Search Unity

UI Drag and Drop System

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Robotsan, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Robotsan

Robotsan

Hi , I am trying to develop basic programming interface for children, as a beginner at Unity Engine I can't understand complicated scripts. Even I watched almost all tutorials about drag and drop process still I don't know how to implement it to my project .

I tried to use this asset : https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/66449 but its script is reallt complicated for me and I couldn't edit this script as I intented.

My example panel below here;

UI_design_question.PNG

I need to achive few things ;

- Drag a object from upper panel and drop it to lower panel
    - Learn which lower panel has which objects. For exp; First lower panel has up button and second lower button has right button and so on.

How can I simply do this? Where do I start?

Thank you.

Bighero3331 likes this.
  2. TheValar

TheValar

3. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

4. Robotsan

Robotsan

Did you use Xander's Example ? His prefabs are not working or I couldn't understand them. Also when I try to open his example scene Unity crashes.

5. TheValar

TheValar

just tested it and it didn't work for me either. Could be that he's using a beta version of Unity or something idk. Recommend you go to the video I posted or check out the project that @SimonDarksideJ provided (it's a great package and I use it as a starting point for a ton of stuff)

Edit: I'm talking about the UI Extensions Project here, not the asset store package in the link. My bad :D

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    SimonDarksideJ likes this.
  6. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Also for pointing out great projects, check my sig.
    Also check out the community driven UI Extensions project, crammed full of new UI controls and source

It's a vast array of UI stuff with more being added each build.

7. walidabazo

walidabazo

Very good tutorial to how drag and drop and matching object

akeemovic likes this.
  8. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Thanks for necro-ing a +1 year old thread for a 3 min video.

9. ZoidbergForPresident

ZoidbergForPresident

Thanks for posting a more recent video! :)

10. Hashirali890

Hashirali890

what if we save it for next time what we should then what method should we use

11. LaneFox

LaneFox

Afaik the videos are still valid. They're based on the interfaces (which i don't think have changed):

IBeginDragHandler, IDragHandler, IEndDragHandler and perhaps IDropHandler

I think a lot of beginners assume that UI will include all of the general functionality that they're used to in the basic OS experience - which is unfortunately presumptuous and incorrect. The UI system and most Unity systems are not going to assume what functionality your game includes and bloat things unnecessarily other than very basic ui components and events so in the case of 'drag-n-drop' type things they simply offer interfaces for callbacks that you can use on UI components to implement this functionality on your own. You'll decide what happens when you get these callbacks and manage the dragged components yourself.

Notice that PointerEventData is passed as an argument for these callbacks and contains all of the information you need to be able to implement the functionality you need. It's simply up to you to take care of actually implementing it. The tutorials offer several ways to do this, so it's not a big mystery or magic; it's just basic development.

It is a pretty old necro-esque thread, but the topic and information seems to all still be relevant.

ImFromTheFuture likes this.
  12. barskey

barskey

Maybe I missed something, but I don't think this is a very good tutorial at all. In three minutes, they basically drag two pre-made gifs to the project, and create two Images using then. Then they drag three pre-made scripts to import them, and attach them to some game objects. And finally point at some lines in the code with the mouse.

I am pretty sure there are many other more informative tutorials out there. Just my two cents.