Search Unity

UI stops working with multiple GameViews

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by arkano22, Sep 18, 2017.

1. arkano22

arkano22

Hi all!

I'm working on a game that uses Unity's (2017.1) multi display feature. While testing it out in the editor (macOS Sierra 10.12.3) I noticed very strange behavior, and I'm reaching to you guys to see if we can determine it to be a bug so that I can report it.

1.- Create a new Button in your scene (will autogenerate a basic UI setup with a canvas)

2.- Have more than one GameView tabs open in the editor.

3.- Click play.

4.- UI input (both mouse and keyboard) will completely cease to work, in all GameView tabs.

If you close or hide all GameView tabs except one, input will work again.

Note that this happens regardless of the multi display setup of your scene cameras, and happens no matter what render mode you set the canvas to. It is reproducible on a brand new project. If this turns out to be a bug, I'd say is a pretty crippling one. Can anyone confirm this is not a brain fart of mine?

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yeah Multiple display input currently only works with Windows Standalone.... :eek:
    Editor does not have full input support.
    The OSX team have recently added support but thats not currently out yet and will only work in standalone, not editor, I think its in 2017.3.
    So for the moment the UI will process all input regardless of the display as it has no way to know what display is receiving the input. I have done some work towards a prototype Editor support however there were some blocker issues that came up :(

I wrote a simple emulator that should work in the Editor https://forum.unity.com/threads/multi-display-canvases-not-working-in-5-4-2.439429/#post-2844936

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017