Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Fracturing Destruction editor extension for Unity 3D

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UGTools, May 30, 2013.

1. UGTools

UGTools

Hello guys!

We are pleased to announce the release of our new Unity3D editor extension.
    The Ultimate Fracturing Destruction Tool is a Unity 3D editor extension that allows you to fracture, slice and explode meshes. It also allows to visually edit behaviors for all in-game destruction events like collisions, making it possible to trigger sounds and particles when collisions occur without the need to script anything.

The Ultimate Fracturing Destruction's main features are:

• Includes different sample scenes for quick learning.
    • Supports BSP (recursive slicing) Voronoi fracturing algorithms.
    • Can generate chunk connection graph to enable structural behavior. Destruction will behave intelligently depending on how the chunks are interconnected and also connected to the world.
    • Can detect mesh islands.
    • Automatically maps the interior of the fractured mesh. You only need to assign the interior material.
    • Visual editor to handle all events allowing to specify particle systems, sounds or any prefabs that need to be instanced when detaching, collisions, bullet impacts or explosions occur.
    • Full UI integration allowing you to visualize and edit everything in the editor.
    • Includes our Mesh Combiner utility to enable compound object fracturing as well.
    • If you have our Concave Collider tool, you have additional control over the colliders generated.
    • Many many parameters to play with!

Get it here!

Check out our webplayer demo and our video! WEBPLAYER DEMO LINK

And some screenshots:

$01columnsgame.jpg

$02columnsedit.jpg

$03statue.jpg

$04floor.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
    AntonioModer likes this.
  2. LaneFox

LaneFox

This makes me happy.

AntonioModer likes this.
  3. UGTools

UGTools

We're quite excited too :)
    The webplayer will be available between today and tomorrow, and hopefully we get the asset store approval soon as well.

4. Pulov

Pulov

I'm seriously impressed.

5. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Skinned meshes slicing?
    None of fracture packages on Asset Store do this, if this one could do it... Would be a killer asset!

6. UGTools

UGTools

No, our tool is intended for static scenario elements at the moment, sorry :)

7. Pulov

Pulov

Just a thing that might be an interesting upgrade for the future, instead of destroying all the element at the impact area, it may be interesting to add a parameter that, for instance in the pilars, when getting hit their section was decimated until it gets inestable, or gets totally destroyed like now if it is hit by a cannon shell...

8. UGTools

UGTools

You mean a damage counter of some sort and having objects/weapons with different damage levels?

9. Pulov

Pulov

Yes> So that a lower power weapong doest not estroy an strong element such a pillar with a single hit.

10. elias_t

elias_t

Looks really good!

Will you support unity 3.5 ?

11. UGTools

UGTools

Initially it was going to be that way, but we discarded it because it added a little bit of complexity when editing.
    Instead, the user can specify an optional method that will be called each time a chunk was hit and asks to be destroyed/detached. Here you can implement your own damage system with very few lines of code because you can do your own calculations and cancel the destruction if necessary.

12. UGTools

UGTools

Yes, in fact it was fully developed on Unity 3.5. We used 4.0 to check if it worked and just had to include a couple of changes to make it compatible with both 3.5 and 4.x.

13. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Looks amazing

14. Toad

Toad

Looks fantastic!

15. UGTools

UGTools

Thanks! I've added some screenshots as well. Finally our webplayer demo is ready and will be uploaded tomorrow friday. Stay tuned :)

16. PolyMad

PolyMad

What the heck is happening this month? It's coming out so much great stuff!!!

17. UGTools

UGTools

18. maimaisan

maimaisan

When I buy this asset? When I brake huge cannonballs?! When I slice heavy tanks?!?! WHEN?!!

19. brokan3

brokan3

The Plugin need need pro version unity?

20. UGTools

UGTools

No, it works on the free version too :)

21. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hows the performance? Is it likely to support newer mobiles?

Expected Price?

Also a few bugs in the web player:

In the bridge scene after a few shots one of the pieces lodged "inside" another and vibrated up and down (vibrations kept going without slowing for 30 seconds at which point I reset scene).

In the Statue explosion scene, after exploding the statue, one of the pieces vibrates around triggering smoke particles and sound effects long after the explosion has finished and everything else has settled down. This seems to happen every time for me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  22. nuverian

nuverian

Really interesting. Price tag and release date?

23. UGTools

UGTools

Performance is just like any other rigidbodies scenario in Unity as we use Unity's native physics for everything. Mobiles are of course also supported but you'll have to take special care with the number of chunks you generate. There are ways and tips to optimize things, we'll have a section regarding this on our website once the plugin is in the asset store.
    Regarding the first scene I'll take a look at it but it is difficult to control how rigidbodies behave as it goes totally out of our control, everything is handled by Unity's internal physics engine (physx). The second one can easily be fixed changing the rigidbody sleep settings and increasing the thresholds that generate a collision event (sound particles triggering).

24. UGTools

UGTools

60$ and release date next week (fingers crossed) :)

25. PolyMad

PolyMad

I'm asking you a couple favours.

I need to test performance for good, can you put in the scene more temples?

Can you post a build for PC 64bit?

And finally, why don't you just use the Unity built in FPS character?
    I know there are some buttons around and you need to press them with the mouse pointer, but you can make it better: just lock and unlock the mouse pointer when space bar is pressed. Shouldn't be too difficult for a guy capable like you :D

The webplayer is working but I can't really grasp the performance from there (very low fps in browser window anyway) and that's important if somebody wants to verify the possibility of use in a real product.
    In example I have a game of tanks and this is potentially useable because there is no continuous shooting.
    This thing would also save me several hours of work on assets, but I need to know that it will not be too heavy on the system before I buy.

26. UGTools

UGTools

Adding more temples won't affect performance, at least not if they are apart from each other. What would affect performance would be creating more chunks for the same object.
    I can send you a standalone 64bit windows version if you want, maybe with more chunks?

We didn't use the Unity FPS controller mainly because that means adding Unity resources to the package and it would complain about duplicated resources when importing. On the other hand because as you said, you need to be able to aim and use the GUI at the same time. Instead of pressing the spacebar to unlock the mouse pointer you are pressing the mouse button to lock it, it's the same principle :)

27. PolyMad

PolyMad

Uhhh damnit I wanted to buy now :|

28. exiguous

exiguous

i have a question to the workflow:
    does this tool requires configuration in the editor or can it be used and setup entirely at runtime? i mean i have spaceship meshes and these shall be cracked in different (random) ways when they get destroyed. so that the same mesh never cracks the same way. is this possible with your tool? or is it only for predefining the cracks?

29. PolyMad

PolyMad

Shards are precalculated by tweaking parameters in editor.

If you want different shards you can solve it by pre-cracking your stuff in different versions.
    In example, you can make 3 versions of your cracked spaceship and use randomly one version when it's hit.
    t's not always different but maybe it's enough.

30. exiguous

exiguous

thanks for the quick answer. i have to consider this solution but 3 is not enough at all and for dozens of ships + stations this gets a mess real quick. however, this feature is not urgent and i will see when i'm working on it.

31. PolyMad

PolyMad

May I ask why you need different fracturing so badly?
    I know random explosion looks more real, but you should consider that most of people don't really see any difference.

32. exiguous

exiguous

it is not "so badly" but i thought it would be good to have (and there are other fracturing packages that offer this afaik).
    i had considered to create different explosion (and fraction) effects depending on the type of weapon and maybe on the type of "reactor". but i see this is a large workoverhead with no to little gain. so its not in stone yet. what i'm more concerned regarding the workflow (and thats why i asked) is that i must do all this in the editor manually. i had looked for a solution which makes all this automatically without my intervention (beside from configuring some parameters once).
    but as i said i just wanted to inform me, this feature is at least 6-9 months away and will have a closer look on all available "competitors" once i'm there.

33. PolyMad

PolyMad

I see. As usual, there are pros and vs for the solutions.

Run time fracturing is a solution that you can consider only for meshes of limited complexity because it's quite a heavy task, that's why we are still dealing with prefractured stuff.
    You can distribute fracturing calculations over several frames, but if you need an impact effect you can only use few frames or the time between impact and fracture/explosion will be too much noticeable.

And now the word to our developer, I don't want to take his place :D he might decide to add real time fracturing to his package, this wouldn't be a surprise :)

34. UGTools

UGTools

Yes, dynamic fracturing is definetly on the list for future features, but it's something we have to study well :)

35. Olafson

Olafson

Awesome stuff. Exactly what I have been looking for :)

I got a few questions though. How would you make a fully destructible house, with furniture inside? Is it possible to somehow link the furniture inside the building to the "chunk connection graph" ?

We want to make a multiplayer game using your asset. We obviously can not sync the actual physics over the internet. What we could do though, is syncing the name of the pieces that are falling down (immediately removing them on the server, so it does not have to calculate the physics of the falling pieces), and let the clients perform client side physics.
    Is it possible to get the position, name etc. of all the pieces that are falling down? I guess you have to do that somewhere in the "chunk connection graph" anyway?

For example, I have a house with 2 floors. The house itself is completely destructible, and on the 2nd floor, there is a cupboard. Due to performance I do not want to split the cupboard into several pieces, but keep it as one. Now, the problem is, that as soon as the 2nd floor is destroyed, the cupboard will float in the air. Is it somehow possible to link this cupboard object to the graph, so it falls down when the floor is destroyed?
    I could make the cupboard a physics object, but that would only work on client side. Linking it to the graph would be great, because that way the server could make the cupboard a client side physics object.

36. Samsson

Samsson

Nice Work ! In whatthe concave collider will allow more control ?

37. UGTools

UGTools

If you have our concave collider plugin you can limit the amount of vertices for each collider. This is very useful if you have many chunks with complex colliders (in order to optimize collisions), or if Unity generates colliders with > 1024 faces which is the limit.

38. UGTools

UGTools

Yes, it is possible. We include a mesh combiner so that you can fracture a whole hierarchy of objects. The fracturing algorithm separates these objects and won't fracture the cup because it's too small compared to the other ones. It will detect the connectivity between the cup and the table below though, so the cup will be connected to the whole structure.
    Be careful with the house's mesh though. All parts must have volume, so you can't have planes as ceilings or walls. In order for the algorithm to work, you need pieces with volume. This means a wall needs to be a "deformed cube", and not a plane for example.an so on :)
    Also, due to physx cpu limitations you will need to limit the amount of chunks you generate, don't imagine everything exploding into millions of chunks (hint: bug Unity developers to support GPU accelerated rigidbodies!) :)

As for the multiplayer part, you can easily access the chunks to send their positions via network. You just need to find all those that have the FracturedChunk component, that's 1 line of scripting :)

39. Olafson

Olafson

Nice. Does "deformed cube" mean that each walls has to be closed to the sides?
    Number 2 represents the closed geometry with volume, number 1 represents the plane geometry without volume.

http://abload.de/img/awesomepainting1ns4o.jpg

That should not be a problem.
    I would have limited the the shads anyway. I am thinking of a maximum of maybe 100 shads per building, with most of them being well below that. I guess that should be easily possible.

Anyway, sounds pretty nice and thanks for your quick response!

40. UGTools

UGTools

Number 2 is the winner here :)

41. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

Love it
    Do you plan to add PlayMaker Actions ? i will get it when you do for sure.

42. UGTools

UGTools

Yes, I'll spend some time with PlayMaker to see what I can do :)

43. PolyMad

PolyMad

Why do you need PM actions for this?
    I ask because I have PM too :)

44. PolyMad

PolyMad

Adding actions to PM is really, really easy, I've done a couple and I'm not a real coder :)

45. brokan3

brokan3

when will release?

46. UGTools

UGTools

I can't give you an exact date but it's a matter of days :)

47. UGTools

UGTools

Meanwhile we wait for the Asset Store approval we uploaded the Fracturing Destruction section to our website.
    Here you can find basic information, full GUI documentation, scripting documentation and a FAQ.

Check it out!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  48. Samsson

Samsson

49. UGTools

UGTools

50. Samsson

Samsson

O.K, it's now working ;-)

You should make a demo without all the natural stuff behind in your first scene. I tested it with a laptop, the result in term of performance is not really good and i supose it's because of it.