Search Unity

Official UI Update - Q3 2021

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by benoitd_unity, Jul 9, 2021.

1. EliseoPixowl

EliseoPixowl

Is TextCore (Text Mesh Pro for UIElements) going to be backported to 2020 LTS?

2. martinpa_unity

martinpa_unity

Unity Technologies

We will try to port as many editor controls as possible to runtime, whenever it makes sense. For some of them, like the ColorField, it will take more time, since they rely on IMGUI implementations at the moment.

DrViJ and Neiyra like this.
  3. martinpa_unity

martinpa_unity

Unity Technologies

No plans. For the 2020 stream, it will stay as a package.

4. bindon

bindon

As I understand it, with Unity in VR such as Oculus Quest 2, UI has to be in Worldspace.
    In VR all UI has to be in World Space or it simply doesn't display at all.
    That certainly seemed to be the case when I was experimenting with it.
    So for anyone making a cross-platform product which includes VR platforms, a UI system that doesn't support WorldSpace is basically not at all helpful.

ioFlow likes this.
  5. optimise

optimise

Hi @benoitd_unity. 2021.2 now is out of beta. Will dots UI runtime continue the development?

6. k4sr4

k4sr4

In the 2021.2 version which has UI Toolkit by default, I don't see an Event System (UI Toolkit) component when trying to add new components. What am I missing here?

7. Ashfid

Ashfid

Just normal Event System is enough now. It’s simplified.

8. Looping_co

Looping_co

Any plan to improve the UI of the UI Builder? I know it's just a tool. But great UI can really help understand functionality. That's a good exemple : https://webflow.com/

9. gatalskii

gatalskii

Hi!
    Could you tell about potential support of some kind of the anchoring(like in Better UI and NGUI libraries)?
    Also looking forward about adding grid support.
    Thanks!

10. k4sr4

k4sr4

It is not working with the normal Event System. What do I even choose for the `First Selected` GameObject in the UI Toolkit model?

Leslie-Young likes this.
  11. GoshawkMachinist

GoshawkMachinist

I like similarity to HTML and CSS. That is great idea. There is crucial thing missing.

I've searched on forum and internet how to create tables with UI Toolkit. It seems, there is no easy way (as easy as in HTML and CSS).

Do you plan to support tables? It is imported for strategy game with emphasis on economy and city building elements I'm working on. Option to resize, filter, hide, order (more then one column comparsion) column would be nice.

Also this UI should be for application UI too. How many applications are there, that don't have any tables? This seems like importent point for aplication engine selection.

12. AGeorgy

AGeorgy

I've installed Ui Toolkit and the new input system from scratch, show UI, and got the error. Doesn't it smell production-ready ha?

Code (CSharp):
    1. InvalidOperationException: You are trying to read Input using the UnityEngine.Input class, but you have switched active Input handling to Input System package in Player Settings.
    2. UnityEngine.UIElements.DefaultEventSystem+Input.GetAxisRaw (System.String axis) (at <66054a7773f64b399021c1a3f19995a3>:0)
    3. UnityEngine.UIElements.DefaultEventSystem.GetRawMoveVector () (at <66054a7773f64b399021c1a3f19995a3>:0)
    4. UnityEngine.UIElements.DefaultEventSystem.ShouldSendMoveFromInput () (at <66054a7773f64b399021c1a3f19995a3>:0)
    5. UnityEngine.UIElements.DefaultEventSystem.SendInputEvents () (at <66054a7773f64b399021c1a3f19995a3>:0)
    6. UnityEngine.UIElements.DefaultEventSystem.Update (UnityEngine.UIElements.DefaultEventSystem+UpdateMode updateMode) (at <66054a7773f64b399021c1a3f19995a3>:0)
    7. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsRuntimeUtility.UpdateRuntimePanels () (at <66054a7773f64b399021c1a3f19995a3>:0)
    8. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsRuntimeUtilityNative.UpdateRuntimePanels () (at <7704c4432ba4461c83d3520cc4d20ead>:0)

13. antoine-unity

antoine-unity

Unity Technologies

Starting in Unity 2022 we support a Multi Column Tree View that should allow the visualization and editing of complex data.

There is no documentation for it yet, see this post for some early info:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/multicolumnlistview-unity-2022-1-0-beta-1.1210134/

DrViJ likes this.
  14. antoine-unity

antoine-unity

Unity Technologies

Which version of UI Toolkit are you using? If using the built-in version, you'll need Input system 1.1.0 at the minimum and you need to create an Event System with an Input Module from the Input package.

If using the package version of UI Toolkit (2020 LTS), you can refer to the instructions in this post:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/feedback-wanted-new-input-system-support.963111/

15. AGeorgy

AGeorgy

UI Toolkit version is the default: 1.0.0
    Input system: 1.3.0
    This one?

Oh, thanks! It seems it helps.
    It was a bit confusing. Especially in case, I don't need any input on this UI screen in this particular Scene. But, hay, thank anyway.

16. bloodthirst69

bloodthirst69

Hey , is there any ETA for implementing z-index ? i really think a lot of people can benefit from this
    (ps : just in case this gets brought up , moving the element to front/back is not always a viable solution for this kinda stuff)

StripeGuy and DrViJ like this.
  17. DrViJ

DrViJ

truly, z-index is very much needed feature :) hope it will be added to UI Toolkit. I am waiting for it too.

I recommend to vote for this feature here:
    https://unity.com/ru/roadmap/unity-platform/gameplay-ui-design
    it's under their consideration right now.

Depth ordering card:
    "For a given UI element, specify a different stack order from its position in the hierarchy, similarly to the z-index CSS property."

StripeGuy likes this.
  18. R1PFake

R1PFake

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but I want to ask about world canvas support, since VR project require world canvas (unless the new UI system has a different way to show up in VR?).

I saw that world canvas support is on the roadmap but I don't understand when it will be added. Can it still be added to Unity 2021 LTS in a later update or will it only be available for Unity 2022 LTS (or even later)?

awesomedata likes this.
  19. edwinbradford

edwinbradford

You can upvote that feature as "Critical" . We're also working on virtual reality projects and support for in world UI is the single feature preventing us from using UI Toolkit. I have a lot of experience with a similar third party tool and UI Toolkit would be much better for us than Unity UI if we could use it.

R1PFake likes this.
  20. Onigiri

Onigiri

Any update for 2022?

21. VP_no1

VP_no1

1. anyone has a detailed link of a workflow (blog or yt) of how to make a runtime menu with navigation ?

2. or will unity make a detailed presentation of the demo runtime royale so we can understand it better ?

3. and why the demo has the materials purple ? I have 0 settings in the 2021 regarding render so it might be becasue of Android build setup ?
    (on the material it says: hidden/ internalerrorshader)

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  22. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Can Timeline be ported to work in runtime?

23. rootCBR

rootCBR

Navigation inputs (via input system) don't work in 2022.1 while they did work previously. This means I can't navigate at all using either Keyboard or Gamepad.

24. MousePods

MousePods

rootCBR likes this.
  25. katemj

katemj

Are there any further updates on UI Toolkit development? My project would like to use UI Toolkit, but we need to render in world space. World space is currently a "Planned" feature - is there any additional information on when that capability might be available?

KamilCSPS, mariandev and merpheus like this.
  26. JoNax97

JoNax97

This thread is about to get 1 year old. Perhaps we could get another update?
    My company is currently evaluating UI Toolkit, and an update to what we can expect for the following months would be very useful (I'm aware of the roadmap page, but a direct update would be more reassuring still).

DrSeltsam and katemj like this.
  27. MousePods

MousePods

JoNax97 likes this.
  28. JoNax97

JoNax97

Thanks for the heads-up!

MousePods likes this.
  29. hyouuu

hyouuu

I'm thinking about using UI Toolkit and have 2 questions if someone could help answer:
    1. Could we dynamically add UI elements to the tree? e.g. for every new player or enemy add a HP bar
    2. We're currently using Unity 2021.3.x LTS - should I use Unity 2022? Are there any changes of UI Toolkit there? The changelog hasn't changed for a while at https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.ui@1.0/changelog/CHANGELOG.html

Thanks!

30. Midiphony-panda

Midiphony-panda

1. Yes you can. You can create UI elements at runtime from scratch with pure C#, or instantiate VisualTreeAssets (UXMLs) in your UI hierarchy.
    2. The package doesn't "exist" anymore, as UI Toolkit is now embedded to the core engine since Unity 2021.2. Using Unity 2022 will allow you to use the Vector API and some optimization fixes. Overall, that depends on the features you'd need, and the moment you'll need to ship something !

hyouuu and JuliaP_Unity like this.
  31. hyouuu

hyouuu

Thanks for the answer! Found this roadmap page of UI Toolkit that mentions which features are included in which version, which is quite helpful https://portal.productboard.com/xvo8kmgtx7tkv7desh8cyaj7/tabs/49-ui-design

32. merpheus

merpheus

First they showed UI Toolkit in 2019. Its been several years over it and there is still no world space UI support. This is literally one of the most important things for a game to have. Plus no update for over a year. Does anyone bother to give an update or what?

33. MousePods

MousePods

34. hyouuu

hyouuu

I'm pretty new and wonder how hard it is to calculate the world to UI position manually and place UI components in the corresponding positions - any thoughts?

35. hyouuu

hyouuu

Another question - I'm trying to layout some buttons on screen's top left & some on top right, and I use 2 visual elements that line up the top left half & top right half and put buttons in. However, the visual elements themselves block touching events - is there a way to disable the visual elements from blocking events, but allow its children buttons to still receive touches?

36. Midiphony-panda

Midiphony-panda

hyouuu likes this.
  37. hyouuu

hyouuu

Midiphony-panda likes this.
  38. VikiSystems

VikiSystems

How to fix this ?

39. Karsten

Karsten

Sorry to say this , I appreciate your work Unity team but with UI Toolkit I need 5x+ ( for runtime UI's) the time to build for example an input form with textfield and ok/cancel button and all its code and events than I need with Ugui, do I do something wrong?
    As far as I see it, the system lacks much of the automatism Ugui has, for me UI Toolkit feels "away" from the Unity Editor and its eco system, please dont do this with other parts of Unity , not that we have to code our games in XML in the future :D