Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug UI-> Menu Missing from "Create" Context Menu

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by KingKRoecks, Oct 29, 2020.

1. KingKRoecks

KingKRoecks

When you right-click in the hierarchy, you can "Create Empty" as well as a number of other common things, like 3D Object, 2D Object, etc.

Previously, there was a "UI" option in here for creating a new GameObject with a Canvas.

This menu appears to be missing as of 2020.2.0b8.3329.

Since UI objects are easily some of the most esoteric components to have to know how to build from scratch, I'd really like to see this option added back into the Context Menu.

Thanks!

2. KingKRoecks

KingKRoecks

I upgraded temporarily to try out the new parameter in the SkinnedMeshRenderer.bakeMesh() to prevent scale from distorting the result of the baked mesh. I'll be downgrading again now lol

3. Singtaa

Singtaa

I'm using 2020.2.0b8.3329, and the UI option is there.

Screenshot 2020-10-29 230642.png

4. KingKRoecks

KingKRoecks

Crazy. Not sure why it wasn't there for me then. I didn't have any errors preventing compilation.

Thanks

Miguel1691 and Singtaa like this.
  5. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

It happened to me when I installed the UI package a while after removing it from a project that the UI submenu did not appear. I restarted the editor and the menu appeared since.

6. Voronoi

Voronoi

I have been having this happen intermittently, and not only is UI missing, but XR and a plug-in that I'm using. Editing a script sometimes fixes it. Right-clicking on the Packages folder and selecting 'Reimport All' fixes it, although it takes a while. Also, usually removing and adding back a Package will fix it.

This error results in a lot of problems building for Xcode. Either the UI is broken, missing or the XR subsytem fails to build resulting in a black screen on the device.

Before building, I have to check my menus that UI and XR are both there. If they are, everything works. It's a pain, and I really can't figure out what is causing the problem. I've tried downgrading the XR packages and removing packages I don't need. Nothing seems to make this go away.

I'm using 2020.2.0b12 on a Mac

gregmtran and DINmatin like this.
  7. Miguel1691

Miguel1691

I have the same problem on Unity 2020.2.1f

Goty-Metal likes this.
  8. L4ZZAR8

L4ZZAR8

I have the same issue with UI and XR in Unity 2020.2.6f1 .. it's really annoying because I have to clear the Library folder and restart the project to fix this. It also prevents my AR features from building correctly.
    Screenshot_1.png

Goty-Metal and dtaddis like this.
  9. Goty-Metal

Goty-Metal

Same issue.... just updated to 2020.3.0f1 and the UI menu dissapeared...

10. etorras

etorras

Same here. Any updates?

11. Goty-Metal

Goty-Metal

So after a few days (i did not update anything) the menu just appeared again, that's really weird... maybe a temp bug after the update? try again @etorras maybe yo're lucky like me:)

12. saitso

saitso

In 2020.3.2f1, I have not UI Option in the Hierrachy.

But i have the option in the menu:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  13. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Could you please submit a bug report for this issue if you are affected by it?

14. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

I am having the same exact problem in 2020.3.16 and happened in 2020.3.15.

Sent a bug report...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  15. Wolfram

Wolfram

I did some digging and found a really bizarre (and seemingly unrelated) cause/solution.
    Are you guys using PlasticSCM? We are, and we are having this problem in all projects that:
    - are a valid PlasticSCM (non-cloud) workspace (indicated by the file /.plastic/plastic.workspace being present)
    - AND have the Unity package com.unity.collab-proxy being installed in version 1.7.1 - which happens by default for all new projects in 2020.3(.16)

Workaround:
    - UNINSTALL package "Version Control" via PackageManager (might have been renamed to "Collaborate")
    - OR upgrade it to a newer version, such as 1.9.0

Reported as bug #1358565.
    Probably also related to https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/ui-option-is-missing-from-hierarchy-context-menu

cheric, sadpeperoni and FlightOfOne like this.
  16. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

As a matter of fact, I am!! the same setup as you also. Thanks for the share, I will try this.

17. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

@Wolfram

Thanks a lot for this! Upgrading to 1.9 worked (anyone who tries, make sure to restart the editor). It was getting super annoying having to go through the main, Game Object menu (which now I see was broken too because UI menu was all the way at the bottom, now that too moved back), to create UI elements.

How in the world did you figure this out, I would have never guessed these were related. Thanks again!

Wolfram likes this.
  18. Wolfram

Wolfram

It was quite a hassle ^^ but essentially by comparing to an empty/new non-Plastic project, then incrementally copying project files to it from a broken project, until it failed.
    Then doing the same for ANOTHER Plastic workspace, which did NOT have the problem (because as it turned out it didn't have com.unity.collab-proxy installed...).

FlightOfOne likes this.
  19. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

So after installing 1.9 I started getting this error. Did you notice this as well? Not sure if I need to do anything with Plastic (e.g. upgrade/reinstall)

upload_2021-8-17_10-1-15.png

20. Wolfram

Wolfram

No, didn't notice this. But also didn't check in detail, as we do not use any version control/collab from withni Unity, we only use the external PlasticSCM-Client, as it is much more powerful and intuitive and usable.

If you really need the Unity plugins, you can try the newest package version of com.unity.collab-proxy, it should be 2.1.0-preview.XYZ (you may need to enable Preview Packages in the PackMan first).

21. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

Thanks.

No, I am not using the plugin either, never have. I use the external client also. I don't even see a collab package -maybe that is the problem.

22. sadpeperoni

sadpeperoni

Thank you for this.

All the best.

23. cheric

cheric

thanks!!! uninstall "version control" worked

24. HYruTO2OOO

HYruTO2OOO

i had the same problem, i uninstalled the UI elements package, re installed it, closed the project and re opened it, and boom, the UI option came back for some reason lmao