Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

UIElements for Runtime and the UI Builder Unite Copenhagen 2019 Talk

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by uDamian, Oct 10, 2019.

1. SkyTech6

SkyTech6

What's the current performance overhead in runtime compared to uGUI? Does this system show promise of fixing the problem of uGUI dirtying entire canvases every time an element changes?

I know it's still early to be asking, but I'm curious the actual overhead worth of eventually adopting this system based on current tests.

2. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

I don't have any official tests to share but I can say that model has completely changed. There is no more "canvas" to dirty. UI Toolkit has a per-element dirty system that is entirely internally tracked and used to only update the elements that need to be updated. This works for layout, styling, bindings, and other subsystems that need to know what to update and when. Main point is that you shouldn't have to worry anymore about how to structure your UI to avoid too many redraws. We also do our best automate texture atlasing for the UI so that's one less worry, but we will provide the option to manually configure atlasing for added optimization opportunities.

Note, we have a new runtime support in the official UI Toolkit package that further improves usability and performance at runtime. See:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/ui-toolkit-1-0-preview-available.927822/

unityunity