Search Unity

ui_scaling big problem in ubuntu and other distro

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mohammadgarous, Jul 22, 2021.

1. mohammadgarous

mohammadgarous

Hi, I just installed Ubuntu Linux 20.04 for Unity programming, but the Linux Unity version has a very big problem, and that is the ui size of the program. The size of the unit on Ubuntu is very small and the eyes are really damaged and unfortunately there is no ui_scaling feature in the program. Is there a solution to change the size of the unit in Ubuntu version 20.04 or not ??? I do not want to go back to Windows

I also tried GTK_SCALE = 2, but it gets so big that it can't be used
    Screenshot from 2021-07-22 12-23-20.png

azazdeaz likes this.
  2. MadWatch

MadWatch

Not sure what you're talking about here. The UI of Unity seems fine on your screenshot.

Are you talking about the in game UI? The one that's in the scene? If so then it has nothing to do with Linux. It entirely depends on how you're configuring your canvas.

mohammadgarous likes this.
  3. mohammadgarous

mohammadgarous

No, I do not have a problem with the size of the game I am developing. The problem is the size of the components of the Unity engine. It does not support and well I did not find a way to enlarge my Unity engine environment and this is very important to me if you know a way, thank you for guiding me ، Unity does not support ui_scaling in its Linux version and my laptop screen is 15 inches

4. Mogitu

Mogitu

I have the same issues with Ubuntu, Fedora, Linux Mint, you name it. on a 1440p monitor the gui becomes so small its almost unusable. The UI scaling feature, that was available in earlier versions and in Windows, is completely missing.

Insult to injury; resizing any editor element is also rather seizure inducing from the constant shifting.

RaveBox likes this.
  5. MadWatch

MadWatch

I have a 1440p monitor and I don't have any issue witht the Unity UI. I tried on both Gnome 3 and KDE Plasma and it always worked out of the box. I never had to tweak anything.

Everything looks fine on the screen that mohammadgarous posted. All the UI elements appear to be well proportioned and readable. Only the in game UI appear ridiculously small, but if it's a problem with the in game UI then it has nothing to do with Linux. That's why I don't understand your problem.

Could you please post a screenshot and circle the parts that looks wrong to you?

6. Mogitu

Mogitu

How big is your monitor actually? and how far do you sit away from it? I mean, sure Unity installs and works just "fine" without tweaking anything. But any option for ui scaling, that is present in Windows, is completely missing in Linux. And it makes a huge difference.

Now I could enable fractional scaling in GNOME, but that would blow up a lot of other DE elements I do not want to.
    Mohammadgarous screen also does not look fine since its obvious he already enabled a scaler. Making only Unity look "sorta fine".

7. MadWatch

MadWatch

It seems that Unity ignores the global scaling setting. I just tried it to make sure.
    1.png

With global scaling set to 150%, Unity's menu bar (which is rendered by GTK) is scaled, but everything else inside Unity (which is not rendered by GTK) is not. All other applications scale properly, so I assume the problem is that Unity ignores the setting for some reason.

I also tried text scaling (forcing the font to a ridiculously high DPI) with no global scaling.
    2.png

Again, the menu bar is scaled but the rest isn't. Same conclusion I guess.

Is this the problem you're describing? Is there a bug report for that already?

8. Mogitu

Mogitu

Yeah, this pretty much describes the issue. If there is a bug report? Well, this bug has been reported numerous times over the years. At some point, I believe 2019.x.x, the UI scaling option was actually present and working.

9. owbosh

owbosh

I'm putting my voice out there for this feature too, I have a 2k monitor and the text in the editor is straining to read. Fractional scaling in the linux display settings is very buggy, and 200% scaling is way too big.

10. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

We hear you. This is certainly something I deal with internally has well since I use 4k displays. I use fractional scaling on Ubuntu 20.04 just fine with my Radeon GPU using mesa drivers. But a similar solution to the Windows feature is something we'd like to address in the future.

11. MadWatch

MadWatch

I also have Ubuntu 20.04 and I also have a Radeon with mesa drivers. I tested fractional scaling (although I don't need it) and it works fine, but Unity itself doesn't scale. Does that mean I have some bug or config issue? Or does that mean Unity isn't capable or scaling yet?

12. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

It scales on my machine with 125% scaling set on each display. Unity scales appropriately. If I run at 100%, everything is very tiny.

13. mohammadgarous

mohammadgarous

Thanks for the reply, so I have to Swich to Windows right now :( so that we may be able to resize Unity components in Linux distributions in future versions. If you have a temporary solution in this regard, thank you for guiding me.