Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Uinity and GUI.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Antonios, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Antonios

Antonios

I am dealing with User Interface design. How easy is to use the Unity engine in order to build 2d or 3d interfaces for various projects e.g. multimedia, stand alone.

2. Zorbtek

Zorbtek

Interesting idea, I don't have Unity - yet, but I did wonder the same thing myself.

I wish more details about this product was given... For me there are just toooooo many questions for me to ask...

3. gsnyder

gsnyder

Antonios:
    It's fairly easy to do both. Since a good interface is mostly about simplicity and usability, the Race Car Demo gives a good taste of how to set up a basic 2D interface. You have guiText, guiTextures, and a scripting core built around JavaScript that can trigger all sorts of responses to button presses.

Making a 3D interface should be very similar, just with 3D art assets underneath the 2D interface layer.

Zorbtek:
    If you can, try the demo. I had a similar dilema. The demo will help you answer a lot of questions. If you're familiar with JavaScript, you'll get even more answers during the demo period. You could ask questions all day about the engine. Until you try it for yourself and make what you want with it, I don't think you'll be able to see its potential.

-Gary

4. Antonios

Antonios

I am also talking about sliders, list boxes etc. I will have to create them right? In other words there isnt a GUI toolkit integrated.

5. gsnyder

gsnyder

Ah, sorry. Didn't know to what extent you were asking. If you're looking for something like the XCode Interface Builder, no.