Search Unity

uIntelliSense — Unity API Assistant

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ZimM, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Gaurav-Gulati

Gaurav-Gulati

Not working in Unity 4.3.0.Please help.
    Everytime i click on "Generate IntelliSense" data,i get this error.
    Error while processing documentation. Are you sure you have Unity documentation installed and intact?

Though documentation is properly installed.

2. ZimM

ZimM

uIntelliSense only supports Unity 4.5.0 and newer, it won't work on older versions. If you really want to have hints in Unity 4.3, you can generate the data in Unity 4.5 or newer, and then just copy them.
    For 4.3, you'll only need these to copy these files:
    <Unity installation>\Data\Managed\UnityEngine.xml
    <Unity installation>\Data\Managed\UnityEditor.xml

3. Gaurav-Gulati

Gaurav-Gulati

Hi,
    Can you explain above procedure again in detail,still didn't got last 3 lines :)

4. ZimM

ZimM

For example, you have Unity 4.3.0 installed in directory "e:\PROGRAMMING\Unity_4.3.0\" and Unity 4.5.0 in "e:\PROGRAMMING\Unity_4.5.0\".
    Generate the documentation in Unity 4.5.0. After that, copy these two files:
    e:\PROGRAMMING\Unity_4.5.0\Data\Managed\UnityEngine.xml
    e:\PROGRAMMING\Unity_4.5.0\Data\Managed\UnityEditor.xml

into Unity 4.3.0 accordingly as:
    e:\PROGRAMMING\Unity_4.3.0\Data\Managed\UnityEngine.xml
    e:\PROGRAMMING\Unity_4.3.0\Data\Managed\UnityEditor.xml

5. Gaurav-Gulati

Gaurav-Gulati

Actually I am using mac OSX,any solution to that one?

6. ZimM

ZimM

That makes no difference really. The folder structure is a bit different, but the idea is the same.

7. twobob

twobob

5.0 main release.

few bits reported as missing meta - that I thought I should at least make a note of here, doubtless you already know this.
    Code (csharp):
    2. Hashtable in WWW-ctor.html
    3. StateMachineBehaviourInfo[] in Animations.AnimatorController.SetStateEffectiveBehaviours.html
    4. StateMachineBehaviourInfo[] in Animations.AnimatorControllerLayer.SetOverrideBehaviours.html
    5. UnityEvent_1 in Events.UnityEventTools.AddPersistentListener.html
    6. UnityAction_1 in Events.UnityEventTools.AddPersistentListener.html
    7. UnityEvent_2 in Events.UnityEventTools.AddPersistentListener.html
    8. UnityAction_2 in Events.UnityEventTools.AddPersistentListener.html
    9. UnityEvent_3 in Events.UnityEventTools.AddPersistentListener.html
    10. UnityAction_3 in Events.UnityEventTools.AddPersistentListener.html
    11. UnityEvent_4 in Events.UnityEventTools.AddPersistentListener.html
    12. UnityAction_4 in Events.UnityEventTools.AddPersistentListener.html
    13. UnityEvent_1 in Events.UnityEventTools.RegisterPersistentListener.html
    14. UnityAction_1 in Events.UnityEventTools.RegisterPersistentListener.html
    15. UnityEvent_2 in Events.UnityEventTools.RegisterPersistentListener.html
    16. UnityAction_2 in Events.UnityEventTools.RegisterPersistentListener.html
    17. UnityEvent_3 in Events.UnityEventTools.RegisterPersistentListener.html
    18. UnityAction_3 in Events.UnityEventTools.RegisterPersistentListener.html
    19. UnityEvent_4 in Events.UnityEventTools.RegisterPersistentListener.html
    20. UnityAction_4 in Events.UnityEventTools.RegisterPersistentListener.html
    21. UnityAction_1 in Events.UnityEventTools.RemovePersistentListener.html
    22. UnityAction_2 in Events.UnityEventTools.RemovePersistentListener.html
    23. UnityAction_3 in Events.UnityEventTools.RemovePersistentListener.html
    24. UnityAction_4 in Events.UnityEventTools.RemovePersistentListener.html
    25. ObjectReferenceKeyframe[] in AnimationUtility.SetObjectReferenceCurve.html
    26. StaticOcclusionCullingMode in StaticOcclusionCulling.Compute.html
    27. TextureImportInstructions in TextureImporter.ReadTextureImportInstructions.html

and then I get this when importing the extension

fail.JPG

I will mail you that xml file if you provide with with a RL email.

However in the absence of requiring the bulk, here are the highlights I think

Code (csharp):
    2.   <entry>
    3.   <record>448</record>
    4.   <time>2015/03/04 11:24:34.124</time>
    5.   <type>Information</type>
    6.   <source>VisualStudio</source>
    7.   <description>Begin package load [Package]</description>
    8.   <guid>{0E81CA13-78B7-40FC-9316-27B36FA81F70}</guid>
    9.   </entry>
    10.   <entry>
    11.   <record>449</record>
    12.   <time>2015/03/04 11:24:34.326</time>
    13.   <type>Error</type>
    14.   <source>VisualStudio</source>
    15.   <description>SetSite failed for package [Package]</description>
    16.   <guid>{0E81CA13-78B7-40FC-9316-27B36FA81F70}</guid>
    17.   <hr>80070002</hr>
    18.   <errorinfo>d:\Program Files (x86)\Unity\AssetServer\Unity.exe</errorinfo>
    19.   </entry>
    20.   <entry>
    21.   <record>450</record>
    22.   <time>2015/03/04 11:24:34.335</time>
    23.   <type>Error</type>
    24.   <source>VisualStudio</source>
    25.   <description>End package load [Package]</description>
    26.   <guid>{0E81CA13-78B7-40FC-9316-27B36FA81F70}</guid>
    27.   <hr>80070002</hr>
    28.   <errorinfo>d:\Program Files (x86)\Unity\AssetServer\Unity.exe</errorinfo>
    29.   </entry>
    Is that choking on the Asset Server? (which we no longer use since it epically fails mid-project)
    cheers

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  8. twobob

twobob

This error is happening every time I open Visual Studio now.

GAH, And it's killing my code completion. *grumpy face*

I'll go try disabling it

EDIT: Works perfectly when your thing is disabled. Cheers

9. ZimM

ZimM

Sorry for the slow reply.
    Yes, I'm aware about this, and the problem is on the Unity side. I'll probably go send them a bug report so they could fix this, since it's not beta anymore.

I've fixed the issue you were seeing, update to 1.3.0.3 is already live on the Asset Store. You were right, uIntelliSense was mistakingly identifying the Asset Server installation folder as a Unity installation folder.

10. twobob

twobob

Great, Well I will wait for that to trickle down then. And I will go use the update that is on the store.

For some reason I don't get a "NEW VERSION IS AVAILABLE" inside my client (Asset store TAB) anymore.

Sigh
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  11. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

Firstly, thank you so much for producing a fantastic product -- it has been invaluable for me thus far!

Secondly, do you have any plans on providing an option for uIntelliSense's Unity Script Reference to match Visual Studios' dark theme? As this window is literally the only bright window in my entire workflow (I have a browser mod to make Unity's sites dark), it can be quite jarring.

Thank you so much in advance for your response!

12. ZimM

ZimM

Thanks!
    The color pallete change is a great idea I've just overlooked as I use Blue theme all the time. I'll definitely add this in the next update.

13. VacuumBreather

VacuumBreather

Very nice asset. Just bought it. THe only thing that doesn't seem to work is the Reference Window in Visual Studio. I'm using VS2013 and it keeps telling me that the active content is being blocked for security. However once I click that message bar and tell VS to allow the content, the window turns blank and remains that way. So I cannot access the reference in that window. I'm pretty happy with the intellisense alone but I'd be greatful for any insight in how to resolve this issue (oh yes and VS theme support is a must. I'm working with a justom color scheme and that bright white window is a huge annoyance so even once it works I won't keep it open all the time until proper theme support is added. You should lookup the colors of other the tool windows and use those to match whatever look the user has set up.
    Otherwise great work, keep going :)

14. Tanel

Tanel

Hi!

I'd like to ask what's the state of this asset supporting Unity 5?

15. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

Many thanks, sir! Again, thank you so much!

16. ZimM

ZimM

Interesting. This seems to be related with Internet Security settings of Internet Explorer, since uIntelliSense uses it internally to display the scripting reference. I'll research on what can be done on my side, but meanwhile, you can try lowering the security level (Internet Explorer → Tools → Internet Options → Security → Internet zone). What Windows version do you use, and what version of Internet Explorer is installed in your system?

Theme support is internally ready by now :) It looks like this for a dark theme:
    upload_2015-3-8_2-14-16.png

And it adapts pretty well for custom themes too.

S_Darkwell likes this.
  17. ZimM

ZimM

State of Unity 5 support is simple: Unity 5 is fully supported :)

Tanel likes this.
  18. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

The new theme looks excellent!

19. ZimM

ZimM

Oh and by the way, I recently found out that you don't really need to have the Scripting Reference tool window visible all the time. The best way to use it is to enable Auto-hide for that window (pin icon at the right of window title) and dock to the left/right side of Visual Studio. That way the Scripting Reference Window automatically shows up when you request it via Quick Search or "Open in Scripting Reference" context menu item, and hides when you click anywhere outside of it.
    This is nice because that way the window doesn't takes any screen space, and you can actually make it big enough for more comfortable reading.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    S_Darkwell likes this.
  20. Tanel

Tanel

Just got it and it works great! I especially love the search functionality.

The asset store gives a warning of a possible incompatibility with Unity 5, but as the author said, it is supported.

21. VacuumBreather

VacuumBreather

I tried lowering that, to no avail. I also activated "execute active content on local computer" (paraphrasing out of memory) in the security settings but that also doesn't help. I'm on WIndows 7 64bit, IE 11 is installed.

22. ZimM

ZimM

Could you try lowering security levels and disable Protected mode for all the zones, just to see if it works?
    Could you also PM me with a screenshot of the "message bar" you're seeing? I've tried to reproduce it, but with no success.

23. ZimM

ZimM

Strange, I've just tried downloading it myself and there weren't any warning like that. I'll investigate why this happens, but uIntelliSense definitely works with Unity 5.

24. Tanel

Tanel

It probably gives it when you try to buy it (that's why I came here asking about compatibility in the first place).

25. ZimM

ZimM

1.4.0 update is now live on Asset Store!

Changelog:
    • Improved Unity 5 support.
    • Added downloading of .NET classes documentation for OS X.
    • Added theme support for Visual Studio Extension. It automatically adapts for the current Visual Studio theme.
    • Visual Studio Extension now saves the scrolling position when navigating in history or refreshing the page.
    • Improved operation of Visual Studio Extension when working on projects generated by Visual Studio Tools for Unity.
    • Removed navigation sounds in Visual Studio Extension when Internet Explorer 8 is installed in the system.
    • Adjusted security policy, Internet Explorer information bar should not appear anymore.
    • Stability improvements.

S_Darkwell likes this.
  26. Snazzle

Snazzle

I just upgraded to 1.4.0 and I can't get the Scripting Reference window to work either. Intellisense is working great, but the reference window just displays "No suitable documentation data found in any Unity installation. Please regenerate uIntelliSense data."
    But regenerating doesn't fix anything. Using Unity 5, VS2013, Win 8.1

27. ZimM

ZimM

That's strange. Are you using Visual Studio Tools for Unity? Open "Tools → Settings → uIntelliSense". Is there anything set in the "Default Unity root path"? Try selecting your Unity folder manually there.

28. Snazzle

Snazzle

No there's nothing in the root path field. I tried entering my Unity path as you suggested but that still didn't solve it. Also, it didn't actually seem to retain the value. When I went back to the options dialog the root path field was empty again.

29. ZimM

ZimM

That's really weird. It only retains the value if it finds a compatible Unity version with uIntelliSense data installed at that path. Did it worked for you with the previous version? Try uninstalling the uIntelliSense data, then delete this folder if it is present: '<Unity>\Editor\Data\Documentation\uIntelliSense", then try generating data again.

30. VacuumBreather

VacuumBreather

Here you go
    error.jpg

31. Bluntweapon

Bluntweapon

Would like to say here that I also get the "No Suitable Documentation" issue. Also can't retain value in root path field. Also VS2013, Unity 5, Win 7. Tried uninstalling intellisense data, couldn't see any change.

32. BigBite

BigBite

Getting this as well:No suitable documentation data found in any Unity installation. Please regenerate uIntelliSense data. I regenerated the data a couple of times.Haven't tried any of the other suggested fixes yet, I would like to use it but I could do without for now. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

33. Wompipomp

Wompipomp

Hi,

same Problem here. If I open the window in VS 2013 then there comes No Suitable Documentation because the <Unity>\Editor\Data\Documentation\uIntelliSense folder is empty. I am using VS 2013 with Unity5(x64) and Win8.
    If I start the generation, the xml data gets generated in my current project temp folder with kind of these file names: UnityTempFile-f3e99517f6d9a294fb53891abafda0b4. Then the uac pops up to copy the data into the <Unity>\Editor\Data\Documentation\uIntelliSense folder. But the data is never copied. The uIntelliSense folder will be created if I delete it but the folder is empty.
    What commands do you execute in the cmd when the uac shows up. Unfortunately I can't easily look into it because of the uac :) Maybe there is a problem with a path or that it cannot find a folder.

Hope this helps for bugfixing :)

ZimM likes this.
  34. ZimM

ZimM

Thanks a lot @Wompipomp!
    Indeed, with your pointers I've found a certain issue with paths when UAC is active in the system. I've fixed the bug and submitted the update to the Asset Store, it should be live soon :)
    EDIT: update to 1.4.1 is now live.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  35. Bluntweapon

Bluntweapon

Whoa, hey now it's fixed! Thanks @ZimM !

I totally didn't catch on that the documentation folder wasn't suppose to be empty. Just figured it was doing some crazy hidden file voodoo and that it's supposed to look like that.

36. Snazzle

Snazzle

Can confirm it's now working for me too. Cheers @ZimM

37. schmosef

schmosef

Thanks for developing this awesome asset. It's truly an essential tool. I gave a 5 star review.

ZimM likes this.
  38. VacuumBreather

VacuumBreather

Unfortunately I have to report I'M still getting the "blocked content" bar with the new version.

39. ZimM

ZimM

That really is unfortunate :/ I did some research and it turns out that actually fixing this is a lot more work than I've expected. It's not impossible, and I'll fix this eventually, but for the moment, I can't advise you anything else than try disabling that information bar somehow. It seems like something quite specific to your Windows setup, as there were no other reports about this issue, and I'm personally not even sure how to reproduce it - whatever I tried, I can't make that information bar appear for me.

40. Wompipomp

Wompipomp

Hi,

just for interest.
    If you open the Unity Scripting Reference window and click on it with right mouse button and go to "show source code"(or similar) to view the html code. After that a editor window with the html code opens. Is there a Tag in the second line like <!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->?

41. ZimM

ZimM

Ouch, the fact that you can actually open the Internet Explorer context menu is a bug in the last version, you shouldn't be able to see all that. In any case, that Mark-of-Web tag is always added. The actual source of the problem is actually much more involved. uIntelliSense shouldn't rely on whatever security policies Internet Explorer has on a machine, instead it should create it's own policy, but that's something very convoluted :/

42. Arkade

Arkade

Just upgraded uIntellisense to 1.4.1 with Unity VS latest and Visual Studio 2015 CTP 1 (1 out of date) on Windows 8.
    Labels are missing for the two tick boxes. (see attached)
    I can tell what they are supposed to be from documentation but thought you'd want to know.
    HTH.

Attached Files:

43. ZimM

ZimM

Thanks for reporting this. This is the first time I see this issue, and, unfortunately, I can't reproduce it on my machine, and I'm running Windows 8.1 as well. It looks like it's somehow related to the color scheme, but I'm not exactly sure. Do you have any custom color settings in Windows or Visual Studio?

44. Arkade

Arkade

Just default dark AFAIK. Anything more I can do to help?

45. ZimM

ZimM

I really can't think of anything that can be causing this. But considering this is the only case of this issue, maybe this is an problem in VS 2015 CTP? I've tested with 2015 CTP 6 and it looked as it should with dark theme. And the controls have no special styling, so in any case it doesn't looks like my bug.

46. Incos

Incos

I did notice the same bug Arkade mentioned as well (using Windows 7, Visual Studio 2013 and 2015 RC) when opening "Tools -> Options -> uIntelliSense" from Visual Studio. It seems though that this only happens when you open up a script from within Unity. If you start Visual Studio manually (e.g from the start menu shortcut), everything works as intended.

I'm having a different problem though that I was hoping you could help me with. When I open the "Tools -> Lost Polygon -> uIntellisense" window and click the "Generate Intellisense Data" button, I get an error message (see below). The paths listed in the error seems to be from the LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.dll.mdb file which references the original source files.

I'm using Unity 5.0.1p3 and uIntellisense 1.4.1.0 on Windows 7, and have also tried to redownload and reimport the package into an empty project.

In advance, thanks!

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    Arkade likes this.
  47. Arkade

Arkade

Thanks for validating my sanity! It's not @ZimM problem -- must be something about my setup since I've noticed it in ReSharper trial too. Btw, I did update to CTP6 and saw/see the same problem. Oh well.

48. ZimM

ZimM

@Incos
    This is a new issue with Unity 5.0.1. It's already fixed in uIntelliSense update 1.4.2, which is now live on the Asset Store. Please try the updated version and see if it works for you.
    Well, yeah, since that happens with ReSharper too, I must assume this is probably an issue with some very specific setup, or maybe just an ongoing bug in VS 2015. I don't think I can do anything with it, unfortunately.

49. Incos

Incos

Just tried the new version and everything works as intended now.

Thank you very much for taking care of the issue so fast! :D

Even though its not your fault, I thought I should leave a quick observation about the other problem in case anyone other was looking for an answer. The issue seems to be connected to UnityVS. If you open up the .csproj file UnityVS generates in a text editor and look at line 13, you'll see:

<ProjectTypeGuids>{E097FAD1-6243-4DAD-9C02-E9B9EFC3FFC1};{FAE04EC0-301F-11D3-BF4B-00C04F79EFBC}</ProjectTypeGuids>

By deleting the whole line, or removing "{E097FAD1-6243-4DAD-9C02-E9B9EFC3FFC1};" the uIntelliSense window displays all the text. That said, I'm not sure if deleting the line would cause any other issues from within VS.

In any case, thanks again and keep up the good work :)

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  50. ZimM

ZimM

Yup, seems like a UnityVS related issue. Thanks for sharing this, but it'd also recommend sending a bugreport to UnityVS developers so they can actually fix this themselves.

What has also been noticed is that IntelliSense hints for the standard .NET libraries do not show up when using UnityVS, but do show perfectly without it.

Arkade likes this.