Search Unity

UI not showing when I right click on hierarchy!

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Boy2000, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Boy2000

Boy2000

I'm using Unity Version 2019.2.0f1, When I right-click in the hierarchy, UI option doesn't show up, please tell me how to fix it, is there some files that I'm missing? If that's the case please let me know how to fix it.

adhochero likes this.
  2. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

You mean, if you right-click in the Hierarchy window, no right-click menu shows up? Like, right-click does nothing in the Hierachy window?

3. adhochero

adhochero

I am having the same issue. But when I right click in the hierarchy window, the pop up window to create new empty, 3d objects, etc, it opens but the UI option is not there

Little_Robot_Guys likes this.
  4. adhochero

adhochero

D5B8A8C2-D57F-47DA-BAD0-2AC71EF50E74.jpeg

AngoGames and Shoukrollah like this.
  5. adhochero

adhochero

Sorry for so many replys but im on mobile and the edit is impossible. It s okay now just saved and restart unity and the UI option is back

amardari and Shoukrollah like this.
  6. Boy2000

Boy2000

Restarting Unity doesn’t help me though! It’s still the same!

DaffaAstrid likes this.
  7. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

Oh, I understand now. This is a uGUI question (there's a different forum for uGUI as its a different framework than UIElements - I'll move the thread).

In any case, uGUI is a package now so it's possible that if the uGUI package was now properly compiled you won't get the UI option in that menu. Check the Console for errors.

Moving thread to: https://forum.unity.com/forums/unity-ui-ugui-textmesh-pro.60/

8. l8njacobs

l8njacobs

Has anyone found a fix to this issue? I'm running Unity 2019.1.7f1 and have been having this problem in specific projects.

I've deleted the Library folder and restarted Unity, it still hasn't fixed the issue.

9. InitusInteractive

InitusInteractive

I'm having this same issue, no idea where it went..

10. InitusInteractive

InitusInteractive

Fixed it, removed Unity UI and TextMeshPro, then readded them both, restarted and now UI is back in the Scene context menu.

11. Cachorro_JooJ

Cachorro_JooJ

But how can i remove Unity UI and TextMeshPro?

honor0102 likes this.
  12. RamyGHOST

RamyGHOST

go to window, package manager then search for text mesh pro and unity UI (you need to remove text mesh pro first)

INL_AVL and ritikbheda like this.
  13. rjjderks

rjjderks

That does the trick! Thanks

14. parthsovani

parthsovani

i cant seee unity ui in package manager

15. Devster2020

Devster2020

You need to look at the top of the "Package Manager" window... there is a dropdown menu with "In Project" label.. click on it and select "All Packages".
    Now you can see the package you're looking for.

16. Lapsapnow

Lapsapnow

Same problem,

SOLUTION : Just try a good old restart. It fixed it for me.

17. Petreus

Petreus

UNITY 2020.2.1f1
    still this bug accours, I think is time u guys do something about it, I did 2 progects, it accoured 2 times in a row in 2 weeks

18. iam11yearsoldboiiiii

iam11yearsoldboiiiii

I tried every possible solution that i could fin on google and none of them worked.
    I have the same issue that everyone else here has. Someone please help.
    This is my 5th project failing so if anyone of you can help please, you'll be a life saver

19. iam11yearsoldboiiiii

iam11yearsoldboiiiii

I HAVE THE S A M E PROBLEM I NEED YOUR HELP

20. Topusku

Topusku

Using 2020.3.0f1 and this bug still occurs.

I haven't found any solution that seems to work at the moment and it's pretty crucial to get TextMeshPro/UI elements working. It seems to be happening in every project, so there's probably a problem importing the assets or packages.

Screenshot_317.png

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  21. Little_Robot_Guys

Little_Robot_Guys

I also am getting this issue. Saving/restarting didn't help. Why is this not fixed yet?
    upload_2021-3-23_11-6-47.png

Steps to reproduce:
    1.) Create a new scene, using EMPTY template.
    2.) Attempt to right-click in the Hierarchy to create any UI element of any kind (Canvas, Button, Text, Whatever)
    3.) Throw laptop out window.

The only way to get things lined up easily in this state is to click the element in question, and go up to GameObject menu at the top, and for some reason UI menu is there (but at the very bottom, away from other "Create" options. See below:
    upload_2021-3-23_11-10-35.png

asnupy likes this.
  22. Little_Robot_Guys

Little_Robot_Guys

Submitted a bug with a project file and link to this thread. Cross your fingers.

23. leoteloken03

leoteloken03

I'm having this issue that you described, mine righ-click isn't working in the hierarchy window

Shoukrollah likes this.
  24. FantasticGlass

FantasticGlass

Ya I'm having the same issue. 2020.3.1f1. Tried removing Unity UI and Text Mesh Pro packages, restarting windows and reinstalling.
    Nothing worked.
    Pls help. I can't create a new project!!! :(

Also the Unity Collaborate Package has a corrupted .cs file. AdapterListView.cs.
    Only half a line of code is contained in the .cs file. removing, restarting, and installing the Unity Collaborate package has no effect on this error.

25. FantasticGlass

FantasticGlass

SOLUTION:
    I just fixed it by removing each package one by one, with a full system restart in between each removal.
    And also a restart in between each installation of the packages again.

Hope this will work for someone else!

26. SuperLolGuy7865

SuperLolGuy7865

Click on GameObject on the top then see UI at the very bottom of the list imageUnityReply.PNG

HadezBlue, DaFiTime and MaxAllen05 like this.
  27. MaxAllen05

MaxAllen05

Thank you so much that worked

28. nightborn

nightborn

Why is that this has changed? I find this very unusable...

29. fjshomeplate

fjshomeplate

Same problem with 2D primitives... in unity 2020.2.2f

30. kfcbucketyay

kfcbucketyay

How do I Re add them?

31. Dubitrubi

Dubitrubi

Reverting the Unity Hub version from the Beta 3.0 to Production 2.4.4 solved this problem for me.

32. hieutt_unity65

hieutt_unity65

It worked.
    And I realize when I used hub 3.0, so many errors appears when open project, but that errors can clear.

33. dohyun9565

dohyun9565

It's resolved.

34. EmpireOfLight

EmpireOfLight

I have just encountered this same issue in Unity 2020.3.15f2. It was there just a few minutes ago and now it's disappeared. Restarting Unity itself fixed the problem. I did not alter installed packages in any way.

tonialatalo likes this.
  35. Jolykj

Jolykj

Did you find a solution to this problem?

36. enaielei

enaielei

Lol... Just realized that I'm having the same issue.
    I'm using Unity Hub 3.0.0.beta-4 and Unity Editor 2021.3.16f1.
    I guess I'll stick to the GameObject menu for now.

37. rajeshkalavakunta

rajeshkalavakunta

I had the same problem, It will happen when packages are not resolved.
    - Restart the Unity, Packages are automatically resolved.

38. humanMusic

humanMusic

If you still have issues, I solved it in a very brute force way. I downloaded a random UI asset from the asset store, imported it into my scene, made duplicates of the cavas and any gameobjects I needed and deleted the rest.

39. erickgnwnt

erickgnwnt

u r so guud brahhhh

40. HTMLJSCSS

HTMLJSCSS

Here's a fix:
    1. Click on Window > Package Manager
    2. Remove UnityUI and TextMeshPro
    3. Click on Packages: In Project
    4. Search for UnityUI and TextMeshPro and re-add them
    5. Restart unity

41. ThunderStormEntertainment

ThunderStormEntertainment

You can also just reimport the Unity UI package, go into the Packages folder in the editor, right click in the Unity UI folder and click in reimport, then restart unity

42. megatechno607

megatechno607

Go to the "GameObject" at the top menu, You will find UI at the very bottom there.I hope it will help

43. ravi56

ravi56

Click on Assest and than Reimport all assest ,it will proberly solve the issue

44. ManieBesselaar

ManieBesselaar

Hi all . I have a work around . Firstly I tried the following solutions from this thread.
    Restarting unity. No Joy.
    Removing and re installing TextMeshPro and unity ui. No joy.
    Reverting unity hub. Did not try.

Workaround:
    For a text box or tmpro text box . Find your canvas in scene and right Click it. Create empty game object. Then in inspector just click ad component and find text, textmesh pro (ui) or whatever you need.
    A little clunky , but it works .
    Hope this helps someone until the issue is fixed.
    Ps. Has anyone filed a bug report on this one?

45. UNITEDFUTURES

UNITEDFUTURES

Had the same issue. This solved it for me:
    1. Removed TextMeshPro Package
    2. Install TextMeshPro Package
    3. Quit Project
    4. Open Project

46. Knbmedia

Knbmedia

Hi,
    I have now this problem after upgrading from 2020 to 2021.3.7f1: right click in the hierachy window does nothing and display an error in the console:

Code (CSharp):
    2. System.String.Substring (System.Int32 startIndex) (at <612a2c65aaf843d698f8d38b2ad7654a>:0)
    3. UnityEditor.SceneHierarchy.AddCreateGameObjectItemsToMenu (UnityEditor.GenericMenu menu, UnityEngine.Object[] context, System.Boolean includeCreateEmptyChild, System.Boolean useCreateEmptyParentMenuItem, System.Boolean includeGameObjectInPath, System.Int32 targetSceneHandle, UnityEditor.MenuUtils+ContextMenuOrigin origin) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneHierarchy.cs:882)
    4. UnityEditor.SceneHierarchy.CreateGameObjectContextClick (UnityEditor.GenericMenu menu, System.Int32 contextClickedItemID) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneHierarchy.cs:1300)
    5. UnityEditor.SceneHierarchy.ItemContextClick (System.Int32 contextClickedItemID) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneHierarchy.cs:1561)
    6. UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewController.HandleUnusedMouseEventsForItem (UnityEngine.Rect rect, UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewItem item, System.Int32 row) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/TreeView/TreeViewController.cs:515)
    7. UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewController.DoItemGUI (UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewItem item, System.Int32 row, System.Single rowWidth, System.Boolean hasFocus) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/TreeView/TreeViewController.cs:594)
    8. UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewController.IterateVisibleItems (System.Int32 firstRow, System.Int32 numVisibleRows, System.Single rowWidth, System.Boolean hasFocus) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/TreeView/TreeViewController.cs:837)
    9. UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewController.OnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect rect, System.Int32 keyboardControlID) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/TreeView/TreeViewController.cs:727)
    10. UnityEditor.SceneHierarchy.DoTreeView (System.Single searchPathHeight) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneHierarchy.cs:845)
    11. UnityEditor.SceneHierarchy.OnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect rect) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneHierarchy.cs:625)
    12. UnityEditor.SceneHierarchyWindow.DoSceneHierarchy () (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneHierarchyWindow.cs:159)
    13. UnityEditor.SceneHierarchyWindow.OnGUI () (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneHierarchyWindow.cs:140)
    14. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:448)
    15. UnityEditor.DockArea.DrawView (UnityEngine.Rect dockAreaRect) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:387)
    16. UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:378)
    17. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 parentTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout, UnityEngine.Rect layoutSize, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/ModuleOverrides/com.unity.ui/Core/IMGUIContainer.cs:372)
    18. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/ModuleOverrides/com.unity.ui/Core/IMGUIContainer.cs:693)
    19. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/ModuleOverrides/com.unity.ui/Core/IMGUIContainer.cs:665)
    20. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/ModuleOverrides/com.unity.ui/Core/IMGUIContainer.cs:658)
    21. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.SendEventToIMGUIRaw (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, System.Boolean canAffectFocus, System.Boolean verifyBounds) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/ModuleOverrides/com.unity.ui/Core/IMGUIContainer.cs:618)
    22. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.SendEventToIMGUI (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, System.Boolean canAffectFocus, System.Boolean verifyBounds) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/ModuleOverrides/com.unity.ui/Core/IMGUIContainer.cs:607)
    23. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/ModuleOverrides/com.unity.ui/Core/IMGUIContainer.cs:535)
    24. UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatchUtilities.PropagateEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/ModuleOverrides/com.unity.ui/Core/Events/IEventDispatchingStrategy.cs:113)
    25. UnityEngine.UIElements.MouseEventDispatchingStrategy.SendEventToRegularTarget (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/ModuleOverrides/com.unity.ui/Core/Events/MouseEventDispatchingStrategy.cs:35)
    26. UnityEngine.UIElements.MouseEventDispatchingStrategy.SendEventToTarget (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/ModuleOverrides/com.unity.ui/Core/Events/MouseEventDispatchingStrategy.cs:26)
    27. UnityEngine.UIElements.MouseEventDispatchingStrategy.DispatchEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel iPanel) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/ModuleOverrides/com.unity.ui/Core/Events/MouseEventDispatchingStrategy.cs:19)
    28. UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.ApplyDispatchingStrategies (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel, System.Boolean imguiEventIsInitiallyUsed) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/ModuleOverrides/com.unity.ui/Core/EventDispatcher.cs:381)
    29. UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.ProcessEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/ModuleOverrides/com.unity.ui/Core/EventDispatcher.cs:344)
    30. UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.Dispatch (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel, UnityEngine.UIElements.DispatchMode dispatchMode) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/ModuleOverrides/com.unity.ui/Core/EventDispatcher.cs:222)
    31. UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel.SendEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase e, UnityEngine.UIElements.DispatchMode dispatchMode) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/ModuleOverrides/com.unity.ui/Core/Panel.cs:419)
    32. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/ModuleOverrides/com.unity.ui/Core/UIElementsUtility.cs:468)
    33. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.UnityEngine.UIElements.IUIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr, System.Boolean& eventHandled) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/ModuleOverrides/com.unity.ui/Core/UIElementsUtility.cs:211)
    34. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIEventRegistration.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/ModuleOverrides/com.unity.ui/Core/UIElementsUtility.cs:74)
    35. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIEventRegistration+<>c.<.cctor>b__1_2 (System.Int32 i, System.IntPtr ptr) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/ModuleOverrides/com.unity.ui/Core/UIElementsUtility.cs:28)
    36. UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr, System.Boolean& result) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:189)
    If I uninstall TextMeshPro: right click works.
    But the bug occurs again after reinstalling it.
    I tried a lot of things (reimport all, delete library folder) but nothing works.
    Any ideas?

EDIT:
    After testing, it's not TextMeshPro: when removing it, i got console errors (because some of my scripts use it) then right click works.
    I have the same behavior if I remove In App Purchasing for example: I got error in my scripts but right click works.
    Only when reinstalling packages so no more errors then right click does not work.
    I think that Unity stops loading some stuff when errors linked to packages appear so right click works at this moment.

EDIT 2:
    Finally, I found that an Editor script from on old asset was causing this strange bug.
    No idea why. I found this Editor script when removing all my Unity assets one by one...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  47. bhushanshetye81

bhushanshetye81

Perfect solution i have :-

Go to windows - then select package manager - then there is name like package: in project select it and change to unity registry , then search for text mesh pro and install it and unity UI also.

48. gamesbydre

gamesbydre

Just remove and reinstall textmesh pro for urp users

49. HadezBlue

HadezBlue

Your comment saved me after 2 hours of looking online. Thank you!