Search Unity

Ultimate Rope Editor - New powerful rope physics for Unity3D [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UGTools, Feb 11, 2013.

1. tuomaslo

tuomaslo

Has anyone figured out solution for physics going crazy with 5.4+ yet? Haven't been able to contact the developer :(

2. thalleri

thalleri

I am struggling same problem as tuomaslo above. Have this going crazy problem solved yet?

3. sgower

sgower

Have you tried messing with the nColliderSkip values?
    ur.RopeNodes[0].nColliderSkip = 2;

I believe my ropes went crazy when a value less than 2 was used. The problem with the Collider skip is that other objects can easily pass through the ropes. I want to be able to put rings on the rope, and have them not pass through.

I haven't messed with this Asset in a few months, but just tried to create some new ropes just now, and even with the values below, the ropes were a little jumpy. I'd love to know techniques for making them more chill.

Also, is ur.TotalRopeLength the correct way to set the distance? This didn't seem to work when I just tried it. How do we set the rope length?

FYI, in case anyone is interested, here's some code for created a rope from code. I'm not sure the doc had a good example for this. Regarding interacting with the Dev, he answered my email once, but then I had trouble getting him to respond to additional questions.

Code (CSharp):
    1.  public static void createRopeGameObject selectedObject1, GameObject selectedObject2) {
    3.         GameObject ropeObject = new GameObject();
    4.         UltimateRope ur = ropeObject.AddComponent<UltimateRope>();
    6.         float distance = Vector3.Distance(selectedObject1.transform.position, selectedObject2.transform.position);
    7.         distance = distance + .03f;
    9.         ur.RopeStart = selectedObject1;
    10.         ur.CreateNewNode(-1);
    11.         ur.RopeNodes[0].goNode = selectedObject2;
    12.         ur.RopeNodes[0].nColliderSkip = 2;
    13.         ur.RopeNodes[0].nNumLinks = 50;
    14.         //ur.RopeNodes[0].eColliderType=
    15.         ur.LinkMass = 5;
    16.         ur.LinkJointSpringValue = 10f;
    17.         ur.LinkJointMaxForceValue = 10f;
    18.         ur.RopeMaterial = LogsUtil.getLogMaterial();
    19.         ur.TotalLinks = 50;
    20.         ur.TotalRopeLength = distance;  //was 3
    21.         ur.RopeDiameter = .03f;
    22.         ur.Regenerate();
    23.         var rigidbodies = ur.GetComponentsInChildren<Rigidbody>();
    24.         foreach (var rb in rigidbodies) {
    25.             rb.drag = 1f;
    26.             rb.angularDrag = 1f;
    27.             rb.velocity = new Vector3(0f, 0f, 0f);
    28.         }
    29.         ropeObject.GetComponent<SkinnedMeshRenderer>().material = selectedObject1.GetComponent<Renderer>().material;
    30.     }

Tony-Lovell and red2blue like this.
  4. Zaki_X

Zaki_X

Hi!

I'm trying to make this plugin to work with Unity 5.5.1f1 and after adding colliders (box/capsule) to my line it always go crazy. I've been playing with it for a couple of hours now and kept changing all settings, but I think there's a bug of some sort.

Ps. Can I make lines created with your plugin to be moved by the "wind zones"? I would like to achieve an effect of electrical cables swinging on the wind.

Mike

5. dwaldrum

dwaldrum

Unfortunately the developer of this asset has been gone for a long time, the asset is abandoned and it is not working in the latest versions of Unity.

6. sgower

sgower

What version of Unity are you using? Because I'm using 5.6b9 and this asset is working for me. I'm using a somewhat modified version of the code I posted above (I tweaked some things, but offhand can't remember what I changed), and it's working reasonably well. I'm still seeing a bit of wacky rope behavior when the rope is first created, but it then settles down and works fairly well. I have a feeling that this rope asset works about as well as it could given the limitations of Unity physics. Rope is a complex type of object and so we're a long way off from being able to create rope that behaves in a completely realistic manner.

akareactor, red2blue and hopeful like this.
  7. Duffking

Duffking

Is it possible to use this asset to exert a pulling force? For example if I link a rope between two cubes and move one cube away from the other, rather than the rope going absolutely crazy it pulls the other end of the rope with it?

Edit: Actually I have it. Though it's a little... funky. Trick is to uncheck iskinematic on the endpoints of the rope and then make the cube a child of the endpoint. It works, sort of. But it's very glitchy when pulling on one end. Any suggestions on how to make it nice and smooth?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  8. JonLo

JonLo

Also it looks like lowering the FixedUpdate time improves the rope physics. "Edit/Project settings/time/Fixed time step"

9. jgwinner

jgwinner

I'm SO glad I read the forum, was about to purchase this. I need to simulate a garden hose. Stability is a huge issue!

== John ==

Scifa and doq like this.
  10. RaynaldM

RaynaldM

What is the best way to set a coil and rope with an initial length, like we have rotated the coil to the end of rope (empty coil).
    Eg : a coil length = 11 units, and rope end distance = 10 unit (in fact end of rope is just 1 unit up the ground)

11. RSH1

RSH1

When I move the 'Rope Start' location manually, the rope physics mess up (rope becomes 'jagged') and the rope extends by itself. Is there any way to stop this happening?

12. marcos

marcos

Is there an elegant solution to use this with playmaker?

I just want to extend the rope from playmaker and then retract it. Would be good to have proper integration

13. Galahad

Galahad

Good afternoon. How could I make it work with a very heavy object, like a 300000 mass Ship?

14. akareactor

akareactor

Spent all day long to find a solution to avoid this "crazy rope" effect. Have two issues with Unity 5.6.2.f1:

1) Set a length of rope's segment precise (my way is accurate to tenths) equal to a distance between objects of "Segment End" field.
    2) Set a value of "Link Mass" field a small as 0.001 value

Rope acts predictably in this case, I believe :)

15. AntLewis

AntLewis

So has support for this now ceased? Looking at the asset store, it's still on sale and was last tested against Unity 5.6..

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  16. 600

Can be done with Call Method action, dropdown void.ExtendRope.

Works with Unity 5.6.3 too, also got an email support reply in 10 minutes today, so it’s not ceased.

17. Bevan

Bevan

Hi All,
    I am interested in purchasing this for a new project I am starting and was wondering if anyone has tried it in Unity 2017? I used the contact form on the developers site to ask about Unity 2017 support but have not had a reply as yet so I thought I would ask here if anyone had tried it out?

18. WallaceT_MFM

WallaceT_MFM

Hey there, we have this asset running in 2017.1p4. It takes a little tweaking of the params on the rope script, but that's to be expected with this style of rope. My only issue with it so far is that the extensible rope I'm trying to work with doesn't extend to the length it is supposed, it goes one segment longer than it should. All the other issues I see other people have are due to how PhysX (as implemented in Unity) handles joints. Crane simulation is pretty tricky, but if you just want some basic ropes, it's good. You might try PM'ing the dev here; looking at his profile, he was last seen 2 days ago (as of this writing).

EDIT: For posterity, one trick I've found that improves stability is to make sure that the angular limits are not zero on any of the axes. For example, I want a cable that doesn't twist, but setting the angular Z limit to zero results in major instability, so I just changed the limit to 15 degrees. That's mostly not-twisting, and the joints don't freak out because they need to twist slightly but can't because of their constraints.

EDIT2: Just ran into a big issue. It seems that the meshes generated by the extensible ropes are not saved when you save prefabs. I'll update if I find a fix for this.

EDIT3: Ok, looks like you MUST call rope.Regenerate(true) whenever you instantiate a new prefab with the rope as a child. Unfortunately, doing this resets the position of the rope nodes. Regenerate claims that calling it as rope.Regenerate(false) would not reset the node positions, but that's not true. AFAICT, the only difference is that false throws errors (that are also incorrect) about the length of the rope segment, but still resets the nodes. Fortunately for me, I can work with this; the default position for my ropes is at the top of the crane, so people will just need to lower it. If we need it to start at some other position, I'll have to call rope.ExtendRope(...) afterwards. Some black-fade frames could cover that up, but if anyone else has a situation where that isn't good enough, I'm not sure what you can do. Maybe you can get away with calling Regenerate(...) and ExtendRope(...) in Awake()?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  19. Intrawebs

Intrawebs

Is this supported on PS4/XBOX and Switch? I found another rope asset that is just as slick as this one but it's native code and these consoles are not supported. Let me know, thanks!

20. TiToMoskito

TiToMoskito

I dont know if this product fit my need's so i want to ask some questions.

- Is it possible to create the Rope in Runtime not only Editor Mode?
    - Can i connect two GameObjects which have maybe an Rigidbody attached?
    - Can i extend the Rope in Runtime, for example the player holds one end of the rope and walks to extend it to X meter?
    - When the Rope is to long, can it be roll up?
    - Can the Rope tear, when the carried object is to heavy?
    - Is it possible to sync it over the network?

21. lod3

lod3

Sorry to necro my own thread from 2013, but was curious if this was ever implemented. I read the documentation, but nothing about exporting static wires was mentioned. Please advise.

Edit: Missed the part where the developer hasn't answered questions on this thread in over a year. Oh well. Another for my deprecated list.

22. Agent000

Agent000

Would this work if I wanted to make 2D ropes on a UI canvas, hanging between two points?

23. Tony-Lovell

Tony-Lovell

Thanks for the helpful snippet. I have had problems with this asset for a few years, but will give it one last go. I think my own needs may be better met by another asset, as I generally just do fairly taut lines and wires, and stability has been the problem here.

24. Wattosan

Wattosan

Hey,

Just purchased this and I am having problems in 2 cases:
    1) I tried to create a procedural rope from zero. In play mode the rope goes totally crazy.
    2) I opened a sample scene "Simple Rope" and tried it in play mode. All good. Then I tried to duplicate the brown rope. When entering play mode, the rope goes haywire again.

A link to the video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g5IqMNJ2ehsY6ffgS9pc7rXbLbae7M0_

I wonder if the issue is that they are sharing the same mesh.

Any help would be much appreciated!

25. analogupstudios

analogupstudios

Good morning/evening [respectively]. I purchased the Ultimate Rope Editor tool for a FPS I am creating and can't seem to get the physics correct for a falling rope from an elevated surface. I have a helicopter prefab that drops the rope from a hovering above round position and enemies descend it. However, when I 'drop the rope' [Note: I added a Rigidbody to the end link] it never 'settles'. It just infinitely bounces around like a spring no matter what settings I change. Is there any tutorials I can watch on the subject to clarify?

26. Dr-Nick

Dr-Nick

There has been a new release of the asset 1.30 (Current) - released on December 08, 2021.
    Seems to running okay in Unity 2021.1