Search Unity

UI Input Module breaks on reload

Discussion in 'Input System' started by Ofx360, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Ofx360

Ofx360

Using the New Input system's UI Input Module, every time i hot-reload my game after a code edit, the UI interaction stops working forcing me to quit play mode and re-enter. It's pretty annoying. The current fix is to just use the old Standalone Input Module with the old input system

This is probably a known issue (if not, i can report it), but are there any plans to fix this?

idbrii likes this.
  2. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Actions unfortunately don't support domain reloads in play mode ATM. While a known issue, feel free to report it as an issue with the bug reporter, though.

3. idbrii

idbrii

Reported it privately, but I don't know how to submit it to the public "vote on what we should fix" forum (everything points to unity feedback which is dead).

Workaround:

Re-create the controls in OnEnable(). Not sure how reliable this is, but it seems to work.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void OnEnable()
    2. {
    3.     // Unity input doesn't support reloads, so it may get wiped.
    4.     if (m_Controls == null)
    5.     {
    6.         m_Controls = new SimpleControls();
    7.     }
    8.     // end modification
    9.     m_Controls.Enable();
    10. }
    If this is the interim solution, could you add it to the importable sample code?

4. HellzStormer

HellzStormer

Any news on this? It's definitely a workflow killer to have to restart the app anytime I change the code.

To clarify in my case, I have code which directly checks the inputs, using Mouse.current. That code still works.

But I also use EventSystem, and that just seems to stop firing.

In the meantime, I reverted to the legacy input.

Edit: Using InputSystem 1.0.2 on Unity2020.3.0f1

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021