Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Fracturing Destruction editor extension for Unity 3D

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UGTools, May 30, 2013.

1. NotSoLuckyDucky

NotSoLuckyDucky

Just found this, but is this a rip off the UE4 fracturing system??? The whole design of the fracturing looks like its based on Unreals. I don't know, maybe Unreals was the inspiration?

2. hopeful

hopeful

Kind of a strange thing to say. I'm not sure what the point is. But this particular plugin has been around for about seven years now.

JBR-games likes this.
  3. kdgalla

kdgalla

The plugin uses the voronoi-cell fracturing algorithm, which was probably invented before Unreal or Unity even existed. No doubt Unreal uses the same thing. It's a pretty standard technique.

JBR-games and hopeful like this.
  4. NotSoLuckyDucky

NotSoLuckyDucky

5. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

In case this helps anyone I too was having problems with 2018 / Prefab workflow with this asset.

I tried the patches but Sourcetree did not seem to like them :(

I also emailed the author at the UGT website but without any response.

Instead I found a Prefab workflow that worked for me.

Create a new scene for setting up the fractured object which also contains the source object. (This can be discarded later)

Create a Fractured Object as normal, Enable for Prefab use (will prompt for a location to save the mesh) and then Explode it etc. Then before you create a prefab by dragging the resultant object, make sure you drag the source object back as a child of the Fractured Object. Then you can create the prefab.

This way when you go into Prefab mode subsequently, it still has the source mesh so it can still regenerate the chunks and re-save them without any issue. Otherwise there is no source mesh.

Hope this helps someone.

JBR-games and hopeful like this.
  6. dgoyette

dgoyette

And you're sure you can drop that prefab into two separate scenes, and it works in both scenes? And if you're not explicitly saving the mesh asset as a separate file then best-case scenario each prefab instance would contain another copy of the mesh, which will significantly increase the size of the scene you place them in.

If you've found some approach that works, then great. Hopefully it doesn't have the drawbacks I mentioned.

As for the patches, I'm no longer using this asset. (I moved over to Rayfire.) But if you're having trouble automatically patching things, I expect than manually patching (just looking what's in the patch files) will be of some use. I don't think it was all that many changes to get this code working. But I definitely haven't tried it under Unity 2020.

Anyway, good luck. :)

7. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Thanks for this - interesting about Rayfire.

Well actually the Prefab is been instantiated at runtime, and seems to work so far - fingers crossed!

8. dgoyette

dgoyette

It's pretty expensive, but it tends to go on sale for 1/2 price fairly often. I've found it's much better than the old fracturing project, and still under active development.

9. partridge

partridge

For a more reasonably priced alternative to RayFire, try DinoFracture. I moved to this after this UFD asset died and it's been pretty good so far.

Zaddo likes this.
  10. atmuc

atmuc

At FracturedChunk.cs Update method you use GetComponent<Renderer>(). Its cost is high. Can you get renderer at awake method?

Edit: other methods like SetSingleMeshVisibility uses GetComponent<Renderer>() too. you should cache render for all usage.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  11. Dusty777

Dusty777

So can anyone confirm how Prefabs are working for you?

For me the "enable with prefab" button doesn't save any file, no matter the folder.
    And the button doesn't stay clicked (so it's like nothing happened).

PS.
    Hoping... this Asset and this thread are not abandoned.