Search Unity

UI: One Button to Open Variable URLS?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by JefferyWright, Jan 22, 2020.

1. JefferyWright

JefferyWright

I have a panel with copy I can populate from a function, the panel also has a button, which depending on the active function, I want to open a specific URL.

The panel button is specified via:
    Code (csharp):
    1. public Button getUrl;
    An example of a typical function is:

Code (csharp):
    1.  public void f_B01()
    2.     {
    3.         DisplayPanel.SetActive(true);
    4.         ProductName.text = "Cylinders and Actuators";
    5.         ProductDesc.text = "The leading global manufacturer of hydraulic cylinders.";
    6.        // This doesn't work:
    7.         getUrl.OpenURL("http://website01.com/");
    9.     }
    Each function has a unique URL, how do I get the panel button to get the url in each function and open it?

This is the current error I'm getting:

error CS1061: 'Button' does not contain a definition for 'OpenURL' and no accessible extension method 'OpenURL' accepting a first argument of type 'Button' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Thanks.

2. StarManta

StarManta

You're trying to get the button component to open the URL, and the button component doesn't have that ability. Try Application.OpenURL instead.

3. Antistone

Antistone

I assume you mean that you want to open that URL when the button is clicked, in which case you'll need to write a function for the button to call when it's clicked, assign that function to the buttons OnClick event, and write the function such that it accesses the currently-appropriate URL (presumably stored in a variable somewhere) and calls Application.OpenURL() or something similar.