Search Unity

Official UI Roadmap - Q3 2020

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by benoitd_unity, Sep 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,

Here's an update on our UI roadmap for the 2021 release cycle, which we've been revising based on your input. So thank you for that, we all appreciate the feedback you've been providing.

UI Roadmap 2021.png

Our goal is to improve how developers and artists collaborate together when making game UI. We want to:
    • Enable UI artists to iterate directly in Unity, with less dependency on programmers
    • Allow UI developers to build and maintain a reusable library of custom UI components
    • Provide a solution for building high quality UI that performs well on all platforms
    Preview Release
    UI Toolkit 1.0 is almost feature complete and is about to enter the pre-release phase, during which we'll work on improving stability, performance and workflows. It's currently available for you to try, do refer to this forum thread to know how to get started.

What about 3D UI?
    Before tackling world space UI, we want to make sure UI Toolkit is a great solution for making screen overlay UI, that is well integrated with the other Unity features. This means good workflows for authoring, animating and improving the performance of UI in your project.

For the time being, if you need 3D UI for your project, our recommendation is to use UGUI, which we're making sure will work well alongside UI Toolkit.

What about Unity UI (UGUI)?
    We're still committed at maintaining that technology as long as necessary for users to transition to UI Toolkit.

What about DOTS?
    You can use UI Toolkit if you're using DOTS but targeting the Unity Player. For the DOTS Runtime support, this is still in development and we don't have an ETA to share yet.

We want to hear from you!
    Meanwhile, please keep providing feedback on either the roadmap, or UI Toolkit itself if you had to chance to try it. We're also very curious to see what you're building with it so feel free to share with us.

Stay safe everyone.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Ruchir, mopthrow, uStolz and 2 others like this.
  2. cultureulterior

cultureulterior

>What about DOTS?
    >You can use UI Toolkit if you're using DOTS but targeting the Unity Player.

Can I use IComponentData with UI Toolkit without going through GameObjects?

dannyalgorithmic likes this.
  3. MousePods

MousePods

Hi,

Thanks for the update! I am just curious about a few items that aren't on the roadmap.

1. Particles that are attached to game objects (see #2) and also particles sorted in the UI. So attaching a particle system to a specific position on a UI Image that can move with that image if that image is animated and also be maskable in a scrollview.

2. Using 2D/3D GameObjects inside the UI that is maskable. (So you can show stuff like 3D models or 2D sprites in a store to purchase and use in-game)

Thanks!

4. Baste

Baste

Could you go into detail about the planned difference between "asset based authoring" and "component-based authoring"?

5. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi MousePods,

Yes very good points. 2D/3D layering will be investigated alongside 3D UI, so not before 2022.

6. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Baste,

It's basically highlighting the two different methods of interacting with UI Documents for runtime purposes:
    • The UIDocument Component, which you attach on a GameObject and typically reference a UI Document (UXML) asset. This is where you set it up and could either extend or attach a MonoBehaviour companion to react to life cycle events. Very similar to the Canvas.
    • UI Toolkit also provides an asset, the PanelSettings, for tweaking global rendering and style settings for a set of UIDocuments. They also provide under the hood optimization for those groups of UIDocuments.

mariandev likes this.
  7. jGate99

jGate99

Hi @benoitd_unity
    Thanks for the updated roadmap.
    So new manual and samples are expected in mid of 2021? right

8. b4gn0

b4gn0

@benoitd_unity there is no mention of Particle System or (better) Visual Effect Graph to be integrated with UI Toolkit.
    Is it far in the future?

At the moment we are sequencing visual effect graphs in empty scene to generate sprite aliases and offset then at runtime. Is this the only way to have additional effects on top of UI Toolkit?

Thank you

MousePods likes this.
  9. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

No not for the moment. The recommendation is still to use UIDocument and reference this hybrid Component from your DOTS Systems.

I suggest you start a dedicated forum thread about this so we can get a conversation going.

10. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

They will be available when Unity 2021.1 releases, which should be around March timeframe.

jGate99 likes this.
  11. Hertzole

Hertzole

Will UI Toolkit still be semi-frequently updated with new preview fixes/features until 2021.1? I personally don't want another release of UI Toolkit and then wait for multiple months for the next version.

12. Onigiri

Onigiri

So text effects and workflows are delayed? I thought some of these will land in september or october but now i'm not sure.

13. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Yes we totally understand. Here's the plan:

We will still release UI Toolkit 1.0-preview monthly updates via the package until the Unity 2021.1 beta is available, at which point the 1.0 package version will be frozen and integrated in core Unity. That means no new features will be releasing but we'll keep making fixes and improvements throughout the regular beta cycle.

But, by 2021.1 beta, we'll also release a new version of the package, UI Toolkit 1.1-experimental, which will contain the new features we're working on for the next Unity release. You can expect the same monthly release cadence.

Would that work?

14. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes that slipped a bit, we're hoping to make that available soon.

15. Hertzole

Hertzole

So if I understood correctly, you'll freeze the 1.0 development when 2021.1 beta comes out but then release 1.1 preview for 2021.1? So development never really freezes and we get continuous releases? If that's the case, that sounds great! If not, well it's not too much of a bother. I'm just happy to be able to use UI toolkit for runtime now and I look forward to every little patch release! Just wish I could use it for 2020.2b3+ as that is what I'm currently using :)

16. distastee

distastee

Thanks for sharing this! Love love love what y'all are building.

The lack of mobile support has been crushing (i.e. total blocker). I appreciate that being a high priority. Any chance that iOS support lands earlier than full-fledged mobile?

lclemens and benoitd_unity like this.
  17. dannyalgorithmic

dannyalgorithmic

1.0 && integrated into core == preview? Why must ya'll be this way? XD

18. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes our goal is keep releasing preview versions of the package so you can get early access and provide feedback. Not entirely sure when 1.1-preview will be available but it might be earlier than that.

Not exactly. Once it gets in core, it's no longer in preview. From that point on, the team is stabilizing and polishing the feature until Unity gets released.

19. Araj

Araj

Are you planning on moving the current 2020.2 ReorderableList from IMGUI to UI Toolkit? Can we mix this reorderable list with custom inspectors made with UI Toolkit?

Thank you!

dannyalgorithmic and Nexer8 like this.
  20. Nexer8

Nexer8

upload_2020-10-19_17-11-4.png
    As you can see in this image, the UI made with the UI toolkit lookes aliased. Is there a way to get it to look sharper before 2021.2? Also, with larger border radiuses, you can clearly see the edges/vertices of the underlying mesh; will this be fixed at some point?

jGate99 likes this.
  21. b4gn0

b4gn0

22. Nexer8

Nexer8

23. Ryuuguu

Ryuuguu

Are TMP autosize font feature or regular best fit, text targeted for 2021.1 or are those additional text formatting properties coming in 2021.2?

24. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

I'm quite excited about UI Toolkit and have been using it for my Editor tools with great joy. I'm just sad & disappointed to see that world space UI is being pushed back in time so far away. I understand that you want to have a solid solution for overlay first, but isn't this something that could be done along side developing overlay UI?
    If I'm not mistaken the old roadmap was to have worldspace UI available near the end of this year. But I'm just sad to see it pushed back all the way till 2022.
    I don't want to be a naggy person, I mean UI Toolkit is a huge improvement on UGUI where huge is even an understatement. It is a great job so far, maybe I'm just impatient :p

The project I am mostly working on is 99% UI and is in VR so no overlay UI for me. It is quite a complex project too, something that could've been a lot easier if we could've used UI Toolkit. So I have been trying to replicate the behaviour of UI Toolkit using UGUI and Monobehaviours. The project demands ain't making it any easier due to lots of 'asynchronous' cancellable operations, conditions and states.

Ruchir and MousePods like this.
  25. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Every time I ask that question to the team, they stare at me with angry eyes :confused:

I'm sorry to hear it's going to be extra work for you in your project. If we could release both 3D and Overlay at the same, we certainly would :)

Best of luck with your VR project!

frarf and JakHussain like this.
  26. JohnAustinPontoco

JohnAustinPontoco

Second VR developer here. Also pretty sad to hear world space UI is delayed. :\

Is there a way you'd be able to get it to a rough preview state? We're very happy to use experimental and changing tech (InputSystem user since 2018). UGUI is just not performant enough for mobile VR, so we'd really like to use something better.

27. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

We'll provide access to upcoming preview features, including world space UI, in the next experimental version (1.1) of the UI Toolkit package once we release 1.0.

frarf, Ruchir, JohngUK and 7 others like this.
  28. ZhavShaw

ZhavShaw

Probably been answered hundreds of times, but when's the release of 1.0?

29. MousePods

MousePods

I am also curious about this.

ZhavShaw and Ryuuguu like this.
  30. BenjaminVintecc

BenjaminVintecc

Will it be possible in the future to use GraphView in game view with UIDocument?
    It is possible to use the system in the game view, but due to the UnityEditor namespace it isn't possible to create builds.

31. Orimay

Orimay

What is meant under localization package support? Is it gonna be something without async callbacks per string table every time I need to display content?

32. dannyalgorithmic

dannyalgorithmic

Unless something is "feature complete" or at least has "feature parity" please do not label it 1.0. Extremely misleading.

florianhanke likes this.
  33. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

A feature or product releasing at 1.0 means it's complete for what it's meant to do at that version. It will always evolve and gain new capabilities, features and improvements. The version is not meant to represent parity with other solutions but rather to track the evolution of the feature itself.

frarf, dannyalgorithmic and Djayp like this.
  34. acmshar

acmshar

I see that the plan is to release version 1.0 with 2021.1. What is the plan for 1.0 compatibility with 2020 (LTS)? I will likely upgrade to the LTS when available and I'm wondering if I'd be able to start using the runtime UI at that time.

bdovaz likes this.
  35. MRDane

MRDane

Would be nice to have a component like the canvas that does not add another drawcall that could change the render order but get affected by masks.

36. JuliaP_Unity

JuliaP_Unity

Unity Technologies

Support for 2020 (LTS) will only be available through using the UI Toolkit package, unfortunately.

37. acmshar

acmshar

I'm not sure I understand. If I am using 2020 LTS, and I use the package manager, will I be able to use 1.0?

38. uMathieu

uMathieu

Unity Technologies

For 2020.2 LTS, runtime support will remain a preview package and may lack some features. We intend to ship out-of-the-box runtime support with 2021.2

mariandev and marcospgp like this.
  39. ZhavShaw

ZhavShaw

So we won't be seeing this for another year.

40. acmshar

acmshar

Thanks for the follow up.

41. optimise

optimise

Hi @benoitd_unity. Does DOTS Runtime support coming soon?

42. smallstep

smallstep

I've installed 2021.1.b2 but can't find how to create the UIDocument GameObject. The UI Toolkit seems to be embedded in this version (without the need of packages) but it doesn't work. Is this supposed to be the case or I am missing something obvious?

43. Chris-Trueman

Chris-Trueman

UITK runtime is not built into 2021.1b2, UIBuilder is. UITK runtime is currently not compatible with 2021, it throws a few errors when you install it or upgrade a project with it installed. I've tried it with preview 11, 12 and 13 and they all don't work. So you can only make editor stuff with it until they get it all compatible.

@benoitd_unity, @uMathieu or @JuliaP_Unity can you tell us when it will be compatible?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Nexer8 likes this.
  44. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

We currently have no update to share regarding DOTS runtime support.

45. Digika

Digika

I cannot install com.unity.ui 1.0.0.-preview.10, on 2020.2f .9 and .11 are here but .10 does not exist.
    Can you restore it?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  46. DS2-Donelan

DS2-Donelan

Hey, sorry if this was asked somewhere else, I didn't see it anywhere.

Are there any plans for running UI on a separate thread(s)? e.g. if I were loading a scene and I wanted to avoid the hiccups affecting my loading screen UI (async scene load still hiccups when the scene is activated)

Nexer8, Wuzer, TimHeijden and 4 others like this.
  47. Neiyra

Neiyra

Hi, are there any plans to migrate ColorField from UnityEditor.UIElements to UnityEngine.UIElements?
    It would be very helpful if the ColorPicker logic would be available per default at runtime, too. :)

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Nexer8 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.