Search Unity

Official UI wireframing

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by cirocontinisio, Oct 13, 2020.

1. kirbygc00

kirbygc00

yeah, @cirocontinisio, that seems like a very reasonable first step. One which does not depend on the specific implementation of the design. I'd be happy to start working on that after work tomorrow.

Just gonna repeat back the requirements to make sure I am understanding correctly:

what i'm hearing for requirements is destiny 2 style menu controls

e.g. once a menu pops up:
    - both the mouse/keyboard and gamepad control schemes manipulate a "pointer"
    - pointer position defines which UI element is 'selected'
    - each control scheme has an "interact" mapping which activates whatever UI element is 'selected' (the pointer is hovering over)
    - if the pointer is not hovering over a 'selectable' ui element, nothing is selected (e.g. pressing the 'interact' key does nothing) :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    daneobyrd likes this.
  2. piraente

piraente

My latest Miro-Mockups didn't include free movement with controller. Would be nice to have some feedback about it.

3. shuttle127

shuttle127

Those mockups are starting to get as complex as my original BotW-inspired wireframe, with the differences being additional popups instead of finding space on the main screen for cooking and using PS button controls instead of gamepad controls, which arguably are mostly interchangeable as far as position on the controller goes (i.e. both have 4 arrows on left, 4 buttons on right, and triggers up top).

I like how they flow, though, and think incorporating free movement with mouse or controller would simply mean adding an extra step to figure out where the "pointer" is before the LMB or action button could actually do anything.

One thing I'm not sure about is the quantity of recipe/dish to cook, do we need more than 1 at any given time?

daneobyrd likes this.
  4. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Hmm, no, this UI from Destiny 2 is basically a mouse-first UI, where the controller just handles the pointer when the mouse is not present (= on console).

This is a pretty strange choice if you ask me. Looks like they wanted to deal with the big amount of buttons, grids, panels, options on screen (Destiny is an MMO after all); something which we won't have. So they went with a pointer, to allow the player to quickly traverse the screen and reach the desired option. Also it feels like they were getting ready for the PC version. Destiny being a shooter, it's understandable that they thought a big chunk of players would play it on PC.

What I'm thinking about for our game is a UI that's joypad/keyboard first, where the mouse can "intervene". At that point it'd work like just a normal pointer-based UI.

5. kirbygc00

kirbygc00

I see, yeah I misunderstood! So the business requirements are something like the following...

the keyboard + mouse schema acts just like the gamepad:
    - some keys move the 'selection' from one ui element to another
    - there is some 'confirm' or 'interact' button, which activates the currently selected UI element

However, the keyboard + mouse schema has the added caveat:
    - if the mouse is moved it "overrides" the basic behaviour and a cursor appears
    - mouse movements will update the cursor position
    - whatever ui element the cursor is over is considered 'selected'
    - left click will now act as an additional 'confirm' or 'interact' button

Finally:
    - if the cursor is active, and the player uses the keyboard or gamepad, the cursor will dissapear
    - - the 'cursor mode' interrupting keyboard / gamepad input will be applied, if possible, to the currently highlighted selection, otherwise to the previously selected ui element(?)

is this closer to what you had in mind?

And re destiny: i think you hit the nail on the head. I saw some talk on the UI of that system and they mentioned one of the main drivers behind their control schema was that standardized cross-platform / cross-control scheme interface. just like you were saying, they were launching both on PC & console, and had a pretty complex UI. so that solution worked very well for them.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  6. auxterlibre

auxterlibre

Following last @piraente 's wireframes, I would just break down the types of Cooking items into tabs (or filters) instead of separating them by headers.

Cooking_01.png Character_01.png

7. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Yes, 100%.

The only thing I didn't get is this:
    Do you mean that the currently highlighted selection is where the cursor appears, or what?

kirbygc00 likes this.
  8. kirbygc00

kirbygc00

So the scenario is:
    1. user is in 'cursor mode', user is highlighting the 'craft button'
    2. user moves the cursor to some screen space with no ui elements, previously selected UI element ('craft button') is no long selected
    3. user inputs right arrow key on keyboard or left stick to the right on gamepad
    What happens?

I am assuming the desired behaviour is:
    • store the last UI selection (in this case 'craft button')
    • apply the command from that stored position- e.g. move to the UI element to the right of the 'craft button'
    Is that correct? Alternatively we could do something like:
    1. same steps 1-3 as above....
    2. highlight the last UI element selection but eat the input... eg - user hits right arrow key, we just re-select the 'craft button' instead of moving to the next element.

Does that make sense?

9. shuttle127

shuttle127

If it’s possible, would be neat to have the cooking animation start by dragging each ingredient one at a time to the middle into a pot, have some steam coming out, then once all the ingredients have been dragged in, shake/stir the pot and have a sizzle/pop/ding sound when it’s done, with the image then changing to the finished dish with 2-3 action buttons below (eat), (save/store), and maybe (give) if the dish is for an NPC. Too much?

10. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Ah, yes, so you're saying: what happens if the player starts using the keyboard again after using the mouse. Yes, makes sense that the selection is the last UI element that was touched when the keyboard was used.

I think for now we'll make it simpler, also never forget that we don't have "dragging" in the menus, since we want to support both gamepad and mouse, as discussed above and in the Controls thread.

11. shuttle127

shuttle127

I just meant the animation does it after the player clicks the action button to cook, kind of like the center of the circle sucks it in, not that the player is doing the dragging.

12. kirbygc00

kirbygc00

sounds fun =)

13. DSivtsov

DSivtsov

@ChemaDmk Can't find the current version of UI wireframing in Miro, which was shown on last stream

14. shuttle127

shuttle127

Is this what you’re looking for?

EDIT: Never mind, that’s not the UI wire framing. @cirocontinisio promised a cleanup and post of the private diagram to someone in chat on the last livestream, so hopefully he’ll have some time to do that before Tuesday. If not, we can just ask again then. :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  15. DSivtsov

DSivtsov

No, version of UI wireframing in Miro was shown on stream 2 by @ChemaDmk (partial here)

16. ChemaDmk

ChemaDmk

Unity Technologies

Hey @DSivtsov here's the link to the Miro board for UI Wireframing. It's being redrawn currently for tonight's live stream

DSivtsov likes this.
  17. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Hello, @ChemaDmk you did a lot of work to design the wireframes at miro. But there's a spelling error I have spotted. 20201209_095222.jpg

ChemaDmk likes this.
  18. ChemaDmk

ChemaDmk

Unity Technologies

Thank you @Harsh-099 ! I forgot to change it ! Now it's done :)

19. daneobyrd

daneobyrd

These are really interesting observations, especially since they used this UI schema for Destiny 1 which was console only. Now that I think on that.. it makes sense that they went with a pointer for a controller only game solely because there were so many buttons, options, and panels. Very interesting. I can imagine getting annoyed if I had to move my selection across a lot of options.

Additionally, this circular cooking wireframe reminds me of a quick-access wheel. Has there been any discussion on HUD UI? Everything here looks so polished.

20. ChemaDmk

ChemaDmk

Unity Technologies

Hey everyone !
    After the last live (The journey - episode 5) , we now have a clearer vision about the inventory.

This post is an update on how the Inventory screen will look like.

Please note that there’s been some changes from what’s been said earlier about the recipes.
    We used to think it should be separate in a “Recipe book”. But after numerous discussions with the team, we found that the best solution is to consider the Recipes as part of the inventory, and to add a tab called “Recipe”.

An item is characterized by:
    • A name
    • A preview image/3D asset
    • The number of items currently in the inventory
    • The background color (each type would have a background color)
    A Recipe Item contain more information than a simple item :
    • A list of ingredients + utensils
    • A resulting dish
    An item in the inventory can be:
    • A customization item for the character
    • An ingredient
    • A utensil
    • A dish
    • A recipe

The action button’s text changes depending on the inspected item's type :
    • Equip (customization item)
    • Use (Ingredients)
    • Eat (Dish)
    • Cook (recipe)
    • Utensils do nothing
    The inventory screen has 3 tabs :
    • Customization Items
    • Cooking Items
    • Recipes
    Selecting an item will displays its information in the inspector section.

The customization items tab will display all the items collected that the main character can use to customize its looks.

The cooking items tab gathers all items needed for the cooking phase except the recipes (tab name is to discuss) :

A cooking item can be
    • An ingredient
    • A Utensil
    • A Dish
    Ingredients and Dishes are consumables. (Eaten to improve health)
    Utensils are never consumed. They can be traded with NPCs.

The recipes tab is the cooking tab.

This tab displays the list of all the recipes the player has collected.
    The Recipes tab will be opened by default when the player interacts with a cooking pot.

When a recipe is selected, the Inspector section changes to a more detailed one, containing the list of ingredients needed.
    This list shows which Ingredient is available and which isn’t.
    There could only be 5 ingredients + utensils per recipe.
    The action button of the inspector is a "Cook" button.

The cook button is only clickable if all ingredients are available, and the chef is near a pot.

We're very interested in having your feedbacks about this !
    Please note that these are only placeholders, and that the UI will be decided later :)

Harsh-NJ and itsLevi0sa like this.