Search Unity

UI Builder Font complexity

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by marcospgp, Dec 5, 2021.

1. marcospgp

marcospgp

The UI Builder is not clear on the distinction between fonts and font assets. Do I have to create a font asset for each font? It seems that setting the font asset to empty (which generated the style `-unity-font-definition: none;`) causes an `Invalid value for font Keyword` warning.

On top of that, why use absolute url() paths in the generated .uss styles? (`-unity-font: url('/Assets/Main/Terrain/Editor/Fonts/Roboto/Roboto-Regular.ttf');`)
    That's not good for distributed packages, as the location may change. Why not relative paths, or let the user choose? Or better yet, an asset reference!

2. FaithlessOne

FaithlessOne

In my experience you have indeed to create a Font Asset for each font you want to use in UIToolkit. The purpose of the "-unity-font" style attribute is also questionable for me.

I also would like to use asset references with Addressables. Paths to assets may change and are not reliable. But I don't know how.

3. seyfe

seyfe

Is there any official documentation or comment on this available? Anyone from the Unity team with deeper insights maybe? :)