Search Unity

Official UI Toolkit 1.0-preview available

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by benoitd_unity, Jul 8, 2020.

1. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,

We're excited to share the first version of the new UI Toolkit package, expanding on the existing VisualElement tech stack (formerly UIElements) to include visual authoring workflows and runtime support.

If you’re interested in trying it, read on!

What’s new?
    Let’s start with the name. UI Toolkit was formerly known as UIElements. This marks the beginning of the transition to the new name.

UI Toolkit can now be distributed as a package, which makes it more convenient to get access to the latest preview releases. More on that below.

It’s now possible to use UI Toolkit for creating game and application UI.

Finally, the UI Builder, which will remain a separate package, has received a lot of stability and user experience improvements.

What’s the plan?
    As of right now, we're developing UI Toolkit as a package. That means we can develop features faster, and easily give interested users early access.

The plan is for every Unity release to ship with a stable version of the package fully integrated as a core feature. We'll make a preview version available that you can install seamlessly to access experimental features.

In this first release, for the 2020 release cycle, the built-in UIToolkit includes the VisualElement tech stack, while the preview package includes new runtime UI features.

For more information about how UI Toolkit in core compares to the package, see this page.

This is the first of many versions of the preview package that we’ll be releasing throughout the year. In the upcoming months, we’ll be improving workflows, performance, and documentation, with the goal of shipping a pre-release version for 2020.2 by end of year.

In 2021.1, the UI Toolkit that ships with Unity will be considered production-ready. We'll continue to make the preview package available to give you early access to features in development.

What will be included?
    The version shipping in 2021.1 is aimed at programmers and UI artists collaborating on mobile and desktop games UI. Here’s a non-exhaustive list of the included features:
    • Scene Components required to display UI in the Unity player
    • Screen space UI
      • Menus, HUDs and screen space elements following game objects, such as health bars
    • Mobile friendly controls
    • Custom UI Themes
    • Improved text features and workflow coming from TextMesh Pro
      • Signed Distance Field (SDF) text rendering
      • Fully support Fonts fallback
    • UI texture atlas
      • New UI Toolkit dynamic atlas
      • Support for the existing Sprite Atlas
    • Dedicated tools for authoring and debugging UI
    • Compatibility with the Scriptable Render Pipeline (both URP and HDRP)
    • Compatibility with the new Input System

What’s coming in the next release?
    Here’s what we’re currently working on and should be available to try in the upcoming UI Toolkit 1.0 preview releases:
    • First version of text workflow, including some text effects
    • Dynamic atlasing parameters exposed
    • Live update of doing changes in the UI Builder while in Play mode
    • New Input System support and associated use cases

What will ship later?
    Here are the features that are still in development and which are planned to be in preview in a future UI Toolkit 1.1 release:
    • UI Animation
    • Data binding for runtime
    • Custom shaders
    • 3D lit UI and world space UI

How to get started?
    Follow these steps to get started using UI Toolkit:
    • Install the latest Unity 2020.1 or 2020.2 version
      • 2020.1.9f1 or 2020.2.0b9 respectively
    • Install the com.unity.ui package, this is required to use the UI Toolkit at runtime
      • Can be installed via the Package Manager by selecting Add package from git URL and entering
        com.unity.ui
        in the input field.
      • ⚠️ an ongoing issue may force you to re-import your project after adding or upgrading UI Toolkit.
    • Install the com.unity.ui.builder package, this is required to use the visual authoring tool
      • Can be installed via the Package Manager after enabling Preview packages via Project Settings.
    • Consult the documentation to learn how to add UI into your project
    Take a look at an example of UI Toolkit integration in a sample project.

How can you help?
    In the upcoming months, we’ll be improving UI Toolkit based on your experience using it. We’re counting on you to try it out and share your feedback with us. We’ll post dedicated forum threads to request feedback on specific features or areas but generally, we’re curious to learn more about workflows, performance and bugs you’re running into.

We're looking forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  2. Guedez

Guedez

So, instead of
    "com.unity.ui.runtime": "0.0.4-preview"
    hidden package, it's now
    “com.unity.ui”: “1.0.0-preview.3”
    ?
    Or those are not related? If they are, what changed besides "officializing" into a 'not-hidden' package?

3. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

The
    com.unity.ui.runtime
    package is the early experiment we released last year, before doing the work of moving into a package. The
    com.unity.ui
    package contains a few improvements over the old one, and is the version we will improve, maintain and support over time.

Tanner555 likes this.
  4. krazykhris875

krazykhris875

Is it possible to use (even an old version) of UI Toolkit in 2019.4.3f1 for rendering in game? I installed UI Builder tonight and am really enjoying it but can't figure out how to do this, probably I'm just being dumb. In the Unite 2019 demo I can see a Panel Renderer component was used, but I don't seem to have that.

5. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

The new "com.unity.ui" package will only work with 2020.1 and newer. Not with 2019.4. You can try to get something working for runtime using the aforementioned "com.unity.ui.runtime": "0.0.4-preview" (that adds the Panel Renderer component), but that approach will not be supported and you'll have to switch over to "com.unity.ui" once you move to 2020.1+.

suruz and krazykhris875 like this.
  6. Orimay

Orimay

On Unity 2020.2.0a12.1591 I am getting the following errors:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Library\PackageCache\com.unity.ui@1.0.0-preview.3\Core\UIElementsRuntimeUtility.cs(142,44): error CS0117: 'UIElementsRuntimeUtilityNative' does not contain a definition for 'UpdateRuntimePanelsCallback'
    3. Library\PackageCache\com.unity.ui@1.0.0-preview.3\Core\UIElementsRuntimeUtility.cs(150,44): error CS0117: 'UIElementsRuntimeUtilityNative' does not contain a definition for 'UpdateRuntimePanelsCallback'

7. krazykhris875

krazykhris875

Thank you! I can't seem to find it in package manager (including preview packages). I'll just jump up to 2020.1 beta, worth it! By the way, loving it so far! Really intuitive (for me at least, have a fair bit of web dev experience), and just generally awesome. I'm able to build UIs faster and better than stuff I spent much longer on in the current system. Super exciting!

By the way, is there a way to outline to text? Like, outlining the text itself, each character, not the rectangular text object.

8. krazykhris875

krazykhris875

I hate to say it but after upgrading to Unity 2020 beta, I still can't find the UI Toolkit package in package manager. I no longer see an option for including preview packages, is this option not available (and presumably default to on) in beta builds?

R0man likes this.
  9. JuliaP_Unity

JuliaP_Unity

Unity Technologies

You need to open the manifest.json file in your Unity project and add
    “com.unity.ui”: “1.0.0-preview.3”

10. krazykhris875

krazykhris875

Thank you, I've got it installed now. Very excited to dive in.

11. SlimeProphet

SlimeProphet

Hmm, could I ask for advice from experienced Unity people: I'm a couple months into seriously (but as a non-professional) learning C# and Unity. I've worked with the current UI on a practice game with my partner already.

Is this system ready enough that I should just focus on learning it instead? We're almost ready to start our next real game, a color puzzle game targeting touchscreen Windows as well as mobile devices (because we're masochists I guess).

12. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Text effects will be available in the next update.

13. JakHussain

JakHussain

For inexperienced devs making their first game, I personally always recommend going with the older systems first since your primary objective should be learning which boils down to gaining more general experience with the engine and widening your "vocabulary" of terms and ideas that you pick up as you use the existing unity systems. You'll progress much faster with UGUI thanks to the wealth of learning resources, existing open source code you can use and asset store assets made on the current UI system to help you out with animations, particle effects, performance and anything else you need to know for your game.

14. optimise

optimise

What's the ETA of adding DOTS support?

NotaNaN likes this.
  15. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Still work in progress, aiming to have a preview version we can share by end of year.

16. WAYNGames

WAYNGames

Will other types of elements be added to the runtime. It does not seem that the ProgressBar is available for runtime.
    This type of component could be usefull for scene loading screen of even healtbar.
    Also if I may ask, the tank demo first shown with the previous package showcased the tank healthbar as worldspace circular progress bar on each tanks if I'm not mistaken.

From the new demo I can already see that we could manage billboarded worldwpace ui.
    Are there plan to :
    1 ) include the progress bar as a runtime ui element ?
    2 ) allow for different shape of progress bar (linear and circular) ?
    3 ) "real" worldspace ui (like the tank demo health bar), were the UI can be rendered and masked by 3d object (wichi is not the case with the unity royale demo)

17. optimise

optimise

upload_2020-7-9_21-4-15.png

Does UI toolkit support rendering massive amount of health bar UIs following each unit use case with high performance?

ModLunar and laurentlavigne like this.
  18. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, and other ones as well. We will continue to expand the library of controls available at runtime.
    No plans yet but we're tracking the request
    We're aiming at releasing world space UI next year

DavidLe360 and WAYNGames like this.
  19. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

The UI renderer should be able to handle it if they are all sharing the same underlying UI panel. We'll add this case in our testing scenarios.

20. WAYNGames

WAYNGames

I did a quick dirty (and ugly) test by cloning the Gameobject that does the rendering of my ability cooldown.
    Diplicating it 100 times does seem to have an big impact on preformance as the Panel.Update function take 20+ms wehn it take 0.6 ms with only one of them.
    As you can see beloow when not updating ui data (phase of casting the ability that is not represented in UI) there is no spike.

Now to be fair i think the spike are because 1 ) I duplicate the UIDocument (so I probably have 100 panel) 2 ) All update happen at the exact same frame (same underlaying ability) so in case of health bar they probably won't be updated at the same time although updating their position in world space ma impact that asesment...

upload_2020-7-9_15-30-19.png

optimise likes this.
  21. WAYNGames

WAYNGames

Bug report submited under case number 1261951.
    In the Unity Royal demo, if you open the HealthUI.uxml in the UI Builder and proceed to add the .health-bar--hidden to the HealthBar element, then remove that class from the element's inspector, you'll have the class .health-bar--hidden duplicated in the USS file. This happens for every style class.

22. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

This is a bug in the UI Builder. Thanks for reporting it! I was looking for a better repro steps.

23. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

Worth clarifying that UIDocuments are not equivalent to PanelRenderers. UIDocuments are more or less equivalent to VisualElements in the scene. That's why they references a PanelSettings _Asset_ in your project. This PanelSettings is actually the "Panel". This was done exactly to limit the cost of having many UI Toolkit components in the scene. But that was just the main first step. We still have lots to optimize.

WAYNGames likes this.
  24. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

Have you tried a newer version of 2020.2? Like 2020.2.0a17?

25. Refeas

Refeas

Really excited that the preview package is finally out! As a webdev I really like the idea of UXML/USS.
    Another reason I was really waiting for this is to stop my scenes from being cluttered with a lot of UI related GameObjects which also creates unneccessary performance overhead. I checked the royale demo and it seems that you are using a lof ot UI Documents nested as GameObjects there. Is this the recommended workflow? Or is there any reason not to use a singular UI Document which will include the base UI template into which we could include sub-templates via scripting based on user interactions?

tacman1123 likes this.
  26. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

Just to clarify:

- UI Builder package (com.unity.ui.builder) remains a discoverable Preview package in the Package Manager. In 2020.1+, you need to enable Preview packages via the Project Settings > Package Manager section. It's no longer a setting in the Package Manager window itself.

- UI Toolkit package (com.unity.ui) is a preview package but not a discoverable Preview package. So for now, you will need to manually edit the manifest.json file and add:
    "com.unity.ui": "1.0.0-preview.3"
    (but afterwards, you will be able to see updates and update via the Package Manager UI.

krazykhris875 likes this.
  27. optimise

optimise

upload_2020-7-9_23-6-16.png

Looks like a bug. I'm not sure why UI Builder viewport is not identical to actual UI at runtime.

28. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

The UIDocument represents the bridge between UI Toolkit world of VisualElements and the world of GameObjects. The goal of UI Toolkit was indeed to separate UI from the scene and that's where the tooling we build will focus (ie. the UI Builder).

You will have the freedom to compose UI however you'd like. You can have each menu screen a GameObject with a UIDocument and manage screen transitions they way you did with uGUI (enable/disable GameObjects). Or you can have all menu screens in a single UIDocument/GameObject and manage transitions via the `display` style (hide/show a VisualElement).

That said, we will tend to build tooling that favors more of the UI being composed and managed within UI Toolkit. For example, if you build the entire menu system inside a single UIDocument, you'll be able to test the transitions between the screens directly inside UI Builder without having to go into playmode. If you split the menu system up into GameObjects, you will need to use playmode every time.

There will still be plenty of need for splitting the UI into many UIDocuments on many GameObjects. For example, floating health-bars above units or eventually world space 3D UI. And this is why we will support both workflows.

ModLunar, Tanner555 and WAYNGames like this.
  29. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

The sample was built for a larger resolution in-game. The default UI Builder canvas size is a bit small. Try making the Builder's canvas larger (and zooming out).

We'll have ways to sync the two automatically in future updates.

SiriusRU, Tanner555 and optimise like this.
  30. Refeas

Refeas

Thank you for your reply! Definitely understand the world space UI scenario and reasoning behind multiple UI Documents there. Also glad to hear the workflow I intended to use is a valid one and in some ways beneficial.

Considering that, what is the computing/memory overhead for hidden elements? Let's say I'll build the entire main menu and its submenus into singular UI Document (and using UXML subtemplates for options menu etc.) - will there be any noticeable cost?

31. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

One UIDocument does not mean you need to create all elements inside the VisualElement tree at the same time. You can use C# to selectively CloneTree() different screens as you switch to them (just as you would hide/show them if they were already cloned) - or just `new` different complex elements as needed.

The main cost is `new` calls for each element, so it might make sense to avoid creating some elements at first. But you have to profile your specific case. I would definitely keep things simple and create everything at once and use `display` to show/hide them. Only optimize when you need to.

From a purely academic standpoint, it will always be cheaper to have one UIDocument/GameObject over multiple UIDocuments/GameObjects, just by the weight of a GameObject. That is, if you had 10,000 elements, and compared putting each one into a GameObject/UIDocument vs. a single UIDocument, the single UIDocument would be much faster. This is why we moved away from using GameObjects for UI in the first place.

Tanner555 and WAYNGames like this.
  32. Refeas

Refeas

Yeah, using the display attribute approach seems the most reasonable to me as well and have the elements pre loaded so the menu works smoothly.

33. JakHussain

JakHussain

I'm sorry but I just realised I don't quite understand one of the features coming later down the line. What exactly does "data binding" mean?

For runtime UI to be suitable for me, I'd want to be able to adjust text in labels in run time as well as set and receive values from sliders and things like that. But "data binding" coming later in the year tells me that the features I described aren't there yet. So is runtime UI only good for static UIs in the current preview?

And if what I just described is possible, then what does data binding translate to in terms of use case?

34. WAYNGames

WAYNGames

You can do data binding today but it's 'manual' you'll have to attach a monobehavior to the game object with the UIDocument and query the tree to get the visual element you want to update or for which you want to register a change event.

35. JakHussain

JakHussain

I see so if I wanted my code to respond to a slider value changing, I'd need to poll the value every frame to see if it changed?

36. WAYNGames

WAYNGames

No you'd need to make a monobehavior that on start query the UIDocument tree and register to the value change event of that slider by providing a delegate method. (At least that what I would do from my experiance with the UI Toolkit in custom editors)

Something like that :

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class ReactToSliderChange: MonoBehaviour
    2. {
    3.      private void Start()
    4.     {
    5.         Slider slider = GetComponent<UIDocument>().rootVisualElement.Q<Slider>();
    6.         slider.RegisterValueChangedCallback(CallBackMethod);
    7.     }
    9.     private void CallBackMethod(ChangeEvent<float> evt)
    10.     {
    11.         // React to value change.
    12.     }
    13. }

37. Tanner555

Tanner555

I like how Unity packages are now being distributed into core Unity. This allows Unity to treat these features as first class, and thus the editor will assume these features will always be installed, and this will help improve support of essential packages in the future. It's having the best of both worlds. Unity features being distributed as open source packages, and also having first class support all integrated into the core Unity experience.

I believe this was the major flaw with ProBuilder. Because it was an optional feature, it was never fully integrated into Unity. Many Developers ended up not using ProBuilder, and support for the asset has been very slow.

Please do this for all essential Unity features moving forward. This isn't making Unity more bloated. It's adding essential features that help evolve the engine, and makes everything easy to use without requiring a constant internet connection and going through package hell.

tacman1123, lclemens, JoNax97 and 3 others like this.
  38. DrSeltsam

DrSeltsam

This is great news, thanks for the new package! :) One small question regarding the new input system: Previously (using the old runtime 0.0.4 package) I was able to use a custom InputWrapper to override input (as I'm no longer using legacy Input in my project), but apparently this doesn't work properly anymore in the 1.0-preview. More specifically, the mouse position isn't queried from my wrapper apparently, and as a result, hover effects don't work (although clicks still work, but that doesn't seem to be coming from the InputWrapper?)...

Did I miss something? Or is it better to just wait for the 1.0-preview-4 (which will have actual support for the new input system, according to the original post)? Will the preview-4 be available sometime in the 2020.1 cycle?

39. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

Yes, please wait for preview-4, which should be available in a time frame measured in weeks, not months. Also, preview-4 will still be compatible with 2020.1 so you won't be forced to upgrade to 2020.2. The goal is to support 2020.1 for all future preview releases of the package until it goes verified in 2021.1.

lclemens, Tanner555 and DrSeltsam like this.
  40. Korindian

Korindian

Quick clarification: In the first post, in the section "What Will Ship Later", are those items (animation, data binding, shaders, etc.) coming later after the 2021.1 release, or after the preview 4 release sometime in 2020?

41. Araj

Araj

Hi!
    Do you plan to add new controls to the package? Something like tables/grids, viewtrees, charts, etc? Can you share with us the controls that you are planning to add?

Thank you!

42. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

In UI Toolkit 1.1, after the 2021.1 release.

Korindian likes this.
  43. optimise

optimise

I just try UI Toolkit a little bit and found that it's quite different from current Unity UI. Is there any plan to bring back the smooth authoring experience nearly identical to current Unity UI? Currently I found there are 2 authoring experience I hope can return back to UI Toolkit. First is hold mouse then drag left and right to tweak value at UI Builder Inspector and second is select the item eg. Button to author its position directly by just holding the item and drag it.

44. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes to both.

We hijacked the Inspector fields for handling USS variables but we are realizing we're breaking the drag tweaking behaviour, so we'll revert it and figure out something else.

As for the canvas authoring, it's a comment that keeps coming up. Our initial intent was to provide adaptive layout by default so you don't have to come back later in the process to make sure it fits on all screen resolution. We realize it's not how people approaches authoring so we're currently exploring ideas to improve that area as well.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    JohngUK, lclemens, Tanner555 and 2 others like this.
  45. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

Overtime, yes, more controls will come built-in. We are focusing on core functionality right now and the UI Builder for the 1.0 release because these are basic features that cannot be emulated easily in user code. Custom controls can be made with the existing public APIs.

We'll start adding more official controls after the 1.0 release.

Tanner555 likes this.
  46. Chris-Trueman

Chris-Trueman

After adding “com.unity.ui”: “1.0.0-preview.3” to my manifest.json file. It installs the package but I have no option to add UIDocument to a game object.

UI Toolkit is listed in the package manager. I already had UIBuilder installed, for making custom editor windows, custom editors and drawers.

Not sure if I did something wrong. I have no options anywhere for UI toolkit expect for the asset->create->UI Toolkit menu that lists Style Sheet, UI Document(creates uxml file) and Editor Window.

Refeas likes this.
  47. WAYNGames

WAYNGames

Sorry for all the question but it might help debug things.

Are you using Unity 2020.1.0b14 or higher ?
    Can you post the full content of your dependencies in package.json ?
    If you had the previous com.unity.ui.runtime package, did you make sure to remove it form your dependencies ?
    Do you have any compilation error ?

48. Chris-Trueman

Chris-Trueman

Code (CSharp):
    1. {
    2.   "dependencies": {
    3.     "com.unity.2d.animation": "4.2.4",
    4.     "com.unity.2d.pixel-perfect": "3.0.2",
    5.     "com.unity.2d.psdimporter": "3.1.4",
    6.     "com.unity.2d.sprite": "1.0.0",
    7.     "com.unity.2d.spriteshape": "4.1.2",
    8.     "com.unity.2d.tilemap": "1.0.0",
    9.     "com.unity.addressables": "1.8.4",
    10.     "com.unity.collab-proxy": "1.3.8",
    11.     "com.unity.ide.visualstudio": "2.0.2",
    12.     "com.unity.inputsystem": "1.0.0",
    13.     "com.unity.test-framework": "1.1.14",
    14.     "com.unity.textmeshpro": "3.0.0",
    15.     "com.unity.timeline": "1.2.14",
    16.     "com.unity.ugui": "1.0.0",
    17.     "com.unity.ui.builder": "1.0.0-preview.1",
    18.     "com.unity.modules.ai": "1.0.0",
    19.     "com.unity.modules.androidjni": "1.0.0",
    20.     "com.unity.modules.animation": "1.0.0",
    21.     "com.unity.modules.assetbundle": "1.0.0",
    22.     "com.unity.modules.audio": "1.0.0",
    23.     "com.unity.modules.cloth": "1.0.0",
    24.     "com.unity.modules.director": "1.0.0",
    25.     "com.unity.modules.imageconversion": "1.0.0",
    26.     "com.unity.modules.imgui": "1.0.0",
    27.     "com.unity.modules.jsonserialize": "1.0.0",
    28.     "com.unity.modules.particlesystem": "1.0.0",
    29.     "com.unity.modules.physics": "1.0.0",
    30.     "com.unity.modules.physics2d": "1.0.0",
    31.     "com.unity.modules.screencapture": "1.0.0",
    32.     "com.unity.modules.terrain": "1.0.0",
    33.     "com.unity.modules.terrainphysics": "1.0.0",
    34.     "com.unity.modules.tilemap": "1.0.0",
    35.     "com.unity.modules.ui": "1.0.0",
    36.     "com.unity.modules.uielements": "1.0.0",
    37.     "com.unity.modules.umbra": "1.0.0",
    38.     "com.unity.modules.unityanalytics": "1.0.0",
    39.     "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequest": "1.0.0",
    40.     "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequestassetbundle": "1.0.0",
    41.     "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequestaudio": "1.0.0",
    42.     "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequesttexture": "1.0.0",
    43.     "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequestwww": "1.0.0",
    44.     "com.unity.modules.vehicles": "1.0.0",
    45.     "com.unity.modules.video": "1.0.0",
    46.     "com.unity.modules.vr": "1.0.0",
    47.     "com.unity.modules.wind": "1.0.0",
    48.     "com.unity.modules.xr": "1.0.0",
    49.     "com.unity.ui": "1.0.0-preview.3"
    50.   }
    51. }
    I had the old runtime at one point, but I removed it.
    I am using 2020.1.0b15 and have no compilation error.

49. PedroGV

PedroGV

UI Toolkit is great. Cannot wait to get v1 final.

I have a couple questions:

1. Any news/ETA regarding attribute support? (I don't see mentioned in the roadmap), and

2. What's the recommended approach to handle special fonts for localization?

50. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

I see from your manifest you have the Input System installed as well. The current release of com.unity.ui has some incompatibilities with the Input System that will be fixed in the next drop. To confirm, create a new scene and temporarily uninstall the Input System. Can you add a UIDocument now?

This is still in our backlog.

Nothing special should be needed. If the font you are using supports the special characters, they should render correctly in the UI.

Tanner555 and WAYNGames like this.