Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Inventory System C#

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JohnParask, Jul 7, 2014.

?

Would you buy it for $10 ?

Poll closed Feb 23, 2015.
  1. Yes

45 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Maybe

27 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. No

45 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. Solist

Solist

I have to say this is an impressive asset for the $10, it has certainly helped me to improve on how i should approach the whole inventory/loot system, i started heavily modding it and then realized you were still heavily updating it to the stuff i'd just modded. aahahah.

2. Solist

Solist

p.s. you wouldn't happen to have an estimate on the new patch including the character page/item tooltips/stacking system? :p

3. JohnParask

JohnParask

Hey, yes i heavily update Ultimate Inventory & Crafting system ;) .

The patch is submitted and it would be available as soon as Asset Store Administrators accept it.

Solist and Jaqal like this.
  4. JohnParask

JohnParask

Guys, get a sneak peek from my upcoming kit

5. Solist

Solist

this is for your fps layout? I can't wait to see how you're going to run the temperature option :p

6. JohnParask

JohnParask

Yeap :D

That is my layout for my kit, the moving physics are implemented, also the stamina,hunger,thirst system is implemented as well as the health system.

My aim now is the temperature system, then i will work with weapon physics.

P.S I did some research about human body temperature because i will really make a detailed and realistic system.

7. Solist

Solist

amazing how a few degrees can make such an impact o_O.

Is that a w,a,s,d form of movement and you've implemented the forces?

Also, for the temperature gauge, do you think you would have to take into account factors such as wind, ambient air temperature, height (altititude - related to ambient temperature), or even clothing? Just a few ideas if you don't have any :p.

8. JohnParask

JohnParask

The movement system is using a C# version of fps controller heavily modified, the actual system is controlled through my PlayerSystem script. [Using Character Controller]

9. JohnParask

JohnParask

Ofcourse, right now im working on clothing and on world's temperature, The height idea is brilliant.

10. MrIntel

MrIntel

This is looking cool like that your making it as real as you can :D.

JohnParask likes this.
  11. Solist

Solist

bed time for me, hoping to wake up to some new toys to play with :p.

JohnParask likes this.
  12. JohnParask

JohnParask

Good night ;)

Sure, i still working until late ;)

13. Solist

Solist

also, just a heads up incase you do want to implement a height feature, the temperature at sea level is said to be 15 degrees celcius, raising another degree celcius for every 1000 feet, or you could say 6 degrees for every 1000 metres.

and again, good night to you *tips hat*

JohnParask likes this.
  14. JohnParask

JohnParask

That's a good idea, i will make this as the default solution, however users would be able to change it through inspector

15. JohnParask

JohnParask

For anyone who interest here is a list for the system so far.

Movement system with Sprint,Crouch,Walk.
    Footstep sounds for different materials.
    Different footstep speed for running,walking.
    Different footstep volume for crouching , walking , running.
    Headbob animations for walking , running , jumping.
    Health, Hunger , Thirst , Stamina and Temperature system.
    Bloodscreen effect.
    Health regeneration only if body temperature is 36°C.
    Advanced Stamina & Thirst & Hunger system, with different values for idle, walking, running and jumping.
    Advanced body temperature system.
    Global temperature script which set the temperature for the whole scene.
    Temperature zone systems which set the temperature inside a specific area.
    Advanced GUI for all status.
    Jump & Land sounds.
    Campfire system with : Sound when starting the fire, sound when it is on fire. Duration for the fire which can be restored by placing wood [Soon with GUI].You can warm your self and make sure your temperature is 36°C by standing near the fire but getting too close will warm you dangerously. If you touch the fire you get hurt.
    Smooth body temperature changing.
    Breathing system which contains : Breath animations for camera & for the equipped weapon and breath sound. Your breath speed and sound will change if your body temperature is not normal or if you loose health or if you are out of stamina.
    Dynamic weapon sway system.
    The system will have the Ultimate Inventory & Crafting system very soon, also the system will contain furnace system and UI for placing wood on the campfir
    e.

P.S : Ultimate Inventory & Crafting is already submitted.

Jaqal likes this.
  16. MrIntel

MrIntel

That is awesome are planning on adding anything else?

17. Solist

Solist

jesus, that escalated quickly :p.

MrIntel likes this.
  18. JohnParask

JohnParask

Yeap, that is only the beginning, the system will also contain : Tree cutting system, rock & iron(or any other metal) smashing system, farm system, tree planting system. Also it would support Melee weapons, pistols, shotguns, assault rifles.

Yeap, i did a lot of work recently.

19. Solist

Solist

do you know when the update that contains the character page will be hitting the asset store? not too sure how long unity usually takes with accepting things :p.

20. JohnParask

JohnParask

They said 3 days+. So we are very close ;)

Solist likes this.
  21. Solist

Solist

guess that gives me some time to keep making more models xD.

JohnParask likes this.
  22. Aidenjl

Aidenjl

Have you tried to do a stalker system yet? :p

JohnParask and Solist like this.
  23. Solist

Solist

i lol'd at your comment Aiden :p.

I have another question about the movement system, does it have any measures put in place to take into account for slopes? ie. mountains, cliffs, hills, and such.

JohnParask likes this.
  24. JohnParask

JohnParask

Nope, it would need a lot of time and the money i made from this system does not really worth it :(

I don't really get your question. Explain ? :)

25. Solist

Solist

say you were to start walking up a slope(mountain/path) to get to a higher height on your map. Usually you'll put a mountain or something in the way to prevent you from walking to certain areas of the map, with the unity engine it tends to allow a character to still walk up a slope/mountain/cliff because it has a slope the person would walk up the side of the mountain rather than stopping(logically you wouldn't be able to walk up a certain angle/slope due to gravity and friction :p). the crouch and everything should work for a more or less flat map though.

JohnParask likes this.
  26. Solist

Solist

I've been looking into it and I believe one of the best ways to run it is with a ray cast that detects the slope of the ground either underneath your character or directly infront of the character. The only problem with this is that if the raycast isn't going directly down(meaning it's going to some point infront of the character), you have to find a way of making the raycast detect that distance but from all directions around your character, this would help to prevent the character from walking up cliffs/mountains from all directions of movement :p. I'll try to find a decent link for you.

JohnParask likes this.
  27. JohnParask

JohnParask

Yes, i should add a feature to prevent it. If you can please post a link.

28. Solist

Solist

29. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

is there inventory like diablo/ path of exile ??
    is there inventory like divine divinity? / ... (one of the ultimas i dunno which one exactly)

oh i guess not..

if you were to maybe make it a seperate project (so as to sell what you have now AND what im saying, at different price points, itd be awesome) I dont think theres a Diablo style inventory on the asset store?? .. or there wasnt in like february? .. i was looking for one..

personally, i find the single box slot inventory to be dated and boring, and me and my buddy both agree we'd never use it in a game.. lol.. not that ive made anything better .. .yet..
    lol we were hardcore dissing on divinity, original sin.. like "WTF it should have diablo inventory F this game!!" loool and "divine divinity inventory is the Ultimate! wtf this game doesnt have it" ..
    but yeah... we're the type, we play games TOO MUCH! haha, so we nitpick everything (games in general are getting boring, but still play em lol)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    JohnParask likes this.
  30. Jaqal

Jaqal

That's the only reason I haven't bought this package yet. I just can't use an inventory system where a small item takes the same space as a large item. I need to have items take up more than one slot space and still have a weight limit.

JohnParask likes this.
  31. Solist

Solist

To get that to work you would have to assign each and every item a predetermined size (in squares) to relate to the general size of that object, would be interesting to see how hard it would be to make it check if something else is in the way, whether it will actually fit in the slot, what is it going to do when you drop it on another object and so on.

I can understand why it would be increasingly difficult to go for this approach.

JohnParask likes this.
  32. Jaqal

Jaqal

Good points. One path would be an option to make larger items take up more than one slot by putting an empty item next to it(no textures or stats). Then parenting that empty item to it acting as one when moving it in the inventory. As far as other items in the way it would act as it already does and not let you place the item.

JohnParask likes this.
  33. Solist

Solist

soon enough Greek will be able to sell multiple assets with the stuff we're pumping him with xD.

JohnParask and Jaqal like this.
  34. Jaqal

Jaqal

He already has one of the best inventory systems on the store! Last I checked his is the only crafting system as well and both together for only $10 is an absolute steal. Whenever someone needs inventory or crafting I point them here now.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    JohnParask and Solist like this.
  35. JohnParask

JohnParask

Thanks for your feedback, as i can see crowd needs diablo like inventory, and i will give a hard try :)

However i don't know whether i should make it as a standalone system or as a plug in for the current inventory, as a standalone would be easier.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  36. Solist

Solist

depends on how you look at it, if you make it all one script it's taking up more space.

if you run it as a standalone it allows you to keep the data a bit more clean.

you either lose space or time :p.

Unity staff wouldn't have been in on a weekend i'm assuming :p.

JohnParask likes this.
  37. JohnParask

JohnParask

I will make it as standalone else i have to re-write the whole system and might some features are not compatible.

P.S :

RealSoftGames and Jaqal like this.
  38. Solist

Solist

for only having started that a few days ago you are going well :p.

can't wait to get my dirty hands on these :3

Do you think putting a 3rd person camera attachment for the camera would still hold the same gui properly?

39. JohnParask

JohnParask

Sure, but i don't have a model right now, later i would get a free animated from the asset store and i would make it support animations.

40. Solist

Solist

ahhh.
    I'm assuming you already know most of the script behind doing that? :p
    also, does the asset store just automatically change the version number when it updates or does it create a new asset in the store?

41. JohnParask

JohnParask

The script for animations for 3d person it is quite simple.
    When you submit an update you have to change the version number and i think the asset store replace the old one.

42. Solist

Solist

something you might want to give a try as well is making it possible for the person to move the inventory and character windows around on the screen and also having the ability to resize them in game.

just an idea :p.

i'm also curious if you've tried implementing a Screen.width/n , Screen.height/n approach for scaling your windows? :p

43. Solist

Solist

btw guys. The new patch for UInventory is out :D.

currently working on making a shop script if you're interested Greek :).

JohnParask likes this.
  44. JohnParask

JohnParask

Guys the new patch is available but there is one small problem. Please follow the following steps.

Open the UI_LootableEditor.cs and at the top of the script before everything type : " #if UNITY_EDITOR " and then go at the end of the script bellow everyhing and type " #endif ".

Then do the same for the UI_ItemEditor.cs.

Sorry for forgetting to add this.

45. Solist

Solist

hey there greek, sorry to disturb but i was curious how i can go about reorganising the position of the equipment slots, when i use the equipment slots position even for x = 1 it causes all of my equipment slots to disappear :O.

also did you add in the ability to open a chest and find a loot table inside of it that holds items that you can drag and drop items into your inventory from? I'm assuming this is the lootable script? :p

46. JohnParask

JohnParask

Yes, there is a container on the example scene.

Did you move the slots from here ?

because if you change the scroll settings then you are actually changing the scrollarea

47. Solist

Solist

I was referring to the slot position in the show equipment options the option name "equipment slots position :"

48. JohnParask

JohnParask

Are you sure that they just don't moved out of the screen ? Because i move them normally

49. Solist

Solist

ok, it does work, you just have to make sure you change it before you start testing it in play mode :p, if you try to change it during play it'll go crazy and leave the screen (taking your inventory with it xD)

What i mean't by changing the position of the slots is say maybe i want to put my head piece in the top center of my character equipment page, put my chest piece on the left center of my equip page, put my legs on the left center of the equip page and put the boots in the center bottom of the equip page :).

JohnParask likes this.
  50. Solist

Solist

yeah mine were moving off the screen but it's all good so long as i change it before i start playing :p

JohnParask likes this.