Search Unity

UI -> Text option Suggestion...

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Kesarium, Nov 5, 2017.

?

Who would want this to be implemented?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  1. Kesarium

Kesarium

Is it possible that we can get a parameter on the UI -> Text component for an indention of X amount of space characters, and then the .TEXT is displayed after the indention parameter, if indention is enabled? The indention would take into consideration the size of the font, text, and bolt/italics/etc.

I'm suggesting this because I have as my text parameter " TEXT" and I'll have to add all those spaces to the .Text property any time I update that text, per game object.

2. Johannski

Johannski

TextMesh Pro supports tabs and therefore indentation. It was bought by unity and will be integrated within unity as the standard solution at some point. You can already download the asset for free now: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/84126

I don't think unity will put a lot of work into the current system when they are already starting to replace it. btw. Textmesh pro is really good, so consider switching :)

3. Kesarium

Kesarium

Thanks for replying @Johannski

I may be wrong but I think Unity needs to take things into a simplification and refactoring stage.

I've been following Unity for a few years now and things keep getting more obscure each time I want to continue my main project.

@Johannski just curious, are you the Developer of TextMesh Pro?

4. Johannski

Johannski

No, that is @Stephan_B , he is also very active in the forum. I'm just a text mesh pro enthusiast, the text rendering is really good and very performant :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Stephan_B likes this.