Search Unity

uGUI source repository maintenance

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by phil-Unity, Nov 19, 2020.

?

Would Major source code version drops on Github help your development workflow

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

Hi,

As many of you might know the source repository of uGUI has both move from BitBucket to Github, and source code drops have ceased as of 2019.1 as uGUI is now a package with the source available with each Unity release.

My question is how many people would find it useful if I still did major source code version drops to Github?

2. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Applaud the move to GitHub, it will make the source more accessible to many developers.

As for source code drops, I'd have to say they are essential, especially when diagnosing issues with UI implementations. Having them on a source control site helps to view changes and updates to implementations, so history is extremely useful.

3. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

I've previously used the open-source repositories as a reference, but since the code moved to a package, I only look at those local files.

I understand the point about viewing history, but personally, never had the need to, so I'd be fine if the Github upload would stop for new post-package versions.

4. weiping-toh

weiping-toh

Using the repositories as reference only. If I ever needed to do package referencing from upm to github, it will be from my own fork. So not a real problem.

5. daklab

daklab

@phil-Unity I found this just now after Tweeting this question https://twitter.com/derekknox/status/1482015052030828545. I'll take a look shortly, but if you can add any context (assuming my answer to number 1 is mute in that they've been resolved in the package source vs. GitHub source). This would likely additionally make question two irrelevant. Your context/input here carries a lot of weight so I look forward to your perspective.

Questions are:
    1. Why is there only a v1.0.0 vs. a v1.0.1 that resolves these?
    2. Is there a "go-to" fork?