here's what it looks like for me if I squish the width of the S2S window:

upload_2018-4-26_19-17-22.png

But regarding the error, I tried rendering out a spritesheet by selecting a particle system that's parented to another
    system (similar to your effect's hierarchy), and S2S correctly rendered out only the selected sub-system, so I wasn't able to reproduce the problem.

upload_2018-4-26_19-19-3.png

I would test with the exact effect you're having trouble with to make sure, but I don't own Creepy Cat's package.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Quast likes this.
  23. Ericsheng

Ericsheng

Hi, I've been considering to buy this asset. But I wonder if it will support SRPs in the future some day? I decide to use the new rendering features in my next project.

24. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi @Abnsun

SRPs are still in too much of an experimental state for me to consider exactly how to approach them at this time. The real issue is that, if I understand them correctly, they require custom shaders for each template (lightweight, HD, and any custom variation the end user will have - leading to "infinite" possiblities). Many UVFX prefabs will actually still work with SRPs as-is. I've tested this myself using Unity 2018 and the experimental HD pipeline. But UVFX also has some custom shaders, and these would have to be replaced with the closest stock SRP shaders for the best transition. And a direct import from the store into an SRP-template project is messy business.

Unity is still working out how to approach SRP integration with assets on the store, and I doubt many other assets like mine will be able to quickly transition to supporting the built-in SRP templates without significant overhaul (particle-based assets, tools involving shaders, 3D models that use their own custom shaders rather than Unity's built-in PBR variations). Until then, I can't say for sure what I'll need to do.

That being said, Ultimate VFX is otherwise fully compatible with Unity 2018.1 (the default 2D and 3D modes that have always existed), and future releases will be for that version and higher. The latest version (v3.2) already uses new features found only in 2018.1's upgraded particle system.

I put in the little note at the top of the store page to make sure potential customers understood that it isn't ready for the experimental SRPs right now, unless they're willing to do some fix ups on their end. When SRPs are out of experimental/preview versions, I'll likely look into it again, and by then I hope Unity has some solutions from their end on guidelines for AS publishers.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Ericsheng and hopeful like this.
  25. NextGen007

NextGen007

Hello Mirza,

Seems like your asset Shuriken to Sprite sheet has some issues. I am not able to make it work. Two issues:
    [1] Not able to see your tool's full UI, its being chopped off like someone earlier pointed.
    [2] Its crashing Unity.

I just want to export few frames from another particle system and I am not able to do it.

I am happy to answer any of your questions to help you debug the issue. My simple requirement is to extract few textures for Cocos2d engine.

Thanks for your other tool Ultimate VFX ; )

26. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

@Entrepreneur

Hello!

1. Can you let me know what's your screen resolution?
    2. When does the error occur? Do you get any error messages?

27. NextGen007

NextGen007

Hello, thanks for the quick follow up, unfortunately by the time you replied I left for the day.
    [1] Here is the resolution detail - 1680 x 1050 (Mac Book Pro).
    Also, I tried other resolutions also but no luck there. Still, UI is chopped off from the right.

[2] I am attaching the screenshot where you can see settings, Unity version and few errors. Sometimes the unity just crashes so I have no clue how to share that info with you.

Also is there any guidelines for extracting textures for the game sprite. Optimized for tabs/mobile games.

Attached Files:

MirzaBeig likes this.
  28. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello Mirza,

I updated to Unity 2018.1.0f2 yesterday. Should I do some update for Ultimate VFX?
    Most Files seem to be from 10.10.2017 :)

Thanks

29. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

1. I'll look into this again. With that resolution it should be showing up.
    2. You can right-click on the console to get the editor log:

upload_2018-5-11_6-8-55.png

Regarding extracting textures, can you clarify for me what you mean? Do you mean what mobile particle textures should be like in relation to compression, size, etc?

I'll try and look into this again late next week. I'm currently on the last week of a major project which should be taken care of soon. I really hope I can reproduce these issues. The errors in the screenshot may be safe and something more on Unity's end, but I'm not sure how the entire editor is crashing. I really appreciate you working with me to get to the bottom of this!

30. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hey there. :)

You should stay on the version that's already in your project if you've already started using it. The latest version is 3.2.0, and you can check which version you have locally by looking at the readme for UVFX under _DOCS.

Here are some of the release notes for 3.2:
    upload_2018-5-11_6-17-31.png

This video shows off one of the new effects exclusive to 2018.1 and higher:

hopeful likes this.
  31. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Yes I am already using it. Can I just install upgraded stuff by using Directory compare and just use newer files or files that do not exist in my older Version?

32. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

If you're able to work with a duplicate/copy of your project, you can try this out to see if it's viable for you. That way, if it goes all wrong, you can just load up the backup.

33. NextGen007

NextGen007

@MirzaBeig Thank you for your response. I am hoping you'll fix it soon. I understand your commitments for the project.
    Can you let me know how I can extract sprites with a perfect loop? Seems like I can't see half of your editor values/options.
    I need to extract god rays effect from a particle with a perfect loop ; )
    If you're busy, I'll wait for your reply till you have some time.

34. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

For looping, you'll need to setup the particle system to accomodate that. For something like light rays, you can just render out a spritesheet, setup a new spritesheet particle system, and have it fade in and out at the start with overlapping particle spawns on the same system so it loops.

By the way, have you tried undocking the S2S window and resizing? Does that allow you to see the hidden params?

35. NextGen007

NextGen007

Yes I undocked it with the first use only. Same problem. Didn’t help me.

36. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

My scheduled finally cleared up. Time to get cracking on a nice new update for UVFX and S2S:

I'll be adding new features, bells, and whistles, and also looking into getting those issues reported fixed.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    arnoob and hopeful like this.
  37. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hey! Good news... sort of.

I just updated to the Unity 2018.2 beta (while tracking down a bug in Unity's particle system, no less...) and now I'm getting a similar issue to the reported editor window cutoff. At least I can now reproduce the issue to help kill it.

upload_2018-5-18_16-57-25.png

I also noticed that, once again, a lot of internal particle system AND editor "things" have been changed. Including something that I'm pretty sure I've patched up back and forth a few times already. I mean, seriously. I remember having an issue reported a while back, then fixing it, then getting another issue in another version because of an internal change with Unity's editor, and finding out the solution was close to REVERTING the previous change, and then later on having to RE-REVERT to the patch. Frustrations ensue. :)

But this new version of S2S is a major overhaul internally, so it should not only be faster, but more pleasant to use. Assuming that another breaking change doesn't take place from Unity's end.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    Firlefanz73, DrOcto and hopeful like this.
  38. hopeful

hopeful

Unity likes to break things, though. That's why we can't have good stuff. ;)

Seriously, though ... bless all you plugin devs who manage version change after version change!

DrOcto and MirzaBeig like this.
  39. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

New version is ready! The problems reported should be fixed. I no longer get the cutoff issue in 2018.2. Just doing some final cleanup and I'll most likely push to the store this week with a price bump.

Notable new features:

- Faster rendering.

- Better time controls. You can render a single frame, or a spritesheet using a range slider.
    - Improved UI + info on what you're creating (example: the FPS output and timestep helper labels).

- Better playback and preview settings. Although less performant, this one is actually better than Unity's own particle system playback window overlay because it can properly scrub and simulate complex system (prewarmed particles don't disappear).

- You can override the random seed for all selected systems without permanently changing the settings on the actual particle system components.

- Simulate spritesheet playback without having to render so you can see if the number of frames will be sufficient for your duration.

- Buttons for opening last rendered spritesheet and the save folder for quick previewing and file transfers.

- You can generate a new particle system gameobject pre-configured to match the settings of the spritesheet so you can quickly start using your new texture.

- Each setting group/section is in a foldout to save screen space when you need it.

- You can choose to show a guide that will render out the frame limits. This makes it easier to composite the target effects and make sure they don't go out of frame.

EDITOR:

s2s v2.png

TARGET:

upload_2018-5-20_13-16-25.png

RESULT (notice there's only one texture, and no multi-overdraw):

upload_2018-5-20_13-18-4.png

I want to make a tutorial/showcase video soon, too. ;)
    Hopefully I'll have that done this week.

Next I'll look into updating Ultimate VFX with a new modular constructor expansion pack so you can quickly drag and drop more basic prefabs to create complex efffects.

This is something I wanted to do a long time ago, but didn't have time for.

@NextGen007, @rathpanyowat,

If you'd like to try it now because of the issues you had, please send me a PM or e-mail with your invoices and I'll send over v2 ASAP. Thanks!

EDIT:

I've pushed the S2S update to the store. Awaiting approval.

EDIT 2:

The new v2.0.0 of S2S is now live on the store for ALL versions from 5.5 -> 2018.1 and up.

I'm currently working on the new constructor kit expansion (free update for Ultimate VFX). I've already added 68 new prefabs in multiple categories:

upload_2018-5-21_14-20-57.png

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    matteumayo, hopeful and DrOcto like this.
  40. DavoMyan

DavoMyan

Hi Mirza, David here, we spoke through e-mail, I will keep this forum section in mind. So far I'm loving the structure of how you have organised all the files for us to find :)

One note though, the updated Documentation on google docs seems small? There's way more information on the old one, forgot to also include them into the new doc? Thanks!

MirzaBeig likes this.
  41. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hey again!

I wanted to keep the new documentation precise, and thought it would have been too much information for the format. I may add some of the details back in again. I'm currently working on a massive new (and free) expansion for UVFX which already has 110+ prefabs that I've been configuring very carefully which might change some of what I put in the new doc.

hopeful likes this.
  42. hopeful

hopeful

Sounds great!

And there's new stuff Unity is rolling out all the time. I see on the roadmap that by the end of the year there will be "Particle System Ordered Mesh Emission."

MirzaBeig likes this.
  43. sekever-n00b

sekever-n00b

Hello!
    I havent even download the asset yet... Meanwhile, is it possible to have Magnetic Fields curved shapes-(sort of speak), (which would be great, like for Neutron Star)

Attached Files:

44. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

@sekever-n00b

Hello! Force field affectors are always spherical, but is this what you're looking to create?

You can do something very similar with the force field scripts. I'll have a video up soon (currently uploading with very slow speeds), but here's a screenshot:

upload_2018-6-9_9-53-25.png

You can probably do some careful configuration to better match a proper magnetic field. And if you don't need the realtime physics for the particles using force fields, then you can easily get that effect using just the circular emitter.

hopeful likes this.
  45. sekever-n00b

sekever-n00b

Nice!, definitely im gona tweak with it; scale, density (or duplicate),.... In the end of project its just for to make a spectacular picture (actually panorama background)

MirzaBeig likes this.
  46. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Here's the video if you want to see what it's like animated!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    wetcircuit likes this.
  47. spacebridge

spacebridge

Hi. I've bought the UVFX.
    I just ask about Particle Force Fields. I tested Attraction Force Field. It works fine. However, I couldn't make sequential multi attractions. If I have 3 attraction such as A, B and C. I just want each particle throw form A to B. Although it looks like following path, I want to make it with attraction. Please let me know is it possible with your assets.
    Thanks a lot.

48. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hey @spacebridge,

Yes, it's somewhat possible to do what you're describing, but as you've mentioned, this will be done with attraction and as a result it's unlikely you'll be able to easily configure the particles to flow exactly through the points as if it was an actual spline path. It's more of a rough guidance system using physics (not entirely unlike steering for cars in a racing game). I may experiment with "line physics" this week.

Here's a quick demo I made:

upload_2018-6-17_3-50-29.png

I've attached the prefab. It should link automatically with Ultimate VFX 3.2.

Attached Files:

49. zoltanBorbas

zoltanBorbas

Hi There!

I bought your asset(Ultimate VFX) during the last sale and i just got around to take a look at it and i must say it is amazing. I would have a couple questions, first i am interested to know if you have any plans(within 6 months) to produce an asset pack for scifi weapon effects (beams, projectiles, impact effects), particularity the like of those that would be suited for huge space ship battles (Babylon 5, Stargate, Star Trek... etc comes to mind). I ask because i am developing a 4x space strategy game and i am impressed by your asset quality. Second, since i am a total noob to particle systems, what would you suggest to scale your storm and weather effects for a terrain of 2500*2500 size? Should i spread the same weather prefab evenly across the area, or try to scale the prefab itself by any particular parameter or the prefab scale itself? It is for various planet's surface (Volcanic, Arctic etc).

Thank you for your time and for your excellent asset pack.

Well scratch the last one, i found the scaler. Its important to read the READ ME files (embarrassed ). I should have learned that lesson already. Still interested in the weapon effects though.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    MirzaBeig likes this.
  50. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi @zoltanBorbas!

While this is something I would like to do eventually, I don't currently have any solid plans to do this within the next 6 months.

I wouldn't recommend you place multiple prefabs throughout the scene. Instead, take a look at The Last Particle demo that's included. It has a decently-sized terrain and "gameplay" area during a storm.

Instead, have a prefab that you tweak follow your player/camera around. Set the particle to world space if they aren't already simulating that way. This is how almost all games do effects like this (even today). With the right settings, it's convincing enough for players. Let me know if you have any other questions about this. :)

unityunity