Search Unity

uIntelliSense — Unity API Assistant

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ZimM, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Saxi

Saxi

I've been getting errors lately with uIntellisense plugin.
    VS2015 RC1 Ultimate, it was working for a while then recently I've been seeing this every other day.

2. ZimM

ZimM

Thank you for reporting this. Can you say when exactly does this error pops up? Does it depends on the opened project and the files that are currently opened in Visual Studio?
    This could also just be a bug of VS2015 RC1, since they were rewriting those APIs pretty much from scratch. It's hard to say for sure.
    As a temporary workaround, you can just disable "Show an icon for Unity message methods" checkbox in uIntelliSense options.

3. Saxi

Saxi

Not sure, it has been working ever since I installed it (well before 2015 RC1). It is only the last week or so I started getting the message (and I don't remember installing any new extensions or anything). The Unity icon still seems to work. They are still there before and after the error.

4. Async0x42

Async0x42

I've been using VS2015 since the start and this issue has actually occurred for me since the beginning, finally ended up coming to post about it haha.

The main time I notice it occurring is when typing a method, i.e 'private void ______", usually within the name area it'll pop up the error, but now always, and sometimes multiple times before I'm finished writing the line, but sometimes no errors at all.

Arkade likes this.
  5. betovena

betovena

Hello ZimM, how are you?

I'm using your asset and my mono just can't display the hints. I've tried everything with no success.

I'm using Unity 5.1 and OSx

Cheers!

6. Arkade

Arkade

+1 so I disabled that functionality.
    Er, can't recall whether I reported it previously.

7. ZimM

ZimM

Sorry everyone, I'm on vacation till June 25, far away from my computer. I'll start looking into those issues immediately when I'm back.

8. Jynxter

Jynxter

Heyas ZimM,

I've got the latest Unity and either I'm completely not understanding how this works, or its not working for me.

I installed Unity 5.1.1f1 on a Windows 8.1, OSX Mavericks, and a Windows 10 box, and in all 3 cases Monodevelop doesn't show anything different then it did before when I mouse over a method/function/etc.

I am still very new to unity, and use my Mac for most of my dev hobby time.

I generate the data (takes about 2m) and restart both monodevelop and Unity... Load unity... open a script... and I dont see any difference.

Any insight would be helpful

9. Snazzle

Snazzle

I recently upgraded to 5.1.1f1 also and uintellisense has stopped working. It doesn't seem to be storing the data to file. The xml written out is near empty. Hopefully ZimM can fix this soon.

10. ZimM

ZimM

1.4.3 update is now live on Asset Store!

Changelog:
    • Fixed Unity 5.1 compatibility issues.
    • Added support for UNet and Analytics documentation.
    • Stability improvements in Visual Studio Extension.

@Snazzle, @Jynxter, @Saxi, @Async0x42, @betovena, @Arkade
    Try the latest 1.4.3 update, it should fix all those issues.

11. schmosef

schmosef

I love this tool. Thanks for the update.

12. Async0x42

Async0x42

So far so good, will let you know if I run into it again, thanks!

13. Snazzle

Snazzle

All good here too, thanks ZimM

14. MikeTon

MikeTon

ZimM,

It's working fine on Windows for me. But on the Mac side it fails to recognize any Unity related classes, but does recognize .Net related classes. Here is me trying to autocomplete Debug.Log() :

TryingTocompleteDebugLogJpg.jpg

Any thoughts on what could be going on?

Thanks.

-Mike

15. MikeTon

MikeTon

It looks like it's because this folder is symlinked in. Scripts that I edit directly appear fine. Any thoughts on why that matters? Thanks.

-Mike

16. NalleDer

NalleDer

I'm getting an error with the latest version of uIntellisense, using Visual Studio 2013 and the UnityVS tool.

Error 32 An assembly with the same simple name 'LostPolygon.uIntelliSense, Version=1.4.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null has already been imported. Try removing one of the references or sign them to enable side-by-side.

There is only one reference in the Editor project. Removing it allows me to compile, but the reference keeps getting added again automatically. Any insight on how to fix this?

17. tosiabunio

tosiabunio

After recent upgrade to Windows 10 I started to get the following error:

Visual Studio 2015 with uIntellisense extension installed.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  18. Wompipomp

Wompipomp

Hi,

thanks for the addin. Recently I found out that I can insert any unity method with uIntellisense and don't have to find out the signature of the method myself :)

But I think I have found a small bug.
    Setup: I have got Unity 5.1.1f1, Visual Studio 2015 Community, uIntelliSense 1.4.3

1. Create a test C# Script in Unity
    2. Open Visual Studio
    3. Open the test class in VS
    4. Delete the MonoBehaviour behind the test class (public class test : { })
    5. Save
    6. Close the tab in VS
    7. Double Click the test class to open again
    8. VS hangs

First I thought this is a VS Bug but if I deactivate uIntelliSense it works fine.
    I had similar problem with Namespaces.

Add a test1 class
    Add a test2 class
    Let test2 derive from test1 not from MonoBehaviour and close the file tab
    Go to test1 and put test1 into a namespace
    open test2
    VS hangs

Attached a psr report. Unfortunately it is in german but the screenshots should give you the idea.

Best regards
    Mark

Attached Files:

• Bug.zip
      File size:
      319.5 KB
      Views:
  19. ngordon

ngordon

There is some permissions issue on Windows 10 that cause uIntelliSense to fail on VS2015 Community. It can be bypassed, but it was annoying and confusing when it happened the first time.

When I execute "Generate IntelliSense data" in a blank project, it never reaches beyond the UAC stage and displays various kinds of Win32Exception. However, when I "Run as Administrator", I'm able to generate data and use uIntelliSense normally and without error.

I don't have time to further explore this, I hope it's enough to locate the issue and help others in the meantime.

20. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Same here on OSX! I had to run Unity and UIntellisens as administrator to generate useable data! Now it`s fine.
    OSX 10.9 Unity 5.02f1
    Cheers Michael

21. schmosef

schmosef

Hi @ZimM,

I'm not sure if this is a known issue. I'm sorry if this has already been reported.

Every time I launch Visual Studio, whether I'm working on a Unity project or something else, VS informs me that a plug-in has thrown an error and tells me to check the Activity Log.

Here's the error that appears in the log:

Code (XML):
    1.   <entry>
    2.     <record>700</record>
    3.     <time>2015/08/19 07:25:13.001</time>
    4.     <type>Error</type>
    5.     <source>Editor or Editor Extension</source>
    6.     <description>System.NotImplementedException: The method or operation is not implemented.&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.SecondaryVsTextBufferAdapter.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IPersistFileFormat.GetCurFile(String&amp; ppszFilename, UInt32&amp; pnFormatIndex)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.VisualStudio.Extensions.VisualStudioExtensions.GetProjectItem(ITextBuffer buffer, DTE2 dte2) in g:\PROGRAMMING\Repos\BitBucket\uIntelliSense\VisualStudioSolution\LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.VisualStudio\Extensions\VisualStudioExtensions.cs:line 44&#x000D;&#x000A;   at LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.VisualStudio.Augmentations.UnityMessageMethodTaggerProvider.CreateTagger[T](ITextBuffer buffer) in g:\PROGRAMMING\Repos\BitBucket\uIntelliSense\VisualStudioSolution\LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.VisualStudio\Augmentations\UnityMessageMethodTaggerProvider.cs:line 35&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Tagging.Implementation.TagAggregator`1.GatherTaggers(ITextBuffer textBuffer)</description>
    7.   </entry>
    The error only appears once after I launch VS and it doesn't seem to cause any other issues. I'm generally using VS 2015 these days but I've also seen this with VS 2013. I'm using VS Pro, if that matters.

The error goes away if I uninstall the uIntellisense VS plug-in.

Anyway, it's not a show stopper issue but it would be nice if it could be resolved.

Let me know if there is something I can do to help you troubleshoot this further.

22. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I am generating docs at the beginning of my project. Do I need to generate new docs as I add assets? For example, if I import a package from the asset store.

23. Simon_says

Simon_says

Is there any video of this asset in action? I'm quite confused what could this asset give me except the documentation, as I know Unity API and I get auto complete in my VS 2015 Enterprise for all unity related functions.

24. Adquizition

Adquizition

I installed this in my project, ran the generator, shut down Unity and MonoDevelop, and reopened Unity and MonoDevelop a few minutes later. I don't see any difference in MonoDevelop so it seems like I am missing something easy, but couldn't find an answer in your pdf. I'm a Unity Pro user on Mac so I don't have Visual Studio as you mentioned above. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

25. ZimM

ZimM

Sorry for the slow response everyone, for some weird reason I wasn't getting any notifications about new posts in this thread :(

I am preparing an update that'll fix all the bugs that were reported lately, it should be finished and live in a few days.

@MikeTon
    It doesn't actually seems to be an uIntelliSense issue, as uIntelliSense has nothing to do with autocompletion. Probably something is wrong in your environment? Probably MonoDevelop behaves weird with symlinked directories? Hard to say, but I really doubt uIntelliSense has anything to do with this.

@NalleDer
    This obviously looks like you have uIntelliSense imported more than one time into different directories in your project. As a result, you have two assemblies with the same name added to the project. This has nothing to do with uIntelliSense itself, just check your project for redundant installations.

@tosiabunio
    Thank you for reporting, fixed that!

@Wompipomp
    Thanks a lot for the detailed bug report! Fixed it :)

@ngordon
    This is the very first time this issue is reported, and I've tested uIntelliSense on Windows 7-10 on maximum level UAC enabled, so I can't reproduce this, unfortunately. I would appreciate a lot if you'll send me full exception messages so I can investigate the issue.

@mensch.mueller
    Ouch. I'm always running from administrator on my test OS X, so this slipped through. I'll see if I can elevate the rights from within uIntelliSense (like how it's done for Windows), but meanwhile - yes, running Unity from administrator is the recommended workaround. I hope it's not a big problem since you only need to do that once.

@schmosef
    Thank you for reporting, fixed that!

@Tinjaw
    You only need to that once per Unity installation. Basically, each time you update or install Unity. No need to generate docs per-project or after you import some assets.

@Simon_says
    There is no video of uIntelliSense in action, but there is a PDF manual included, it describes all the features and how to use them pretty well.

@Adquizition
    As I was pointed out, there is some kind of issue when trying to generate data on OS X when running from a user with limited privileges. Try running Unity as administrator and generating uIntelliSense data then. This should only be done once.

Tinjaw and tosiabunio like this.
  26. tosiabunio

tosiabunio

After upgrade to 5.2 I get the following error:

Code (CSharp):
    1. [Error] Exception while trying to update UnityVS XML:
    2. System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Managed\UnityEngine.xml" or "Library\UnityAssemblies\UnityEngine.xml" is denied.
    3. 0.   at System.IO.File.Copy()
    4. 1.   at LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.UnityVsUpdater.UpdateUnityVsXml()
    5. 2. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.UnityVsUpdater.UpdateUnityVsXml() at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/UnityVsUpdater.cs:55
    6. 3. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.UnityVsUpdater.UpdateHandler() at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/!NotIncluded/Editor/Source/UnityVsUpdater.cs:101
    7. 4. UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()
    This may also be related to Windows 10 and its file permissions.

27. ZimM

ZimM

@tosiabunio
    Thanks for reporting, I'll take a closer look. Seems like it is somehow related to installing Unity into "C:\Program Files\" folder. Are you running from administrator account? Do you have UAC enabled? From the error, it seems like uIntelliSense can't detect that you are running Unity with limited rights.
    Is there anything specific you might know about Windows 10 file permissions?

28. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I just upgraded from 5.1.2 to 5.1.3. Do I need to rerun uIntelliSense? If I need to it is not available.

29. ZimM

ZimM

Yes, you need to rerun uIntelliSense, but why is it unavailable is a complete mystery. It's definitely not disabled by me in the code. Try deleting uIntelliSense from your project, restarting Unity, importing uIntelliSense back and see if it works for you.

30. DPoli

DPoli

How to remove uIntelliSense after installing it? Not just the project folders but the whole thing? (Want to know if I can revert everything before I install it...)

31. ZimM

ZimM

Open uIntelliSense window, click the triangle button, click "Uninstall uIntelliSense data". If you are using the Visual Studio extension, you have to do it from "Tools → Extensions and Updates..." window in Visual Studio.

32. tosiabunio

tosiabunio

This is 64-bit editor installed into default folder "C:\Program Files\Unity". The editor is run in admistrator mode. UAC is disabled. My system is an upgrade from Windows 7 and Windows 10 handles file permissions in a different way - I don't know exact differences but a lot has changed.

33. ZimM

ZimM

Thank you, I've reproduced the issue, it should be gone in the next update. It isn't related to UAC or Windows 10 at all, it's just Visual Studio locks the access to the documentation files for some reason. This only happens if Visual Studio Tools for Unity are used.

34. ZimM

ZimM

1.5.0 update is now live on Asset Store!

This release contains a ton of fixes and improvements. I've worked hard to make this the most stable and convenient version of uIntelliSense yet.

Changelog:
    Unity tool:
    • Improved compatibility with Unity 5.2.
    • Parsing improvements, generates cleaner data now.
    • Greatly improved handling of UAC on Windows and users with limited access on OS X.
    • Fixed "Uninstall uIntelliSense data" button always being enabled on Unity 5.1 and newer.
    • Original documentation data is now automatically backed up when generating uIntelliSense documentation and restored when deleting (Unity 5.1 and newer).
    • Fixed error message spam caused by Visual Studio locking the documentation data files when Visual Studio Tools for Unity is used.
    • Fixed being unable to install documentation data if current project had path with Unicode symbols in it.
    • Generally better handling of errors and some edge cases.
    Visual Studio extension:
    • Fixed invisible labels in extension settings.
    • Fixed crash when opening a document that has no path.
    • Automatically scale the Quick View window according to system DPI settings.
    • Added support for Back/Forward mouse buttons and Ctrl+Left/Right Arrow in the Quick View tool window for navigation.
    • Quick View window can’t now be used as a drag-n-drop target.
    • Fixed some color scheme issues in Quick View tool window.
    • Fixed infinite loop when base class of the class that is currently edited couldn’t be detected.
    • Added MonoBehaviour.OnTransformParentChanged and MonoBehaviour.OnTransformChildrenChanged to the list of message methods.
    • "Open In Scripting Reference" now works with Unity message methods.
    • "Open In Scripting Reference" now opens type documentation if no documentation for constructor was found.
    • Added "Default zoom" value to the settings, allows setting the initial zoom in Quick View tool window.
    • Increased search results count limit from 50 to 75 in Quick Search.
    • Performance improvements.

tosiabunio likes this.
  35. electroflame

electroflame

I've got an interesting issue with uIntellisense and VS 2015.

A picture's worth a thousand words, so rather than try to explain it (probably poorly!) I'll just show you:
    LOL2.png

Everything's normal, except for the strange LOL2 tab at the bottom. I can't figure out how to remove it, short of disabling the uIntellisense Visual Studio extension (or rolling back to an earlier version).

Any ideas? I didn't have this issue before updating to the latest version, if it's any help.

36. ZimM

ZimM

@electroflame
    Thank you for noticing! Sorry, that's one of my experiments slipped through. I've already updated uIntelliSense to version 1.5.0.1 that fixes this issue, but it make take a few hours for update to appear on Asset Store. Just update the Visual Studio extension, no need to regenerate data.

37. electroflame

electroflame

Ah, alright. No worries, then. :)

I'll just check for the updated version tomorrow and update. Thanks for the quick fix!

38. falo

falo

Just bought the extension - great job. Two issues I've noticed while testing:

- I'm not getting the Unity method icons for Collision/TriggerEnter (2D or non-2D). As a result, it also won't let me view their docs using the scripting reference. I haven't explored all Unity methods to see if this is common elsewhere (Start, Update, DrawGizmos fine in the scripts I have open right now). I've tried regenerating the intellisense data, but that hasn't helped.
    - While the scripting reference isn't available for non-Unity entities, if I use the shortcut key when on non-Unity code then it won't work when I try to use the shortcut again back on any proper Unity code. This can be fixed either by using the Open Scripting Reference from the context menu, waiting a while (few seconds maybe?), or by navigating with the keyboard elsewhere (i.e. this block only happens if I use the mouse to navigate between spots where I test the shortcut - shout if that doesn't make sense and I'll PM you a worked example).

Windows 10
    VS Community 2015

39. electroflame

electroflame

Just a quick update that 1.5.0.1 fixed my issue. Thanks for the quick update @ZimM!

40. ZimM

ZimM

@falo
    Thank you for reporting. The first issue is an oversight, I've just fixed it. The second one actually sounds like a Visual Studio bug, but I've came up with a good enough workaround. I've already pushed the update to 1.5.1 to the Asset Store, it should be live in a few hours.

falo likes this.
  41. daisySa

daisySa

After updating to the latest version of uIntellisense (that arrived in the Asset Store today), I get the following error (Unity 5.1.3f1 on OS X 10.10.5):

Unhandled Exception: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

Uninstalling uIntellisense and deleting the folder fixes the issue.

42. falo

falo

Confirmed both fixed in the latest version. Thanks for the swift turnaround!

43. ZimM

ZimM

Can't confirm that. Just tried the latest uIntelliSense in unity 5.1.3 in OS X, and it works fine. Try re-importing the package and restarting Unity.

44. daisySa

daisySa

Sure - I just imported 1.5.0.1 onto a different Mac running OS X 10.10.5 and Unity 5.1.2f1, and got the same error. Here’s the full output:

Unhandled Exception: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
    at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
    at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.CSharp.RootNamespace.ComputeNamespaces (System.Reflection.Assembly assembly, System.Type extensionType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.CSharp.RootNamespace.ComputeNamespace (Mono.CSharp.CompilerContext ctx, System.Type extensionType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.CSharp.GlobalRootNamespace.ComputeNamespaces (Mono.CSharp.CompilerContext ctx) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.CSharp.Driver.LoadReferences () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Compile () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

The error is still there after restarting Unity. The only way to clear it is to delete uIntellisense from the project. :(

Note, the previous release of uIntellisense worked fine with no issues.

45. Talsidor

Talsidor

I got that too, Unity 5.1.0f3 on Windows 8.1. Deleting and re-importing fixed it for me.

46. daisySa

daisySa

Well, that's weird - I just tried reimporting it (rather than importing it on a different machine) - and now it works. Must be an issue in Unity's import process.

Anyway, all good now - thanks for your help ZimM and Talsidor.

47. Saxi

Saxi

Any idea what would cause this with the VS extension when trying to change namespace for classes?

48. ZimM

ZimM

@Saxi
    Fixed that, should be gone in the next update.

49. Hodgson_SDAS

Hodgson_SDAS

Fails to download from the asset store in 5.2.0f3, 5.2.0p1, & 5.1.3p3

50. ZimM

ZimM

I have no control over Asset Store and over how Unity downloads packages from it. Also, it downloads fine for everyone else. Could you elaborate? What error are you getting?

Hodgson_SDAS likes this.