Search Unity

UI.VerticalLayoutGroup changes broke my game UI?

Discussion in '5.5 Beta' started by tessellation, Nov 15, 2016.

1. tessellation

tessellation

My layout worked fine in 5.3.6. I followed the instructions here when I first build it. In 5.5.0b11, now my text objects inside a VerticalLayoutGroup are getting heights auto-set to values like 4593 and run all sibling text objects off the screen. The text objects have a ContentSizeFitter with Vertical Fit set to Preferred Size. Then the parent VerticalLayoutGroup also has a ContentSizeFitter to make sure it resizes with the stacked children. I tried disabling the ContentSizeFitter components in the child text objects but then the height then gets set manually, which isn't what I want.

This doesn't seem to be documented anywhere, what does the new "Child Control Size" do? I tried turning that on and off for Height with various combinations of child ContentSizeFitter being on and off and it didn't seem to have the effect I wanted. I feel like I'm groping in the dark here for a solution, so I could use some help.

Seems like there's just a bug with ContentSizeFitter where it's not setting height correctly from the Text Preferred Size like it used to? I posted this as Case 851570

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    Dillinger likes this.
  2. Simie

Simie

I've also had vertical layout groups behaving differently when upgrading from b10 -> b11. Seems a bit late in the beta cycle to introduce a drastic layout change!

EDIT: In my case it seems to be caused by a Text element having a massive preferred height layout property (80pt text with a custom font). I set "horizontal overflow" to "overflow" instead of "wrap" and it is now a more sensible value, but it's still a bug I think.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  3. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    A fix for this is currently going through QA.

tessellation likes this.
  4. shadiradio

shadiradio

Did this not make it into 5.5.0f1? It seems that layout groups are still broken in today's build.

5. topaz7

topaz7

It just broke my UI too. Had to go back to 5.4.

6. Player7

Player7

*cancels 5.5.0f1 download*

MrEsquire likes this.
  7. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Fix should be in f3.

8. saviemedia

saviemedia

Hi Alex-Lian, do you have any ETA for f3 version? Thank you

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  9. Jmangles

Jmangles

I'm experiencing an issue with Text in general right now where it won't resize the text box based on its contents. Before a RectTransform would vertically size itself to fit in horizontally wrapped text but right now it's only responding to newlines for expanding the text area.

10. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Could we get a bug report + reproduction case for this please?