Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UIElements simple drag example

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by cecarlsen, Apr 29, 2019.

1. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

I am looking for a simple example of selecting and dragging a VisualElement. Does it exist? I have looked at the source code for ShaderGraph, but it's complex to dive into.

2. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

RKar, mck94 and cecarlsen like this.
  3. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

Awesome, thank you for the response.

4. MFKJ

MFKJ

If anyone is looking that how to make your UI elements draggable then here is 4 minutes guide:

5. MaZy

MaZy

When you would look origin post you would notice UIElement is not "ui element" and the Visual Element is also the part of the UI Element not unity ui.

That is little bit annoying. Unity searches simple names. Many people (including me) naming his new made scripts or little system ui element. Google searches makes really difficult to search and find things if you search for "how to drag ui elements" or "how to drag in uielements". Almost both will give same result.

yatyricky, EZaca and RKar like this.
  6. awesomedata

awesomedata

Is this still the correct method to make a VisualElement in UI Toolkit draggable? -- Or is there a different way these days?

I am looking to rearrange elements of my list, for example.
    Or drag containers arranged in a grid to rearrange their order.

7. Chris-Trueman

Chris-Trueman

That method is still valid, there are other ways though. I used it to get started on drag and drop with UITK. My code has changed substantially from that example and is working with a drag and drop inventory system and a card game.

8. awesomedata

awesomedata

Mind elaborating a bit? -- There's not a whole lot of information about this kind of thing out there that I could find. D:

9. Chris-Trueman

Chris-Trueman

Yeah took me awhile and a few question here on the forums to get it right.

The example in this thread is using local mouse position to move the texture around, I needed it to be for the whole screen so I can drag from inventory to equipment or a container so I changed it to work in "world" mouse coordinates. The example also uses a Manipulator to implement the dragging. I use a Manipulator for my card game, the Inventory system does not. The card game drags the element placing it into an overlay element, the inventory drags a separate element that is on top of everything else.