Search Unity

Unity UI UI blown out, text unreadable, in HDR10 Display Mode

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by sameng, Nov 19, 2021.

1. sameng

sameng

I'm very happy with Unity's HDR10 Display Mode (not to be confused with HDR rendering or color grading, please).

Unfortunately, HDR10 Display Mode also applies in a weird way to all Unity's Overlay UI. This causes all text and panels to be completely blown out, with incorrect text rendering that basically makes it really hard to reach, with extreme contrast blowing out the font-smoothing.

Because Unity's Overlay UI operates under the hood, writing to the final framebuffer, I have no idea how to fix things to make it readable. Ideally I would "tonemap" that buffer so it's in normal SDR space.

Is it possible to "tonemap" Unity's Overlay so it's not ridiculously unreadable under HDR10 displaymode?

What is the correct practice for rendering text when using HDR10 display modes?
    Do I need to create a dynamic system myself to "tonemap" all my UI Text, Image, etc components? Is this the intended way?

2. sameng

sameng

Bump...
    Overlay Mode UI is currently unusable in HDR mode.

Any devs with a HDR10 display?

More and more displays are becoming HDR nowadays.
    The popular LG OLED TVs all support HDR.
    The popular MacBook Pro 14 and 16 both come standard with a XDR (HDR1600nit) display.

PS5 and Xbox Series X both use HDR as a selling point.

Can someone confirm if this is recognized as a problem?

Repro Steps:
    1. Create Overlay UI with Text
    2. Player Settings -> Use Display in HDR mode
    3. Observe blown out, unreadable text.

Bug Submitted: CASE IN-4637

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  3. sameng

sameng

Bump,

Nobody making a game that supports HDR10?

At this point, I would even appreciate a "Won't Fix" so I can at least know UI is impossible on HDR10...

4. Ferazel

Ferazel

This is both a UnityUI and TMP issue. I wish I had good news, but we ended up not using linear color space because of the effect it would have on the fonts in the game and it looks like you're suffering from the same problem. Here's a thread about the problem: https://forum.unity.com/threads/ugui-fonts-in-linear-color-space.329629/#post-6030701

I'm not aware of any work that has been done to improve this since then. I don't think UI Toolkit handles things any differently over there either. It's like Unity/TMP are content to advertise games that use linear color space, but then not realize how much of a pain it is to work in for UI purposes. Go request better 1:1 linear support on the roadmap... it's all we can do it seems.
    https://unity.com/roadmap/unity-platform/gameplay-ui-design

5. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I'll have text QA take a look at this case. I follow up once I have more information on this.

sameng likes this.
  6. sameng

sameng

Thank you Stephan, I appreciate this. Please let me know if you need any more info.