Search Unity

Question UIToolkit Event blocked by IMGUIContainer

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by suxiaodong, Mar 9, 2023.

1. suxiaodong

suxiaodong

Hi, if I want to add a keyboard short-cut for my custom Editor Window, I will write codes like:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. rootVisualElement.focusable = true;
    2. rootVisualElement.RegisterCallback<KeyDownEvent>(evt =>
    3. {
    4.     // check evt.KeyCode and do something
    5. });
    But it does not work in below case.
    - I have a IMGUIContainer to draw something in my window, which take some area.
    - When I click in the area first, then I can't receive KeyDownEvent anymore until I click in other area in window.

What should I do to make my short-cut work correctly?
    And I don't want to reference the child element of type IMGUIContainer from root element, bacause there would be more than one or many.

Thanks!

2. oscarAbraham

oscarAbraham

I'd try passing TrickleDown.TrickleDown as the second parameter to RegisterCallback. That will make your callback receive the KeyDownEvent before IMGUIContainer has a chance to process it.

3. suxiaodong

suxiaodong

upload_2023-3-10_11-40-54.png
    Code (CSharp):
    1. IMGUIContainer imguiContainer = new IMGUIContainer(() =>
    2. {
    3.     GUILayout.Label("IMGUIArea", GUILayout.ExpandWidth(true), GUILayout.ExpandHeight(true));
    5.     if (Event.current.type == EventType.KeyDown)
    6.     {
    7.         Debug.Log("IMGUIArea " + Event.current.keyCode);
    8.     }
    9. });
    10. imguiContainer.RegisterCallback<KeyDownEvent>(evt =>
    11. {
    12.     Debug.Log("IMGUI KeyDownEvent " + evt.keyCode);
    13. });
    15. rootVisualElement.focusable = true;
    16. rootVisualElement.pickingMode = PickingMode.Position;
    17. rootVisualElement.RegisterCallback<KeyDownEvent>(evt =>
    18. {
    19.     Debug.Log("Root KeyDownEvent " + evt.keyCode);
    20. }, TrickleDown.TrickleDown);
    Thanks for your reply! I have tried that way and it doesn't work.

The only way I found now is to set the pickingMode of IMGUIContainer to PickingMode.Ignore, but then the "IMGUIArea event" turn to missing, which is not what I want.

4. suxiaodong

suxiaodong

What confusing me is there is not an "evt.Use()" or "evt.StopPropagation()" at anywhere, seems like the event just pass to the IMGUIContainer itself , rather than the VisualElement Tree.

5. oscarAbraham

oscarAbraham

Hm, that does sound weird. How does your VisualElement hierarchy look?

6. suxiaodong

suxiaodong

It's quite simple. The test window only did “rootVisualElement.Add(imguiContainer)”
    upload_2023-3-14_15-5-4.png

7. oscarAbraham

oscarAbraham

It looks quite simple. I'm not sure what's going on. Keyboard events typically target the focused element, which should trigger a callback in the root element when using TrickleDown. I imagine there's a problem when IMGUIContainers are the target of a keyboard event, as they are not technically the focused element, but something inside them.

I could offer some ideas for a workaround if you tell us more about your use case. For example, Unity has a very powerful system for defining keyboard shortcuts; you could use the ShortcutAttribute with your window's type as the context to define shortcuts that only work in your window.

8. suxiaodong

suxiaodong

Sorry for my latency replay. I's not sure if I got you, Is that what you mean?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [Shortcut("MyWindow/Save", typeof(MyWindow), KeyCode.S, ShortcutModifiers.Ctrl)]
    2.         private static void OnShortCut(ShortcutArguments arguments)
    3.         {
    4.             if (arguments.context is MyWindow)
    5.             {
    6.                 //something
    7.             }
    8.         }
    But there is a conflict shown :
    upload_2023-3-16_18-33-12.png

What I want to do at the beginning is customize my saving process. To save temporary data edited by the user as a set of target data.

Thanks again!

9. oscarAbraham

oscarAbraham

No problem; happy to help :). That was what I meant, but your desired shortcut collides with one already defined by Unity.

Some questions: What kind of data are you saving? Where are you currently saving it? How temporary is this data?

10. suxiaodong

suxiaodong

In my case, there would be 3 steps
    - Read asset file and make a copy of that.
    - Make some pre modifications this copy to make the data from runtime friendly to edit friendly
    - Only when you click "save" button in MyWindow, the original asset would be modified with data changes and post-modifications

So I can't just use normal save. The asset has related with others. And I want to make sure the asset is correctly for runtime use, so it's not like a "configure - save" but a "configure - compile"