Search Unity

Unity UI UI Image component has no TileMode options... why?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by crdmrn, Oct 30, 2019.

1. crdmrn

crdmrn

Not sure what to add more, SpriteRenderers have the handy "TileMode" option when the shown sprite is set to Tile, while the UI Image component does not... why? Is it planned to be implemented at some point in the future?

2. Olmi

Olmi

Couldn't you use Panel, it has Image Type options, like sliced and tiled. Or am I missing something. What are you trying to do?

3. Antistone

Antistone

Panel isn't a separate component type. When you create UI -> Panel, it actually creates an object with an Image component, just with different parameters than if you had created UI -> Image.

You can tile a sprite on an Image component by changing its Image Type to Tiled.

4. crdmrn

crdmrn

Exactly. What I'm looking for is an answer from a Unity developer, because I feel like this is a missing feature.

5. Antistone

Antistone

Unity is currently working on and promoting UIElements as a successor for uGUI, so I would guess the list of "planned new features" for uGUI is pretty short.

6. crdmrn

crdmrn

I thought UIElements was supposed to be used to extend the Editor, not in-game.

7. Olmi

Olmi

8. Antistone

Antistone

9. crdmrn

crdmrn

Still, that's not really an answer, as UIElements is not ready for production yet. I'd like to know if there's any way to extend the UI Image component to implement TileMode, as they can be quite vital to achieve certain layouts.