Search Unity

Feedback UIElements Tutorials?

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by EricLampi, May 10, 2019.

?

I'd like some "UIElements" tutorials, how about you?

1. YES - I need a little help getting started

34 vote(s)
    36.2%
  2. YES - I need a LOT of help getting started

60 vote(s)
    63.8%
  3. NO - I'll figure it out

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. NO - go away nOOb, suffering builds character

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Meh... No opinion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. EricLampi

EricLampi

Any plans to make a tutorial(s) for beginners?

I'm not a developer, I'm a UX Designer and I design and plan features and tools for the users of our product. I'd like to be able to take on more of the design and styling of the tools going forward and leave our developers to do what they do best instead of noodling with the UI. So a basic primer on how to get started, possibly a small sample project that could be used to show how to modify existing Unity editor UI elements. Something like that.

I haven't been able to find any so far, so if there are some available, please post them here.

Speaking of "UIElements", there's one small problem with the name chosen for this feature:

"UI Elements" is such a generic term that any time you search you're also presented with lots of things that have nothing to do with it, even in Unity's Documentation, that you have to sift through.

mikevargas likes this.
  2. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

We actually just launched an intro tutorial for UIElements here:
    https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/uielements-first-steps

However, there is no visual authoring (yet) for UIElements so you'll still have to code a bit.

If you just want a quick overview of the basics, here's a somewhat dated but still good intro video:

As for the name...yes. Thanks for the feedback. :)

3. EricLampi

EricLampi

I've done a little coding here and there, but I'm a complete novice, I figured there would be some involved and I'm OK with adding more of it to help push this part of my skill set.

Just from scanning that First Steps guide, it looks like exactly what I need! Thanks!