Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

uLiveWallpaper - Develop Android Live Wallpapers with Unity!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ZimM, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Keitaro3660

Keitaro3660

hello, please make video tutorial too for important part in the development
    like what script or component of ulivewallpaper that is important to put in game object, what is the function, etc

i already test it and it's work, but no Touch-sliding at all.
    I use redmi note 3. the LWP itself is a bit lag too, why is that?

so i think you should make in deep video tutorial of how to use your uLivewallpaper script component, not just the 7 page manual
    thaks! :)

2. resheez

resheez

Bro.. the plugin will not cause any lag.. matter fact it just turn what you create inside unity into a live wallpaper service...
    Maybe you should consider the assets that you are using.
    Perhaps the only way to find out is.. try to build the scene without the plugin(normal unity build)..then run it in your device and see whether its lag or not.
    if its lags means you are using too heavy assets for your game.
    if it doesn't lag then you can report it to ZimM.

3. dmitriy4leex

dmitriy4leex

My smartphone (xiaomi redmi note 2) consumes a lot of energy. Battery power is consumed incredibly fast. In off screen mode, the smartphone heated considerably. Is it possible to pause live wallpaper in off screen mode?

4. Keitaro3660

Keitaro3660

oh, so the LWP process and unity game process using same close memory??
    i thought LWP is bigger memory, because it's on the phone screen, with icon and such

okay i'll try it again with little asset :)

5. ZimM

ZimM

That wallpaper probably won't have that feature... But maybe some other one will.
    Yes, video tutorials would be nice, probably I'll get to make them someday. But most of the scripts in the package (like touch-to-slide) are really just for demo purposes, so you can see and learn how to use the uLiveWallpaper API. There are also demo scenes that you can examine. There is also a full API reference site:
    http://cdn.lostpolygon.com/unity-as...html/48236cf1-386d-4372-94e7-451d8b967243.htm
    I'm pretty sure that combination of code comments, demo scenes, and API reference is sufficient to get you started :)
    As @resheez said, a LWP built with uLiveWallpaper does not imposes any performance limitations - the performance, memory consumption, APK size are exactly the same as Unity (because, well, it is Unity). It's your job as a developer to make sure your LWP performs well on your target devices.

6. ZimM

ZimM

Live wallpaper is already paused when screen is off. In fact, it is always paused when it is not visible.
    Do you have any proof that it is a live wallpaper built with uLiveWallpaper that is consuming a lot of energy? You can go to Settings → Battery in your phone and see what application consumes the most power.
    No one else has reported this kind of issue before, so I'd assume it's not uLiveWallpaper's fault.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  7. OvidiuGhe

OvidiuGhe

Hello everyone!

First of all let me thank the developer for doing this awesome plugin! :)
    I made a short video for my first attempt at a live wallpaper for you guys to check and I was wondering if there are any fellows devs that are willing to test the apk file once I get a little bit more advanced?

The wallpaper is featuring a little cartoon pig and the overall idea is to let the user customize the pig appearence as he/she pleased but there is still a lot of work as this is merely a prototype :)

Here is the video link captured directly from my phone:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/srm18iizbrmarcq/Pig6.mp4

Also any kind of input and feedback really helps me :)
    Thank you again!

Ovidiu

8. ZimM

ZimM

Looks very nice and smooth for a prototype :) I'd be glad to test the apk when it'll be possible.
    One thing that caught my attention is that the customization menu can be opened from the home screen. If your home screen if pretty much empty - that's fine. But, for example, my home screen is always tightly packed with shortcuts to apps and widgets, so the customization menu would be unusable. Perhaps it'd be a better idea to open a preview screen instead?

9. dmitriy4leex

dmitriy4leex

Hi ZimM! The script GraphicsSettingsApplier not working. Frame rate all time 30. Tried various ways Build Settings - all in vain. What am I doing wrong? screen1.png screen2.png

10. ZimM

ZimM

Build Settings have absolutely nothing to do with that script.
    I've just tried in a new project and it worked fine for me. It's hard to say what are you doing wrong... How are you checking the framerate? Do you use the standard Settings Activity?
    Try this updated version of the script, it prints a log message each time FPS or Quality is changed. What does it logs for you?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. namespace LostPolygon.uLiveWallpaper.Demos {
    6.     /// <summary>
    7.     /// Updates quality settings and target frame rate using values from preferences.
    8.     /// </summary>
    9.     public class GraphicsSettingsApplier : MonoBehaviour {
    10. #pragma warning disable 0618
    11. #pragma warning disable 0414
    12.         [SerializeField]
    13.         private string _qualitySettingsIndexPreferencesKey = "general_graphics_quality";
    15.         [SerializeField]
    16.         private string _framesPerSecondPreferencesKey = "general_frames_per_second";
    18.         [SerializeField]
    19.         private bool _applyExpensiveChanges = false;
    21.         [SerializeField]
    22.         private bool _applyInEditor = false;
    24.         private const string kDefaultFramesPerSecondValue = "30";
    25.         private const string kDefaultQualityLevelValue = "0";
    26. #pragma warning restore 0414
    27. #pragma warning restore 0618
    29. #if UNITY_ANDROID
    30.         private int _savedQualitySettingsIndex;
    31.         private int _savedFramesPerSecond;
    32.         private bool _waitingForQualitySettingsUpdate;
    34.         private void Awake() {
    35.             _savedQualitySettingsIndex = QualitySettings.GetQualityLevel();
    36.             _savedFramesPerSecond = Application.targetFrameRate;
    37.         }
    39.         private void OnEnable() {
    40.             // Exit if running in Editor
    41. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    42.             if (!_applyInEditor)
    43.                 return;
    44. #endif
    46.             // Subscribe to the event
    47.             LiveWallpaper.PreferenceChanged += LiveWallpaperOnPreferenceChanged;
    49.             // Apply the initial values
    50.             Apply();
    51.         }
    53.         private void OnDisable() {
    54.             // Exit if running in Editor
    55. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    56.             if (!_applyInEditor)
    57.                 return;
    58. #endif
    60.             // Unsubscribe from the event. This is important, otherwise you'll get a memory leak
    61.             LiveWallpaper.PreferenceChanged -= LiveWallpaperOnPreferenceChanged;
    63.             // Revert to the original settings
    64.             Revert();
    65.         }
    67.         private void LiveWallpaperOnPreferenceChanged(string key) {
    68.             // Update Unity settings when preference was changed in Android
    69.             if (key == _framesPerSecondPreferencesKey) {
    70.                 int framesPerSecond = Convert.ToInt32(LiveWallpaper.Preferences.GetString(_framesPerSecondPreferencesKey, kDefaultFramesPerSecondValue));
    71.                 Application.targetFrameRate = framesPerSecond;
    73.                 Debug.LogFormat("GraphicsSettingsApplier: framerate set to {0}", Application.targetFrameRate);
    74.             } else if (key == _qualitySettingsIndexPreferencesKey) {
    75.                 // Delay updating quality settings to avoid GL context loss
    76.                 if (!_waitingForQualitySettingsUpdate) {
    77.                     _waitingForQualitySettingsUpdate = true;
    78.                     StartCoroutine(UpdateQualitySettings());
    79.                 }
    80.             }
    81.         }
    83.         private void Revert() {
    84.             QualitySettings.SetQualityLevel(_savedQualitySettingsIndex, true);
    85.             Application.targetFrameRate = _savedFramesPerSecond;
    86.         }
    88.         private void Apply() {
    89.             int qualitySettingsIndex = Convert.ToInt32(LiveWallpaper.Preferences.GetString(_qualitySettingsIndexPreferencesKey, kDefaultQualityLevelValue));
    90.             int framesPerSecond = Convert.ToInt32(LiveWallpaper.Preferences.GetString(_framesPerSecondPreferencesKey, kDefaultFramesPerSecondValue));
    92.             QualitySettings.SetQualityLevel(qualitySettingsIndex, _applyExpensiveChanges);
    93.             Application.targetFrameRate = framesPerSecond;
    95.             Debug.LogFormat("GraphicsSettingsApplier: framerate set to {0}", Application.targetFrameRate);
    96.             Debug.LogFormat("GraphicsSettingsApplier: quality level set set to {0}", QualitySettings.names[QualitySettings.GetQualityLevel()]);
    97.         }
    99.         private IEnumerator UpdateQualitySettings() {
    100.             // Delay updating quality settings by one frame to avoid GL context loss
    101.             yield return new WaitForEndOfFrame();
    103.             _waitingForQualitySettingsUpdate = false;
    105.             int qualitySettingsIndex = Convert.ToInt32(LiveWallpaper.Preferences.GetString(_qualitySettingsIndexPreferencesKey, kDefaultQualityLevelValue));
    106.             QualitySettings.SetQualityLevel(qualitySettingsIndex, _applyExpensiveChanges);
    107.             Debug.LogFormat("GraphicsSettingsApplier: quality level set set to {0}", QualitySettings.names[QualitySettings.GetQualityLevel()]);
    108.         }
    109. #endif
    110.     }
    111. }

11. dmitriy4leex

dmitriy4leex

I use your unity project "VirtualBox" and frame rate script. In the unity editor all work good. In my smartphone minimal frame rate is 30 fps. If i choose higher value - all good, If i choose less value - my frame rate remains the same 30 fps.

In the Android Demo APK "VirtualBox", what i downloaded with Assetstore - all working in my smartphone good. I can change frame rate in range 10 - 55 fps.

Why i cant this do it?

Attached Files:

12. ZimM

ZimM

Just googled it, and it seems to be a bug in Unity that will be fixed in Unity 5.4:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/android-cant-fix-the-frame-rate-to-less-than-30-fps
    I have no idea why the VirtualBox APK works fine for you, though. Just for reference, I used Unity 5.3.2 when building that APK.

13. OvidiuGhe

OvidiuGhe

Hello ZimM!

Thank you for your feedback! Well. the whole idea for my wallpaper is to have the home-screen icons removed as otherwise you will not see the character (or the settings icons, true).

Now there is another issue that concerns me, although this may be an easy fix for somebody that is a Android developer (i am only a Unity Dev). So when I am trying the wallpaper on my Samsung S6 the customization icons can be seen on a swipe up gesture. However when I am trying the wallpaper on a Samsung S4 or on a HTC older phone, on swipe up the Icons are invisible but the functionality is there. I mean that you can't see any of the icons for the swipe up menu but if you know the location on screen and you press-it the invisible buttons works.

May this be because maybe Android Studio is building for latest API for Android OS? This is something I never encountered till now.

Thank you for your help :)
    Ovidiu

14. umutg4d

umutg4d

Hi ZimM
    Forgive me for my lack of Android/Java skills, how can i show my walpaper scene somewhere at preferences screen? Is it possible?
    Thanks

15. ariel_mingrone

ariel_mingrone

Hi, can you explain me how to catch offsetchanged event from unity code? Do I need to put a script to register a callback or some like this? I buyed this asset but I don't understand how to interact with android and unity with your library.
    Thanks

16. dmitriy4leex

dmitriy4leex

17. ZimM

ZimM

That sounds pretty strange. I assume the customization menu is implemented with Unity UI? uLiveWallpaper has no influence on how Unity works. Perhaps this is a Unity bug? Hard to say without actually debugging on these devices.
    Not possible at the moment. You can, however, make the preferences screen translucent, so you'll see the wallpaper through the preferences screen.
    Please examine the included demos, there is a bunch of commented scripts for you to learn. You must subscribe to the LiveWallpaper.OffsetsChanged event to receive the offset changes. It is a regular C# event, more info on that here:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/edzehd2t(v=vs.110).aspx

18. dmitriy4leex

dmitriy4leex

I created a live wallpaper to see, what they paused when your smartphone screen is off. From above constantly generated the cubes, how in the hourglass.
    When i press to the "Reset" button, all cubes removed from the screen and then i clicked to the lock button.
    If live wallpapers are paused, the cubes freeze and will not fall. If not paused, then cubes continue generated and the wallpaper work in lock mode.
    As seen from a video wallpaper continue to work, which leads to the energy consumption when this is not required. I ask you fix this problem.

19. ZimM

ZimM

That's very strange. I've just made the same thing with falling cubes and a Reset button, I can confirm that live wallpaper is not running in background. I guess I'll need more info... Please check your PM.

20. ZimM

ZimM

Good news everyone!

uLiveWallpaper 1.2.0 is now live on Asset Store! This release brings a lot of fixes and improvements, and some new stuff. It is highly recommended to update.

Change log:

New features
    • Added support for Android 6.0 runtime permission request model. Fixes live wallpaper not loading when running on Android 6.0 devices.
    • Added option to generate a home screen shortcut. Options are: open the Settings Activity, or open the live wallpaper preview screen.
    • Added LiveWallpaper.OpenPreviewScreen() method to open the live wallpaper preview screen.
    • Added LiveWallpaper.MultiTapDetector which detects quick sequential taps, and is implemented on Android side for frame rate independency. LiveWallpaper.MultiTapDetected is called when sequence is detected. TapToOpenSettings is reimplemented using this feature, much more responsive now.
    Improvements and fixes
    • Force Install Location to Force Internal when creating the project.
    • Live Wallpaper is not reloaded anymore when device orientation is changed when in Basic Settings Activity.
    • Simplified generated Basic Settings Activity code.
    • Show a warning when the created Eclipse ADT project actually contains multiple projects.
    • Project settings are now stored in Library directory for less clutter.
    • Demo scenes improvements.
    • Other minor fixes and improvements.

TunaAndAHalf likes this.
  21. ZimM

ZimM

uLiveWallpaper 1.2.0 is quite a big update with some breaking changes, so your 1.1.0 projects might not update smoothly, and would need to be fixed manually. I'll be updating this post with solutions to any known migration issues.

1. You might see an error like this when building the project.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Execution failed for task ':app:processDebugManifest'.
    2. > Manifest merger failed : Attribute activity#com.lostpolygon.unity.androidintegration.UnityPlayerInstantiatorActivity@theme value=(@style/uLiveWallpaper.Transparent) from AndroidManifest.xml:5:309-358
    3.     is also present at [test_11_AS:LP_uLiveWallpaper:unspecified] AndroidManifest.xml:25:13-62 value=(@style/uLiveWallpaper.Translucent).
    4.     Suggestion: add 'tools:replace="android:theme"' to <activity> element at AndroidManifest.xml:5:5-361 to override.
    To fix this, open your AndroidManifest.xml and delete the whole <activity> tag with name "com.lostpolygon.unity.androidintegration.UnityPlayerInstantiatorActivity". It should look similar to this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. <activity android:configChanges="mcc|mnc|locale|touchscreen|orientation|screenLayout|uiMode|screenSize|smallestScreenSize|fontScale" android:excludeFromRecents="true" android:label="" android:launchMode="singleTask" android:name="com.lostpolygon.unity.androidintegration.UnityPlayerInstantiatorActivity" android:theme="@style/uLiveWallpaper.Transparent" />

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  22. dmitriy4leex

dmitriy4leex

Pause mode of live wallpaper not working in lock screen
    Pause mode of live wallpaper working when running other application

23. ZimM

ZimM

Interesting. Please contact me via Skype (serhij.yolkin), email (contact@lostpolygon.com) or via PM, since forum thread is not productive for this kind of issues. I believe you that there is a problem on your device, but videos are not helping me to understand, and, possibly, fix the problem at all.

24. ZimM

ZimM

Just for a note: with the help of @dmitriy4leex, I've fixed the issue with wallpaper not going into paused state when screen is off on MIUI devices, so soon you'll be able to make better live wallpapers even for Xiaomi devices :)

25. Philosoraptr

Philosoraptr

Hi everyone,

Firstly, thanks to ZimM for creating such a great asset and for the support that you provide, here.

I've released a beta version of my live wallpaper created using ulivewallpaper, which I'd like to share. It's called Monster Runner and, as it sounds, simply puts a running monster on your homescreen. I was inspired by some Pokemon fanart on deviantart and the characters are therefore also Pokemon-inspired.

I hope you like it and please provide any feedback that you can, to help me improve.

Here's the link for joining the beta: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.PrincyPrincyProductions.MonsterRunnerBeta

Cheers!

26. dmitriy4leex

dmitriy4leex

I a developer of live wallpapers for Android devices and I must first take care of the energy consumption. Every user of smartphone will not want to install the live wallpaper if they consume a lot of energy.

For test the live wallpapers I have several smartphones and it so happened that it on Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 with the firmware MIUI 7 not work pause mode. When I went to the store and back, I found that the battery is discharged by 15%, as if I was playing a game.

I myself not was able to solve the problem and turned to the creator of the plugin uLiveWallpaper - to ZimM. He immediately set to work and solved the problem!

Thanks to ZimM for his help! Thanks for what he has created such a wonderful plugin and provides timely and high-quality support!

1skription likes this.
  27. ZimM

ZimM

Quite simple, but nice! Perhaps maybe add different background options as well. Or even a day-night cycle, it should fit nicely.
    I'd also suggest updating your Unity version, as there were some issues with Unity 5.2.x.
    Keep up your work!
    Thanks for the kind words, and for helping me to actually squash this bug :)

28. ZimM

ZimM

uLiveWallpaper 1.2.1 is now live on Asset Store!

Change log:

Improvements and fixes
    • Workaround for MIUI bug with OS not reporting the wallpaper visibility changes.
    • Fix wallpaper service not being destroyed when wallpaper preview is opened from the launcher when wallpaper is not yet set.
    • Other minor fixes and improvements.

29. ZimM

ZimM

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  30. ZimM

ZimM

@umutg4d
    You haven't shown the actual AndroidManifest.xml file, so I can't really say anything. But make sure you did this:

31. umutg4d

umutg4d

I should have updated to 1.2.0 version. Now it is working. Thanks Zimm.

32. ZimM

ZimM

uLiveWallpaper 1.3.0 is now live on Asset Store!

Change log:

New features
    • Added an option to generate a Unity Activity that is compatible with live wallpaper service. This allows to have both regular Unity application and live wallpaper at the same time.
    Improvements and fixes
    • Fixes for some hard-to-catch bugs.
    • Other minor improvements.

33. spikeee

spikeee

Hi
    just one query
    can i make a simple live wallpaper without any programing skill with this (i am an artist )

Thanks

34. ZimM

ZimM

uLiveWallpaper is a Unity extension, so you need to know how to use Unity first. However, yes, it is possible to use Unity without any programming skill. For example, there is a Unity visual scripting plugin called PlayMaker, which is very popular among artists. uLiveWallpaper features full integration with PlayMaker.

I'd go a bit further and say that Unity+PlayMaker+uLiveWallpaper is definitely the easiest way to make simple live wallpapers without any programming skill :)

35. spikeee

spikeee

Hi

Thanks for the reply

i do know unity, but i use that as a artist ( like setting up levels, environment, GUI setup etc )
    so i guess i can make some wallpaper with this.

so i bought the indie package
    can i upgrade it to pro version later if needed?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  36. seven_

seven_

Hi, the Unity Activity comes in really useful!!
    Do I need to load different scenes myself when receiving UnityActivityResumed/UnityActivityPaused or does the setup allow for different scenes to be played automatically if in wallpaper and application?
    What about disabling sound? Will the sound be disabled in the app as well, as it is the same Unity instance?

37. Philosoraptr

Philosoraptr

Hi ZimM,

I'm having an issue since upgrading to this latest version. The wallpaper just appears as a black screen... There is occasionally some pixelation in the top right which appears to reveal the wallpaper functioning behind the blackness, but otherwise it's just black. I hadn't made any substantial changes to the Unity project prior to installing the new version and an apk created in Unity does still work correctly.

Could you please take a look and let me know what I'm missing? I've attached my AndroidManifest file, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

38. ZimM

ZimM

It's up to you what to do upon receiving those events. But yes, since this is the same Unity instance, it's likely you'll have to switch scenes yourself, if that's what you need.
    Unfortunately, yes, if sound is disabled, then it is disabled. No way to enable it for Activity but disable for the live wallpaper. If only Unity provided an API to enable/disable the sound system at runtime...
    Your AndroidManifest looks fine to me, so the issue is probably somewhere deeper... Please check your PM.

39. theboosted_1

theboosted_1

Quick question for you:
    I added my android icons to the player settings in unity. It seems after building in android studio the icon defaults back to the unity icon. Is there any way for ulivewallpaper to respect app icons in unity? If not what is the best method to change app icons in android studio?

40. theboosted_1

theboosted_1

It seems I had to rebuild the project to get the app icon to show.

41. kumar123k

kumar123k

Hi any chance of making widgets for android ?

42. kumar123k

kumar123k

@ZimM will it be able to make 3d widgets ?

43. umutg4d

umutg4d

Hi Zimm,
    I am using 1.3.0.1 version of uLiveWallpaper, and it gave me this error while i was trying to import my project.

Error:(61, 28) No resource found that matches the given name (at 'theme' with value '@StyLe/uLiveWallpaper.SettingsDefault').
    Error:Execution failed for task ':app:processDebugResources'.
    > com.android.ide.common.process.ProcessException: org.gradle.process.internal.ExecException: Process 'command 'C:\Users\win7\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\build-tools\24.0.0\aapt.exe'' finished with non-zero exit value 1
    The project also has 2 manifest file.First one is in main directory and the other one inside the debug directory.

Attached Files:

44. ZimM

ZimM

That is by design. After creating the Android Studio project, you really should treat it as a regular Android project that just uses Unity for actually rendering stuff. "Update Project" function will only update the uLiveWallpaper and Unity libraries, and actually Unity content, but it won't modify the project itself.
    In Android Studio project, the app icon is a regular PNG file, you can edit it however you want. By default, it is generated at "res/drawable/app_icon.png". There are multiple version of the icon for multiple resolutions, so you must take care of that as well.
    No. Honestly, that sounds like a terrible idea. The whole pointof widgets is to provide user with rarely-updated information, while consuming as small amount of resources as possible. Widget support in Android is optimized with that idea in mind, so making Unity-powered widgets would be extremely inefficient.
    It's clear that you haven't added the LP_uLiveWallpaper.aar library as a reference to your project. Please follow all the steps in the manual carefully.

45. kumar123k

kumar123k

i want to make 3d widgets with very few poly and make it power efficient.
    if there was any chance of making widget pls make it need not to be power efficient as of now we can see if possible in future.

46. ZimM

ZimM

I have no plans to make a widget library. Anyway, this topic is about uLiveWallpaper, let's keep it clean.

47. kumar123k

kumar123k

can we connect to internet from ulive wallpaper ?
    rest api ?

48. Trisibo

Trisibo

This plugin only makes it possible to turn Unity builds into live wallpapers, nothing more. If you want to do anything else, like connect to Internet, you need to do it using either the Unity API, the Android API or the .NET API.

49. kumar123k

kumar123k

i will use unity api to connect to internet if i build apk from android studio will it be preserve the internet connectivity ?

50. Trisibo

Trisibo

Yes