Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

UIElements roadmap update

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by benoitd_unity, Nov 27, 2019.

1. PassivePicasso

PassivePicasso

Thank you for your response, and just to be sure, so we need to have a C# Property and not a Field with the matching name?

2. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

Correct, it has to be a C# property.

3. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

Is runtime support still planned for 2020.1, and can we expect to see it in the alpha/beta?

4. Baste

Baste

Check the first post in the thread, the roadmap there has been updated. It says that 2020.1 will have "Preview of Visual Authoring and Runtime Support" and "release of Runtiem and UI Builder", while 2020 LTS will have "parity with UGUI" and "production-ready release of UI Elements".

5. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

I understand, i'd like to know if the preview of runtime support will be included in the alpha or beta.

nilsdr likes this.
  6. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

I can't say when runtime (along with UIElements package) will be available within the 2020.1 cycle but it should come by the 2020.1 release.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/ui-roadmap.735338/page-2#post-5489625

Karlbovsky and TJHeuvel-net like this.
  7. retypeNickEA

retypeNickEA

So, does this mean it wont be supported in 2019 latest LTS version?

8. Graph

Graph

yes, it won't be supported in 2019

9. Magik5

Magik5

Hey, is there any information regarding UIElements and accessibility knocking around anywhere? I can't seem to find anything relevant besides a brief mention of it here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/uielements-step-towards-screen-readers.563017/#post-3751099 back in 2018.

Specifically information regarding whether UIElements will provide (out of the box) support for:
    • Respecting a users mobile device OS font scale settings (Android for example can modify the default font size under Settings -> System -> Accessibility -> Font Size)
    • Screen readers (VoiceOver/TalkBack) whether it's through a system like ARIA tags or a similar way to label elements
    Any info or clarification on the above would be great!

10. Ryuuguu

Ryuuguu

Does this mean UIElements Package and Addressable Asset Bundles package can not be used in the same project or just that UIElements XML and other assets can be Addressable Assets?

11. JoNax97

JoNax97

It means that they cannot use Addressables internally (for example to build a more convenient management system for your uxml and uss), because the core engine cannot have dependencies on an external package. In your project you can use both together without issue, they just aren't specially integrated with one another.

vestigial, Ryuuguu and uDamian like this.
  12. Benjamin-M

Benjamin-M

Thank you very much for this update of roadmap.
    I think at the end of the year we could do some very interesting UI and maybe explore some new way in Ux with all this upcoming features and this is very exciting...

I have a question concerning third party integration :
    Today most people use UI/UX design tool like Sketch, Figma or Adobe XD.
    Personally I use Adobe XD, and I'm really impressed by the work made by Adobe, it’s very well thinking, thanks competition, mother of innovation...

So if you consider the fact that :
    Unity already made some integration with Autodesk ( and their non innovative software since 10 years )
    Figma and Adobe XD have a free version like Unity
    The choice to create a CSS like with USS and new incoming UI Toolkit

I have made a dream : import all my responsive animated UI made in Adobe XD in Unity ....

But maybe it’s just a dream :)

GuillaumeLeplang likes this.
  13. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

We share that dream! But first, we need all the relevant bits of a "UI" to be there and release so we have something to import to. Import workflows have always been on the table and will follow after the release.

14. Benjamin-M

Benjamin-M

Thank you very much for your quick answer.
    I am really happy to learn that this dream is shared.
    I am aware that there is still a lot of work to be done and I will follow the updates.

15. PassivePicasso

PassivePicasso

Will there be any binding support for actions?
    For example, a binding for Button that assigns a Clickable which executes a bound method?
    Or perhaps just a binding for Button that allows you to bind to a Clickable?

one_one likes this.
  16. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

First thing's first, we need bindings support at runtime. This might expand to being able to bind inline style properties and any UXML attribute (not just value), but actions might be too much for the first release.

17. floky

floky

18. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Indeed, it won't support 2019, only 2020.1 and onward.

floky and tobiasparrow like this.
  19. alexboost222

alexboost222

Hello, i'm currently working on VR game using Unity. One of my tasks is to make worldspace UI 'panel' which have to be interactable for a player. Therefore my question: will panel renderer support world space mode? Or this feature works only in screenspace mode?

20. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

It will but not in the initial release. If you need something sooner you should still use uGUI.

21. awesomedata

awesomedata

What version of Unity (roundabout) are we looking at having that option?

22. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

We might have preview of it end of 2020, but most likely sometime in 2021. Getting a complete screen space solution is our current priority.

GliderGuy and awesomedata like this.
  23. jGate99

jGate99

@uDamian,
    One question, what coordinate system it'll use
    For example in imgui (if im not mistakane) we have top left 0,0 cooridnate system like flash,

24. JoNax97

JoNax97

0,0 is top left here too

jGate99 likes this.
  25. alexboost222

alexboost222

Thanks, got it!

26. TheGabelle

TheGabelle

When runtime is available will there be ECS examples?

Kender and Roycon like this.
  27. PassivePicasso

PassivePicasso

Is there any progress on a generic binding system that supports both runtime and edit time binding?

StephanieRowlinson likes this.
  28. airvrstudio

airvrstudio

We are looking forward to UI Toolkit being fully supported for Worldspace interfaces asap. The built-in system is extremely cumbersome for managing large 3D app UI's. Based on the UI Elements roadmap from last fall, we were really hoping for this to become available in 2020.1.

29. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

Looking forward UI toolkit full implementation
    Please dont forget about realtime lit UI shaders compatible with shader graph.
    We want to keep using lit shaders with 3D modelled or plane normal mapped UI (or attach lit assets to the UI)
    The combination of 2D UI with 3D engine capabilities is what really allows making the coolest possible things
    and would be a major advantage of a engine like Unity

30. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

Please be aware that it will take more time for it to be really production ready, the first version that will be released probably wont really be good enough for serious projects.

31. distastee

distastee

Dropping in to say:
    I tuned out of Unity for roughly a year and dove deep into React Native during that time. I was blown away by what they had built and felt like I had been seriously let down by the game engine community.

To come back to this is....honestly earth-shattering. I'm SUPER excited for what y'all are building and what it means for the future of mobile/headset AR

airvrstudio likes this.
unityunity