Search Unity

Feedback UI improvements needed for using AssetBundle most effectively

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by tonytopper, May 26, 2023.

1. tonytopper

tonytopper

The field in this pic that says "None" is unknowable in this UI. Nothing in the UI tells me what that field is.

PLEASE, for the love of your customer do some user testing or something so you find these usability issues sooner.

upload_2023-5-26_14-3-43.png

This is excessively frustrating.

2. AndrewSkow

AndrewSkow

Unity Technologies

Sorry for your frustration - I agree that second drop down is quite mysterious and not well documented. I think that when low level developers , who work on build and serialization layers (like me) get anywhere near the UI then sometimes the resulting UX experience has left much to be desired.

In this case I believe that dropdown is for assigning AssetBundle Variants. That feature is not widely used, partly because of lack of documentation and UI support. But when building with Variants, the first drop down would be AssetBundle name and the second would be the Variant name.

3. tonytopper

tonytopper

Thanks for the reply.

That makes sense and that was my guess after looking at some of the underlying APIs. I hope this UI gets polished (fixed) soon.

One of the worst things our industry did to developers was to make them think that they aren't part of the UX; it constantly shows in today's digital experience.