Search Unity

Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator - Character Modding Documentation

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by brilliantgames, Aug 15, 2017.

1. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Hello everyone! Mod support for UEBS is finally here! I figured what better place to post a tutorial than on the Unity forums! So lets get your Unity assets in the game!

Disclaimer:
    The process of importing characters to UEBS will require some basic knowledge in using Unity engine. Besides a few important tips, I cannot teach you how to use Unity, there are thousands of tutorials and documentation available across the internet, so if you have no experience using Unity, or rigging characters in Unity, I suggest researching and get the hang of things before attempting to do any of this.

Getting Started:
    The tools designed for preparing your character for import are designed to be fast and flexible. Setting up the basics can often only take minutes!

IMPORTANT: All separate mods must be done using a unique project! Please do not use any versions of Unity greater than 2018! In fact, using Unity 5.6 is ideal as the tutorial files were made in this version. Otherwise Unity can get confliction errors if multiple mods made in the same project are imported. This will cause and error during import and import will cancel! Please be responsible and make all your mods in unique projects!

Video Tutorial:

1. Start a new project in Unity, and import the UEBSCharacterSetup(Located in UEBSWorkshopTools) into your new project. If you have not yet downloaded the UEBSWorkshopTools, you can download them here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7-D7l54O0QMWHFNbjFHM0Q4YzA/view

2. Create a new scene and save it. Drag the 'SETUP' prefab into your scene. You should see a yellow box in your scene view which represents the collision box of your new character.

3. Import your rigged character into your scene(Legacy or Mecanim). Make your character the child of the 'SETUP' prefab by dragging the character onto it in the hierarchy.

4. Make sure your characters position is zeroed and its feet are lined up with the floor and center of the yellow box in the scene view.

5. In the Character Setup inspector, assign your Character Animator component from your rigged character (Or Character Animator Legacy, which only works with custom animations). You can do this by simply dragging your character from the hierarchy into the Character Animator tab.

6. Now the meshes from your character must be assigned. Click open the 'Meshes' drop down in the Character Setup inspector and assign all the appropriate skinned and solid meshes from your character.(If a mesh is skinned, the object will have a 'Skinned Mesh Renderer' attached to it, and if it is solid, it will have just the 'Mesh Renderer' attached.

7. Set your mods name and category. Currently your character can only work in a category that exists in the game like Animals or Medieval. Keep in mind you must spell them correctly and the category names are case sensitive.

8. The basics of your character setup should now be ready for export. Click the small gear at the top of the 'Character Setup' inspector, and click 'Export All'.

9. If there were no errors, your exported character should be located in your project folder above 'Assets'.

10. Before you go and upload your character to Steam workshop, you should first test it. The easiest way to test your character mod, is by copying and pasting your exported character file to the StreamingAssets/CharacterMods folder located in the UEBS_Data folder which you can find in your steam apps folder. UEBS Steam app folder should be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator.

11. Once you have pasted your character mod to the CharacterMods folder, open the game and it should automatically import in startup.

Uploading To Steam Workshop:
    Uploading to Steam Workshop is made easy with the UEBS Steam Workshop tools. Upload new packages and update old ones in minutes!

1. Create a folder in a location of your choosing and add your exported character to it.

2. IMPORTANT! All mods require an icon image for uploading to workshop. Take a screenshot of your character in the game, save your screen image and name it 'icon' in your content folder. The image file format should be png, and shouldn't be any larger than 512x512.

3. In your UEBS Workshop tools, open the folder called SteamManager and run the UEBS-SteamManager exe.

4. Once UEBS-SteamManager is running you need to specify the folder location of your content folder. The easiest way to do this is by going to your content folder in explorer and copying the directory location on the top into the UEBS-SteamManager.

5. Once you have put in the folder location, click 'Create New Mod'.

6. Fill in the mod name and description, and hit 'Upload'. Wait for your mod to finish uploading and close the application.

7. Your mod should now be published and a part of Steam Workshop!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  2. epicfailio1

epicfailio1

would it be possible to have a video running through the getting started motion - possibly implementing some of the existing assets (and the uploading part is very self explanatory ), also the download link under getting started is missing.

thanks in advance

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  3. abdynotonegoro

abdynotonegoro

i did not find the basic_bandit file, please upload it so i can practice it,because I get some error like this
    thanks upload_2017-9-2_19-50-20.png

4. antoripa

antoripa

Hi @brilliantgames .. nice the option to create mod for char . I am wondering is that is possible for terrain as well ...

5. Slowbud

Slowbud

Hello,
    is there a max vertex or tri count for a character for exporting you recommend?

Game is now for 15 min on "Loading Mods ...." and seems it will never start.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  6. Slowbud

Slowbud

I got it loading now, but most meshes are missing in the game. Can it handle meshes with multi materials?

7. dujiandong

dujiandong

Could you please tell me how to thoroughly clean out the Mods that have been put into the Character Mods ? When you put the Mods with the same name but different content, it always calls the file information that was put in before

KimLuxx likes this.
  8. scp177

scp177

I'm very sorry. I follow the tutorial and successfully exported. But it crash the UEBS. Could you please give me some suggestions?

9. wechat_os_Qy040jLSQVf0Vn73gOGtZu53c

wechat_os_Qy040jLSQVf0Vn73gOGtZu53c

10. wechat_os_Qy040jLSQVf0Vn73gOGtZu53c

wechat_os_Qy040jLSQVf0Vn73gOGtZu53c

What happened? How to solve it? Thank you! How to solve it?

upload_2019-2-12_15-7-50.png

11. cadetclifton

cadetclifton

ne fonctionne pas sur 2019.1.12f1

12. FoxBeef

FoxBeef

How did you get past infinite Load?