Search Unity

uIntelliSense — Unity API Assistant

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ZimM, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Hodgson_SDAS

Hodgson_SDAS

I'm sure it's on Unity Side. I just wanted to let you know cause I'm unsure how to report it to Unity.

"Error: Failed to download." that's it. no console error or anything.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  2. Async0x42

Async0x42

Seems like a connection issue, I've had it a couple times with varying assets, but it's always been a connection issue for me if it says failed to download, and eventually it works (for me)

Hodgson_SDAS likes this.
  3. Unreal-Vision

Unreal-Vision

Hi ZimM,

I have 2 question:

1) After importing and data + vs plugin installation, I would delete uIntellisense from Unity project?

2) uIntellisense would work with Sublime?

Thanks,

4. ZimM

ZimM

1) You can delete it if you are not using Visual Sudio Tools for Unity (aka UnityVS), otherwise you have to keep it in your project.
    2) A more valid question would be: does Sublime supports Visual Studio projects and overall C# context, including ability to load XML documentation for assemblies. The answer is - kinda, see my post on this subject:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ui...unity-api-released.276539/page-2#post-1929450

5. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

6. Unreal-Vision

Unreal-Vision

1) I was wrong in my first question:
    After importing and "INSTALLING" data + vs plugin installation, I would delete uIntellisense from Unity project?

Following your reply:
    1- if I install the first time uIntellisense, for all the next projects, I couldn't reimport another time, right?
    2- You talk about UnityVS pluing for Unity4 right? In case I use Unity5 (that includes VS compatibility by default) I can avoid to import the uIntellisense?

2) Thanks for Sublime info

7. ZimM

ZimM

It does, but only the basic tooltips. The Visual Studio extension is not compatible with VS Code.

8. ZimM

ZimM

No, you have to leave uIntelliSense in the project. That's also true for Unity 5.2, which has UnityVS supoprt built-in.

9. ZimM

ZimM

Good news everyone!

uIntelliSense
    1.6.0 update is now live on Asset Store!

Changelog:
    Unity tool:
    • Added support for Unity IAP and Unity Ads documentation.
    • Preliminary support for Unity Linux Editor.
    • Menu items are now in a separate .cs file for customizability.
    • Fixed original IntelliSense XML files not backing up properly on Unity 5.2+.
    • Minor fixes and improvements.
    Visual Studio extension:
    • Added Unity message methods icons for AssetPostprocessor, AssetModificationProcessor, ScriptableWizard.
    • Fixed error spam when not able to retrieve the base class of the class.
    • Fixed Unity message methods with parameters of Unity types being unavailable.
    • Fixed “Open In Scripting Reference” not working in Visual Studio 2012 and 2013 for Unity message methods.
    • Improved Quick Search ranking algorithm.

10. Jovy83

Jovy83

Hi
    I have tried installing uIntellisense but I'm getting the error:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Error while saving file: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Managed/UnityEngine.xml does not exist
    2. File name: '/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Managed/UnityEngine.xml'
    3.   at System.IO.File.Copy (System.String sourceFileName, System.String destFileName, Boolean overwrite) [0x000bd] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/File.cs:107
    4.   at LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.ElevatedRightsFileOperations+CopyFileOperation.ExecuteDirectly () [0x00000] in G:\PROGRAMMING\Repos\BitBucket\uIntelliSense\Project\Assets\!NotIncluded\Editor\Source\Utilities\ElevatedRightsFileOperations.cs:223
    5.   at LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.ElevatedRightsFileOperations.Execute () [0x00025] in G:\PROGRAMMING\Repos\BitBucket\uIntelliSense\Project\Assets\!NotIncluded\Editor\Source\Utilities\ElevatedRightsFileOperations.cs:38
    6.   at LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.XmlDocsGenerator45.WriteFiles (ICollection`1 assemblyInfos, .MemberInfo[] memberInfos, IEnumerable`1 additionalOperations, IEnumerable`1 additionalFiles) [0x002a2] in G:\PROGRAMMING\Repos\BitBucket\uIntelliSense\Project\Assets\!NotIncluded\Editor\Source\XmlDocsGenerator45.cs:441
    7. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    8. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.XmlDocsGenerator45:WriteFiles(ICollection`1, MemberInfo[], IEnumerable`1, IEnumerable`1) (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGenerator45.cs:443)
    9. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.XmlDocsGenerator45:BuildXmlDocumentation(Boolean) (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGenerator45.cs:97)
    10. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.XmlDocsGeneratorWindow:BuildXmlDocumentation() (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGeneratorWindow.cs:265)
    11. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.XmlDocsGeneratorWindow:Update() (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGeneratorWindow.cs:49)
    12. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()
    Does this mean that the setup failed? Also I'm curious how to uninstall uIntellisense in case I need to in the future. In the plugin's drop down arrow, the option to uninstall is grayed out. I'm on MacOS Yosemite and Unity 5.0.3 by the way. Please let me know.

Thanks.

11. ZimM

ZimM

I've fixed the issue, version 1.6.0.2 should be live in a few hours on Asset Store.
    To uninstall uIntelliSense, you must use the "Uninstall uIntelliSense data" option. If it is grayed out, then this means there is nothing to uninstall (either because installation failed or no attempts to install were made), so don't worry about that.

12. appgecko

appgecko

Hi ZiMM,

I have the same problem as Jovy83. I'm using version 1.6.0.2 with Unity 5.3.1p2 on Mac OSX (El Capitan) and I'm getting a System.IO.FileNotFoundException when I attempt to import uIntelliSense. Here is the full error:

UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Documentation/uIntelliSense" is denied.
    System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectoriesInternal (System.String path) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Directory.cs:131)
    System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory (System.String path) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Directory.cs:96)
    LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.ElevatedRightsFileOperations+CreateDirectoryOperation.ExecuteDirectly () (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/Utilities/ElevatedRightsFileOperations.cs:256)
    LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.ElevatedRightsFileOperations.Execute () (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/Utilities/ElevatedRightsFileOperations.cs:38)
    LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.XmlDocsGenerator45.WriteFiles (ICollection`1 assemblyInfos, .MemberInfo[] memberInfos, IEnumerable`1 additionalOperations, IEnumerable`1 additionalFiles) (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGenerator45.cs:440)
    LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.XmlDocsGenerator45.BuildXmlDocumentation (Boolean isActionButtonPressed) (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGenerator45.cs:96)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.XmlDocsGenerator45:BuildXmlDocumentation(Boolean) (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGenerator45.cs:112)
    LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.XmlDocsGeneratorWindow:BuildXmlDocumentation() (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGeneratorWindow.cs:267)
    LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.XmlDocsGeneratorWindow:Update() (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGeneratorWindow.cs:59)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

Your assistance would be highly appreciated.
    Cheers,

13. ZimM

ZimM

@appgecko
    uIntelliSense 1.6.0.3 just went live. Please try it, the issue should be gone.

14. jprocha101

jprocha101

I am using Visual Studio with this plugin and I am getting an error when building to debug. There are various of these errors pointing to Unity and other assets' namespaces.

I am using Unity 5.3.2p3 and Visual Studio 2015 Community. If I uninstall Unity, reinstall Unity, open my project back up, and DO NOT install Uintellisense then I am able to debug just fine.

Anyone else getting this? Thanks!

Code (CSharp):
    1. The primary reference "UnityEngine.UI" could not be resolved because
    2. it has an indirect dependency on the framework assembly "System.Xml.Linq,
    3. Version=3.5.0.0

15. ZimM

ZimM

It is highly doubtful this issue is actually related to uIntelliSense, as uIntelliSense never modifies the project. It looks the Visual Studio project generation is going wrong somehow. Do you use Visual Studio Tools for Unity? It seems like some people are getting that error as well:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-can-i-show-text-on-screen-of-unity-2d.375090/
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/1126124/systemxmllinq-reference-missing.html
    As suggested in the post at the first link:
    Please try that. Or, perhaps, this is related to API Level and Stripping Level?

I can only guess, since I can't reproduce this issue.

16. jprocha101

jprocha101

I was able to get this working. The issue seems to be with Unity 5.3.2p3 and Visual Studio Tools for Unity. I am getting inconsistent connection behavior as well. About 90% of the time I have to close Unity and VS and reopen to get VS to connect to Unity. I had just upgraded, tried it out, and it worked. Then I installed Uintellisense and it started acting up, but it would have started acting up whether I had installed Uintellisense or not.

I went back to Unity 5.3.2f1 and everything works like a charm now ;)

17. blizzy

blizzy

Hey, I've updated and imported uIntelliSense from the Asset Store, where it says 1.6.0.3, but in the window, it still says 1.6.0.2.

When trying to let it generate data for Unity 5.4 beta (5.4.0b10), it fails with the following error:

Code (CSharp):
    1. InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
    2. System.Linq.Enumerable.Last[MemberInfo] (IEnumerable`1 source)
    3. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.ScriptingReferenceParser45.ParseMethod (System.String filePath, System.String overrideNamespace, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 knownTypes, System.Collections.Generic.List`1& foundMethods) (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/Parsers/ScriptingReferenceParser45.cs:807)
    4. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.ScriptingReferenceParser45.ParseScriptingReference () (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/Parsers/ScriptingReferenceParser45.cs:166)
    5. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.XmlDocsGenerator45.BuildXmlDocumentation (Boolean isActionButtonPressed) (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGenerator45.cs:82)
    6. UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    7. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.XmlDocsGenerator45:BuildXmlDocumentation(Boolean) (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGenerator45.cs:113)
    8. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.XmlDocsGeneratorWindow:BuildXmlDocumentation() (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGeneratorWindow.cs:265)
    9. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.XmlDocsGeneratorWindow:Update() (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGeneratorWindow.cs:49)
    10. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

18. ZimM

ZimM

Thank you for reporting this! In general, I don't support beta versions of Unity, but this was easy to fix. I've fixed the issue and submitted the 1.6.0.4 update to the Asset Store, it should be live within a few hours.

19. blizzy

blizzy

Neat, thank you very much.

20. Setmaster

Setmaster

I'm having trouble changing the highlight color of this window here:

Anyone know where in the font settings this one is located?

21. ZimM

ZimM

That window is not part of uIntelliSense, it belongs to Visual Studio Tools for Unity. I personally don't use the dark theme in VS, so I can't help you. You should ask VSTU devs about this.

22. schmosef

schmosef

@ZimM

I love uIntelliSense. I use it every day. (I've already given it a 5 star review).

I realise that this question is not related to uIntellisense but I thought I'd help out to show my appreciation for your fine asset.

I'm waiting for a UCB build to finish anyway...

@Setmaster

I use a custom theme too (based on Light with Dark Editor).

There are two places in Visual Studio for editing the GUI colours:

1)
    The first place is under "Tools>Options>Environment>Fonts and Colors".

Tools.Options.Environment.FontsAndColours.gif

2)
    But not all the settings are exposed here. The second place you have to look is the theme editor.

You have to have the "Visual Studio Color Theme Editor" installed, which you probably do if you are using the Dark theme (if not, install it via Tools>Extensions and Updates).

Once installed, open "Tools>Customize Colors".

Tools.CustomizeColors.gif

Hover the mouse over the name of your active theme and click the icon to create a copy of the theme. Your copy will appear below in the "Custom Themes" section.

Hover the mouse over the name of your custom theme and click the icon to edit the theme.

EditTheme.gif

Somewhere in those two places, you will find the setting you are looking for. Unfortunately, there are many MANY settings and it might be a lot of trial and error before you find the setting you are looking for.

I have my custom theme exactly how I want it except for one setting: the colour of the intellisense tooltip background. Somehow, I can't find it.

Edit: I found the setting I was missing! Life is good.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  23. ZimM

ZimM

Cool, thanks for the information @schmosef!

24. giraffe1

giraffe1

Hi, I am confused. In MonoDevelop when you hover over code like 'return' & 'this' I get tooltips. These don't appear in VS for some reason.

25. ZimM

ZimM

uIntelliSense has nothing to do with which tooltips are shown and when. It is entirely controlled by VS. That said, I personally do get tooltips over 'this':
    upload_2016-4-19_10-52-37.png
    But 'return'? What kind of useful information can that tooltip possibly give? It's just a C# keyword. MonoDevelop does show a tooltip over 'return', but it's useless:

Do you get something different when using MonoDevelop?

26. giraffe1

giraffe1

Yes, I get the same results as your pics in both VS & Mono.

I just wondered if there is a way to get that tooltip('Summary') that is shown in the Mono pic but in VS.

I am a beginner to coding so that tool tip seen in Mono is very useful to me.

Also I get the same results when I hover over 'this' in VS as your picture. But in Mono when you hover over 'this' I get a 'Summary' tooltip instead.

I was not sure if this is the intended/normal behavior.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  27. ZimM

ZimM

I see. Well, VS doesn't offers tooltips for language keywords. I also can't recall any other IDE other than MonoDevelop that does this. I guess the logic behind this is that these tooltips never change and are the same for any code, so if you already know the language you code in, they will only distract you.

28. giraffe1

giraffe1

Okay thanks for the clarification. I just switched from Mono to VS so I wasn't sure what was going on.

Thank you again.

29. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Will this work and/or is it ok to add it to existing projects? I'm using Unity 5.3.x with Visual Studio and UnityVS

30. ZimM

ZimM

Yes, of course.

31. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Thank you for the quick reply- looks like a great asset- I will be purchasing it then- thx!

32. Novack

Novack

33. ZimM

ZimM

What kind of support do you mean, exactly? AFAIK, Script Inspector 3 supports XML documentation, so basic tips should work already.

34. mcmorry

mcmorry

Hi @ZimM
    The popup of uIntelliSense says "Don't delete uIntelliSense directory to prevent code hints from being overwritten"
    What does it mean?
    I'm on OSX using MonoDevelop. I generated the data and downloaded the additional MS documentation. Can I delete the whole folder now (as stated in the documentation)? If not why?
    Thanks

35. ZimM

ZimM

For OS X, just ignore that message, you can delete the uIntelliSense folder. That message is only actual for Windows.

mcmorry likes this.
  36. ZimM

ZimM

Good news everyone!

uIntelliSense
    1.7.0 update is now live on Asset Store!

Changelog:
    Unity tool:
    • Unity 5.5 support.
    • Fixed documentation data not being updated when Visual Studio Tools for Unity is used.
    • Added support for EditorTestsRunner and HoloLens documentation.
    • Added "Generate Narrow Tooltips" option that limits the size of a single tooltip line. Useful for Visual Studio.
    Visual Studio extension:
    • Preliminary Visual Studio 2017 support.
    • Improved Quick Search performance and accuracy.

schmosef likes this.
  37. zhuchun

zhuchun

I'm using VisualStudio and ReSharper, does this asset supports them? ReSharper changes the native IntelliSense behavior somewhat.

38. ZimM

ZimM

Yes, I'm personally using Visual Studio + ReSharper, no issues with that.

zhuchun likes this.
  39. agentc0re

agentc0re

I am having a problem in Unity 5.5.0p2. I get this error when the installer prompts you that there will be a UAC prompt coming up. The UAC prompt never comes up and this is the error i get.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Exception: Error occured while executing batch, exit code 1. Please launch Unity with administrator privileges and start the process again.
    2. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.ElevatedRightsFileOperations.ExecuteWindowsBatch (System.String batchContent) (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/Utilities/ElevatedRightsFileOperations.cs:114)
    3. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.ElevatedRightsFileOperations.Execute () (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/Utilities/ElevatedRightsFileOperations.cs:69)
    4. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.XmlDocsGenerator45.WriteFiles (ICollection`1 assemblyInfos, .MemberInfo[] memberInfos, IEnumerable`1 additionalOperations, IEnumerable`1 additionalFiles) (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGenerator45.cs:442)
    5. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.XmlDocsGenerator45.BuildXmlDocumentation (LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.ParserSettings parserSettings) (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGenerator45.cs:99)
    6. UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    7. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.XmlDocsGenerator45:BuildXmlDocumentation(ParserSettings) (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGenerator45.cs:115)
    8. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.XmlDocsGeneratorWindow:BuildXmlDocumentation() (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGeneratorWindow.cs:248)
    9. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.XmlDocsGeneratorWindow:<OnGUI>m__20() (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGeneratorWindow.cs:81)
    10. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallDelayFunctions()
    **edit
    Just noticed the "run unity with admin priv." so i'm currently trying that. will report back

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  40. ZimM

ZimM

Hm... I've never seen this issue before, so perhaps it's something very specific to your environment. Can you launch Unity as administrator and try again? This only needs to be done a single time.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  41. agentc0re

agentc0re

starting it as admin made the process finally work. not sure why it just wouldn't bring up the UAC prompt though..

42. ZimM

ZimM

agentc0re and schmosef like this.
  43. schmosef

schmosef

agentc0re likes this.
  44. banksazero

banksazero

Hi
    I installed uIntelliSense but it request UAC permission
    Why it request this are this will issue about security ?

45. ZimM

ZimM

The reason is stated in the message box just before the UAC request. uIntelliSense has to copy the documentation XML files into Unity installation, since Visual Studio expects them there. Those are simple text files, and the permission request is only valid for that operation, so there is no security risk here.

46. schmosef

schmosef

Hi @ZimM,

Visual Studio 2017 released yesterday. Are you going to be releasing an updated extension?

47. ZimM

ZimM

It is already compatible for a long time. Have been using uIntelliSense in VS 2017 RC with no issues.

48. schmosef

schmosef

I tried running the installer and got a warning that it wasn't compatible with VS 2017 and might cause instability. Is it safe to ignore the warning?

49. ZimM

ZimM

Huh, I've just tried reinstalling uIntelliSense and got no such warning. In any case, yes, it is safe to ignore.

50. schmosef

schmosef

Thanks for the clarification. I love your plug-in and wouldn't want to go a day without it!

I'm just in the process of installing Unity 5.5.2p2.

Once that's done, I'll try to install the uIntellisense plug-in again and will take a screenshot of the warning.

I read something about how MS changed how plug-ins work in VS2017 and that's why I thought you might need to do some work it make uIntellisense compatible.