Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Inventory System C#

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JohnParask, Jul 7, 2014.

?

Would you buy it for $10 ?

Poll closed Feb 23, 2015.
  1. Yes

45 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Maybe

27 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. No

45 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. Aidenjl

Aidenjl

I know this is very hard, but if you were up for it I think you could charge a-lot more for your inventory. The idea is:

Add a feature that allows for a Stalker style inventory so Items can take up different ammounts of room in the inventory:
    http://guides.gamepressure.com/stalkerclearsky/gfx/word/1784257203.jpg

I believe that this would greatly increase the value of the product (I am going to buy this any minute now by the way) And I will be willing to pay again if you implement this. :D

2. Jaqal

Jaqal

First off I want to say that for the price you seem to be offering a very good product. I have already started working on my own system but this seems very close to what I want anyway and will save me a lot of time! I have only one question before purchasing. In my inventory system I need to use item weight and item size simultaneously. I see that you have both but i'm not sure if they can be used at the same time. To make sure I am being clear I want every item to have a weight but only be able to carry so many of certain items. For example only carrying two axes because they are large items while still using weight. Is that possible with you system at the moment?

3. MrIntel

MrIntel

What will your FPS kit have because i have a working weapon system problem is im having trouble keep the current rounds that a weapon has when switching to other items. Either way looking forward to the player equipment system.

4. JohnParask

JohnParask

Yes, it is very hard but after finishing some changes i will try it out.
    Thanks for your feedback :D

I didn't fully understand your question, anyway, in the current version you can use slot mode (you select the max slots), or weight mode (you select the max weight), so if i understood correct my system does not support what you said. Be more specific and i will give a try to implement what you want.

Thanks for your feedback :)

The FPS kit would be a huge project (which means it would take a lot of time to be completed), some of the features are :
    • Advanced Player Moving System [Including headbob, animations]
    • Advanced Weapon Physics [Including : Melee, Semi-Automatic, brust mode , fully-automatic, sniper rifle, and the bullet physics would be realistic.
    • Survival features such as : Tree cutting system, rock smashing (gathering) system, Building system.
    • Player's body feelings : Hunger, Thirst , Cold.
    • It would probably contain this Inventory and crafting system [with some modifications]
    and many more things which will be decided :)

TheGnawers likes this.
  5. Aidenjl

Aidenjl

Thanks for the response! :D Also I haven't checked, does it support item stacking?

6. JohnParask

JohnParask

Not yet, but it is on the to-do list :)

7. TheGnawers

TheGnawers

In the fortunate event this system becomes a reality, it seems I will be void of money from my wallet yet again. Within the past few years, the community for survival games has grown a lot, and now people are in the market for easy solutions to start theirs. Now granted, there are a few kits here you will be competing with, UFPS and The Realistic FPS Prefab (let's refer to this as RFP, shall we?). Now, through personal experience with both kits I feel I can give you a few ideas on how to make this product better than these two.

Let's take a look at both kits and weigh their PROs and CONs. We will start with UFPS.

UFPS.jpg

(https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/2943)

According to UFPS, "Featuring the SMOOTHEST CONTROLS and the most POWERFUL FPS CAMERA available for Unity, Ultimate FPS is an awesome script pack for achieving that special AAA FPS feeling. A fantastic way to enhance your FPS - or get you started on a new one!".

That's pretty much the reason I bought this pack, and it does live up to the description. The camera is definitely smooth, no jitters whatsoever. It also provides an easy-to-use weapon system that can be used to create different weapons in under a few minutes, include the feature to adjust parameters such as damage, swing time for melee weapons), bullet physics etc. And while I would say it is a great product for starting your own FPS game, it is far from AAA (as if the term has value anyways). They claim "smooth", but it is too smooth, and quite frankly, too polished. There is no easy way to describe they way UFPS feels, other than it is NOT realistic. This package would be more useful for old school 90's shooters, rather than modern day FPS games. It's not rugged, put it that way, and wouldn't be useful for survival games (Rust, DayZ etc).

So the PRO's:
    - It's a great kit for the money.
    - Provides a ton of adjustable features.
    - Scripts are easily read and well commented.
    - You can modify and use the code in any commercial product.
    - The melee system is powerful.
    - Camera system is also powerful.

CON's:
    - The "Inventory System" is anything but one, and not really an inventory at all.
    - The overall feel is too polished and smooth, there is no ruggedness.
    - (This one really got to me) There is only ONE arm! Even on two handed weapons the player holds up the weapon with one arm.
    EX:
    UFPS2.jpg
    - This system doesn't support external inventory systems, and is quite difficult to integrate your own.
    - No character model/animations, just an arm floating in the air.

Overall this product is great for arcade shooters, but nothing else.

Next, let's take a look at RFP (Realistic FPS Prefab).

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/7739

(I can't provide a picture, the forum won't let me).

According to RFP: "The Realistic FPS Prefab is an easy way to implement the core features of first person games into your Unity projects with a few mouse clicks. Set up is quick and just requires dragging and dropping the FPS object into your scene and assigning a layer to collision geometry.

The asset has been designed with a focus on keeping scripts customizable from the inspector and ensuring that gameplay is smooth and intuitive. The Realistic FPS Prefab is a great learning tool and template for FPS games!"

Overall, RFP pleased me more than UFPS did along the lines of "Realistic". Although, it is far from that, it does live up to it's name in providing a more versatile kit for modern day shooters. It provides a certain ruggedness, unlike UFPS that pleased me the most. The head-bob isn't tremendous, which if you haven't noticed, is realistic. I'm not sure how many people pay attention to this, but when you're walking down the street, you can hardly notice any bobbing (In real life, of course). And the footsteps aren't super loud and thundering either (which again, is also realistic, or maybe I'm just light on the feet?). This kit also provides two arms, opposed to one, even on one handed weapons like handguns and knives. Again however, there is no support for an external inventory neither a character model.

PRO's:
    - Realistic.
    - Suited for modern day survival games/FPS.
    - Better camera features.
    - Not as polished.
    - Code is commented well.

CON's:
    - No external inventory support.
    - No character model.
    - Very, VERY difficult to add another weapon.

So as you can see, each of these products has it's fair share of PRO's, and CON's. The prospect of including an inventory, crafting and building system in you kit alone is enough to make it sell, and seals the deal for me. And that's not counting the tree chopping and rock smashing. So including those, you could make a very good FPS KIT. A thing to note however, I'm not sure if it is just me, but there are already to big kits right now, and they go like this:

UFPS - Not realistic.

RFP - A little realistic.

This leaves one thing: Realistic.

I hope you take the time and consider what I have to say because my fingers hurt from typing now. If you made a kit with the above features AND made it realistic, it would sell. No doubt.

Have a good one,
    Gnaw

RealSoftGames and JohnParask like this.
  8. JohnParask

JohnParask

Hey Gnawers,

Thanks for your long feedback and your time, yes i really get what you meant and i will try to make the new kit which will fill out what it is missing.
    What i will try to do is to make a kit which will allows you to make a AAA game in a very small time since you will be able to replace the weapons, the animations. The kit will also have AI, for both enemies and nature animals, i will also add fishing and many more which will be revealed soon.

John-G and TheGnawers like this.
  9. TheGnawers

TheGnawers

Beautiful.

JohnParask likes this.
  10. MrIntel

MrIntel

That is awesome everything that i need for my game for now i will just try to work with what i have.

JohnParask and TheGnawers like this.
  11. Jaqal

Jaqal

Yea basically what I was asking for is the same thing as Aidenjl with the Stalker type inventory so that items take up space but still have a weight as well. It just seems unrealistic to me when someone can carry 8 rifles or something like that because they are so large.

JohnParask and Aidenjl like this.
  12. TheGnawers

TheGnawers

Not sure about that, seems like it would be very difficult and time taking to do. I'd rather have this and the FPS Kit before that.

JohnParask likes this.
  13. TheGnawers

TheGnawers

Another couple of things I thought of, nothing really special, just thought it would be a nice touch.

For the FPS Kit:
    - Animations with hands would be nice. Like in OMAs premium kit, how the hands are visible when you sprint, doing that up and down animation.
    - Should be able to adjust reload time. Some people tend not to know this. but you don't reload in two seconds. (You have to take out the magazine, put it back in the pouch/pocket, pull out a new one and then cycle the action).
    - Footstep system would be nice, and not a constant thump either, maybe sound of clothes rustling, like in Call of Duty?
    - Blood splatter on screen.

I'll try to think of some more, I've got nothing else to do.

JohnParask likes this.
  14. Jaqal

Jaqal

It seems like all he would have to do is allow items to be able to take up more than one slot which doesn't sound very difficult. It would be kind of silly if a rocket launcher took up the same space as a knife.

JohnParask likes this.
  15. JohnParask

JohnParask

Stalker type inventory is not that easy but i will give a try as soon as i finish the current update.

Thanks for your feedback, the above features are already on my list :)

16. blueivy

blueivy

Do you have an ETA for that FPS kit because that sounds EXACTLY like what I've been wanting in my survivor game!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  17. JohnParask

JohnParask

It is not even close, i had some work and i will continue the development on 2 days.

18. Aidenjl

Aidenjl

So what are you adding in the next update of the inventory system?

JohnParask likes this.
  19. JohnParask

JohnParask

Players Equipment, some bug fixes on the crafting & drag and drop system.

Aidenjl likes this.
  20. TheGnawers

TheGnawers

So sometime by the end of the year, hopefully?

JohnParask likes this.
  21. rchassereau

rchassereau

Just a minor suggestion, but it seems a little non-intuitive to use mouse1 to toggle drag/drop. Would make more sense, to me at least, to have single left mouse click to drag, and double-left mouse click to drop. Great asset and looking forward to your FPS/Survival kit!

JohnParask likes this.
  22. JohnParask

JohnParask

Yes, i think until then it would be ready.

23. MMortal

MMortal

Ofcourse I would spend $10 on this it is an excellent inventory system and would save a ton of time in trying to figure this out on my own. Great job!

JohnParask, Aidenjl and Jaqal like this.
  24. JohnParask

JohnParask

Thank you very much :)

Sorry for being inactive for a short period of time, now i will keep developing, new update very soon.

Jaqal and Aidenjl like this.
  25. Aidenjl

Aidenjl

I don't understand why people have said that they won't spend $10 on this. It is a ridiculously good offer compared to the other alternatives on the market. So yeah definately worth $10! :D

John-G, Jaqal and JohnParask like this.
  26. blueivy

blueivy

I agree!

Jaqal and JohnParask like this.
  27. JohnParask

JohnParask

item preview on mouse over

John-G, Aidenjl and rchassereau like this.
  28. rchassereau

rchassereau

Very cool, will there be a size limit to how large the item preview can be? I have relatively long (like 200+ character count) descriptions for some items and would love being able to fit them in there.

29. JohnParask

JohnParask

The size of the preview box is customizable, i don't really like to limit the user of my assets when they called "Ultimate" ;)

Also the stats of the item are automatic added into the description if you like.

Jaqal and rchassereau like this.
  30. Aidenjl

Aidenjl

Looking great!

31. Aidenjl

Aidenjl

So can we declare our own custom attributes for items and also can we put things into item groups so different item groups have different attributes. Such as:
    If an item is in the armour group it will have the attributes:
    • Armour
    • Weight
    But if it is say in the food group it will have:
    • Food Value
    • Health Value
    • Weight

JohnParask and Jaqal like this.
  32. JohnParask

JohnParask

You can do that, just add the food value on the description and then on the custom activation script you can get the food value from the activated/eaten item.

Stat names CAN change

P.S : I could found chest armor and leg's protector model.​

Aidenjl likes this.
  33. Aidenjl

Aidenjl

Just another quick question. So we can have different groups for items? Does this mean we can apply a custom function to an item group. So again say I have an item in the food category, if I right click on it it will call the function which will be able to access the food value of that item and then send it to another script.

JohnParask likes this.
  34. JohnParask

JohnParask

The available groups are " Items , Equipment " then the equipment has the sub-groups : Helmet, Chest, Legs, Boots.

If an item is food then on use you can get the food value (just add your own script with the food value etc).

Aidenjl likes this.
  35. Aidenjl

Aidenjl

So how easy is it for us to add our own groups?

JohnParask likes this.
  36. JohnParask

JohnParask

It's simple, but you don't really have to do it since the groups i made are made only to determine where the equipment can be equipped.[Head,Chest,Legs,Boots]

However you can do it by making your own script.

Jaqal and Aidenjl like this.
  37. Aidenjl

Aidenjl

Oh, ok thanks for the response

JohnParask likes this.
  38. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Awesome job! $10 is very fairly priced for a quality inventory system such as this. If a person is creating a FRPG/MMORPG especially this will save them loads of time and accelerate the development cycle. But heck this can be used for platformers or whatever. It also appears you are continually enhancing it which makes it all the more appealing.

Jaqal and JohnParask like this.
  39. JohnParask

JohnParask

Thanks for your feedback.

Good news, item stacking is on the way ;)

40. jf3000

jf3000

Downloaded and imported and got this error:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/Ultimate Inventory/Scripts/CSharp/UInventory.cs(201,117): warning CS0219: The variable `nfo' is assigned but its value is never used
    3. Assets/Ultimate Inventory/Scripts/CSharp/UInventory.cs(201,127): warning CS0219: The variable `res' is assigned but its value is never used
    5. Assets/Ultimate Inventory/Scripts/CSharp/UInventory.cs(316,17): warning CS0219: The variable `count' is assigned but its value is never used
    7. Assets/Ultimate Inventory/Scripts/CSharp/UInventory.cs(381,21): warning CS0472: The result of comparing value type `UnityEngine.KeyCode' with null is `true'
    9. Assets/Ultimate Inventory/Scripts/CSharp/UI_Item.cs(32,10): warning CS0414: The private field `UI_Item.stop' is assigned but its value is never used
    11. Assets/Ultimate Inventory/Scripts/CSharp/UInventory.cs(349,9): warning CS0414: The private field `UInventory.scrollY2' is assigned but its value is never used
    13. Assets/Ultimate Inventory/Scripts/CSharp/UInventory.cs(465,17): warning CS0414: The private field `UInventory.buttonX' is assigned but its value is never used
    15. Assets/Ultimate Inventory/Scripts/CSharp/UInventory.cs(465,31): warning CS0414: The private field `UInventory.buttonY' is assigned but its value is never used
    17. Assets/Ultimate Inventory/Scripts/CSharp/UInventory.cs(466,17): warning CS0414: The private field `UInventory.countLine' is assigned but its value is never used
    19. Assets/Ultimate Inventory/Scripts/CSharp/UInventory.cs(467,9): warning CS0414: The private field `UInventory.item' is assigned but its value is never used
    21. Assets/Ultimate Inventory/Scripts/CSharp/UInventory.cs(468,10): warning CS0414: The private field `UInventory.called' is assigned but its value is never used
    23. Assets/Ultimate Inventory/Scripts/CSharp/UInventory.cs(613,9): warning CS0414: The private field `UInventory.draggedIndex' is assigned but its value is never used
    25. Assets/Ultimate Inventory/Scripts/CSharp/UInventory.cs(613,27): warning CS0414: The private field `UInventory.releasedIndex' is assigned but its value is never used
    27. Assets/Ultimate Inventory/Scripts/CSharp/UInventory.cs(614,10): warning CS0414: The private field `UInventory.isLoaded' is assigned but its value is never used
    29. Assets/Ultimate Inventory/Scripts/CSharp/UInventory.cs(965,9): warning CS0414: The private field `UInventory.screenX' is assigned but its value is never used
    31. Assets/Ultimate Inventory/Scripts/CSharp/UInventoryEditor.cs(29,10): warning CS0414: The private field `UInventoryEditor.confirm' is assigned but its value is never used
    Any way to fix please?

rchassereau likes this.
  41. JohnParask

JohnParask

All of them are warnings, you can wait for the update so the variables will be used/removed or go remove them by your self, your performance is not influenced from these warnings.

rchassereau likes this.
  42. rchassereau

rchassereau

Just a weird issue I had, and I totally accept that it's likely operator error on my part, but twice now the UInventory.cs script has duplicated itself on the UInventory Prefab; basically the prefab ends up having two instances of the script attached. I've never had this issue before with accidentally duplicating scripts on objects, so I was wondering if anyone else has run into it and maybe it's not just me.

43. JohnParask

JohnParask

Try to remove one of them ?

44. rchassereau

rchassereau

Yeah removing isn't a problem, just an odd thing that's come up a time or two.

45. JohnParask

JohnParask

I didn't have this problem and also nobody else report it.

Anyone else has the same problem ?

46. JohnParask

JohnParask

The new patch is coming, it contains Item Stacking & Player Equipment system and Item Preview on mouse over.
    [I currently fixing bugs]

Shop system, furnace system, exchange system are the very possible new features, comment bellow if you think that they should be included. [Of course the price will stay $10]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  47. rchassereau

rchassereau

Just my two cents, I do like the idea of a 'furnace' system, and being able to craft only at a specific location.

jf3000 and Jaqal like this.
  48. Jaqal

Jaqal

I was thinking the same thing. I like how minecraft does it where you can craft smaller simple items anywhere but for more complex things you need a furnace etc. Just seems more realistic and adds to the gameplay.

49. JohnParask

JohnParask

Edit : Update will be delayed since i have to fix some bugs.

Looting system for containers & bodies.
    Item stacking.
    Player Equipment system.

Looting System :

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    Jaqal and John-G like this.
  50. JohnParask

JohnParask

The new update has been submitted into the Asset Store and it will be available very soon.

furiouslol and Aidenjl like this.