Search Unity

Ultimate HD Light Effects, Update 1.5 Sneak Peek, Skyrim Light Effects in your Games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 8, 2012.

1. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone,

Web player demo is up! Try it at the link below. Added a animated dusty effect to the light beams like they did in Skyrim.

Ultimate HD Light Effects 1.5 Demo

Controls:
    All items are dynamic so you can pick them up where the crosshair is pointed by pressing "e" and move them just like in Skyrim. Use W, A, S, D to move and space to jump. Walk around and get a feel for the light effects and atmosphere.

__________________________________________________________________________________

We had a lot of success with the 1.4 update so we're hard at work with another update. We've seen Skyrim and love the way they do their light effects. We're trying to do this in Unity in our own way.

We're working on a moving dust effect similar to Skyrims along with the other light effects they use.

We created a new demo and decided to have fun with it by making it similar to Syrim. We might include it with the 1.5 update, but it depends on how many people are interested.

Suggestions for the update are welcome and feedback would be appreciated, thanks:

$chrome 2012-01-12 16-31-54-580.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. siflandolly

siflandolly

That sounds really cool. Would it be too much for a little web demo? It's a little tough to get a feel for it w/ still pictures.

3. BHS

BHS

Thanks. We'll be getting a playable demo up sometime today. There's still things we have to add to the demo it's not quite finished yet.

4. BHS

BHS

1.5 demo is up, feedback would be nice.

5. runner

runner

Heh nice try, but it looks contrived and predictable

the particulates are also larger than they should be so my suggestion is to make them look somewhat like dusty clouds with an little randomness so If you can do that then you got an winner.

6. BHS

BHS

Yeah thanks for the suggestion, managed to fix it and get a much better dust effect. The demo has been updated if you'd like to check it out.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Where is the link to the 1.5 demo? :)

8. runner

runner

better except when extremely close to the plane you could fade the (particle plane) when that close from the player with a distance check.

this is what i had in mind or a reasonable facsimile

http://www.gamerstemple.net/games18/002029/002029s012.jpg

appreciate the work you are doing with the pack

9. BHS

BHS

@hippocoder It was up, but made a mistake and it needed a quick fix.

@runner Yeah I still need a way to make it balanced still working on it. Also working on a dust effect like in the screenshot, it's looking good. The reason I had the small dust dots was because they had it in Skyrim and it looked good. And thanks.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  10. BHS

BHS

Demo is back up, had to tweak and add a few things. I got a nice dust effect with the light beams like in Skyrim. Let me know what you guys think.

11. runner

runner

It looks like falling rain mist now perhaps substantial slower movement in the -y direction just to see if i could tweak it near to perfection otherwise it's near perfect effect, Just curious if it can look better.

It's a huge difference already nice work

:)

12. siflandolly

siflandolly

I agree. Big improvment but they could slow down a bit in the Y but otherwise looking great.

13. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

I wouldn't show an interior level for the lighting if your try to emulate Skyrim, I'd show an enjviornment.

14. BHS

BHS

@rpgking well I wasn't try to show off Skyrim lighting. I was showing off Skyrim light effects. You can't have light beams and candles outside. The Skyrim demo was just to enhance the feel of the dungeon and show what the light effects are capable of.

@siflandolly/runner Thanks guys, yeah it's a little fast but the dust has to fall and I want the dust to get to the whole length of the light beam quickly when the level is started but not too fast. Ive been working on it and got it right it's looking much better. The demo will be updated later today.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  15. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Very nice, I like your environment. I'll have to play with it some more when I get home :) My biggest suggestions (from the short time I played with it) was the wall/bricks texture...they seem...I dunno, sorta grainy and low res. I'm not sure what the deal is, it just jumped out at me.

Some other thoughts:
    After playing morrowind, oblivion and Skyrim...I'm not sure if having the physics in game is that great of an idea. The idea of it is great, but after being exposed to it for a while...I don't know that I "use" it very often.
    Personally, I like it the most when used for the ragdoll effects, but it annoys the crap out of me when I try to pick stuff up or position things. When it comes to moving things around, I think I'd just rather have a more rigid system for placing things.
    Maybe if the game physics were actually used more...like you could propel rocks or such. But it seems to me to be more of a gimmick than anything, for the most part. Any thoughts on this?

16. siflandolly

siflandolly

I thought the bricks just looked like maybe the normal map was too bumpy possibly? Or the shader makes it too shiny? But I know that's not really what you're showcasing.

17. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Good point. My apologies if my post seemed nitpicky...my mind tends to wander, short attention span and all.
    I found myself dragging bottles across books on the shelves, and kept wanting to shout to send everything flying >:)

18. BHS

BHS

@jc_lvngstn, siflandolly Yeah the bump and spec levels were a little high so I turned them down. I also tiled the bricks more to give them a higher resolution. I also slowed the dust effect down and randomize it to look more realistic. Demo will be up shortly.

Yeah the demo itself isn't the showcase, but the light effects themselves. This was a side project and we decided to showcase the light effects in it, but thanks for the suggestions they were used.

19. BHS

BHS

New demo is up, tell me what you guys think of the light effects.

20. runner

runner

okay that last demo gets my full approval :)

21. BHS

BHS

@runner Thanks, I'm glad you like it

22. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Any update on when the 1.5 package will be released?

23. BHS

BHS

@cygnusprojects Yes, it will be released after we're done with the UniStorm 1.4 update, so a little over a week.

24. 3dDude

3dDude

I wonder if it is possible to switch out the texture based on the users view direction. For instance, if the user looked at the effect from underneath, you could have more of a round texture.
    Just a thought.. Looks good!

25. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

@Black Horizon Studios: any ETA yet? Seems like you missed the previous one.

26. RoyS

RoyS

Is this still being worked on? Would it be possible to purchase the Skyrim "item grab system", too for those of us who want it?